HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

OK, The Habs Have To Be legit cup contenders now

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2004, 09:56 PM
  #26
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster
Why you start a thread like this ? is it because you aren't so sure , so you need someone assure you ?
leave him alone, he's just happy.
i dont like these threads too trust me.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 09:56 PM
  #27
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
I'm not saying the Bruins aren't legit contenders am I?
The post I replied to was in response to your post where you're trying to state the Canadians' better chances than Boston's for post season success thanks to the players on the team who have advanced in the post season. It seemed to me that you were implying that the Canadians were better contenders than the B's thanks to their better playoff experience, which is wrong.


Last edited by VeddarRants: 03-16-2004 at 10:00 PM.
VeddarRants is online now  
Old
03-16-2004, 09:57 PM
  #28
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Well, it's not like the other teams never been to the playoffs...


Thornton, Murray, Knuble, Samsonov, Nylander, Green, Rolston, Axelsson, Donato,
Lapointe, Zamuner, O'Donnell, Gill, Boynton, McGillis, Gonchar, Slegr (I could miss somebody) all have been on the teams that won series .

Most important..B's finally learned to win close series. They hadn't lost a game were they were winning(tied) going into the third.

B's are playing playoff kind of games for the last couple of month. 1-0, 1-1, 3-2...

BUT UNLESS THEY ARE IN THE FINALS I DON'T THINK THEY ARE CONTENDERS!
Not to turn this into a Habs v Bruins discussion, but Thornton, Samsonov, Gill, and Axelsson have won one playoff series. Boyton and Zaumner have never won an NHL playoff series. The Bruins are far from playoff tested.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 09:58 PM
  #29
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster
Why you start a thread like this ? is it because you aren't so sure , so you need someone assure you ?
Normally I'd call you a jealous B's fan, but you don't really have anything to be jealous of because as of now, your team is ahead in the standings, and poised for an extended playoff run of their own, but I will say you are a bitter B's fan, because no matter how good your team is, the habs doing good just upsets your breed:p

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:01 PM
  #30
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Not to turn this into a Habs v Bruins discussion, but Thornton, Samsonov, Gill, and Axelsson have won one playoff series. Boyton and Zaumner have never won an NHL playoff series. The Bruins are far from playoff tested.
I never said that. You must have taken that the wrong way. I was just trying to say that the habs have no reason to fear inexperience. There's nothing wrong with the B's, they are a good team who made some nice additions at the deadline, and knocked off a pretty good Toronto team tonight in a huge game. The only fear you may have is how will Raycroft react, but there isn't much founded fear until he gives you reason to be afraid, and as of yet, that just hasn't happened.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:02 PM
  #31
Bruinster*
 
Bruinster*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Behind the enemy lin
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Not to turn this into a Habs v Bruins discussion, but Thornton, Samsonov, Gill, and Axelsson have won one playoff series. Boyton and Zaumner have never won an NHL playoff series. The Bruins are far from playoff tested.

Hmmm no doubt Koivu, Ribeiro, Bulis, Zednik, Perrault, Ryder ect.... have won a lot more playoff game, no doubt they're all playoff mercenary

Bruinster* is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:04 PM
  #32
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster
Hmmm no doubt Koivu, Ribeiro, Bulis, Zednik, Perrault, Ryder ect.... have won a lot more playoff game, no doubt they're all playoff mercenary
Koivu and Zednik have actually had quite a bit of playoff success. Perreault has a lot of experience as well, as does Bulis. Only Ryder(rookie) and Ribeiro(first full season) lack the experience. But in 2002, we had a team who relied upon Theo, who had very little experience, and look how that turned out.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:06 PM
  #33
PecaFan
Registered User
 
PecaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Posts: 8,920
vCash: 500
Hey, you're playing great. But you still don't get "contender" status until you have home ice advantage in round 1. At the rate you're going, you might just get there.

PecaFan is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:08 PM
  #34
Le Golie
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,897
vCash: 500
I consider myself pretty unbiased, definitely not a Hab fan, however they are contenders in my opinion. They have been playing great hockey, just like about 12 other teams that are legitimate contenders.

NHL playoffs are stacked with IF's, whichever team puts it all together for 2 months will win.

Le Golie is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:10 PM
  #35
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
I consider myself pretty unbiased, definitely not a Hab fan, however they are contenders in my opinion. They have been playing great hockey, just like about 12 other teams that are legitimate contenders.

NHL playoffs are stacked with IF's, whichever team puts it all together for 2 months will win.

perfectly said thats why i dont agree with this thread is becuase there are alote of contenders this year.
who ever wants it the most will win it this year.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:19 PM
  #36
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
IF my aunt had a ____ she'd be my uncle.
buddy EVERY team has its "if's"
so dont be telling me about your aunt/uncle.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:24 PM
  #37
NJ_Devil_Boy
Registered User
 
NJ_Devil_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,842
vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
the Devils.. etc..
That's not saying a whole lot. NJ isn't a very good/healthy team right now.

NJ_Devil_Boy is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:24 PM
  #38
Magnus Fulgur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 7,354
vCash: 500
As a B's fan, I think the Habs have every much a chance at the finals as TB, BOS, OTT, PHI, and TOR. They're one of the ten best teams right now. They're definitely contenders.

Magnus Fulgur is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:25 PM
  #39
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Here's a big one...

IF Colorado, Detroit, San Jose, Toronto, Ottawa or New Jersey make the playoffs, the Habs will not win the Cup.
"if" i care about your opinion then im an idiot.
why have the playoffs "if" people had your mentality.
you must be sour about something.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:30 PM
  #40
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
The fan base deserves it, because of crap like this. You win a game against a contender riddled with injuries and suddenly you are seeing the '76 Habs.

Or like when you try to trade away crap like Brisebois for Gaborik.

As for the explanation of why you're not a contender...well, isn't it obvious? Win a friggin playoff round sometime this decade and then we'll talk.

Ever notice that Detroit, Colorado and New Jersey win the Cup every year? It will happen again this year too.

Mark my words, Montreal will NEVER be a contender unless there is a salary cap. It's not about them not spending, it's that Montreal doesn't have good players like the contenders do.

You aren't even as good as Toronto.

Get real.
buddy relax we beat hellava lot better teams then the aves reasontly no need to get angry i mean 1 fan expressed his view and your all over him, just relax take a pill and sleep it off, your anger is making you post some very stupid theads right now.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:33 PM
  #41
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
I never said that. You must have taken that the wrong way. I was just trying to say that the habs have no reason to fear inexperience. There's nothing wrong with the B's, they are a good team who made some nice additions at the deadline, and knocked off a pretty good Toronto team tonight in a huge game. The only fear you may have is how will Raycroft react, but there isn't much founded fear until he gives you reason to be afraid, and as of yet, that just hasn't happened.
I didn't quote you.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:33 PM
  #42
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Not sour, realistic.

The Habs aren't that great a team. Good? yes. Great? Not even a little bit.

And that's ok. They aren't expected to be great.

If you think they are going to win the Cup, let's make a wager on it. What do you say?
you paypal registered? gimmi vegas odds on the habs and we'll wager on it.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:33 PM
  #43
HF-Addict
Registered User
 
HF-Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
The fan base deserves it, because of crap like this. You win a game against a contender riddled with injuries and suddenly you are seeing the '76 Habs.

Or like when you try to trade away crap like Brisebois for Gaborik.

As for the explanation of why you're not a contender...well, isn't it obvious? Win a friggin playoff round sometime this decade and then we'll talk.

Ever notice that Detroit, Colorado and New Jersey win the Cup every year? It will happen again this year too.

Mark my words, Montreal will NEVER be a contender unless there is a salary cap. It's not about them not spending, it's that Montreal doesn't have good players like the contenders do.

You aren't even as good as Toronto.

Get real.

Yeah after all, if ur best players were healthy, you would have won the game hands down. AVS FOR THE CUP.

Here is someone that hopes u won't be injured during the play-off, after all, injuries stop you from winning against a Habs team

HF-Addict is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:35 PM
  #44
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
The fan base deserves it, because of crap like this. You win a game against a contender riddled with injuries and suddenly you are seeing the '76 Habs.
The fan base "deserves it" is utter baloney. You judge teams by their players, not their fans.

Quote:
Or like when you try to trade away crap like Brisebois for Gaborik.
Which has nothing to do with anything.

Quote:
As for the explanation of why you're not a contender...well, isn't it obvious? Win a friggin playoff round sometime this decade and then we'll talk.
I guess you missed two years ago when they upset Boston.

Quote:
Ever notice that Detroit, Colorado and New Jersey win the Cup every year? It will happen again this year too.

Mark my words, Montreal will NEVER be a contender unless there is a salary cap. It's not about them not spending, it's that Montreal doesn't have good players like the contenders do.
Finally, a statement that is about stuff that matters.

Quote:
You aren't even as good as Toronto.

Get real.
I'm not a Habs fan.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:36 PM
  #45
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Nobody is angry. There's no reason to be. The Avs lost a meaningless regular season game. I am waaaaay past the point in my life where I get angry about a first place team losing a game in March.

Maybe the regular season means something to you because you are used to the regular season being the only time your team plays, but no loss before May is going to bother me.
the only thing that matters is the cup, but according to your mentality we might as well not cheer our team, there are ALOTE of teams that can win the cup this year not just the usual suspects.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:42 PM
  #46
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Upset?

I didn't think contenders could "upset" anyone. Wow.
wtf are you talking about they were never contenders 2 years ago thus "upset"
if you dont understand thats just sad.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:43 PM
  #47
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Upset?

I didn't think contenders could "upset" anyone. Wow.
Perhaps you should try making points relevant to the topic. Two years ago they were the 8 seed and Boston was the 1 seed, thus they upset the Bruins. It has little to no bearing on the topic at hand, the thread isn't about were they contenders then.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:43 PM
  #48
HF-Addict
Registered User
 
HF-Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
wtf are you talking about they were never contenders 2 years ago thus "upset"
if you dont understand thats just sad.
Trying to get away with a bit of dignity. That's just fine.

Whatever, in 93, when the habs last won the cup, how many points did the habs have????And were they consider contenders at this time???(Did HF-Boards even exist in 93??)

I'm too lazy to search

HF-Addict is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:47 PM
  #49
Snakeeye
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Montreal is the 7th seed. If they are legit contenders at 7, then the Flames are legit contenders at 6, while Nashville is also a legit contender at 7.

Didnt think you Hab fans would agree?

Montreal is playing very, very, very well, but they are not an elite team in the NHL. Not even close. they will be an underdog thoughout the playoffs. They are not legit contenders.

Snakeeye is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 10:48 PM
  #50
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Upset?

I didn't think contenders could "upset" anyone. Wow.
This is the single dumbest thing said in this thread. 2 years ago they weren't contenders. They made the playoffs on outstanding goaltending. 2 years ago, Tampa Bay were only contending for the 1st overall pick, this year they are the best team in the nhl. I guess they aren't contenders either.......

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.