HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chris Higgins?

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2004, 10:12 AM
tnq

vCash: 500
Christopher Higgins

how good this guy is ?Is he as good as Stephen Weiss

Last edited by tnq: 03-16-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old
03-16-2004, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnq
how good this guy is ?Is he as good as Stephen Weiss
He's very good, I saw him at the rookie tournament and he was the best player of all teams, except for maye Eric Stall, but he's got all the skills, skating, passing, shooting, intensity, he's not afraid to go in the trenches, he's very poised and he'll be the type of player you can put in any situation...I think alot of people don't realize just how good he'll be, he'll make the team out of training camp for sure next year

Old
03-16-2004, 10:29 AM
tnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
He's very good, I saw him at the rookie tournament and he was the best player of all teams, except for maye Eric Stall, but he's got all the skills, skating, passing, shooting, intensity, he's not afraid to go in the trenches, he's very poised and he'll be the type of player you can put in any situation...I think alot of people don't realize just how good he'll be, he'll make the team out of training camp for sure next year
yeah, i heard alot of good thing about him as well Stephen Weiss. Both are same size, same age. Both are 2 ways forward so do you think which one is better

Old
03-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Souray44

I wish I could have seen him in the rookie tournament or throughout training camp but in the 2 games he played with the habs at the first of the year he looked to have a good build and was strong on his skates playing a smart game.

Looking forward to seeing him next year.

Old
03-16-2004, 11:09 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
He's IMO, the most blue chip prospect we have.

A top-6 forward that can do it all and with grit and passion..

Old
03-16-2004, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnq
yeah, i heard alot of good thing about him as well Stephen Weiss. Both are same size, same age. Both are 2 ways forward so do you think which one is better
Hmmm tough, i'm pretty high on Weiss...i'd say Weiss has more offensive potential then Higgins, but Higgins is the more complete player, he's more solid on his skates and involves himself in the 3 zones

Old
03-16-2004, 11:46 AM
tnq

thx, good job AS. Weiss was 4th pick over all

Last edited by tnq: 03-16-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old
03-16-2004, 12:16 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Don't you just wish though that he was maybe 6 inchs taller... then we'd have the perfect big centre we've been crying out for!!! I can't wait to see him next year, at the tryouts... he'll be itching to make the team.. good luck Mister Higgins!!!

Old
03-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Hmmm tough, i'm pretty high on Weiss...i'd say Weiss has more offensive potential then Higgins, but Higgins is the more complete player, he's more solid on his skates and involves himself in the 3 zones
I like that he's versitile positionally as well. That helped Ryder secure his spot, and I think it will make it easier to bring Higgins up as well.

Old
03-16-2004, 12:34 PM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I like that he's versitile positionally as well. That helped Ryder secure his spot, and I think it will make it easier to bring Higgins up as well.
Once again he's a great two way hockey player... i guy who will fit in really well in CJ's system... i think aswell if Dowd sticks around he could learn alot from him... But yeah completely agree... ryder is a tough player can work it in various situations and is flexible... that felxibilty has reaped rewards this year.. so fingers crossed for higgins huh???

Old
03-16-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Hab
Don't you just wish though that he was maybe 6 inchs taller... then we'd have the perfect big centre we've been crying out for!!! I can't wait to see him next year, at the tryouts... he'll be itching to make the team.. good luck Mister Higgins!!!
From what i've seen, his stature won't be that big of an issue in the NHL

Old
03-16-2004, 01:02 PM
English Hab

Quote:
From what i've seen, his stature won't be that big of an issue in the NHL
I had read that somewhere... but don't you get a little concerned though.. i mean if hes good enough let him play, though theres something more reassuring when you realise the kids 6'2" and not 5'11" and its hitting others hard and doing the dirty work along the boards???

Old
03-16-2004, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I had read that somewhere... but don't you get a little concerned though.. i mean if hes good enough let him play, though theres something more reassuring when you realise the kids 6'2" and not 5'11" and its hitting others hard and doing the dirty work along the boards???
I know what you mean, but alot of tough players are under 6 feet, Morrow, Peca, Madden, the list goes on...Higgins will be one of those types of players, by the time he's in the NHL he should be at around 200lbs and at 5"11 it's decent size

Old
03-16-2004, 01:10 PM
tnq

you forgot Sakic he is under 6'

Old
03-16-2004, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnq
you forgot Sakic he is under 6'
true, true...Drury is another one, the list goes on and on

Old
03-16-2004, 01:20 PM
English Hab

That Big C will just have to go on the christmas list!!!!

