HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Thomas re-signs 4yrs, 20 million

Old
04-03-2009, 10:04 AM
CamFan81
Derp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
sorry, Thomas puts up great numbers the last 2 years BUT BUT

- Rask will rot
-Thomas will never put up better numbers than this year
- he is 34
- has won a total of 0 playoff series.

just cause he is a good guy doesent mean you can swallow such a handcuffing contract.
Maybe we should of just let Thomas go, and bring up rask from prov and feed him to the wolves....
Sound familiar?

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Waltah*

Quote:

-1 Rask will rot
-2 Thomas will never put up better numbers than this year

1 - he'll pull plenty of games relieving TT, ratter then letting tim go and throwing rask into the pressure cooker (price?).

2 - can i have the winning lotto numbers too?

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Shoalzie

Steep price but the guy has been one of the best goalies the last few years. Good for him on taking advantage of an opportunity to play in the NHL and parlaying it into a very nice contract.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:13 AM
javier

Great move by the Bruins, with the team they have right now they have at least a three year window to win the Cup and Thomas has been statistically one of the elite goalies in the past couple of years. He's one of the biggest reasons they have a chance. People who said the B's should have just let him walk are completely nuts.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Rask will get 20-30 games. Every year it's been said that Thomas won't match his current numbers, yet every year he beats them. Brodeur is 36, Roloson is 38, Nabokov is 32...really?

The last sentence is a gem. Yup, he's a good guy...who is probably going to win the Vezina.
ok buddy

ok, so rask plays 30 games, so 5.2$ for a 50 game goalie.

im not saying he isnt a good goalie. But his numbers this year are very very good, and he can win the vezina. Its my opinion, and opinion only, that at 35 he will not get any better. The Bruins have clicked on all cylinders this year, now with the possibility of losing pieces due to the salary cap, they may becomes significantly less deep in certain positions.

In a salary cap era, i just dont think its a good deal for someone who hasnt proved anything in the playoffs. Im not taking anything away from his season statistics because they are unreal.

Just an example, Theodore was signed 3 years at 6 per after the hart and vezina in a non-cap era and everyone thought it was terrible and Gainey should be lynched. At that point he was younger and had more proven than Thomas.

I just dont like it.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
quesosauce

seems like a lot of cash

hes a good goalie, but i wonder how raask takes this news

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
CamFan81
Derp

u dont have to

Old
04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
NHLcrazy

I hate the Bruins but he deserves it...a great guy. Good for you Tim!

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 10:58 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Considering this is the only big contract he's ever gotten and could be the only one he ever gets it's hard to imagine him taking less than this. Good deal for both sides- Thomas gets a fair contract, Boston keeps one of the three best goalies in the league for less than market value.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Yikes, I think Rask is ready now (not to mention most goalies perform very well in that system, see: Alex Auld strolling in, fresh from the sewer, last year), I think this is bad regardless of my feelings towards Thomas, this just gets in Rask's way...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Yikes, I think Rask is ready now (not to mention most goalies perform very well in that system, see: Alex Auld strolling in, fresh from the sewer, last year), I think this is bad regardless of my feelings towards Thomas, this just gets in Rask's way...
Now he'll have a chance to prove it. And if you're wrong, it won't be the end of the world, he will have time to adapt and the pressure is easily taken off his shoulders by Thomas.

If you're right, Thomas may find himself on the trading block come next deadline. Any West teams need a very good, 5mil starting goaltender?

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:06 AM
sabresfan129103

fair market value, he's a good goalie and deserves it.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
Maybe we should of just let Thomas go, and bring up rask from prov and feed him to the wolves....
Sound familiar?
you mean like Carey Price and his 23 victories?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

- Rask will rot
- he is 34

just cause he is a good guy doesent mean you can swallow such a handcuffing contract.
What the heck are you talking about?

1) Since when is it a bad idea to let a goalie be the back-up and earn the job? Rask can very easily play 20'ish games over the next couple of season and prove he's ready to take over. Add in that there is no way that Rask hits his incentives as a back-up and he's got a VERY reasonable $850K contract. Throwing a 21 YO goalie to the wolves on a Stanley Cup contending team bombs a hell of a lot more often than it works.
2) Excluding Hasek, Thomas is putting up one of the best statistical seasons ever. He doesn't have to improve to make this a good contract.
3) Goalies "age" better than any other position. There are a ton of guys who are top flight #1's from 35-37. Add in that Thomas has significantly fewer miles than other guys his age and I don't see how TT's age is a factor at all.
4) Until this year, it's not like BOS has been in the position to win a P/O series.

Most UFA eligible top tier #1 goalies make $5M. Hell, Theodore got a 2 year $4.5 contract after 3 crap years in COL. I don't see how anyone could not like contract.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Flint Ironstag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Good enough for 7th place!

Flint Ironstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
No way 23 victories!!

I don't think there is any one who can argue that trading Huet and throwing Price in right away was the right move.

LordLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
ok buddy

ok, so rask plays 30 games, so 5.2$ for a 50 game goalie.

im not saying he isnt a good goalie. But his numbers this year are very very good, and he can win the vezina. Its my opinion, and opinion only, that at 35 he will not get any better. The Bruins have clicked on all cylinders this year, now with the possibility of losing pieces due to the salary cap, they may becomes significantly less deep in certain positions.

In a salary cap era, i just dont think its a good deal for someone who hasnt proved anything in the playoffs. Im not taking anything away from his season statistics because they are unreal.

Just an example, Theodore was signed 3 years at 6 per after the hart and vezina in a non-cap era and everyone thought it was terrible and Gainey should be lynched. At that point he was younger and had more proven than Thomas.

I just dont like it.
What does Theodore's contract from 5 years ago have anything to do with this conversation?

UFA eligible goalie contracts signed over the last couple of years making the same or more than Thomas's contract: Huet, Backstrom, Nabakov, Turco, Kipper, JSG, Vokoun. Jose frigging Theodore got 2 years at $4.5M per after totally blowing dog for most of his time in COL.

The Habs are paying similiar money to Hamrlik or Kovalev - how is that working out for them?

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:24 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucic View Post
I don't think there is any one who can argue that trading Huet and throwing Price in right away was the right move.
Despite the fact that Price was one of the best goalies in the league post-deadline last year and actually won a playoff series, which Huet has never done?

Yeah you're right. What a bonehead move. We should've stuck with the sure-thing in Huet. That way you guys might've beaten us.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:32 AM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Despite the fact that Price was one of the best goalies in the league post-deadline last year and actually won a playoff series, which Huet has never done?

Yeah you're right. What a bonehead move. We should've stuck with the sure-thing in Huet. That way you guys might've beaten us.
They goal in hockey is to win the Stanley cup, not one playoff series.

Its called easing a guy in, rather than throwing him to the wolves.

LordLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

just my POV, im glad all the bruins fans like the deal, good for you.

lets see how he goes from the underated, underdog gritty 1.1 mil guy, to the 5.2mil, mr.vezina, goalie of the top team in the East, spotlight goalie.

im not being sarcastic, im curious to see how the new found "pressure" will affect him.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
bb_fan

Quote:

- Rask will rot
- he is 34

from one of the bigger bruin trolls on here...

ya, he's just a good guy, so boston threw crazy money at him, has nothing to do with his gaoltending skills....

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:55 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

actually price was one of the many reasons that series went 7 games.

Also, your not blaming Huet for the series loss vs the canes are ya?
didn't He stop 42 of 43 shots against the canes in his first habs playoff game?an OT win the second game and then the habs lost 4 straight with scores of 2-1, 3-2, 2-1,2-1
That was Huet's doing? roflmao

Old
04-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Some big overpayment going on with goalies lately. First Backstrom, and now Thomas.

IMO, no goalie should be making as much as, or more than Brodeur, regardless of if he took a discount.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucic View Post
They goal in hockey is to win the Stanley cup, not one playoff series.

Its called easing a guy in, rather than throwing him to the wolves.
Because Huet won the Cup? I don't understand your logic. Instead of going with the goalie that won 1 series, we should have gone with the one that won 0?

We eased Price in when he won the Calder Cup, and was subsequently mentored under Huet. At what point does "easing in" become "stunting the development of"?

Anyway this isn't about Price, so who cares. I'm happy for Thomas because he's a good guy and he deserves it. From the Bruins side I think it's a bit high, but I guess you don't have much negotiating leverage when the other party is the best goalie in the NHL stats-wise. Interesting to see if the B's will feel the cap crunch next year. Either way, I think this is move they had to make

Old
04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
actually price was one of the many reasons that series went 7 games.
And he still won the series with a game 7 shutout. Not bad for a 21-year old in his first ever playoffs.

I'm starting to think some people would've only been happy with the Huet deal if Price went 16-0 in the playoffs.