HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

OK, The Habs Have To Be legit cup contenders now

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
OK, The Habs Have To Be legit cup contenders now

There is no team, and I mean no team, who is playing like montreal right now, and we don't even have Souray in the lineup. You can't even say we have had a weak schedule lately because we are knocking off teams like Ottawa, Toronto, Boston, Colorado, LA. We haven't lost a regulation game since we lost to San Jose 3 weeks ago. At this point in time, its looking like a given that Montreal will finish ahead of New jersey in the standings, and will be going into the playoffs firing on all cylinders, and with the all important hot goalie. Theo is even capable of stealing games when he's just his normal self. When he is on his game, we just won't be beaten. Any team that says we will go as far as Theo takes them is sadly mistaken as we have excellent depth, and have several players who will crack 60 this year. We have the offence, we have the defence, we have the goalie, and we have the experience. This team will be in tough, no doubt, as there are several other teams who are just as good, if not better. But this team can beat any team, at any place, at any time.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Patty Roy

I'm sure your going to get a bunch of smart ass replies to this post Fish, but the fact is the Habs could beat anyone in the East. That said, i could just as easily see the Habs losing in the first round to anyone in the East.

It's gonna take alot of "if's" at this point...everything's gonna have to come together, but if it does then yeah, i think the Habs have about as good a chance as anyone in the East.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Blackshad

What a game vs avs..
man this team is for real

Old
03-16-2004, 09:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 965
Only Tampa Bay and Detroit have more wins. That says something.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:33 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
There is no team, and I mean no team, who is playing like montreal right now.
I'd say that the B's and the Lightning are playing just as well, if not better. Boston is without two of their top six fowards.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:33 PM
electric

The Habs are looking really awesome lately, but I think it's a bit early to pass a judgement right now. They've been hot and cold for most of the season... remember that about a month or so ago they were only 3 points over 8th place...

Old
03-16-2004, 09:36 PM
BruinsGirl

Gee...why B's fans aren't starting 10000 threads about B's being legit Cup contenders? Maybe because playoffs are completely different story?

Old
03-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Gee...why B's fans aren't starting 10000 threads about B's being legit Cup contenders? Maybe because playoffs are completely different story?
The habs know what winning a series is like. We have players like Kovalev, Koivu, Zednik, Perreault, Souray, Brisebois, Rivet, Markov, Juneau, Bulis, Quintal, and most importantly, Theo who have been there, and have had at least some success. Only Ryder and Ribeiro lack playoff experience from our main core.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
The Habs are looking really awesome lately, but I think it's a bit early to pass a judgement right now. They've been hot and cold for most of the season... remember that about a month or so ago they were only 3 points over 8th place...
Would you call Toronto, Ottawa and New jersey legit contenders? I would. Montreal might finish ahead of all 3. I'm not saying they should be the favorites by any stretch of the imagination, but they are legitimate contenders. They are capable of beating any team in the league.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Wrong.

Montreal is a good team.

FAR from a contender.

*sigh*
Habs fans...
Montreal IS a good team for sure.. they have beaten many cup contenders in games the past month: the Senators, the Leafs, the Avalanche(you a little bitter about the big win against your team tonight??), the Devils.. etc.. the only big cup contender they didnt beat in the past month is Detroit.. and they beat them in October. That said, as it was mentioned, there are alot of "ifs" to consider for the habs to make lots of noise in the post season. Here they are:

IF Jose Theodore gets into the zone...
IF Michael Ryder and Mike Ribeiro can perform in the playoffs....
IF Sheldon Souray picks up where he left off...
IF Alex Kovalev gets really comfortable with the habs system...
IF Richard Zednik can play like he always does in the playoffs... (the least of my concerns amonst those listed above, since I know he will)

... the habs will have an amazing playoff run.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
The Pens are better right now.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Wrong.

Montreal is a good team.

FAR from a contender.

*sigh*
Habs fans...
Care to back that up with an explanation, or does calling someone's opinion wrong and then lambasting an entire fan base suffice for you?

Old
03-16-2004, 09:45 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
i know what you mean it definaitly is a different season.
no more habs contender threads please, you dont need to prove anyone

Old
03-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Hellsempire

Quote:
At this point in time, its looking like a given that Montreal will finish ahead of New jersey in the standings,

Don't get so ahead of yourself here... I highly doubt that the Habs will finish ahead of the Devils since the Devils have games in hand and play the Habs in a home and home this coming weekend and Brodeur always looks forward to beating up on Montreal. Brodeur has owned Montreal for years now and I just do not see the Habs finishing ahead of the Devils... Montreal will have the 6th or 7th seed but the Devils could easily have the 4th or 5th seed... This weekend will be huge for both teams. I am looking forward for this one...

