HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maple Leafs sign Bozak

Old
04-03-2009, 10:18 AM
The Saurus

vCash: 500
Being a Leafs fan for quite some time, post-lockout I've always been skeptical of their plans regarding their promises of rebuilding.

However, now I feel completely and utterly confident in the direction this team is going. By getting 2 of the top 4 college free agents, the Leafs have started their first year of rebuilding with a bang. Combine the signings of Hanson and Bozak with whoever they draft in the first round this year and we're looking at a very legitimate prospect core here.

Granted, Bozak and Hanson may not reach their potential, but the fact that we have acquired a prospect with the ability to be a solid first or second line player is huge.

Going from very little hope last year to this is very impressive.

Congratulations Burke, you're doing quite the job in your first season as GM of the Leafs!

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:25 AM
leaky37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Eat it Pierre McGuire!!!!!

Bozak doesn't show up at Leafs game = Won't be signing in Toronto
Pierre McGuire has the IQ of a wet cheezie! I don't know how they let this guy be on National TV

leaky37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:28 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

great work by Burke. I guess there are some advantages to have a thin amount of talent. Hopefully, he pans out well for us.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:28 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
For the people who said the Leafs will probably rush him, they most likely are correct.

Now how do I know you say?
Well thats because Bozak>Hanson and yet in the Leafs next game, it will feature a line that consists of Blake, Mitchell, and non other than..... you guessed it, Hanson.

If Bozak is eligable to play this season, I wouldn't be surprised if he suited up very soon for the Leafs.

Ever think those might be incentives for signing?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabovski84 View Post
You make some points- I'm not sure if your trying to compare the Brunnstrom situation to the Bozak one though- the Stars have way more talent up front than the Leafs do, Bozak would likely not see top line duty on the stars. Maybe you were trying to imply that, but I am not sure. And I agree about the media- although the media attention in TO is crazy, in Montreal it is just plain rediculous- I would find it hard to concentrate in a city like that.
It pains me to agree with you on that one. Right now, when the Habs under Gainey play great and won 9 out of 10 possible points, the main subject in one part of the media is that Gainey made a vow to Carbonneau not to fire him (according to an "undisclosed friend" of Carbonneau) and yet he broke it - Murder!!!

Anyway - unlike others in my camp, I think that a healthy TO franchise can fuel our rivalry and only benefit the state of hockey around here - so, again, congrats to the Leafs.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Wow, two great signings by the Maple Leafs. Adding Hanson and Bozak rapidly accelerates the process of injecting young, talented players into the line-up.

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:38 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I think Burkes recent moves (Waiving Kronwall, Bell) did wonders for signing free agents. He can now tell them that he will move a player if they get stuck in the depth chart and deserve a shot.

I know I'd feel alot better about playing in Toronto now that Burke has changed the general idea that the Marlies are a development team and not just an NHL vet graveyard.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Alot of dillusional fans here, bozak is at least 2-3 years away from the big club.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Alot of dillusional fans here, bozak is at least 2-3 years away from the big club.
I don't think so. Considering Bozak is supposedly better than Hanson, and Hanson is playing tonight, I'd expect Bozak to get into a couple of games this season.

edit: And I'm pretty sure that Bozak wouldn't have signed if Burke told him he would wallow in the minors for 3 years

Nazem Gretzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:54 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

I'll put all my vCash on Bozak suiting up this season for the Leafs and being our 12th rookie to play this season.

Old
04-03-2009, 11:00 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Thanks Grub, perhaps Central Scouting should have you on the pay-roll, you obviously know more than most.

As for delusional fans, is that not what a fan is all about ??????????????

Last edited by The Messenger: 04-03-2009 at 11:09 AM.
The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Bozak's already 23 YO. If he's not ready here pretty shortly (aka - by the end of next year) - he's never going to be a contributer at the NHL level IMO.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
I don't think so. Considering Bozak is supposedly better than Hanson, and Hanson is playing tonight, I'd expect Bozak to get into a couple of games this season.

edit: And I'm pretty sure that Bozak wouldn't have signed if Burke told him he would wallow in the minors for 3 years
There's a difference between being in the NHL and being ready to be in the NHL and both Hanson and Bozak would probably benefit from at least one full season with the Marlies with some spot duty through call-ups.

Having said that, since Toronto is in the midst of rebuilding/injecting youth, they might be brought along with the big club. Not necessarily a bad thing, depends on how the player responds. But I wouldn't say these two guys are "NHL ready" since neither had played a tick of professional hockey as of a few days ago.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:06 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock into someone who can't spell delusional.

He will definitely get a shot this year since Hanson is getting one. It's up to them if they stick or not.

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Dick Whitman

Not saying Bozak won't be a stud but remember when everyone creamed their pants over Steve Kariya? Just sayin'... Also this is not the equivalent of getting another first round pick. That would imply that he has first round potential which very few, if any scouts have indicated he has.

Congrats to the Leafs fans. As a Sens fan, I am slightly jealous as having prospect depth is *never* a bad thing, especially when it's free.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:08 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Not saying Bozak won't be a stud but remember when everyone creamed their pants over Steve Kariya? Just sayin'... Also this is not the equivalent of getting another first round pick. That would imply that he has first round potential which very few, if any scouts have indicated he has.

Congrats to the Leafs fans. As a Sens fan, I am slightly jealous as having prospect depth is *never* a bad thing, especially when it's free.
Explain first round potential. Please. Humour me.

The first round of picks is only as good as the players eligible. A first round pick isn't even a guarantee that the player will make the NHL, let alone be a first line player. They are a lot more likely to end up 2nd or 3rd liners.

Last edited by dubey: 04-03-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old
04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Let me preface this by saying I don't expect Bozak and/or Hanson to be stars..

But seriously, how overrated are both of these guys now that they're Leafs?

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:10 AM
shaner89

Great move by BB and the Leafs.

Bozak chooses the Leafs
Hanson chooses the Leafs
Gilroy chooses??? The Leafs?

That would be so huge for the Leafs.

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Let me preface this by saying I don't expect Bozak and/or Hanson to be stars..

But seriously, how overrated are both of these guys now that they're Leafs?
I've been reading other teams forums to see how they rated him before we signed him. Lots of information out there, and the post Leafs signing comments are a bit funny too.

Old
04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
I don't get why some are saying he will not pan out. 25 teams had interest in him, and scouts were saying he had the skills and hockey IQ to make an impact in the league. I am just saying, that I am pretty sure that if 25 teams had the same line of thought, he will probably not be a bust. He still could be, don't get me wrong, but the fact that so many teams thought so highly of him gives me confidence that he will pan out into at least a decent contributor.

Nazem Gretzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
I wouldn't be disappointed if Bozak turns out to be a 40-50 point player.

Honestly. The only way this move could be a failure is if he is absolute ****. Which I highly doubt.

I'm so happy, for once.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
For the Leafs fans here...Hope he is better than Jesse Winchester

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:16 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

Does anyone have a comparison for his style to a current NHL player?

I'm pretty damn happy at the moment, been too long a season of disappointments

Old
04-03-2009, 11:18 AM
grabo84

Lots of people were slotting him into their second line on other team boards before this signing.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:25 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Does anyone have a comparison for his style to a current NHL player?

I'm pretty damn happy at the moment, been too long a season of disappointments
His coach said a more defensively responsible Paul Stastny. With less of a pass-first mentality.