HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

individual stats

Old
03-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
individual stats

the regular season is winding down. There are some interesting conclusions to draw by looking at the stats.

Gomez -4 vs Drury at -11
Redden -6 vs Girardi at -14!
Mara +1 (19 pts) vs Staal -7 (15 pts)
Korpo -9 (in 63 games) vs Sjostrom -8 (in 74 games) vs Betts -4 in 76 games

Zherdev +8 vs Naslund - 12
Callahan +3 vs Dubinsky -4

Only Mara, Zherd, Callahan are positive players amongst those who who played regular shifts in practically all games.

antropov plays most of the season with Leafs so I am not sure how his season would look had he toiled here

not one single player has produced similar bang for buck value that Jagr did in his maligned last seasons.
He was +8 and + 26 last two seasons and 71 and 96 points respectively. None of our current leader crop comes near. I would like to know where is the value?

I simply don't think these are stats of a fundamentally sound hockey team.

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 03-31-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

What do you expect? We dont possess one forward that could even be mistaken for a first line player.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:16 PM
gravytrain6t

Well give it time. Tortorella just got here. Of course you're going to have a lot of players on the minus side playing a defensive trap system. The Rangers, under renney, simply were not scoring enough goals for players to have such a great plus/minus ratio. Gomez's is a minus four, yes. But at one time it was like a minus 10 or 11. There's probably other players as well that are slowly beginning to creep more and more toward the plus side. But, there's not enough time at this point in the season.

And fundamentally sound or not fundamentally sound, they played a great game last night. I hope they could feed off of it. Once the players fully adapt to the system that tortorella's preaching, you'll see some more fundamentally sound hockey. Even then, you're still going to have players that are on the minus side. I just wouldn't worry about that stat too much right now. Lets win hockey games.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:22 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
the regular season is winding down. There are some interesting conclusions to draw by looking at the stats.

Gomez -4 vs Drury at -11
Redden -6 vs Girardi at -14!
Mara +1 (19 pts) vs Staal -7 (15 pts)
Korpo -9 (in 63 games) vs Sjostrom -8 (in 74 games) vs Betts -4 in 76 games

Zherdev +8 vs Naslund - 12
Callahan +3 vs Dubinsky -4

Only Mara, Zherd, Callahan are positive players amongst those who who played regular shifts in practically all games.

antropov plays most of the season with Leafs so I am not sure how his season would look had he toiled here

not one single player has produced similar bang for buck value that Jagr did in his maligned last seasons.
He was +8 and + 26 last two seasons and 71 and 96 points respectively. None of our current leader crop comes near. I would like to know where is the value?

I simply don't think these are stats of a fundamentally sound hockey team.
there is no conclusion to draw here, because +/- is a fairly useless stat. If we drew conclusions from +/- wouldnt Marek Malik have been a norris trophy winner twice with his 2 years of +35 or whatever?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:27 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
What do you expect? We dont possess one forward that could even be mistaken for a first line player.
Yea but even still. Look at Kovalchuk. I don't think anyone would argue that he's not a first line player. He's a minus 12. So I don't see how there is such a high correlation between being a first line player and having a high plus to minus ratio.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:53 PM
GAGLine

These stats don't really mean much. First of all, our goal differential as a team is negative this year. That will make everyone's +/- look worse.

Year GF GA Diff
2005-06 257 215 +42
2006-07 242 216 +26
2007-08 213 199 +14
2008-09 199 208 -9

Defensively we've been pretty consistent since the lockout, but our scoring has diminished each year.

Also, you have to consider which players play in which situations. Staal averages 2 minutes more per game than Mara and is usually matched up against the other teams top line.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 05:01 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
there is no conclusion to draw here, because +/- is a fairly useless stat. If we drew conclusions from +/- wouldnt Marek Malik have been a norris trophy winner twice with his 2 years of +35 or whatever?
Fact is that when Marek Malik had a good +/- stat he was far more useful than most of fans gave him credit to....just because he made the odd mistake. His positives outweighed the bombs he threw. but this is not about Malik.

+/- is not a useless stat.

I am using it with my club and it tells a story. there is no fire without smoke.
minus figure accross the club and you will not be playing winning hockey or go far
n the playoffs especially for a defensively minded team. Add the fact that we have a HoF goalie in the making and our defensive stats are down right poor.

Drury as captain at -11, Girardi our all conquering new D at -14. Those are not
signs of greatness.

Hopefully these stats will improve under Torts but Torts didn't assemble this squad.
He just took over.

Old
04-01-2009, 06:22 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

I stand corrected of course

But the PK stats are to do with the brilliance of Betts and co.
Not our defensively minded forwards.

Old
04-01-2009, 07:34 AM
eco's bones

For the greater part of this season I think the Rangers were an easy team to play against. No real 1st line players and small and for the most part not aggressive forwards. It's not a surprise that most of our players are -. We have 2nd liners as 1st liners. 3rd liners as 2nd liners. For the most part (even after bringing in Antropov and Avery) they still don't fit their job descriptions. On defense I don't think Girardi and Staal are the big problem. Redden and despite getting his minus numbers down all year long has been a walking time bomb. It might not be quite Christian Backman terrritory but it's close. Rozsival as well I think is overrated especially as an offense producing player. He has been our primary pwp pointman--and the pwp has not produced (often because of his reluctance to shoot) which puts much more pressure on the team to score 5 on 5.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:19 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
I stand corrected of course

But the PK stats are to do with the brilliance of Betts and co.
Not our defensively minded forwards.
what do you mean? Betts/sjostrom (who have obviously been fantastic) dont play all 2:00 of every kill. Drury, Callahan, and more recently Dubi/Korpikoski have all been excellent on the PK. Even gomez when he's filled in there has done well. Not sure what it is with this group and the PK, if that could transfer over to the even strength D, we could be a DOMINANT defensive team instead of a very good one. Of course with the PK you're really dealing with less than half the ice for the most part so its a bit different...

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote