HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Upshall

Old
04-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
We had at least two other stiffs that would of been better Dump.. namely Alberts or Jones and leave sibisi with us.. stop with that we had to do this crap for cap nonsense.
The Flyers aren't 'dumping' Jones, not this season...is that not clear?

As for 'Sibisi' (I assume you mean Sbisa). First off, he's not alllowed to join the Flyers until the playoffs. Second, to throw the kid into playoff hockey...would be suicide.

3rd pairing - Alberts & 'Sibisi'.

Riiight. That looks solid.

(heaping loads of sarcasm)

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

vCash: 500
Since when are teams dying to take overpaid defensemen like Jones?
Use your heads folks.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:32 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Once you figure out why the deal was made...then, and only then, will you understand it.
Don't hold your breath. He is still trying to figure out Briere's age.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:14 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:

As for 'Sibisi' (I assume you mean Sbisa). First off, he's not alllowed to join the Flyers until the playoffs. Second, to throw the kid into playoff hockey...would be suicide.

Even though I do agree with somewhat with what your saying. Other teams are going to be going into playoffs with rookies playing also (I know theres some on Boston, etc) That being said, last year we went in with Parent didnt we? They played almost the same amount of season games also.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Its one thing to have a rookie in the playoffs but its another to bring a rookie onto a team for the playoffs when he has been playing Juniors for the past 3 months. Its different to play the first 40 games of a season and come back 3 months later from the Q than it is to play in the AHL and then get called up for the last couple months of the season and go into the playoffs. They sent sbisa back for many reasons. Yes one of them was returning injured players but he was clearly wearing down and not playing well when they sent him back to the Q. If he was playng good enough NHL hockey they wouldnt have sent him back, regardless of who was waiting to come back from injuries. IMO He would be killed in the playoffs.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
BigBanger

Other teams are going to be going into playoffs with rookies playing also (I know theres some on Boston, etc) That being said, last year we went in with Parent didnt we? They played almost the same amount of season games also.[/QUOTE]

good God common sense.. you will be deleted my friend

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:49 PM
BigBanger

Quote:

Dump Alberts! I would rather take a chance with a rookie that has a future here then another stiff thats gone this summer..

Old
04-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Dump Alberts! I would rather take a chance with a rookie that has a future here then another stiff thats gone this summer..
So you want...

3rd pairing for the playoffs would be Jones and Sbisa.

Am I reading this right?

Old
04-06-2009, 02:01 PM
BigBanger

I would take those two over Alberts and Jones anyday, Sbisi was inexperienced but nothing like the turn over machine alberts is and at least Sbisi played with an edge. Alberts should leave town and take carle with him. Both clueless and make defensive mistakes that Bantams learn.

Old
04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
I would take those two over Alberts and Jones anyday, Sbisi was inexperienced but nothing like the turn over machine alberts is and at least Sbisi played with an edge. Alberts should leave town and take carle with him. Both clueless and make defensive mistakes that Bantams learn.
While I like what I see from Sbisa, and do think he's going to be a very solid defenseman in this league...I don't think it's entirely wise to throw him into the playoffs like that.

Old
04-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Oh jesus. I feel like i've hit a wall of retardedness.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Flyersfan1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Oh jesus. I feel like i've hit a wall of retardedness.
That's how it is with most flyer fans these days. Sad.

Flyersfan1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:19 PM
BigBanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1216 View Post
That's how it is with most flyer fans these days. Sad.
Be proud brother your Flyer team is 7th overall in league.. wave your orange flags in ****** heaven.

Old
04-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Shoeny

upshall and sbisa > alberts and carcillo

we are talking about a third pairing defenseman in the playoffs

alberts is solid but i think sbisa provides more to the team even as a 19 year old. he doesnt turn the puck over as much as Alberts and plus sbisa is loosing a year on his contract for only like 30 games so its not a matter of contract years.

if it wasnt upshall i would care about salary dumps but upshall was one of my favorite players

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
ph

Andrew Alberts has played in a grand total of 2 NHL playoff games. That is 2 less than Ryan Parent. Why are we talking like Alberts would be more poised than Sbisa?

Edit: Carle has played more NHL playoff games than any of our defenseman (4 more than Timonen). I guess that pretty much sums up how meaningless that stat is. If the player is ready the player is ready regardless of games played or age.

Last edited by ph: 04-06-2009 at 10:13 PM.
ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
Andrew Alberts has played in a grand total of 2 NHL playoff games. That is 2 less than Ryan Parent. Why are we talking like Alberts would be more poised than Sbisa?
How many more NHL games does Alberts have than Sbisa?

Old
04-06-2009, 10:13 PM
ph

Quote:
How many more NHL games does Alberts have than Sbisa?
I'm of the opinion that the playoffs are a different game. But to answer your question, over 200.

Old
04-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that the playoffs are a different game. But to answer your question, over 200.
As am I, meaning it's more intense.

That's 200 more games of NHL experience...that has to count for something.

Old
04-06-2009, 10:25 PM
ph

Quote:
As am I, meaning it's more intense.

That's 200 more games of NHL experience...that has to count for something.
I agree Alberts is the safer bet if you think the Flyers are capable of winning it all this year. I'm not so sure they are which is why I'd rather see some of our younger guys play so that they get that valuable experience. I kinda wish they could play JVR for this reason.

Old
04-06-2009, 10:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
alberts is solid but i think sbisa provides more to the team even as a 19 year old. he doesnt turn the puck over as much as Alberts and plus sbisa is loosing a year on his contract for only like 30 games so its not a matter of contract years.
Won't be a concern come contract time, but it didn't have to be that way.

His turnover ratio per game is right on par with the other defensemen on the team. Only Vaananen and Kukkonen gave away the puck less (Kukkonen being an outlier, Parent the other way)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)

Last edited by GKJ: 04-06-2009 at 10:40 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
I agree Alberts is the safer bet if you think the Flyers are capable of winning it all this year. I'm not so sure they are which is why I'd rather see some of our younger guys play so that they get that valuable experience. I kinda wish they could play JVR for this reason.
As much as my heart wants the Flyers to win the Cup, it's unlikely this season...but you never know. The right matchups, some injuries to other teams combined with our guys remaining healthy...anything can happen.

Sure experience is nice to get, but I also want the kids of the team put in a position to succeed. Throwing Sbisa in to start the playoffs, I don't feel is wise.

As for JVR, he has no business playing NHL playoff hockey this season...he'd get destroyed and not just physically.

Old
04-06-2009, 10:36 PM
ph

Quote:

As for JVR, he has no business playing NHL playoff hockey this season...he'd get destroyed and not just physically.
Yes he would. I think that would be good for him though. Getting beat down mentally would not necessarily mean its permanent.

Getting back to the original topic. I think the only defenseman we could have moved in place of Upshall was Alberts and I don't think you could even get Carcillo for him. I still would have rathered they trade Upshall for a Carcillo calibre player (of equal salary) who takes less penalties.

Last edited by ph: 04-06-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old
04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Yes he would. I think that would be good for him though.
And you're entitled to your viewpoints, but I have to disagree.

He's taking the appropriate steps to develop, and the experience he'll gain with the Phantoms is and will be very valuable in itself. He should get a minumum of 7 games, and hopefully a playoff series or two as well. That's a great start, and more than we all were probably expecting.

Like I said in my previous post, I want these guys put in a position to succeed, not fail.

Old
04-06-2009, 10:45 PM
BerubeBox*

My guess is it was an attempt at a shrewd deal. Carcillo has some skills, and could have been a good replacement for Downie with the scenery change. Salaries were taken into account and the deal was made. They're not all going to be winners.

I really think Homer made the deal with as much faith in Carcillo as he had fiscal responsibility.

I hope Carcillo comes alive in the playoffs, but after what I've seen so far from him I would much rather have Asham in that role full-time along with Upshall doing what he does. Asham will still play his part, but that role gets split now between him and Carcillo. Asham should be our go-to Playoff Enforcer. He's the type of player the team can depend on to hold the other team accountable. That type of faith in your teammates is invaluable, and I haven't gotten that vibe from Carcillo at all.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 332
If we had to trade Upshall, I don't know why we couldn't trade for someone like Zach Stortini or try and steal Kyle Brodziak or something. Guys who have been playing, are responsible players, Brodziak being very disciplined. Brodziak making less than $500K but is a bona fide, established NHL player, although he needs a contract for next year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote