HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Should Kovalchuk be in the Rangers plans?

Old
04-04-2009, 04:36 PM
AJRanger

vCash: 500
I've got a feeling we'll end up with Gaborik, somehow. Of course that wouldn't be a problem were it not for the injury risks, but if he can stay healthy i'd have absolutely no issues against going after him instead.

Kovy would be nice, but I just don't see it happening. Atlanta won't let him go for nothing, so does this team have sufficient pieces that they're prepared to part with to get him, that's the question. And could they put together a good enough package to best the god knows how many other teams that'll go after him.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 05:25 PM
NYR Viper

Unless Sather can get rid of some major contracts there is no possible way for him to fit either player.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 05:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
I've got a feeling we'll end up with Gaborik, somehow. Of course that wouldn't be a problem were it not for the injury risks, but if he can stay healthy i'd have absolutely no issues against going after him instead.

Kovy would be nice, but I just don't see it happening. Atlanta won't let him go for nothing, so does this team have sufficient pieces that they're prepared to part with to get him, that's the question. And could they put together a good enough package to best the god knows how many other teams that'll go after him.
Kovalchuk is an Unrestricted free agent after next season...

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 05:39 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Kovalchuk is an Unrestricted free agent after next season...
Oh I know, hence the 'Atlanta won't let him go for nothing' part. They have to look to move him before then or, as was said, it'd be bad asset management.

Old
04-04-2009, 06:06 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Oh I know, hence the 'Atlanta won't let him go for nothing' part. They have to look to move him before then or, as was said, it'd be bad asset management.
What he's saying is that We don't have to get him when he's still under contract. And as Ranger fans, we could care less about their "bad asset management" unless they trade him to us for a play off push or something. But if we get him in the off season we frankly don't care because we wouldn't have to give anything up for him.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
What he's saying is that We don't have to get him when he's still under contract. And as Ranger fans, we could care less about their "bad asset management" unless they trade him to us for a play off push or something. But if we get him in the off season we frankly don't care because we wouldn't have to give anything up for him.
Exactly.

He will hit the UFA market, where he will be able to choose which team he wants to play out the majority of the rest of his career.

We can keep our top prospects, top young NHL roster players, and our draft picks.

The rest is up to ridding of large contracts, hard cap rising or falling, and where Kovi wants to go.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:22 PM
AJRanger

Clearly I couldn't care less about their asset management either, I was just looking at it from their perspective. If he hits the UFA market, absolutely fantastic.

Old
04-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Ih8theislanders

We NEED a go-to guy. He is the only one coming up in the next two UFA periods. We need this guy.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 08:05 PM
lundqvistfan33

its not as easy as some of you guys are making it out to be. What team in their right minds would take Redden, Gomez, Drury, or Rosival. once those teams that the Rangers offered them to saw the cap hit they would have to take they would say no deal no matter what. No team wants that contract because it then will put a handcuff on their ability to sign people in the offseason or make a trade for a playoff push

lundqvistfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 08:45 PM
dynamoovechkin

Think Atlanta would take Anson Carter for him? Just askin'...

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:

We got a great training staff!!!

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Kovalchuk, Antropov and Zherdev

Talk about talent... and a lack of championships and winning pedigree.

Not the type of players i want on my team. Maybe 1 of them with the right supporting cast and its easy to see which one.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
jdw1282

You guys have 4 of the worst, if not THE worst contracts in the league (which you have no prayer of ridding yourselves of in the forseeable future with a falling cap) that will make up close to half your cap in 2010. Good luck finding a way to fit Kovalchuk in. How are you going to keep Staal? Dubinsky? Callahan? Lund makes a good amount as well.

And Atl would never move Kovalchuk for Lundquist. Never

the Rangers are in for some tough times for the next 3 or 4 years. You guys are probably in the worst shape salary/skill wise of any team in the league.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 04-07-2009 at 05:44 PM.
jdw1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1282 View Post
you new yorkers are hysterical. you think it is your right to have the best players just because you are from New York.
No, thats your assumption based on 5 opinions out of 5 million.

Quote:
This isnt baseball and the Rangers are not the Yankees (anymore). You guys have 4 of the worst, if not THE worst contracts in the league (which you have no prayer of ridding yourselves of in the forseeable future with a falling cap) that will make up close to half your cap in 2010. Good luck finding a way to fit Kovalchuk in.
I agree, the signings of our careless GM makes it hard to sign anyone.

Quote:
And Atl would never move Kovalchuk for Lundquist. Never
Their loss.

Quote:
the Rangers are in for some tough times for the next 3 or 4 years
Well, if we're challenging for the playoffs every year in spite of those terrible signings, i'll take it.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:44 PM
jdw1282

[QUOTE=Bluenote13;18920446]No, thats your assumption based on 5 opinions out of 5 million.

I live in NYC. Great city, spoiled sports fans. My assumption is based off of living here for 5 years and MANY more than 5 opinions. Truth be told, I dont even know many Ranger fans, and the ones I do know dont really care about them in comparison the the Yankees, Mets, Giants etc. But this thread is more like a Yankee thread than a Rangers.

I just think its humorous to think you guys have any chance of landing Kovalchuk in your current situation.

jdw1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

[QUOTE=jdw1282;18920669]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
No, thats your assumption based on 5 opinions out of 5 million.

I live in NYC. Great city, spoiled sports fans. My assumption is based off of living here for 5 years and MANY more than 5 opinions. Truth be told, I dont even know many Ranger fans, and the ones I do know dont really care about them in comparison the the Yankees, Mets, Giants etc. But this thread is more like a Yankee thread than a Rangers.

I just think its humorous to think you guys have any chance of landing Kovalchuk in your current situation.
Yeah, I'm a Yanks fan and I can't take most of that fanbase, too spoiled from the 90's. Longtime Ranger fans are different animals all together. We know better

I think its humorous too since Waddell keeps saying he's not trading AK.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 03:49 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
This post is so bad on so many levels.

So at 27 he's hit his peak? In his 4th full year? Get real.
dont listen to him and dagoon. It's much better to worship people who wouldnt be in the league if it werent for fighting, than those responsible for most of our success the last few years

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

And your anti-NY sports bias is way over the top.

You know what? FAs frequently DO come here. It's reality (and, frankly, speaking as a fan, I'm not always 100% in favor of it, because I'd like to see more homegrown superstars). But it is what it is. So, if they figure out a way to make space for him, the Rangers will be a player. Therefore, it's not unrealistic to talk about it.

No one is saying he WILL come here. It would certainly take some doing. However to go off like you did, is just silly, stick-your-head-in-the-sand logic of someone who hates the fact that NY teams frequently DO get the high profile FAs. Because, like it or not, it IS a possibility.

And before you go on and on about our terrible contracts again, no one here is denying them - what people are saying is that they can be eliminated. How? Gomez or Rozsival could be traded. Redden could be bought out (for ~$2.04MM cap hit) or demoted a la Kasparaitis. Heck, even Drury might go (in a trade to Colorado or LA, if he waives his NMC), although I think that's the least likely of the lot. I am fairly certain that Naslund and his $4mm cap hit at the very least will be moved (with his consent, of course) this offseason - and I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the others went with him.

Just because you're annoyed at the fact that many FAs come here, don't ignore the facts.

Furthermore, and more importantly, Kovalchuk moving as an UFA is the least likely scenario. Many of us who have posted in this thread have been talking about acquiring Ilya in a trade, not as a UFA. Depending on how much Sather is willing to give up, that is CERTAINLY a possibility. Because in my (and many other, non-NY Ranger fans') opinion it is almost impossible that he will stay in ATL - which means he's going SOMEwhere. Why not to NY, if the team is willing to deal the assets?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 05:19 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
No he shouldn't be. To have other teams players in your teams plans make no sense what so ever, you have no control over what other teams decide to do with those players. Take care of your own backyard, if a guy is a UFA, then he's on the open market and you can do whatever is in your team's interest.

Should Montreal have made plans to sign VL as a UFA a year or two down the line?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote