HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quebec law promotes French video games

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2009, 11:26 AM
marchabsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
This law will work as it's intended to by some degree but in the big scheme of things; it's toothless.

UPS? Fed Ex? Shipping options anyone? What is the government going to do. Scan all mail and parcells?
THE POINT IS TO INSURE THEY PROVIDE IT, IF AVAILABLE. NOT INFORCE IT. COOOME OOOOON. they will be copies of french AND english if french is available= it will not "replace" all the english versions

Old
04-03-2009, 11:26 AM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Oh look, here comes the french guy playing the self righteous victim card. Poor me, perfidious albion oppressing the french language.

In case you are unable to comprehend how things work or maybe live in some bubble in bas st-laurent that hasnt changed in 50 years, maybe you'd realize that English people are a small minority here and just want to be left alone, while the majority french government continues to restrict their liberty even when found by the supreme court to be violating anglos human rights.

The law does not prevent french people from living in their language, but the overwhelming appartus of government is geared towards restricting the same in english speakers (along with chinese, indian, arabic, etc.). To come here, bashing english people and playing the french victim card is the height of hypocracy and ignorance.
??? You can still buy video games in english. Read the article instead of also playing the victim.

Old
04-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
see we didnt sign the constitution
You're talking about the Charter (Constitution from 1982), since the Constitution from 1867 WAS signed by Québec. And that's where the 2 languages come from.

And your point is non-valid, since it's still applicable to Québec.

Old
04-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

Quote:
THE POINT IS TO INSURE THEY PROVIDE IT, IF AVAILABLE. NOT INFORCE IT. COOOME OOOOON
I did say "This law will work as it's intended to by some degree" - you, COOOME OOOOON

Geez

Old
04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
That Charter has no real value in the fact it can say French is the only official language in Québec.

See, the Canadian constitution says there are 2 official languages.

And if you didn't know that the Constitution >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Charter of French language, now you know.

Oh, and don't forget the fact the Canadian Charter of Freedoms and Rights protects the English language in Québec also.

That text can say anything, it does not make it true.
Uhhh... no French became the official language with law 22... The Charter came after. The constitution has nothing to do with it.

Old
04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Habs

Wouldn't banning smoking be more productive?

Old
04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Uhhh... no French became the official language with law 22... The Charter came after. The constitution has nothing to do with it.
Let me explain it simpler...

The Constitution says something (that there are 2 official languages).

No Law can make that statement false. The Constitution is the Supreme law in ALL of Canada, even Québec.

Thus, Québec could pile up laws that says the Constitution does not apply, they would all become unapplicable or illegal.

Old
04-03-2009, 11:30 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
You're talking about the Charter (Constitution from 1982), since the Constitution from 1867 WAS signed by Québec. And that's where the 2 languages come from.

Hum... I'm sorry but the 1867 Constitution is not valid anymore... hum...

Old
04-03-2009, 11:31 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:

ok so you REALLY think there is 2 official languages BY LAW in quebec...?! please make a couple phone calls and get back to us my friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter...#Legal_dispute (I dont know what it actually means anyway...)

Old
04-03-2009, 11:32 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:

No Law can make that statement false. The Constitution is the Supreme law in ALL of Canada, even Québec.

Thus, Québec could pile up laws that says the Constitution does not apply, they would all become unapplicable or illegal.
Those laws ARE applicable until the Supreme court says otherwise.

Old
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
This law will work as it's intended to by some degree but in the big scheme of things; it's toothless.

UPS? Fed Ex? Shipping options anyone? What is the government going to do. Scan all mail and parcells?
Exactly, all it does is pile on costs for the few game retailers that still exist (haven't been wiped out by internet retailers).

A guy who worked in video game retail already explained int his thread how they operate on razor thin profit margins for video games. Adding more shipping, inventory and labour costs for mandatory imported france versions will just put guys like Gamebuzz and EBGames underwater.

They will close, and a few hundred more people are now unemployed during a recession. Way to go Quebec!!

Old
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
ok so you REALLY think there is 2 official languages BY LAW in quebec...?! please make a couple phone calls and get back to us my friend.
Yes.

And be careful about what you say. I'm actually a law student. That's studying Civil law (thus, the applicable law in Québec).

I think I know what I'm talking about.

Old
marchabsfan

Quote:
Exactly, all it does is pile on costs for the few game retailers that still exist (haven't been wiped out by internet retailers).

A guy who worked in video game retail already explained int his thread how they operate on razor thin profit margins for video games. Adding more shipping, inventory and labour costs for mandatory imported france versions will just put guys like Gamebuzz and EBGames underwater.

They will close, and a few hundred more people are now unemployed during a recession. Way to go Quebec!!
talk about exagerating true, its all bureaucratic and symbolic with only costs as result. but still, jobs lost? come on

Old
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
gnr25

As a side note, didn't the PQ use the not-with-standing clause in the 80s for their laws? (Obviously that portion wasn't renewed every 5 years...or was it?)

Old
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:

Loi sur la langue officielle, 1974

(Projet de loi no 22)

1974 L.Q. CHAPITRE 6 Loi sur la langue officielle

[Sanctionnée le 31 juillet 1974].

Mod Edit: That was way too much information to be copied and pasted into a post. There is no problem with providing the information, just provide a web link to the website next time.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-03-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old
04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva View Post
I guess, France, Belgium, African countries etc. would not be too happy.
My guess is that the gamer market is not that advanced in French speaking Africa. In terms of France and Belgium (and parts of SE Asia) I'm not sure that the media would work in NA gaming consoles.

My point is that any legislation that puts additional requirements on business that can be easily sidestepped, generally become self-fulfilling prophecies.

Old
04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
marchabsfan

this thread just suck, peu importe qui a raison...its meaningless. people speaking english will continue. french people will continue speaking it. you will be able to buy french or english versions of games. go on people

Old
04-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Slick Nick, as I said, this law proves nothing.

For example, EVERY LAW that the Québec governments makes, it has to be written in both the English and French language.

They can make a rule like this, but it doesn't change anything.

Law 101 was struck down. They used the override clause, but they finally changed to make it legal by Constitution standards.

You can put that law on here, I can bring up the Constitution. Doesn't make any difference.

Oh and P.S. This only applies to the public adminsitration. Not the Province of Québec.

Old
Turboflex*

Quote:

Quebec has used the "notwithstanding clause" in areas where the surpreme court of canada has ruled that law 101 was illegal in the way it is in violation of human rights laws in canadian constitution.

Old
neofury*

More like: Quebec law promotes anti-anglo prejudice rofl

But hey, what else is new. Don't get pulled over being an anglo either

Old
04-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Erngueva

Quote:

I'll repeat my question. So basicly, a store could order ONE game in french and since like you said no one will buy it, it will make the difference that will cause the closing the store ? That make sense, but these store run on a hell of a thin profit margin.

Old
04-03-2009, 11:37 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
this thread just suck, peu importe qui a raison...its meaningless. people speaking english will continue. french people will continue speaking it. you will be able to buy french or english versions of games. go on people
Oh come on, don't spoil our fun!

Old
04-03-2009, 11:38 AM
marchabsfan

it's just sooo useless...makes me want to separate just to stop the fighting....

Old
04-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Quebec has used the "notwithstanding clause" in areas where the surpreme court of canada has ruled that law 101 was illegal in the way it is in violation of human rights laws in canadian constitution.
They changed the law a little while after.

Old
04-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Erngueva

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
My guess is that the gamer market is not that advanced in French speaking Africa. In terms of France and Belgium (and parts of SE Asia) I'm not sure that the media would work in NA gaming consoles.
Then my guess would be that changing the format from european to north-american one cost nothing. In fact, some software does it for my movies I bought in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
My point is that any legislation that puts additional requirements on business that can be easily sidestepped, generally become self-fulfilling prophecies.
Maybe, but my point is : it's a non-issue with no effect on the business and it will probably offer more game in french for those whinners french canadiens who doesn't speak english.

Closed Thread