HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergeron or Urquarth??

View Poll Results: Bergeron or Urquarth?
I'm happy with Urquarth 22 47.83%
We should have taken Bergeron 24 52.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Darz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41
Its not the same thing at all. Bergeron and Urquarth were playing (in fact Urquarth is still playing there...) in QJMHL and Mtl scouts should have noticed the diamond that Bergeron is.
It's exactly the same thing. This bull about the scouts should of/could of applies to all picks. Are you telling me that the Bruins didn't have anybody scouting the 'Q' in '94? I'm sure they did. They SHOULD OF noticed Theodore.

Hindsight is ****IN beautiful. If you came in and asked this question a day, a week or even a month after the draft, you comment would make sense, but if you wait til one player makes the NHL and start up, it just makes you look like a complete ass.

Old
03-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Did you start this thread just to mock Habs' fans and the Habs' scouts on the Habs' board? Is your life really that empty? I pitty you...
I just wanted to know if biased was still there... And as the results show, people changed their minds since the start of the year (as they should have...) but there is still some Komi#1 who like Urquarth better...

I could have ask: If the draft is redone today, is Urquarth still going before Bergeron??

Old
03-16-2004, 01:34 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41
What a useless response...

In 5 years? Bergeron will have 5 years of NHL experience while Urquarth may still be trying to score 100 points in the ECHL/AHL/AMH.... Bergeron got recognition league wide with his play in the NHL as a rookie while Urquarth got only 79pts this year in Junior...
Bergeron has great maturity and talent and he IS playing in the NHL while Urquarth has some attitude problem according to some people who saw him play.

So Komi, you better keep tracking Urquarth in the Junior or AHL while Bergeron will improve his play by playing against men in the league Urquarth may never play in called the NHL...
Actually I agree with Komi that the poll is useless. We could second guess every pick made with the benefit of hindsight.

And if you were just looking for people to agree with your point of view... why start the poll?

Old
03-16-2004, 01:35 PM
tnq

If i can back to the past, i don't care what players Habs had to pick, i will buy lottory, he he, j/k. For sure i will take Bergeron if ... but the all of Habs' picks seem very good compared to Boston's. They can get Bergeron then how about others picks ?

Old
03-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Souray44

Habs Management drafts to our needs.
We need a big skilled centremen, hence we drafted Urquhart.

Urquhart looks like he has the talent to me as i'm from Ch'town and have been to about 10-15 rocket home games this year. He just needs the work ethic which I think he'll acquire soon realizing that he can't stay in the Q forever.

Vision is 20/20 in hindsight, just let it be.

Old
03-16-2004, 01:37 PM
mcphee

Yes JJ41, Bergeron has contributed in the NHL this year while the other has shown improvement in the Q. So at this point, he would be considered a steal. What will happen in their respective development is hard to predict. When you see guys producing who weren't picked in the top 35, you wonder what it was that ALL the scouts didn't see. Have you sent this to every team whose 2nd round selection is developing below the NHL level ? Somehow I don't think so. I think Darz nailed it. Don't say what the Habs should have seen, do you think noone else scouts the Q ?

Old
03-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Le depisteur

Yes, Bergeron had a better improvement this year than Urquhart, but the Montreal Canadiens organization wanted to take a chance on a big intriguing untapped talents with Urquhart instead of a unspectacular checking forward not better than Higgins and Perezhogin...

And take a glance on this:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0
As for the list itself, there is at least one area of agreement between the group that compiled the top 50 list and the one that produced HF’s organizational rankings -- the Montreal Canadiens are the current kings of the NHL prospect kingdom. The Habs placed the most prospects on our Top 50 list, with Buffalo, Detroit and Washington also being well represented.

According to the Hockey's Future, we are 1st on the NHL Organization ranking for ours prospects...

Goodbye Bruins...

Old
03-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur
According to the Hockey's Future, we are 1st on the NHL Organization ranking for ours prospects...

Goodbye Bruins...
Mtl prospects have good rankings? So what? Is Urquhart on that list? i bet no.
Is Bergeron on that list? if not who cares. He is getting recognition from everybody in the NHL while others will get no more recognition than that list.
I'm not saying Mtl does not have good prospects. They have some intriguing one for sure but i was asking about Bergeron vs Urquhart. Urquarth may play in the NHL some day (like some posters say, we'll see in 5 years...) but right now, he is way behind Bergeron in his development and he is one year older still playing in the Q. I'm glad Mtl have other options cause 5 years is a long time to wait and see...

Last edited by Jean_Jacket41: 03-16-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old
03-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Useless question since if any team in the NHL would have know about Bergeron performance of this year, he would have go top10 and higher...

You cannot go 1 year after a draft and ask which one should have been pick... Every team will have his share of "steals" in any round of the draft and it's just a matter of: which team gonna have more at the end.

Old
03-16-2004, 03:52 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I wonder how Bruins fans would react if I started a thread on their board about if they were happy they took galtender Evgeni Ryabohikov with the 21st pick in the '94 draft when Jose Theodore was still available, and taken with the 44th pick?

Go ahead post it, no sack ... :p

Just think we took the 1 hit wonder, their would be no VACHON CAKES.