Old
03-16-2004, 09:46 PM
H3ro

Quote:
Probably because they remember what happened to them when they finished 1st in 2001-2002 :p

Old
03-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Hockeyfan02

Man the East is really stacked this year. Last year there were 4 teams that had a legit chance out of the East: Sens, Flyers, Devils, Leafs. This year those 4 along with Tampa, Boston, and Montreal could all come out of the East. Heck, even the Islanders outplayed the Lightning tonight to prove they might be able to knock a team off. This year its going to be wide open and fun to watch. 3 weeks is a loooong time to wait for the playoffs.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Quagmier

I'm one of the biggest habs fans here, but seriously...

cool it guys, and i don't mean believing the habs are legit contenders
I mean why, every time the habs beat a good team, do i have to see one of these threads???

What ever happened to being the underdog AND LIKING IT!!!

habs are, in my mind, a poor man's tampa bay lightning. They are having the regular season success... but will it translate into playoff success?

but to all habs fans, lets just sneak under the radar for now ok?

Old
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
The habs know what winning a series is like. We have players like Kovalev, Koivu, Zednik, Perreault, Souray, Brisebois, Rivet, Markov, Juneau, Bulis, Quintal, and most importantly, Theo who have been there, and have had at least some success. Only Ryder and Ribeiro lack playoff experience from our main core.
Umm...the Bruins have an equal amount of players with an equal amount of playoff experience/sucess in our main core (except for our starting goalie) as the Habs do.

Old
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02
Man the East is really stacked this year. Last year there were 4 teams that had a legit chance out of the East: Sens, Flyers, Devils, Leafs. This year those 4 along with Tampa, Boston, and Montreal could all come out of the East. Heck, even the Islanders outplayed the Lightning tonight to prove they might be able to knock a team off. This year its going to be wide open and fun to watch. 3 weeks is a loooong time to wait for the playoffs.
this years gonna have a very special post season.
its building up to be a real classic.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants
Umm...the Bruins have an equal amount of players with an equal amount of playoff experience/sucess in our main core (except for our starting goalie) as the Habs do.
I'm not saying the Bruins aren't legit contenders am I?

Old
03-16-2004, 09:51 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Well, it's not like the other teams never been to the playoffs...

Thornton, Murray, Knuble, Samsonov, Nylander, Green, Rolston, Axelsson, Donato,
Lapointe, Zamuner, O'Donnell, Gill, Boynton, McGillis, Gonchar, Slegr (I could miss somebody) all have been on the teams that won series .

Most important..B's finally learned to win close series. They hadn't lost a game were they were winning(tied) going into the third.

B's are playing playoff kind of games for the last couple of month. 1-0, 1-1, 3-2...

BUT UNLESS THEY ARE IN THE FINALS I DON'T THINK THEY ARE CONTENDERS!

Old
03-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier
I'm one of the biggest habs fans here, but seriously...

cool it guys, and i don't mean believing the habs are legit contenders
I mean why, every time the habs beat a good team, do i have to see one of these threads???

What ever happened to being the underdog AND LIKING IT!!!

habs are, in my mind, a poor man's tampa bay lightning. They are having the regular season success... but will it translate into playoff success?

but to all habs fans, lets just sneak under the radar for now ok?
I agree here. I can understand us Hab fans being excited, but can we show some restraint? This just clogs up the main board.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
Don't get so ahead of yourself here... I highly doubt that the Habs will finish ahead of the Devils since the Devils have games in hand and play the Habs in a home and home this coming weekend and Brodeur always looks forward to beating up on Montreal. Brodeur has owned Montreal for years now and I just do not see the Habs finishing ahead of the Devils... Montreal will have the 6th or 7th seed but the Devils could easily have the 4th or 5th seed... This weekend will be huge for both teams. I am looking forward for this one...
It should be a great home and home series that's for sure. But seriously, i could care less if the Habs finish in 6th or 7th in the East...what does it matter? It's not like there's a lame duck team in the top half of the conference.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:54 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Well, it's not like the other teams never been to the playoffs...

Thornton, Murray, Knuble, Samsonov, Nylander, Green, Rolston, Axelsson, Donato,
Lapointe, Zamuner, O'Donnell, Gill, Boynton, McGillis, Gonchar, Slegr (I could miss somebody) all have been on the teams that won series .

Most important..B's finally learned to win close series. They hadn't lost a game were they were winning(tied) going into the third.

B's are playing playoff kind of games for the last couple of month. 1-0, 1-1, 3-2...

BUT UNLESS THEY ARE IN THE FINALS I DON'T THINK THEY ARE CONTENDERS!
i dont think hes arguing that the b's arnt contenders, all he's trying to do is show that the habs are.
i mean i dont understand why its become a vs. type of thread.
i perfer these threads not to pop up habs are playing crazy hockey right now, but the underdog role is great boost to have, i perfer noone to think there contenders.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Why you start a thread like this ? is it because you aren't so sure , so you need someone assure you ?

Closed Thread