HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Things are looking up for Bernier: AHL Goalie of the Month March 2009

Old
04-01-2009, 02:15 PM
ciccarelli80

vCash: 500
Things are looking up for Bernier: AHL Goalie of the Month March 2009

Link:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3798190

This is encouraging news since hearing Hextall's assessment of Bernier earlier this week in the teleconference.

ciccarelli80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Good find

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:40 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

those numbers are pretty good considering the Monarchs D is not that good.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 06:01 PM
ukyo

Glad to see that Bernier is finally getting his act together after sulking over Quick getting promoted before him. This is a good milestone in his development.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:02 PM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
Glad to see that Bernier is finally getting his act together after sulking over Quick getting promoted before him. This is a good milestone in his development.

he's not done sulking...believe me. i've heard the words "fragile" applied to him pretty frequently...

i'm not ready to annoint him as much more than an average AHL goaltender.

he'd lost his last 3 and looked hideous in the 5-2 loss vs. portland on saturday. he got the win tonight, but i gotta tell ya, he was nothing special. he made a great save on a penalty shot, and did well in the shootout.

hockeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:41 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynutz View Post
he's not done sulking...believe me. i've heard the words "fragile" applied to him pretty frequently...

i'm not ready to annoint him as much more than an average AHL goaltender.

he'd lost his last 3 and looked hideous in the 5-2 loss vs. portland on saturday. he got the win tonight, but i gotta tell ya, he was nothing special. he made a great save on a penalty shot, and did well in the shootout.
Man, that wasn't what I wanted to hear. Ah well, at least sulking and average is better than sulking and stinking up the joint. I will look on the bright side and call it... progress.

Old
04-01-2009, 10:16 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
Man, that wasn't what I wanted to hear. Ah well, at least sulking and average is better than sulking and stinking up the joint. I will look on the bright side and call it... progress.
People will never be satisfied with Bernier, I still believe he is going to be our franchise goalie. I believe this is a good signal that he is progressing.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:26 PM
KriticalKing*

I believe Bernier is posting better numbers then Quick, when Quick played for the same Manchester team this year. What does that mean? Well comparing the two on the same team in front of them says that Bernier is the better of the two. That is why I'm curious to see Burns on teh NHL. Look what Quick is doing at that level...imagine Burns, who posts better numbers on the same AHL team Quick played on...hmmm..should be interesting.

KriticalKing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriticalKing View Post
I believe Bernier is posting better numbers then Quick, when Quick played for the same Manchester team this year. What does that mean? Well comparing the two on the same team in front of them says that Bernier is the better of the two. That is why I'm curious to see Burns on teh NHL. Look what Quick is doing at that level...imagine Burns, who posts better numbers on the same AHL team Quick played on...hmmm..should be interesting.
Quick's save percentage from his time in Manchester is STILL better than Bernier's.

Quick also seems to have his head screwed on straight.

Say 'No' to Bernier in the NHL at this point.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Garon was goaltender of the month one time in the NHL.

LaBarbara was an AHL allstar.

I realize this thread was intended more of an FYI, which is cool, but my brothers in puck do not waste your energy on such things. Bernier has proven nothing except he is an above average AHL goalie at this point with potential for more.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 12:20 AM
ukyo

Well, like I said, to me it's all about progress. Any comparisons to Quick or Labarbera won't matter nearly as much as comparisons to himself in the past. I want to hear that he's no longer as much of a headcase as he was earlier in the year, or that he's learning that he has to earn his playing time.

Being a resident of the Bay Area for the past eleven years, I can tell you that Lombardi is not lying when he says that Nabokov, Kiprusoff, and Toskala all had to go through these tough mental milestones. All of those guys have turned out to be pretty good, and of those only Kiprusoff has a comparable amount of natural talent to what Bernier has.

Old
04-02-2009, 06:38 AM
hockeynutz

i'm not giving up yet, but jeez, it's frustrating as a fan to watch this guy go from brilliant to terrible all in the same game, let alone the same week. he's a kid who has never had to fight for his position, and who's finding it difficult to maintain his concentration.

at one point last night, he responded to a guy sitting behind the net at the glass during the game, when he should have been focused on what was going on in front of him. admittedly, it was during a stoppage of play, but still...

if he gets his head on straight, he will be better than good. but if he doesn't find the strength within himself to be less mentally fragile, he won't find himself playing in the NHL any time soon.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:12 AM
triplcrown

Bernier is hot now too

etc etc etc etc

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 01:21 PM
triplcrown

I see Bernier as the shiny Gold Coin that could bring us
Jamie Van Riesdyk, or someone like him.

If only Bernier's mentality equaled his physical gifts.

The fact they don't is worrisome.

Some prima donnas are obstinate and never mature.

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I think people should reserve their judgment for next year's training camp and stop hating on our prospects while they are in the AHL and making assumptions about their mental state.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I think people should reserve their judgment for next year's training camp and stop hating on our prospects while they are in the AHL and making assumptions about their mental state.
I'm not making assumptions.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Amazing how quickly everyone turned on Bernier. Understandable I suppose since he has been a pro for so long. Should have won a Vezina already.

FFS, the thread is about an accolade he received and everyone still craps on him. Why do you all have far less patience when it comes to him than you do with our other prospects?

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 06:04 PM
palffytofrovlov

If he sucks with the numbers he has... 2.40 GAA, .912 save %, 4 shut outs...for a 20 year old goalie? come on ...so he is a bit immature? people should get off his case and let him play. He has a 21-22 record, yes he was inconsistant the first part of the season, but the last half he has played great, especially considering the Monarchs offense avg about 2 goals or less in the last 14 games...

As much as I like JVR... I would take Bernier if he develops over JVR any day of the week...

palffytofrovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 06:51 PM
devilinto

Some of you guys make me sick with all the Berinier bashing.

Goalies take time. Its so easy to hate on a guy like him.

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 07:26 PM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post

neither am i. i've spoken to people "in the know" (and no, i'm not going to reveal my sources, but suffice it to say that these folks know what they're talking about). to a person, they all say the same thing: mentally fragile prima donna. but making progress.

no bash....just fact.

there's no doubt that his W-L record would be better if 2 things were true about this Monarchs team: 1 - he had a better defense in front of him, and 2 - if the monarchs consistently scored more than 2 or 3 goals a game. there is no fire power on this team - guys who were among the league leaders in the last couple years, like moulson, gauthier, boyle, meckler, just aren't putting the puck in the net with the same regularity.

if (and it's a big if) this team makes the playoffs, it's likely to be one & done.

Old
04-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynutz View Post
neither am i. i've spoken to people "in the know" (and no, i'm not going to reveal my sources, but suffice it to say that these folks know what they're talking about). to a person, they all say the same thing: mentally fragile prima donna. but making progress.

no bash....just fact.

there's no doubt that his W-L record would be better if 2 things were true about this Monarchs team: 1 - he had a better defense in front of him, and 2 - if the monarchs consistently scored more than 2 or 3 goals a game. there is no fire power on this team - guys who were among the league leaders in the last couple years, like moulson, gauthier, boyle, meckler, just aren't putting the puck in the net with the same regularity.

if (and it's a big if) this team makes the playoffs, it's likely to be one & done.
Unless Bernier decides to stand on his head. Then things could get very interesting.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 08:40 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFANINTO View Post

This is the most intelligent post on this thread; some of you people need to lay off of Bernier.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:41 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
This is the most intelligent post on this thread; some of you people need to lay off of Bernier.
And this is why you don't hear from the folks in Manchester any more. You can't stand it when you hear that the hot prospect is underperforming, or overrated, or has an attitude problem, or is not getting the ice time you think he should be getting. You ask for what we see and hear, we tell you what we see and hear, and we're supposed to lay off of whomever it is we tell you about because you don't like what we have to say.

So we don't post here much anymore. We'll just lay off, OK?

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:08 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFANINTO View Post

It's natural human tendency. When you are unfamiliar with something, you glorify it. So when he was in the Q, some people mentioned it, others didn't want to say it out loud, but they were thinking it, but there were good numbers which looked kinda like Luongo's. Now that he's in the AHL and you see under the hood, you get bitter and realize it's not what it's all crapped up to be. Kinda like working at McDonalds, now you know what they do to make a burger, and it aint as cool as it once was.

Fact is, Manchester folks are probably right, he's not playing nearly as good as he should be. To me that's fine though, and all a part of the process. It's pretty obvious Lombardi thinks the same thing, he did re-sign Ersberg for 2 years afterall.

It just sucks that people on here roast the fans who actually have a clue what they're talking about. Posters like RegieMoto and King Blazer and other Manchester fans are a godsend

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I'm making even less assumptions than he is...

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote