HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gretzky on Lisin

Old
04-01-2009, 07:41 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 737
Gretzky on Lisin

From the pre-game coach's show:

Gretzky: "Enver is a guy... we can't put a finger on it."

Says Lisin has NHL skills but not NHL consistency.

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:43 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

vCash: 500
Enver is a guy?!

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:44 PM
PhoPhan

Doesn't seem like a shocking development. If there's one thing that any of us know about Enver Lisin, it's that Wayne Gretzky has no idea how to work with him.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:48 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 737
Follow-up... Tyson Nash interviewed Enver just now, and Lisin's English is still really awful. It's better than it was a year ago but maybe that's one of Gretzky's problems, being able to either understand Enver or get Lisin to understand him.

Lisin did say he loves Phoenix and likes the NHL, but misses the bigger ice in Russia.

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:54 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Follow-up... Tyson Nash interviewed Enver just now, and Lisin's English is still really awful. It's better than it was a year ago but maybe that's one of Gretzky's problems, being able to either understand Enver or get Lisin to understand him.

Lisin did say he loves Phoenix and likes the NHL, but misses the bigger ice in Russia.
You have to understand him to get to him to understand you. I don't know if he's clicking with Gretz and Co...then again, I question that about a lot of the guys.

dafranchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

so the big question is....do you think we will sign him or trade him?

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:24 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
From the pre-game coach's show:

Gretzky: "Enver is a guy... we can't put a finger on it."

Says Lisin has NHL skills but not NHL consistency.

Wayne needs to take is goddamned finger and point it squarely at himself. He's a ****ing tee-ball coach.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:24 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
so the big question is....do you think we will sign him or trade him?
I hope we dump Wayne and keep Enver. It will probably be the other way around.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Makes me sick.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:33 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Keep in mind TGO hated Yandal at one point, now Keith is getting quite a bit of ice time.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:03 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Keep in mind TGO hated Yandal at one point, now Keith is getting quite a bit of ice time.
Hated him is a little excessive...he was really frustrated with him.

Honestly, I think Lisin goes home. I would like him to stay and show everyone the talent and ability he has. But the more uncomfortable he is here, the more likely he'll just pack it up and call it an NHL career and play in the KHL. Unless there is a franchise that can turn him and sign him. Washington and Detroit would be my front runners.

Old
04-01-2009, 11:08 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
He is still young and needs lots of coaching + opportunity. But I think that statement says that there is a 30/70 chance he'll be back/gone. Maybe he needs a change in scenery though, it did a world's wonder for Grabovsky to get out of Montreal -The opportunity/enviroment just wasn't there for success.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:22 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

It makes me sick to my stomach to think he won't be back but I have the same feeling. It makes me wonder who he lives with and if the team even considered placing him with someone who could mentor him or if they just said welcome to the NHL and America, figure it out.

I mean we don't have any other Russians on the team except for Bryz and if he is doing the day to day stuff it is probably not much since he has a young family.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:22 PM
BigJCaRoach
I howl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I am sure you are going to be right... unfortunately. He's a restricted free agent at seasons end. He is KHL bound next year. back to those larger Russian rinks.

BigJCaRoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:41 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJCaRoach View Post
I am sure you are going to be right... unfortunately. He's a restricted free agent at seasons end. He is KHL bound next year. back to those larger Russian rinks.
I'm sure that is the leverage that he and his agent will try to use but let's be honest here folks... the KHL is not paying money like they used to. They are a league dependent upon oil money and with oil well below the peak we saw a year ago the league is in financial turmoil. They already asked their players to take a 40% rollback in salaries in January.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 12:02 AM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I'm sure that is the leverage that he and his agent will try to use but let's be honest here folks... the KHL is not paying money like they used to. They are a league dependent upon oil money and with oil well below the peak we saw a year ago the league is in financial turmoil. They already asked their players to take a 40% rollback in salaries in January.
True but Lisin is very family oriented. I don't know how much at all they've visited over the regular season but I know he's extremely close to them. Taking a cut to get mom's borsch might win out.

Old
04-02-2009, 12:13 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootThePuckCoyotes View Post
I mean we don't have any other Russians on the team except for Bryz and if he is doing the day to day stuff it is probably not much since he has a young family.
What about Tikhonov and Kalinin?

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 12:47 AM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
What about Tikhonov and Kalinin?
I keep forgetting Tiki is Russian...lol and I considered Kalinin but I consider him just a rental. Shoot after the trade there was a long road trip and so he has only been here a few weeks himself. I hope he isn't trusted with that responsibility.

Anyway I hope him and Tiki are hanging out cause they are both young and might have some things in common.

Question: If we make Lisin an offer and he declines and goes back to Russia will we still hold his NHL rights. I would think so, right?

Old
04-02-2009, 08:27 AM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

I'm not sure if anyone heard Lisin's interview (I'm pretty sure it was during the pregame show of the radio feed last night). Anyway, he said he prefers the North American game to the Russian game which is more defensive. He said he likes the smaller rink and the faster pace. He also said that he likes the American lifestyle, and Phoenix is an "awesome" city. When asked what he missed the most about Russia, he said his friends. He said it was difficult his first year being away, but that now he has friends here so it's not that bad being away. He also likes having guys like Bryz, Tikhonov, and Kalinen that he can hang out with and speak his native language, etc. Basically, the kid wants to be here. Everything that I heard him say contradicts the idea that he's going to run back to Russia and the KHL.

I completely agree that Gretzky has something against Lisin, and that's affecting his judgement. I get that he lacks consistencey, but the kid is still young. Play him with Lombardi and Upshall. I think their style will rub off on him and the consistency of his effort will improve. A team like the Yotes needs a flashy player like Enver. This kid can bring excitement that'll put butts in the seats.

Gretzky is a fool.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 08:59 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes View Post
I'm not sure if anyone heard Lisin's interview (I'm pretty sure it was during the pregame show of the radio feed last night). Anyway, he said he prefers the North American game to the Russian game which is more defensive. He said he likes the smaller rink and the faster pace. He also said that he likes the American lifestyle, and Phoenix is an "awesome" city. When asked what he missed the most about Russia, he said his friends. He said it was difficult his first year being away, but that now he has friends here so it's not that bad being away. He also likes having guys like Bryz, Tikhonov, and Kalinen that he can hang out with and speak his native language, etc. Basically, the kid wants to be here. Everything that I heard him say contradicts the idea that he's going to run back to Russia and the KHL.

I completely agree that Gretzky has something against Lisin, and that's affecting his judgement. I get that he lacks consistencey, but the kid is still young. Play him with Lombardi and Upshall. I think their style will rub off on him and the consistency of his effort will improve. A team like the Yotes needs a flashy player like Enver. This kid can bring excitement that'll put butts in the seats.

Gretzky is a fool.
I agree fully. We need Enver in Phoenix. Wayne, not so much.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:38 AM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes View Post
I hope he's being truthful...but what would you expect him to say when he's put on the spot like that? Do you really think he's gonna to talk **** about the team while he's there.

The biggest thing with him is trust and confidence. If the organization can't build that bridge...then I'll be the pessimist and say he's not long for the desert sun.

Again, I want him to stay...don't get me wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-02-2009, 10:30 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dahlia View Post
I hope he's being truthful...but what would you expect him to say when he's put on the spot like that? Do you really think he's gonna to talk **** about the team while he's there.

The biggest thing with him is trust and confidence. If the organization can't build that bridge...then I'll be the pessimist and say he's not long for the desert sun.

Again, I want him to stay...don't get me wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Posted via Mobile Device
All the players say the politically right things when being interviewed.
What is needed is for GTO to show confidence in Lisin. Trust and confidence works both ways. Is Lisin being punished for his past decision to go back to his homeland?

Old
04-02-2009, 10:50 AM
HoosierDaddy

From the title I thought Gretz was on some kind of new depression medication.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:54 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
From the title I thought Gretz was on some kind of new depression medication.
Prescription or over the counter?
Regular or extra strength?

Old
04-02-2009, 11:55 AM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dahlia View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
This is so true...last night I couldn't sleep and was bored so I went on Russian Prospects website and read interviews from him in the past. He needs trust and instruction. He knows that he needs to improve and wants his coaches to help him by being specific. This has been is attitude his entire career even before the draft. After reading those interviews it is clear to me that he wants to be in the NHL. He wants to get better defensively and he needs a little extra communication from his coaches.