HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kaleta back Wed? Sekera Out Teppo In

Old
03-30-2009, 03:29 PM
HockeyTerror

vCash: 500
Kaleta back Wed? Sekera Out Teppo In

Per WGR:
http://www.wgr550.com/Kaleta-doing-w...esday-/4109728

HockeyTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
OpethianSabre20

Teppo's In For Sekera For The Thrashers game, Kaleta A Possibllity

Apparently Sekera admitted that he has lost his confidence. I really don't know what to say, I'm shocked to say the least. http://www.wgr550.com/Kaleta-doing-w...esday-/4109728

Quote:
The news isn't as good for Andrej Sekera. He's totally lost his confidence which he admitted today after practice. Ruff played him one shift in the third period against the Habs and with points at a premium, he's going to insert Teppo Numminen for the kid Wednesday. Ruff mentioned that when the team was going well in January, Numminen played well when paired with Jaroslav Spacek.

Last edited by OpethianSabre20: 03-30-2009 at 03:43 PM.
OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Kruschiki

Wow!

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:42 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

More on Sekera from Vogl:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...the-bench.html

Quote:
"There's a good chance that he's going to have to watch because it hasn't been a one-game struggle or a two-game," Ruff said. "It's been a good period of time, and he's having a tough time. We need to win games. I'm thinking right now that Teppo would go in."

Sekera is minus-5 in the past six games and has been making numerous mistakes. He was nailed to the end of the bench for most of the third period Saturday during the Sabres' 4-3 shootout win over Montreal.

"I fell in a deep hole," Sekera said. "I felt that way the last couple games. Anybody can see that."

Ruff said he's tried working Sekera through the slump, but with the playoffs on the line, the Sabres can't risk using a defenseman whose play and confidence are battered.

"Admittedly he's said he's never gone through something like this and everything he does is wrong," Ruff said. "We've been trying to help him, but I've seen with young guys they can have a tough time. This is a tough time of year. There's a lot of pressure. He hasn't been in a lot of these situations, and he's got to learn from them. But it'll help him grow. It'll eventually make him tougher."

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Freezerburn

That is big, I never would have thought Sekera would lose confidence that easily. I can't read the WGR story here at work, would someone mind copying the quote/interesting bit of the story over?

Freezerburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
That is big, I never would have thought Sekera would lose confidence that easily. I can't read the WGR story here at work, would someone mind copying the quote/interesting bit of the story over?
Whole thing as it's short

Quote:
Paul Hamilton Reporting

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) -- Pat Kaleta received a concussion after being hit from behind by the Canadiens Maxim Lapierre on Saturday. Lindy Ruff said the news is better than expected as he was clear all of yesterday and road the bike today. Ruff said after further testing, he may be able to practice Tuesday and could be available Wednesday. The captain was not at all pleased about the hit. Craig Rivet said, "I think it was dirty. I know Lapierre's a hard working guy but he's also border line on the dirty side. That's the way he plays. Everybody's seen the hit and they have to address it, that's the bottom line. He saw Patty Kaleta's numbers and he still took strides and he still hit him. If there's no suspension, then it's all for nothing." Lapierre will not be suspended by the NHL as its already looked at the play and ruled.

The news isn't as good for Andrej Sekera. He's totally lost his confidence which he admitted today after practice. Ruff played him one shift in the third period against the Habs and with points at a premium, he's going to insert Teppo Numminen for the kid Wednesday. Ruff mentioned that when the team was going well in January, Numminen played well when paired with Jaroslav Spacek.

Juni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

How does that happen to a guy who's been playing great all year? I'm confused. The hockey gods must really not want us to make the playoffs.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
is the answer jesus

My god not Teppo...

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:58 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
He's going to be watching from the pressbox what's he going to learn up there? On top of that you plug Teppo back in? My god...

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:01 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
How does that happen to a guy who's been playing great all year? I'm confused. The hockey gods must really not want us to make the playoffs.
Sekera has had a rough go of things in his past few games, but I would still rather have him in over Teppo. Then again, it really worries me when a guy just comes out and says that he has lost his confidence during the most important stretch of games of the year.

I guess the D will probably look like this for Wednesday.

Tallinder-Lydman
Butler-Rivet
Spacek-Numminen

EDIT: It looks like we could use a merge

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Megaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
I guess the D will probably look like this for Wednesday.