Old
03-16-2004, 03:56 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

What a crappy thread. Bergeron was passed over 44 times and by 29 NHL teams and their scouts. Why pick on the Habs over the 28 other teams that passed on a good prospect. While I have a lot of concerns about Urquhart's (yes that's how you spell it not Urquarth !!) I would say Urquhart has more skill but lacks the physical play. Bergeron if picked by the Habs would still be in the Q, no doubt about it. The Habs never play 18 year olds. Mike Ribeiro was one of the better CHLers I've seen and as a 19 it just didn't work as he had no clue how to play in his own end. It's taken several years and many tough nights but Ribeiro is rounding out his game and could turn out to be a very solid NHLer. This is what it's about, not who picked who when where or how. You pick your players, you live with those picks cause you CAN'T go back and to talk about who would you take if you could is pointless cause you can't plain and simple.

If Urquhart develops into a solid NHLer good for us, if not oh well thats how it works. Scouting a player is about telling the facts. How good are they now, hows their skating, size, character etc.. and you try and guess if they can translate their skills to the NHL. Around 300 players are picked each year, yet only a handful actually make dent in the NHL, which shows how much of a crap shoot it really is. boston may have gotten a good pick, as one year doesn't make a season, good for boston.

Old
03-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
Go ahead post it, no sack ... :p

Just think we took the 1 hit wonder, their would be no VACHON CAKES.

Old
03-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
So because Bergeron made the NHL before Urquhart and was drafted after him it makes Bergeron a better player? There are currently all these players drafted before Bergeron and still not in the NHL, so by your logic Bergeron is better than all of them?

1 Marc-Andre Fleury G Cape-Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL)
5 Buffalo Thomas Vanek U. of Minnesota (NCAA)
7 Nashville Ryan Suter US National Under-18 Team
8 Atlanta Braydon Coburn D Portland Winter Hawks (WHL)
9 Calgary Dion Phaneuf D Red Deer Rebels (WHL)
10 Mtl. Canadiens Andrei Kostitsyn CSKA Moscow (Russia)
11 Philadelphia Jeff Carter C Sault-Ste.-Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
12 NY Rangers Hugh Jessiman Dartmouth College (NCAA)
14 Chicago Brent Seabrooke D Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)
15 NY Islanders Robert Nilsson Leksands IF (SEL)
16 San Jose Steve Bernier R Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)
17 New Jersey Zach Parise U. of North Dakota (NCAA)
18 Washington Eric Fehr R Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
19 Anaheim Ryan Getzlaf R Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
21 Boston Mark Stuart Colorado College (NCAA)
22 Edmonton Marc-Antoine Pouliot C Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)
23 Vancouver Ryan Kesler C Ohio State University (NCAA)
24 Philadelphia Mike Richards C Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
25 Florida Anthony Stewart L Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
26 Los Angeles Brian Boyle St. Sebastian's [Mass. H.S.]
27 Los Angeles Jeff Tambellini U. of Michigan (NCAA)
28 Anaheim Corey Perry R London Knights (OHL)
29 Ottawa Patrick Eaves Boston College (NCAA)
30 St. Louis Shawn Belle D Tri-City Americans (WHL)
31 Carolina Danny Richmond U. of Michigan (NCAA)
32 Pittsburgh Ryan Stone C Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
33 Dallas Loui Eriksson Frolunda Jrs. (Sweden)
34 Tampa Bay Mike Egener L Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
35 Nashville Konstantin Glazachev Yaroslavl Lokomotiv (Russia)
36 Dallas Vojtech Polak F Karlovy Vary HC (Czech)
37 Nashville Kevin Klein D Toronto St. Michael's Majors (OHL)
38 Florida Kamil Kreps C Brampton Battalion (OHL)
39 Calgary Tim Ramholt D Zurich (LNSw)
40 Mtl. Canadiens Cory Urquhart C Montreal Rocket (QMJHL)
41 Tampa Bay Matt Smaby Shattuck St. Mary's [Minn H.S.]
42 New Jersey Petr Vrana C Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
43 San Jose Josh Hennessy C Quebec Remparts (QMJHL)
44 Los Angeles Konstantin Pushkarev

Drafting is always a risk and is why there are so many scouts and jobs in management teams to find these prospects. Some players drafted later will outplay those drafted beforehand. AS who is known as a good judge of young talent, beamed in an interview following the draft saying Urquhart had amazing hands. Urquhart played in AS's backyard so im sure he saw something he liked in him. Bergeron may be better now, and may be better in the future, but so early in their careers its too early to make that judgement. Come back in 20 years and we will see who had the better career.

Old
03-16-2004, 04:03 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy

VIVA LA DUTCHY.. The greatest HABs poster

Old
03-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
VIVA LA DUTCHY.. The greatest HABs poster
Now, now... You're just saying that...

OT.: Where have you been? I missed you... Was it because the Habs were on a winning streak?

Old
03-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
So because Bergeron made the NHL before Urquhart and was drafted after him it makes Bergeron a better player? There are currently all these players drafted before Bergeron and still not in the NHL, so by your logic Bergeron is better than all of them?
Uh, duuuh...it's simple math. Bergeron is in the NHL and Parise and Phaneuf are not. That mean Bergeron is better than both of 'em. Your not so smart, are you?

GO BRUINS!!!

Old
03-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Uber Coca

Ouch, pretty useless thread here, being start by a Bruins fan, nothing special. How come here and ask this question one year after the draft. Come on...

Old
03-16-2004, 05:07 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
This is a kindda confusing poll...

1) Yes, I'm happy with Uruquart

2) Even, if I'm happy with Cory, if the draft was today, I would have a hard time not picking Bergeron with our 1st ...

So I guess, 2

Closed Thread