HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The SEDINS Appreciation Thread Of "We Aren't Clutch LOL"

Old
04-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Flinch*

vCash: 500
You also have to bear in mind that Alex Burrows was on the shift before and did a great job of softening Dallas up, allowing the twins to go in and work their magic on a weakened opponent.

I think also that mystic who de-cursed GM Place cast a hex on Turco...you can see him in the background, near the goal judge's spot, waving chicken entrails.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 02:53 AM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post

I think also that mystic who de-cursed GM Place cast a hex on Turco...you can see him in the background, near the goal judge's spot, waving chicken entrails.
You mean her

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:12 AM
DOOMGUY*

When they're good they're good, but let's not pretend that they aren't inconsistent. It'll be pretty hard to hand them this kind of praise after one of them takes a hooking penalty in overtime during the playoffs and it costs us a game, or if they go a month without scoring a goal after their pay raise.

DOOMGUY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:15 AM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOMGUY View Post
When they're good they're good, but let's not pretend that they aren't inconsistent. It'll be pretty hard to hand them this kind of praise after one of them takes a hooking penalty in overtime during the playoffs and it costs us a game, or if they go a month without scoring a goal after their pay raise.
if anything they've been a model of consistency over their careers

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:41 AM
TrevorLinden16

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
if anything they've been a model of consistency over their careers
I agree, find me a more consistent set of 75-85 point players post-lockout.

TrevorLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
are you for real?

they may slump once a season for a 5 or 6 game span, but so does everybody. these guys consistently put up 75 points a season. what more do you want?

They score clutch goals, they score goals to make sure that clutch goals arent needed, they score insurance goals, they score. thats the bottom line. give it a rest.

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:59 AM
hlrsr

Quote:
But only the Sedins are subject to this kind of hesitance.

Luongo can string together 20 mediocre starts and no one will question his superstar status. The Sedins can be ineffective for half a game and people will start crying.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:36 PM
DOOMGUY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post

Luongo can string together 20 mediocre starts and no one will question his superstar status. The Sedins can be ineffective for half a game and people will start crying.
It is not a matter of questioning the Sedins' status, it is a matter of recognizing their true value to this team, which is between the two extremities. Everyone is happy with them recently, myself included, but there are always going to be stretches when they are not playing the way we would like.

I don't think that this kind of bipolar criticism is exclusive to the Sedins either, Luongo wasn't very popular during his wife's pregnancy.

Old
04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:

ROFL, is is so true but also very sad.

LiveeviL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:49 PM
VanEric

Quote:

Tons of people have been questioning Luongo on here recently even when he was winning and rarely letting in more than 2 goals per game.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Moore Money

Good to see Henrik has improved his shot. I think him shooting the puck more is the key to the Sedins getting to the next level, as obvious as that might sound. Hopefully he can keep improving that area of his game.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

It's obvious that they have done a huge job in boosting Burrows game (he is putting up oints at twice the rate as before) but Burrows is boosting their game a lot too. Since coming together, they (the sedins) have combined for more than a .3PPG increase and a .15gpg increase. This has a lot to do with them having more time to work with the puck as Burrows is dynamite at getting the puck. They also finally have a linemate that can do more than find soft spots as they cycle, he helps the cycle go.

As someone alluded to, now that Henrik is shooting (he has scored more goals than daniel since the line was put together) along with getting much better on the rush, they might be able to take the next (probably last) step in their development.

I didn't look at the numbers for this part, but it is my impression that since the top two lines have been put together, the Sundin line has put up better PP numbers and the Sedins' numbers have slipped in that department. However, their overall numbers have increased meaning that their has likely been a huge increase in even strength production. Since even strength production has always translated well to the playoffs, it looks likely that their games will translate well into the playoffs this year.

They are good players, probably worth that 6M a year. Hopefully they see what having good secondary support can do for them in terms of opening up the ice a bit more and they can accept something closer to 5M a year.

kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 02:39 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
It is not a matter of questioning the Sedins' status, it is a matter of recognizing their true value to this team, which is between the two extremities. Everyone is happy with them recently, myself included, but there are always going to be stretches when they are not playing the way we would like.

I don't think that this kind of bipolar criticism is exclusive to the Sedins either, Luongo wasn't very popular during his wife's pregnancy.
Was anyone saying that we should get rid of him? That he wasn't a superstar? That he couldn't lead this team anywhere?

Not even close. That goes for this year as well.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 02:45 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Good to see Henrik has improved his shot. I think him shooting the puck more is the key to the Sedins getting to the next level, as obvious as that might sound. Hopefully he can keep improving that area of his game.
If he can produce at a 20 goal clip it puts him in a different echelon of center. A 20-60-80 guy is way more valuable than a 10-70-80 guy. Especially considering Daniel is still at a 30+ clip.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
If he can produce at a 20 goal clip it puts him in a different echelon of center. A 20-60-80 guy is way more valuable than a 10-70-80 guy. Especially considering Daniel is still at a 30+ clip.
More unique goals

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 02:56 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:

you can probably count the number of players in the league that don't go through that on one hand!

Look at the stretch that Iginla is going through now... we're talking huge games in a division lead battle and he's got 1 goal, 0 assists in his last 7 games... Lecavalier has gone 5 games without a point recently... pretty much all players around the league go through stretches when they are not playing the way that their fans expect them to.

This point keeps getting lost every season with the Sedins... seems like their critics are evaluating them in a box - without considering what other players around the league do. It's as if 1st line forwards on other teams just don't go into slumps or stretches where they aren't productive.

I've been arguing points like this about the Sedins since their rookie years and it never changes... before it was that they are 3rd line players, despite putting up 2nd line production... then they were only decent 2nd liners, despite putting up 1st line production... now that they are once again putting up 1st line numbers, people complain that they can't do it in tough games, or down the stretch... and when stats come out that they have put up points down the stretch, it's that they can't do it consistently every game... now that they are doing just that, people are waiting for them to fold in the playoffs just so they can find a reason to criticize them.

If they put up points in the playoffs, I don't doubt that there will be another excuse to trash on them.

Why can't canuck fans just appreciate what they have? We've got 2 players that will consistently put up top 10-15 stats in their position in the league year after year, while playing solid 2-way hockey and not hurting your team when they're on the ice in any capacity - 5 on 5, PP or PK - that they are placed in. Regardless of who you put beside them, they still consistently produce... and are durable players that have taken a physical toll and play in the middle of physical hockey and never miss a game!

A lot of teams would kill for that kind of consistent offensive production and durablity... but in Vancouver too many fans just need to look for reasons why they aren't good for this club.. they just can't be happy with what they have!

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:32 PM
DOOMGUY*

Quote:
Was anyone saying that we should get rid of him? That he wasn't a superstar? That he couldn't lead this team anywhere?

Not even close. That goes for this year as well.
The degree to which they criticize him is irrelevant, it's the same idea. People love Luongo when he performs well and are irritated with him when he doesn't. What have you done for me lately goes both ways, the Sedins are playing well now so they get an appreciation thread, and they will do little later and get a thread asking to trade them.

I don't think I have ever criticized the Sedins on this forum, nevermind this thread. I'm just saying that people should stop overrating them when they are playing well and underrating them when they play poorly.

Old
04-01-2009, 03:39 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Nuff Said?

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
pitseleh

Bieksa is totally in Henrik's posse.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:51 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Bieksa is totally in Henrik's posse.
Every good gangster has a goon

Old
04-01-2009, 03:52 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
That's a hilarious pic.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Dana Murzyn

That is an awesomely uncool celebration on Henrik's part.

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:02 PM
pitseleh

I bet the Sedins just switched jersies for the last month. I don't think it's a coincidence that Henrik's FO% has dipped below 50% the same month he scored 7 goals.

Either that or his whole career has been one big 'Statue of Liberty' play and now that goalies are conditioned for the pass he can score at will.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Tarpan

I really want to know why Burrows is not a regular on the PP with them yet. Seriously, is AV blind to the fact that he finally did something right and found them a good line mate?

Tarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:27 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I bet the Sedins just switched jersies for the last month. I don't think it's a coincidence that Henrik's FO% has dipped below 50% the same month he scored 7 goals.

Either that or his whole career has been one big 'Statue of Liberty' play and now that goalies are conditioned for the pass he can score at will.
He was really really committed to the long term goal of making people think he was a passer