HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, European & Juniors discussion

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2009, 08:49 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
The Bigger Picture: While he was learning the game that now occupies so much of his life, Stepan admits that skating didn’t come naturally, and he needed extra work to develop the mobility needed to make him a complete player. Stepan also learned ways to capture and control the puck without being the biggest or fastest skater. As his skating skills grew, his self-taught puck-control abilities became that much more effective. Along with much of his Wisconsin team, Stepan spent a good portion of the summer in Madison, working hard on and off the ice to improve strength and stamina. Another part of his summer was spent in Lake Placid, attending the training camp and tryouts for Team USA’s entry at the 2010 World Junior Championship. With an extra season of skill development under his belt, Stepan is working toward spending a holiday break in Saskatchewan and one April weekend in Detroit.
Quote:
The only Wisconsin freshmen this decade to record more than Derek Stepan's 33 points in 2008-09 were Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski and Kyle Turris.
http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...-derek-stepan/

Old
09-02-2009, 09:18 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Projected 1st,2nd and 3rd team OHL all-stars.
Man Greg Nemisz as a 1st team all-star? Besides his size the guy is unspectacular in every aspect. He put up 77 points in 65 games playing with the likes of Hall, Loktionov, Ellis, Henrique, Timmins, Mitchell and Kweit, I don't expect much from him this year.

I was thinking that Del Zotto is a little too low on the list for all-star teams, but than I looked at the 4 D ahead of him, and I can't complain. There is some seriously talented players in the OHL this year.

Old
09-03-2009, 08:36 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Another goal and assist for Bourque tonight. Gives him 4G/3A in the 4 preseason games.

Old
09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Another goal and assist for Bourque tonight. Gives him 4G/3A in the 4 preseason games.
Wow, if he keeps this up the Rangers should just give up on drafting everywhere but the 3rd round.

Old
09-03-2009, 10:24 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Ryan played with two different players tonight: C David Gilbert (Chicago's 2009 7th rd pick) and RW Dmitry Kugryshev (Washington's 2008 2nd rd pick). Bourque and Kugryshev had a lot of chemistry going on. Ryan plays the point on the PP, still some things to learn but he moves the puck well and has a great shot.

Really, I didn't think he would be that good. I was expecting something like a 60-ish points season... I think I should raise my expectations.

Old
09-03-2009, 10:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Thanks for the information, Serge.

Old
09-03-2009, 11:30 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Pither participated in the Rangers prospect camp in late June/early July. He is on the Rangers roster for the Traverse City tournament. If the Rangers signed him to an ELC and allowed him to play in the OHL as an overager,he would count against the 50 contract limit because of his age. Maybe the Rangers sign him to an ELC if they can create room and assign him to HFD.The Rangers obviously like him so he could someone to watch for next spring when the Rangers start signing players to AHL contracts and then to NHL contracts next summer.
If he signs ELC, he cannot play as an overage player in junior.

Old
09-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Cherepanisimov

Pack sign Jean-Philipp Chabot, apparently.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=18789

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/s...americaine.php(french)
http://translate.google.com/translat...state0=&swap=1

Old
09-04-2009, 10:13 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Chris Doyle, signed by the N.Y. Rangers over the summer to a three-year entry-level deal, wont play in the rookie tournament in Michigan or attend the Rangers main camp because of a healing back injury.

Hes cleared for the QMJHL season, but doctors were concerned about possible damage to his back skating against NHL-level players.

But Doyle said hes not concerned.

They (Rangers) like what theyve seen (here). Im looking to have the best year of my career. Im not too worried about it. It only goes up, right?
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=283850&sc=99

Old
09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
If he signs ELC, he cannot play as an overage player in junior.
Really?

Tysen Dowzak signed an ELC as a 20 year old and played as an overager in the WHL last season.

Sam Klassen signed an ELC this summer and the Rangers could send him back to Saskatoon as an overager. Saskatoon does not expect the Rangers to send him back.

Tomas Kundratek is in the same boat.

Quote:
Goaltender Braden Holtby and defenceman Sam Klassen are also eligible to return as 20-year-old players, but they're expected to play with the AHL affiliates of the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers, respectively
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...317/story.html

Old
09-05-2009, 08:46 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
No doubt that's good to see, but that paper is still the only media outlet saying he has signed the ELC. Meanwhile, three days prior to that article, Leslie posted this in her prospect rankings:

Quote:
Doyle is known for his offensive prowess, and is expected to become of the QMJHL’s league leaders in points during the 2009-10 season. He has already shown that he can be an impact player in his pre-season games with the PEI Rocket. However, questions continue to surface regarding work ethic issues and his defensive positional play. It remains to be seen as to whether Doyle can change his habits sufficiently to fulfill his potential this season. This is without a doubt a very important year for Doyle, as the Rangers must make a decision regarding his contract status prior to June 1, 2010.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ects_fall2009/

And two weeks ago, Prospect Park had this:

Quote:
Doyle as well as 6th round pick Mitch Gaulton are the only members of the 2008 Ranger draft class who have not been signed to contracts.
http://www.theprospectpark.org/2009/...y-started.html

I certainly hope that the local paper is right. You would think they have access to the player and they appear to be getting more assertive in their statements. But even so, it seems a bit fishy with the editor changing the quotes from the kid to make them more definitive and no direct attribution on the source saying he has a contract (in both articles the reporter simply states that he has signed the contract and doesn't say the Rangers announced it or the prospect told them). Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but until I see it on capgeek, read one of the beat writers or Leslie reporting it or see it on the Rangers' website, there will remain a niggling little doubt in the back of my mind...

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 09-05-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old
09-05-2009, 09:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
No doubt that's good to see, but that paper is still the only media outlet saying he has signed the ELC. Meanwhile, three days prior to that article, Leslie posted this in her prospect rankings:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ects_fall2009/

And two weeks ago, Prospect Park had this:

http://www.theprospectpark.org/2009/...y-started.html

I certainly hope that the local paper is right. You would think they have access to the player and they appear to be getting more assertive in their statements. But even so, it seems a bit fishy with the editor changing the quotes from the kid to make them more definitive and no direct attribution on the source saying he has a contract (in both articles the reporter simply states that he has signed the contract and doesn't say the Rangers announced it or the prospect told them). Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but until I see it on capgeek, read one of the beat writers or Leslie reporting it or see it on the Rangers' website, there will remain a niggling little doubt in the back of my mind...
On offense to Leslie or Rubenstein, the guy from PEI Guardian who is the beat writer for the PEI Rocket would know every in and out regarding that team and its players. Doyle indicated he has spoken to Rangers(probably their QMJHL scout Daniel Dore)and they are pleased with performance in the pre-season.

Old
09-05-2009, 09:33 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
On offense to Leslie or Rubenstein, the guy from PEI Guardian who is the beat writer for the PEI Rocket would know every in and out regarding that team and its players. Doyle indicated he has spoken to Rangers(probably their QMJHL scout Daniel Dore)and they are pleased with performance in the pre-season.
I hear ya. I just posted a comment on Leslie's new blog pointing out the articles. Maybe she can get further confirmation.

Regardless, it's nice to see that he may be in the fold. One of my favorite prospects based on what I've read and the limited youtube clips available.

He scores...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apwa5XRTPCQ

...hits...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UexhcHOzsrE

...and fights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxwZUm68FVk

He's a project, no doubt, but he has great upside.

Old
09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Doyle suspended four games

The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Disciplinary Prefect today announced that forward Chris Doyle of the P.E.I. Rocket has been suspended for a total of four games for purposely colliding with an official...
Complete news:

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/?page..._nouvelle=2183

Old
09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
ThirdEye

Why the hell would he do something that dumb?

Old
09-08-2009, 08:06 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post

Way to start off the season Doyle, by being suspended for the first 4 games.

Bonehead move.

Old
09-08-2009, 08:06 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Doyle is starting to remind me of Steve Downie. Just much less vicious.

Old
09-08-2009, 08:07 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Doyle is starting to remind me of Steve Downie. Just much less vicious.
Well I wouldnt go that far, but it was something stupid that Downie would pull (and has i'm sure). I don't believe Doyle has a history of this so hopefully its a one time brain fart.

Old
09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Well I wouldnt go that far, but it was something stupid that Downie would pull (and has i'm sure). I don't believe Doyle has a history of this so hopefully its a one time brain fart.
I haven't read anything that indicates a pattern of abusive behavior. However, we've all heard about the apparent issues with work ethic and dedication to bettering himself. He's making things tough for himself by creating a new incident before dispelling any previous concerns...

Old
09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Doyle has a huge history of stupid ****. Doyle has major, major attitude problems and it is why he fell so far in the draft.

Old
09-08-2009, 08:57 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Doyle has a huge history of stupid ****. Doyle has major, major attitude problems and it is why he fell so far in the draft.
Well I haven't heard that and if he does then he apparently doesnt bring it on the ice since I think this is the first or 2nd time hes been suspended in 3 seasons. Additionally he only averages about 65 PIMs a year. So if he was doing stupid crap on the ice he would be getting quite a few 10 minute misconducts and game misconducts as Downie got in every leagues he's been in.

Old
09-08-2009, 11:16 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Really?

Tysen Dowzak signed an ELC as a 20 year old and played as an overager in the WHL last season.

Sam Klassen signed an ELC this summer and the Rangers could send him back to Saskatoon as an overager. Saskatoon does not expect the Rangers to send him back.

Tomas Kundratek is in the same boat.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...317/story.html
You are right and I am wrong. I apologize. I asked this question to an NHL official and because of how I phrased the question, I got the wrong answer.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:32 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Well I haven't heard that and if he does then he apparently doesnt bring it on the ice since I think this is the first or 2nd time hes been suspended in 3 seasons. Additionally he only averages about 65 PIMs a year. So if he was doing stupid crap on the ice he would be getting quite a few 10 minute misconducts and game misconducts as Downie got in every leagues he's been in.
He's right, he has an history of doing stupid things like that. Good player, but bad attitude on and off the ice somtimes. That's the main reason why he hasn't been invited to any Canadian National camp since the U18 tournament in 2007. Downie was part of Canadian teams because he was ok off the ice.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:42 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
He's right, he has an history of doing stupid things like that. Good player, but bad attitude on and off the ice somtimes. That's the main reason why he hasn't been invited to any Canadian National camp since the U18 tournament in 2007. Downie was part of Canadian teams because he was ok off the ice.
Yup. Doyle is an absolute head case and it's been known since we drafted him (he would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick if he wasn't).

Old
09-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Levitate

Sometimes guys grow up and stop acting stupid, and sometimes they don't. If he doesn't, it's just a 5th round pick.

Sometimes I wonder if the hockey culture in juniors, etc, promotes this type of behavior, but then I remember that some people are just *******s and there's no excusing their behavior in any way

Closed Thread