HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Letter to USA Reporter

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2004, 08:42 AM
L.I.RangerFan

vCash: 500
Letter to USA Reporter

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...h-letter_x.htm

Old
03-16-2004, 08:55 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Ms. Brennan, as a current player in the league, I took exception to your column ("If NHL vanished, who'd miss it?" March 11) about the NHL. I guess you haven't noticed that the league is in the midst of one of the closest playoff races in its history. I realize as an American that hockey is not as popular as women's golf or bowling, but it is a billion-dollar-a-year-revenue sport, and the fans are still coming. Trust me, as in baseball, people will miss it.
haha that was great.. im glad a player stepped up to defend his sport

Old
03-16-2004, 08:59 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
It'll be interesting to see if she replies. Good for Erich! I wonder if the Blues or the NHLPA vetted that letter before it was sent.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Wow. Kudos to Weinrich for using his clout as a player to stick up for his sport. I haven't heard anyone else in the NHL say the type of things he and NHL fans have said. Kudos for USA today for printing it too.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Wow. Kudos to Weinrich for using his clout as a player to stick up for his sport. I haven't heard anyone else in the NHL say the type of things he and NHL fans have said. Kudos for USA today for printing it too.
Good thing I read your post beforehand because I was going to give him kudos as well.

I was listening to your namesake (Barry Melrose) over the weekend and he gave a passioned speech about how the media blew this whole thing up. He said the suspension was warrented to Bertuzzi but the coverage was overblown. He ripped into the media as to why they don't say the same thing about baseball during a brawl. How come they don't rip the NBA when another player is found with drugs or whatever.

It was a great speech because he defended the NHL from his heart. Just like Weinrich!!!

Old
03-16-2004, 09:13 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

JD also commented last night

He said pretty much what I believe, that suddenly, all of these non-hockey clowns feel it's their job to come in and tell the hockey world how to run its game, like they have some kind of moral imperative. As JD put it, the Bertuzzi-Moore incident had nothing to do with fighting, and more to do with one player clearly stepping over the line. To indict a whole sport over the actions of a stupid individual is outrageous.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:17 AM
dedalus

I've got to agree with Brennan on this. You know you're in trouble when a player has to write, "I realize as an American that hockey is not as popular as women's golf or bowling."

Hockey fans will care; people won't. It's a little-watched sport that holds its season while there are two other major league sports and college football/basketball are playing. There are plenty of other things to watch for the average sports fan - like bowling or women's golf. (This is where baseball has its great advantage; for the sporting fan's interest it competes against nothing but MLS and WNBA. If the NBA moved to a summer sport, MLB would think several more times about its tactics and the way in which it markets its product. They're immensely fortunate they have no competitors.)

Old
03-16-2004, 12:01 PM
BigE

I'd love to comment on Ms. Brennan but...no comment.

Old
03-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

Bravo

Closed Thread