HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, European & Juniors discussion

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2009, 09:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Wow, it would be great to see Doyle and Bourque light up their respective leagues. Doyle to me is a bit confusing. He puts up points, he fights, he has some size and yet he isnt a good prospect? I have heard he has some work-ethic problems but the kid was on pace to have more points than Grachev last season and he brings some snarl as well. What am I missing?(because I know there is something)
I don't think you're really missing anything, other than his questionable skating. He's got a good shot and knows how to use it, and as you said, he has a nice physical component to his game. Aside from the weak skating, he has the attitude issues that you mentioned, and he takes way, way too many undisciplined penalties. If he busts his ass he'll be an NHL player, but that seems to be a big if.

Also, he had that back injury last season. He'd probably have been in the neighborhood of 80+ points if not for that, and likely would have received more attention in our prospect poll.

Old
08-31-2009, 02:45 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
yea i do remember someone saying that Ronnie Sundin would have been a top-4 NHL defenseman if he was commited to staying over here. he played one game in the NHL wearing number 38... then after that season was over he left and went back to sweden because he wasnt comfortable with North America and liked playing Hockey in Sweden
I am a bit tired this morning and in a bit of a hurry so I can't check my facts, but I think it was Colin Campbell who really liked Ronnie Sundin. Then he was fired and Trots came in and wanted more mobility from the blueline and Sundin fell like a stone on the depthchards. But I am not sure it was Campbell/Trots, it could have been like Trots/Low/Muckler.

Sundin is one of thoose players who is a NHL talent, he would never have been a big asset or anything, but he should have played in the league.

Like its impossible to explain why he never made it but why 4-5 other Swedes did make it over him.

Old
08-31-2009, 03:28 AM
gravey9

Ola - I've been watching as many highlights of the top rangers prospects as I can find. And from what I can tell - it appears that Grachev and Del Zotto appear to have the most upside. Grachev is downright explosive and Del Zotto seems to have vision and agility similar to say a Zubov. But I have to say, I am not all that impressed by Anisimov. If we are lucky, he could become Antropov. But I am very concerned he will disappear for long stretches during an NHL season. He doesn't use his size much and lacks the explosiveness in his skating to be a consistent impact player.

Old
08-31-2009, 08:16 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
Ola - I've been watching as many highlights of the top rangers prospects as I can find. And from what I can tell - it appears that Grachev and Del Zotto appear to have the most upside. Grachev is downright explosive and Del Zotto seems to have vision and agility similar to say a Zubov. But I have to say, I am not all that impressed by Anisimov. If we are lucky, he could become Antropov. But I am very concerned he will disappear for long stretches during an NHL season. He doesn't use his size much and lacks the explosiveness in his skating to be a consistent impact player.
Gee, thanks for the insightful scouting report - because a few youtube clips really tell the whole story. Are there even highlight videos of AA? Kid put up a ppg in the AHL as a 21 year old...I think that merits a little excitement.

08-31-2009, 08:47 AM
Nich

seriously!

and he in what i read, is already better defensively than antorpov, a better skater, and more willing to go into the paint!

honestly, I just want 10-15 goals 20-25 assists for 30-40 points from AA. That would be a great rookie year for him in my opinion, and it is well within reach when seeing who he can play with.

Old
08-31-2009, 09:06 AM
squishy

Quote:
But I have to say, I am not all that impressed by Anisimov. If we are lucky, he could become Antropov. But I am very concerned he will disappear for long stretches during an NHL season. He doesn't use his size much and lacks the explosiveness in his skating to be a consistent impact player.
You got that from watching the half dozen or so clips of him that exist on YouTube, eh?

By the way, the longest stretch he went without a point last season was four games,which happened while he was playing through an injury. He was the Pack's most consistent player last year.

Old
08-31-2009, 09:12 AM
shea

Doyle probably would have finished with 90+ points last year if it wasn't for his injury. He missed 6-8 games and then when he was back in the lineup he wasn't the same player as the beginning of the year. IF he stays healthy this year he will have 100 points.

Old
08-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Ola

Antro is very talented with the puck, as a 18 y/o he was called a 6'6 Kazak Gretzky...

Seriously though, I do also have, and I am sure everyone have, some concerns about how Anisimovs offense will translate to the NHL.

For me that means that I am hoping that Anisimov can become somewhat of a Michael Handzus type of player. Like someone who can be a threat any time on the ice, but maybe not get to that 1st line level. Like level out at around 50-60 pts.

Anisimov have higher potential then that. But I am also a bit concerned that he could not reach the Handzus level, and go back to Russia after never really finding his place in the NHL.

Old
08-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Wow, it would be great to see Doyle and Bourque light up their respective leagues. Doyle to me is a bit confusing. He puts up points, he fights, he has some size and yet he isnt a good prospect? I have heard he has some work-ethic problems but the kid was on pace to have more points than Grachev last season and he brings some snarl as well. What am I missing?(because I know there is something)
I like Doyle to and have from the second I saw him. He is allot better then much of the crap we have seen lately, like Zabrosky and co...

His problem, and he is not without faults in any way, is that he plays kind of the same type of hockey as like Jaromir Jagr. He plays a typical style of a pure I-am-the-man goto scorer. And he do not carry the talentlevel to become that type of player in the NHL.

So if he gooing to make it he have to go from beeing like a pure sniper/offensive wiz to more of a 3rd line type of 2-way player. Thats the trick for him and its no small challenge. But he have allot of tools.

Old
08-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Levitate

I think I just wouldn't expect miracles out of Anisimov this year, and wouldn't call him a bust if he doesn't put up a ton of points yet, etc. I think he takes at least a full year to get used to the NHL before he finds out how to translate his offense.

Old
08-31-2009, 12:09 PM
broadwayblue

It's obvious AA will be a bust. I mean he played in a post season game for us and didn't even score a goal. Heck, even Korpikowski did that.

Old
08-31-2009, 12:16 PM
gravey9

Actually - at least with Anisimov - I've seen more than just some youtube clips. He's been in the system for a while now - and has been in a few pre-season games, a whole season with the wolfpack and was called up last year and sniffed a game I believe. And from what i've seen from him suggests a lack of explosiveness in his skating that I fear will make his transition to the NHL a bit harder then a Korpi, Dubi and Cally. (all of whom play with more sandpaper and speed). Furthermore - Ani's game is one that seems to require open space to be truly effective. He is not necessarily the type of physically assertive player that creates his own space. At the AHL level the speed of the game is such that he can find that space. And i'm concerned he may not always find it in the NHL. Again, this is not to say he will be a bust or anything like that. But I do think even if he scores 40 points in his rookie year - I think his ceiling is probably closer to 50-60 points. Again like Antropov. Whereas I could see Grachev one day becoming a true impact first line player.

Again, as for Ani - I have seen a number of talented Rangers prospects with somewhat similar skating styles over the years that because they were smaller only ended up getting a cup of coffee with the pro team and then vanishing within a year or two. I don't think that will happen with Ani because of his size alone. A size that may make his skating seem decievingly slower than it is - and that's what I'm hoping for. But that said, even in the bunch of clips I've seen of Grachev - you can tell there's a huge difference in skating style that I think will make Grachev's transition to the big club easier - when he is ready.

Finally, the thing that's going to help Ani more than anything is that the Rangers really are lacking anything close to a playmaking center at the NHL and AHL levels. While I am a huge Dubinsky fan - I am a tad concerned that they keep putting him in a position he does not rightfully belong as #1 center. The kid is strong on the puck, has decent vision, passes decent, has nice size, nice nose for the net, not a bad skater - He reminds me of a very young Adam Graves - who most of you will remember came up as a center (with detroit, then oilers) before being turned into a power forward type by the Rangers. I think this is where Dubi will ultimately flourish in the NHL provided someone impresses upon him the importance of working on the power and release of his shot (like Graves did during his early days with the Rangers).

Old
08-31-2009, 01:34 PM
D713B

Quote:
Actually - at least with Anisimov - I've seen more than just some youtube clips. He's been in the system for a while now - and has been in a few pre-season games, a whole season with the wolfpack and was called up last year and sniffed a game I believe. And from what i've seen from him suggests a lack of explosiveness in his skating that I fear will make his transition to the NHL a bit harder then a Korpi, Dubi and Cally. (all of whom play with more sandpaper and speed). Furthermore - Ani's game is one that seems to require open space to be truly effective. He is not necessarily the type of physically assertive player that creates his own space. At the AHL level the speed of the game is such that he can find that space. And i'm concerned he may not always find it in the NHL. Again, this is not to say he will be a bust or anything like that. But I do think even if he scores 40 points in his rookie year - I think his ceiling is probably closer to 50-60 points. Again like Antropov. Whereas I could see Grachev one day becoming a true impact first line player.

Again, as for Ani - I have seen a number of talented Rangers prospects with somewhat similar skating styles over the years that because they were smaller only ended up getting a cup of coffee with the pro team and then vanishing within a year or two. I don't think that will happen with Ani because of his size alone. A size that may make his skating seem decievingly slower than it is - and that's what I'm hoping for. But that said, even in the bunch of clips I've seen of Grachev - you can tell there's a huge difference in skating style that I think will make Grachev's transition to the big club easier - when he is ready.

Finally, the thing that's going to help Ani more than anything is that the Rangers really are lacking anything close to a playmaking center at the NHL and AHL levels. While I am a huge Dubinsky fan - I am a tad concerned that they keep putting him in a position he does not rightfully belong as #1 center. The kid is strong on the puck, has decent vision, passes decent, has nice size, nice nose for the net, not a bad skater - He reminds me of a very young Adam Graves - who most of you will remember came up as a center (with detroit, then oilers) before being turned into a power forward type by the Rangers. I think this is where Dubi will ultimately flourish in the NHL provided someone impresses upon him the importance of working on the power and release of his shot (like Graves did during his early days with the Rangers).
I think you swung and missed when talking about Arty's skating. He's a better skater than what you have him pegged for. His skating will not be an issue for him at the NHL level.

Old
08-31-2009, 06:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I don't know if Heikkinen is going to make the team but I do know this -- you don't understand that every player is different and the circumstances at any given time could be different. Don Maloney told me several years ago that Sundin would
have been a top 4 defenseman for the Rangers if they could only get him to come over and stay. I hope as you get older you study the game a little more because you sound like a fantasy GM and someone who doesn't really understand player evaluation.
Ken Campbell penned an article in the THN Yearbook. Who is the next Lidstrom? He forget to mention Heikkinen in the article.

Who are you Scotty Bowman?

Is that you Scotty? Are you hitting them straight in Sarasota?

All this because I had the audacity to put Heikkinen in a different group of players.

Old
08-31-2009, 06:05 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Ryan Bourque, the youngest son of Hall of Famer Raymond, will play for the Remparts this season as well, on a line probably with Avalanche draftee, center Kelsey Tessier. Ryan is still a bit small, but we hear he is one of the fastest skater prospects to come into the QMJHL in years
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009...onday-musings/

Old
09-02-2009, 04:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Wisconsin hockey blog

Quote:
First Pairing=Ryan McDonagh-Jake Gardiner

The truth is, if Ryan McDonagh went pro over the summer, he would be in the Rangers lineup by mid-season. He will be the Badgers #1 defenseman in every on ice situation. He's got a great first pass and at the end of last season was our most physical defenseman.

Gardiner is a smooth skater who can benefit from McDonagh's smarts. Gardiner played in this spot for a while last year while people were injured and he stepped up as an 18 year old freshman. People need to keep in mind that Jake Gardiner has only played defense for two seasons. One in high school and one for the Badgers. All you have to do is look at how far he's come since then to realize how high his potential is. He could end up being the best player out of this group when it's all said and done.
Quote:
Mark Osiecki is going to have a fun time working with this bunch. We're a solid 9 deep on the defensive side of the puck. That means that there is going to be a ton of competition and hopefully it can help our in-experienced goaltenders. McDonagh is for sure a pre-season All-American and likely Hobey candidate. Smith, Goloubef, and Gardiner all could bust out and be an absolute super star in this league this season. The player I'm most looking forward to watching is Schultz. I think that he could really shore up the problems the Badgers have had in the past with the third pairing.

It should really be a fun year to watch Wisconsin hockey.
http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...esdefense.html

Old
09-02-2009, 04:39 PM
FLYLine24*

I still can't believe we got him

Old
09-02-2009, 04:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Leo Lalonde Trophy (Overager of the Year) Luke Pither
Another extremely wide open award, this year's crop of overagers should be epic. I went with Luke Pither because I expect him to carry over his success in Belleville last year, to his new team in Barrie. He'll be playing with just just as much talent as was in Belleville last year and if you pro-rate his stats with the Bulls to a full year, he would have had a 120 point season. Obviously his former teammate Bryan Cameron (and possibly future teammate, wink wink), would be a strong candidate should he return to the league. A guy I feel strongly has a legit chance is Guelph's captain and recent Hurricanes draft pick Matt Kennedy. Kennedy does just about everything for Guelph and could be capable of putting up an 80 point season. Lastly, how can you overlook last year's second leading goal scorer, Brett Parnham, should he return.
Quote:
2nd
C Jeff Skinner
LW Chris MacKinnon
RW Matt Kennedy
D Cam Fowler
D John Moore
G Scott Stajcer
Coach Steve Spott

3rd
C Luke Pither
LW Josh Brittain
RW John McFarland
D Michael Del Zotto
D Brian Lashoff
G Michael Hutchinson
Coach Bob Boughner
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/200...and-final.html

Old
09-02-2009, 04:45 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Who is Luke Pither? Did we invite him to one of our camps?

Old
09-02-2009, 05:15 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I still can't believe we got him
I'm right there with you...before the drama of Cherepanov dropping in 2007, McDonagh was someone I thought could be an option for the Rangers at 17.

Old
09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Who is Luke Pither? Did we invite him to one of our camps?
Pither participated in the Rangers prospect camp in late June/early July. He is on the Rangers roster for the Traverse City tournament. If the Rangers signed him to an ELC and allowed him to play in the OHL as an overager,he would count against the 50 contract limit because of his age. Maybe the Rangers sign him to an ELC if they can create room and assign him to HFD.The Rangers obviously like him so he could someone to watch for next spring when the Rangers start signing players to AHL contracts and then to NHL contracts next summer.

Old
09-02-2009, 05:54 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What are those rosters at the end for? It can't be for over- agers because MDZ won't be an over-ager, neither will Stajcer.

Old
09-02-2009, 05:56 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
What are those rosters at the end for? It can't be for over- agers because MDZ won't be an over-ager, neither will Stajcer.
Projected 1st,2nd and 3rd team OHL all-stars.

Old
09-02-2009, 06:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Wisconsin hockey team met today with Mike Eaves

The boys began school today

http://twitter.com/BadgerMHockey

http://******/nP8s

It's All About Building Ships

Old
09-02-2009, 07:42 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/27713-.html

Quote:
The Hot List: Young prince

-------

5. Ryan Bourque, LW – Quebec Remparts (QMJHL): Finding early success can really help a prospect and Bourque is on the right track. The NTDP grad is already contributing offensively for the loaded Remparts and can be a real threat despite being just 5-foot-9, 163 pounds. Drafted 80th overall by the New York Rangers in 2009.

Closed Thread