Quote:
true, true...Drury is another one, the list goes on and on
true true true... and i cannot fault the facts you have given me... i just so how wish he was the BIG centre we want... Ribiero adn koivu great players though small... I just suppose !!!! really want a big centre.. sorry boys... i guess i'll have to put it on mu list for christmas next year... even whilst Higgins is playing his heart out next year for us and once again giving us another standout rookie via for the calder!!!! but we all have out Habs want lists right?????

Old
03-16-2004, 01:23 PM
English Hab

sorry boys, about the last reply... the grammar and spelling are terrible... you'd never guess i'm a teacher would you!!!! oh well i hope you get the idea of what i'm trying to say.... sorry once again...

Old
03-16-2004, 01:43 PM

Quote:
sorry boys, about the last reply... the grammar and spelling are terrible... you'd never guess i'm a teacher would you!!!! oh well i hope you get the idea of what i'm trying to say.... sorry once again...
LOL! it's ok, even teachers are allowed to make mistakes...a big center is on my wish list as well, but more importantly a center who plays with agression, and I think Higgins brings that element to the table...

Old
03-16-2004, 03:23 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I like Higgins a lot and he could be our top prospect, as his game translates to the NHL better then any prospect we have cause he plays such a smart all round game. He's solid in every aspect of the game, just needs to get used to the much much longer season, as 29 games a season in the NCAA where you play only on fridays and saturdays is a big difference from AHL life.

His size doesnt' worry me much at all, as he has the speed, positional smarts and body frame to endure big hits (unless they are to his head like the cheap shot he got from that jerk Mcallister ) Higgins for a smaller guy is very thick upper body. I'd bet he spends a lot of time and engery working out.

Old
03-16-2004, 03:31 PM
mcphee

montreal, I assume you've seen the most of him, do you see a center or a winger ? I wasn't sure if they put him on the wing as a long term move or to get him in the NHL faster.

Old
03-16-2004, 03:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
montreal, I assume you've seen the most of him, do you see a center or a winger ? I wasn't sure if they put him on the wing as a long term move or to get him in the NHL faster.

I wouldn't say cause I think he can play either one and be fine. He's played both this year, as for his future position who knows. With only 4 centers making the team he is better off on the wing, but he can play both. He shoots well and passes well, so he fits on the wing or center, just that he's so smart in all zones and at center is where we'll need his defensive game, but it seems the Habs may want him on the wing.

Old
03-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Rahan

Personally I would like him as a center, because the guy is someone that makes his linemates better, he's such a smart player and can make great plays. He's good on the wing too, but you're more confined to a small "hallway", if we can say it like that, when you play wing, so I'd like him on center where he would have more space and could use his creativeness more.

But as you know, we have Koivu and Ribeiro as our top two centers right now. The only place I see Higgins maxing out his potential is as a top two center, and the spots are taken. So since we have so much depth, the organisation don't really have the choice to use him as a left winger.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Garnet

Higgins

Ive watched about 15 -20 Hamilton games this year and Higgins, Hossa and Perezhogin are the best all round prospect on the farm. Hossa a little inconsistent in the goal scoring department but plays a descent all round game. Higgins plays like Matt Stajan of the Leafs. I think Higgins has more speed and little more offensive. I think Perezhogin has star and maybe superstar potential. He is really developing quickly now in Hamilton once he got over the culture shock. He's becoming more fearless and already has NHL moves and speed. A summer training program and he comes to camp at about 195 -200 lbs in my opinion.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:52 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet
Ive watched about 15 -20 Hamilton games this year and Higgins, Hossa and Perezhogin are the best all round prospect on the farm. Hossa a little inconsistent in the goal scoring department but plays a descent all round game. Higgins plays like Matt Stajan of the Leafs. I think Higgins has more speed and little more offensive. I think Perezhogin has star and maybe superstar potential. He is really developing quickly now in Hamilton once he got over the culture shock. He's becoming more fearless and already has NHL moves and speed. A summer training program and he comes to camp at about 195 -200 lbs in my opinion.
Thanks for that report. It is always good to hear from someone who gets to see a lot of live games. I like these three a lot, and I am glad that this year in Hamilton appears to be what each of them needed. It always helps to have an organization with three really solid forward prospects waiting in the wings to challenge for positions with the big club come September. Given the number of pending UFA's and RFA's, they should also have a really good shot at a roster spot come October.

Old
03-16-2004, 06:12 PM
db23

I think the thing that might seperate Higgins from Weiss over the years is durability
Just by looking at them you can see that Chris is much more solidly put together.
That is a very underrated aspect of a hockey player's makeup. All the talent in the world will not help if they can't play. That is why I think that Komisarek will have a better career than someone like Ruutu or Pitkanen in the long haul.

Closed Thread