Tallinder-Lydman
Butler-Rivet
Spacek-Numminen

Yeah, that's what Ruff indicated (video is up on the Sabres Web site). It sounded like he wants someone calmer back there right now. And honestly, when Sekera is playing so badly that Ruff basically goes to a 4-man rotation in the 3rd period of a back-to-back game I don't see that there's much harm in switching Numminen in.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Ugh, just pair Spacek with Rivet and give the top 4 25 minutes each.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

wait - maybe i completely missed something, but what exactly caused sekera to lose confidence? was it a streak of a few bad games or something bigger or more specific?

wow. that's disheartening.

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Megaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
wait - maybe i completely missed something, but what exactly caused sekera to lose confidence? was it a streak of a few bad games or something bigger or more specific?

It sounds to me like it was just a streak of bad games. I assume he'd be fine if he could just play his way out of it and the problem is that Ruff can't afford to let him do that right now. It's too bad though, for sure.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
He's going to be watching from the pressbox what's he going to learn up there? On top of that you plug Teppo back in? My god...
Teppo is our softest Dman obviously but he does make nice outlet passes. Just don't count on him in the corners

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:29 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post

It's been a string of things. A lot of us didn't like his tendency to try and skate his way out of trouble in his own end at the beginning of the year, and it's catching up to him now. In recent games he's looked pretty bad, but this is after almost a calendar year of playing like a 1b/2a.

My guess is that Lindy sees the Atlanta game as one we should win (I know we're 0-0-3 against them) and a good game to send a message to Sekera. Of course, maybe we'll win that game and Ruff goes with the same 6 in Washington. We'll see.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:32 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
It makes sense.. with our dmen playing poorly we usually work the **** out of our top 4 in the 3rd period which is our worst period of play by far.

I welcome Teppo back into the lineup!

Get well soon Patty!!

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

called it... i got reamed for saying he was overrated last week. and that he basically was not the same guy in the 2nd half of the year.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:45 PM
swissy

Normally (at the beginning of the season) i would see the whole story this way:

By scratching Sekera Lindy sends the wrong message to the young guy. After all it's partly the coaching staff's job to get him to regain confidence by giving him some playing time. Talk to Reggie, work on his weaknesses and all that.

BUT, since we have to do everything to keep the playoffs just a mere possibility I think Ruff does the right move by bringing in the veteran who could share some of his experience during these difficult games and scratching Sekera who's just a liability if he thinks the way its reflected in the article.

I agree with one poster before, that if you have to bring in Teppo, why not put Spacek with Rivet and let the Top 4 D's play 25 Minutes each. It works for other teams, so why couldn't it work for us. Butler has been pretty good and I certainly like to see how the guys is improving. But at this time of the year its essential that we use our best D'men the most time possible.

swissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:49 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Teppo hasn't played in three weeks. If during this time he has rediscovered his legs from earlier in the year, it may not be a bad idea. Teppo's problems this year have stemmed from the fact that he's not able to skate like he used to, not anything to do with his hockey sense. If this brief time off has helped him get his legs back, then he'll be an asset. If not, then we're screwed, because Lindy won't take him back out until it's too late.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Whammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaera View Post
It sounds to me like it was just a streak of bad games. I assume he'd be fine if he could just play his way out of it and the problem is that Ruff can't afford to let him do that right now. It's too bad though, for sure.
I don't know what I missed. I understand the Habs game was bad, but I was at the Laff's games and he didnt seem out of place Friday night. In fact he made some good rushes out of his zone with guys on him and didnt mess up.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Teppo hasn't played in three weeks. If during this time he has rediscovered his legs from earlier in the year, it may not be a bad idea. Teppo's problems this year have stemmed from the fact that he's not able to skate like he used to, not anything to do with his hockey sense. If this brief time off has helped him get his legs back, then he'll be an asset. If not, then we're screwed, because Lindy won't take him back out until it's too late.

I don't know if he's going to be in long-term, but a fresh Teppo could be a solid addition in limited minutes. We know Ruff rides guys into dust -- he did it with Teppo previously and Patrick before that -- so the rest may have helped.

As for the doom-sayers... Sekera admits to being in a deep hole confidence-wise. Getting a game to watch, to just observe, often does a youngster a world of good.

03-30-2009, 05:13 PM
hottytoddy

It's not like we're going to make playoffs and Sekera is young. He was good earlier in the season, so we know he can play. His brain needs to be set in order, so maybe we should send him to Ryan Miller's Psychiatrist.

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

I hope Pat is back Wednesday. There have been some nights this season where Patrick Kaleta has been the only reason it was worth watching the Sabres.

Rhett4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:52 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
I'm scared of how Ruff is eventually going to ruin the rest of Sekera's career and turn him into the next Kalinin.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote