HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacKenzie sees possible move for Poile

Old
04-16-2009, 08:16 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

vCash: 500
MacKenzie sees possible move for Poile

Thinks Minnesota's GM departure might mean he is heading for a Leiopold reunion. Not sure how I feel about it-- might be good for a change, but with inexperienced ownership here, do we want that?

http://tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=275289

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 08:20 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Ownership disagrees.

Quote:
And last summer The Tennessean reported there was a provision in the new ownership’s purchase agreement prohibiting Leipold from having any conversations with Poile “regarding any future employment or offer, directly or indirectly, to Mr. Poile (regarding) any employment opportunity with another NHL franchise other than the Predators.’’

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
wow, thats right, I forgot about that provision, that was the reason that Toronto was so hotly mentioned over the summer ... good find wfome

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 09:22 PM
braindead

Plus I get the sense that Poile felt as betrayed as the rest of us by Liarpold. He was forced to gut the team that he had spent 6 years building. Add to that, he basically has no boss now with the current ownership group. I can't see him bailing... especially for Liarpold.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Dreger reported on TSN during the 2nd intermission of the Hawks-Flames game that TSN had spoken with Poile by phone and that Poile indicated that he is very flattered that he is being mentioned for the opening, however that he was very happy with his current position in Nashville.

BTW, great game in Chicago heading to OT. I highly suggest tuning in if you have access to a feed.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Seth Lake

Minnesota beat writer Michael Russo names Predators assistant GM Paul Fenton and Director of Hockey Ops Michael Santos as people interested in the Minnesota GM position.

Also says that a source tells him that Leipold spoke with Poile today by phone...presumably seeking advice and hopefully not seeking our GM (as he is prohibited by contract to do so...).

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...tml?page=1&c=y

Old
04-17-2009, 07:25 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
BTW, great game in Chicago heading to OT. I highly suggest tuning in if you have access to a feed.
+1, I watched the 3rd period of that game and it promises to be a heck of a series. Everyone who wants to watch SC action as it is meant to be should check it out.

Old
04-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It would be a major blow to lose Fenton. A MAJOR blow. Shero was already a tough loss, but Fenton has actually performed better as the right-hand man.

04-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Seth Lake

Poile agrees to one-year extension

Quote:
Predators general manager David Poile said Friday he’s agreed to a new one-year contract through June of 2010.
Quote:
“I’ve been here since day one and to me, it’s a little unfinished business,’’ Poile said. “At different times I’ve felt we were really close, especially a couple years ago and then that went (downhill) with Craig selling the team.

“So the last two years under new ownership, we’ve made a commitment to sign some of our existing players and we’ve drafted real well. It’s my goal and hope that we’re not too far away from being a top team again — getting this thing right, making Nashville a hockey city and winning some playoff rounds, getting a Stanley Cup.’’
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...97/1002/SPORTS

Old
04-17-2009, 09:06 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I'm not as familiar with the business side of hockey, is there any specific reason why Poile didn't sign anything longer than a year or I'm just reading too much into it?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:31 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

After the ownership change DP said he was only going to go year to year after having to live thru the dismantling of the team. Believe this is in a recent Titanseean article.

Old
04-18-2009, 01:50 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Good.

David Poile was on 104 around 3:30 this afternoon to announce the Colin Wilson signing and George Plaster asked him if there were any other contracts to announce, like maybe Poile signing his contract. Poile said no, he didn't think so, just like he had no idea what Plaster was talking about and no one said anything else about it.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:57 AM
dulzhok

Sobering Poile stat....

It has been over 5 years since he's made a trade that had an obvious positive effect on the team. (Steve Sullivan, Feburary 2004).

The only other "traded-for" player on our current roster is Ryan Jones.

I also agree that losing Fenton would be bad. IMO, Fenton, Shero, and scouts deserve more credit for the Predators drafting record than Poile, ESPECIALLY for picks outside of the first round.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Sobering Poile stat....

It has been over 5 years since he's made a trade that had an obvious positive effect on the team. (Steve Sullivan, Feburary 2004).

The only other "traded-for" player on our current roster is Ryan Jones.

I also agree that losing Fenton would be bad. IMO, Fenton, Shero, and scouts deserve more credit for the Predators drafting record than Poile, ESPECIALLY for picks outside of the first round.
Belak was a player acquired by trade and was a great acquisition for us this season.

Old
04-20-2009, 01:31 AM
braindead

I thought Belak was terrible. I'd rather point to free agent signings (Arnott, Dumont, Ward) and re-signings (the core of the team) to defend Poile than point to Belak. Even Bonk and DeVries before Belak...

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:37 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Belak was a player acquired by trade and was a great acquisition for us this season.
I agree. Belak isn't a great hockey player, and the impact he made was subtle, but significant. I think he provided our skill guys with a more-than-adequate bodyguard and kept some of our guys from being run. He's one of the best enforcers in the league, and I'm glad we have him on our side. He certainly brings more than Tarnasky did. If it's possible to be of less value to a team than a guy like Smithson, that was it.

I disagree, however, with the notion that he's out there to "protect" Tootoo. Jordin can handle himself out there.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:38 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

You cannot fairly evaluate a GM only on player trades. You have to include draft picks acquired via trade and which of those assets became team contributors. I am not saying DP is lights out a grand slam GM, but to discount the value of draft picks that become players is not a complete assessment.

Old
04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I was no Belak fan, but after he put Brashear on his can I became one quickly.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote