HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you were the GM

Old
04-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Id go young and Gaborik.

Seriously though, we are in a big mess and needs to build properly for once to get out of the hole we are in. That will take 4 years atleast. Here is my plan for it.

And let Antro, Morris, Mara and Betts walk. And tell Näslund that he won't play another game here in NY, and force him to waive his NTC.

My team 09-10;
Gaborik-Gomer-Callahan//I think Gomez and Gaborik could develop some chemistry. Gomer isn't the easiest player to play with for a wing -- but Gaborik is mostly a counterattack player anyway -- and Gomez and Cally would dig out some pucks for him. While beeing a half good fit in the attacking zone.
Avery-Drury-Anisimov//Anisimov would step into Antro's position. Anisimov in terms of style actually probably fits in better then Antro with Avery-Drury. He lacks some in the top end offensive department compared with Antro though. Drury and Avery are effective hockeyplayers. They don't really need to dominate the unit they are up against to score 50 pts per season each. That would help Anisimov. It wouldn't be a unit that like went 6 games without scoring a goal. They wouldn't score like a good 2nd line, but they would be solid defensivly and all 3 could probably score around 50 pts.
Grachev-Dubinsky-Zherdev//Dubinsky and Zherdev does allot of offensive dirty work so to speak. They take allot of responsibility with the puck. Grachev could feel his way into the NHL on this line. It would indeed be a big jump for him, but for reasons I'll explain down low I think its worth it.
Sjöström-Korpikoski-Orr

Staal-Girardi//I think Staal will take another step for sure next season. This would be a 24-26 minute unit on my team. They would play with the 2nd and 4th unit basically.
Redden-Rozsival//Would be the unit I would want to have out there with the 1st line. They would play around 24 minutes per night.
Sanguinetti-Sauer/cheap vet//They would mostly see some 5 on 5 in the first and second periods. Sangs would play on the 1st PP unit with Redden. In cap league it really isn't good managing to have a 3rd pairing that makes 4-6m combined. You can definitly have a 3rd pairing in hockey that you can use in a way that it doesn't hurt you no matter if its flawed.

Thoughts:
I would want to build a contender. We aren't gooing to be that next season no matter what we do this summer. I would spend next season on building a young forward group that would have potential in 2-3 years. Its a group of forwards that we could keep together for a long time if we sign Gaborik to a long term deal (like 6 years and 7m per) and Zherdev to a 5 year 5m deal. It would only take small raises to in the big picture keep that group together for 5-6 years.

Torts would have allot on his hands with all the Euros. But he would also have some skill on allot of hands. Pretty decent size and also some grit. He would have something to work with for sure. And would also get TIME to do it.

Gaborik is a really good player.

We would barely be able to get under the cap with this team, and then in the 10-11 season Staals and Girardi's contracts are up. I would then trade Rozsival and buy out Redden. That would clera up around 9m to resign Staal and Giradi and the 3-5m the cap is bound to drop.

In 10-11 its time to rebuild the defense. The forwards would be more established for sure, but the defense would be thin. Thats life.

Team 10-11;
Gaborik-Gomez-Callahan
Avery-Drury-Anisimov
Grachev-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Sjöström-Korpi-Orr
Staal-Sanguinetti
MDZ-Girardi
cheap vet-Sauer

Then in 11-12 the cap probably could go up a bit. The dollar is bound to drop, and every % the USD goes down, multplies the total income form all NHL teams with the same amount * 1/3 (the CDN teams make out 1/3 of the income). Everyone important would still basically be under contract -- we wouldn't be forced much to keep the team together -- and now we could look to maybe bring in a 5m D that compliments what we have.

Team 11-12
Gaborik-Gomez-Callahan
Avery-Drury-Anisimov
Grachev-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Sjöström-Korpi-Orr
Staal-Sanguinetti
MDZ-Girardi
Sauer
+probably around 5m to improve the team.

//We could also possibly deal Drury this season since he only would make 5m and his NMC stopps working, I think.

MY PLAN -- TIMELINE:
09-10 -- Rebuild the forward group
10-11 -- Rebuild the defense
11-12 -- Get experience and home ice advantage.
12-13 -- CONTEND

If we aren't ready to contend in 12-13, Drury's 7m for sure is comming of the books. The cap will definitly go up the max. We would then definitly be able to sign anyone who is out there on the market.

Last edited by Ola: 04-03-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 07:19 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Hellooooo Hartford.

IMHO its a good example for future UFAs, play like crap, youre going to play in Hartford. Period.
Dolan says no.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
Dolan says no.
Yeah, that'll be the day. I can just picture it now....

Sather: I'm thinking of putting Redden down to Hartford. He has been really brutal. We'll just put him down there for the next 5 years. No biggie.
Dolan: NO!
Sather: What did you just say! I won 5 Stanley Cups in Edmonton. FIVE! You should be kissing my feet.
Dolan: Yes Mr. Sather. Of course Mr. Sather
Sather: We'll go over this again. I'm sending Redden down to Hartford, okay...?
Dolan: Sure thing, you're the General Manager, you coached that Wayne guy that I bought!

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 07:30 PM
NYR Viper

All I have to say is that there better be at least 2 spots in the lineup

Zherdev-Gomez-Callahan(12 million)
Avery-Drury-Antropov(13 million)
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Korpikoski(4 million)
Sjostrom-Betts-Orr(3 million)

Staal-Girardi(2.5 million)
Redden-Morris(resigned at 2.5 million a season to replace Rozsival)(9 million)
Potter-Sauer(2 million)

Hank
Zaba/Wiikman
(7.75 million)

That comes to about 53 million....should leave plenty of space should Sather want to make a big splash at the deadline or just leave the room open so as to make sure he is under the cap for the following season when the cap may go down.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
if i were gm, i wouldnt resign morris and i would trade rosival. mara is a basic necessity at this point, he's a veteran that is familiar with the players, is physical and has a nice shot. that leaves 2 open spots for competition in the fall. id guess its probably best to assume that sauer and potter get both spots as they are both right handed shots.

that right there frees up roughly 8 million dollars, subatracting the 2 call ups salaries from rosival and morris' salaries.

then id also explore trading drury back to colorado. i do not think that we could get wolski back from them but possibly we can get a decent return. that is another 7 million available. valiquette is expendable also. and naslund should be traded at all costs.

so that gives us roughly 20 million to spend.

antropov, zherdev, dubinsky, mara, and betts should all be resigned.
4 mill 3.5 mill 2 mill 2 mill 1.5 mill

that totals up to be around 13 mill. leaving 7 mill to spend.

id like to see a run at gaborik or hossa be made. if it is gaborik then we'd likely have money to have for cap cushion. if its hossa then we probably max out.

we need an explosive offense. we cant settle for this hard work crap. yes it is needed but there comes a time where talent outweighs the work. the rangers right now have little offensive talent but all hard work. there needs to be a mix. gaborik and hossa have a package of hard work and talent, so the work wouldnt be sacrificed and we'd gain talent.

i wont go into lines but overall i think itd be more explosive...

but then again i woudlnt want to be gm if these things didnt work out.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Ice Hockey

i would go for johan franzen and do everything possible to move gomez, redden and naslund.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote