HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need the CAT line back...

Old
04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
We need the CAT line back...

Did you guys notice how those 3 connected like they were 2 years ago? Now finally we have a real 1st line, but no 2nd line. It's clear that A.Kost experiment on the left is an epic fail and imo Higgins who plays a good north-south game gives Andrei the ability to control the puck as he pleases, alot more then his brother who also likes to hold on to it, while A.kost has to play a powerforward that is not his game to be effective.

Tanguay-koivu-Kovalev
Higgins-Plekanec-A.Kost
Latendresse-Lappierre-Kostopoulos
Laraque/Stewart-Metropolit-S.Kost/Dandenault/Stewart

That imo should be our line-up for the remainder of the year and the playoffs

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

That line really started to click in their last couple of shifts so hopefully they do stay together as Plekanec and Kostitsyn need someone to get them going.

Also Dandenault should be put on D and Brisebois shouldn't play again, Dandenault played very, very good in the third on D despite not having played on D for a while.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:12 AM

I'd be interested in seeing them back together...IF Plekanec had shown any sign of regaining last years form for more than 2 weeks. Everytime I think he's found his groove again, he falls back asleep.

A year to forget for Tomas, though I do think he's a better player than he's shown this year. I also think he can still be useful to this team even if he's not scoring.

Like I said in the PGT...I think i'd change his role with Lapierre's for now.

13-11-27
84-40-46
21-14-6

would be my top 9...play Plekanec line against the top line's in conjunction with Metro's line.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 10:40 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kosteegin View Post
That line really started to click in their last couple of shifts so hopefully they do stay together as Plekanec and Kostitsyn need someone to get them going.

Also Dandenault should be put on D and Brisebois shouldn't play again, Dandenault played very, very good in the third on D despite not having played on D for a while.
Many are underestimating the VALUE of a good checking line. The Habs of the 70s had Jarvis - Roberts/Chartraw - Gainey.

Metropolit - Dandenault - Higgins is a very effective checking line right now. By shutting down the opponents'top line, and creating counterchances as well, we are greatly reducing the shots against, and the goals against, and increasing the confidence of the rest of the club.

Higgins and Dandenault should NOT be moved in the long run to other roles.

Let O'Byrne play defence if Hamrlik can't return quick, and IF in the next 4 games d'Agostini and Sergei can't click with Pleks and AKost, let Pacioretty take up the 2nd scoring line LW spot with Pleks and AKost (on RW) when he can return with 2 games left in the season.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Many are underestimating the VALUE of a good checking line. The Habs of the 70s had Jarvis - Roberts/Chartraw - Gainey.

Metropolit - Dandenault - Higgins is a very effective checking line right now. By shutting down the opponents'top line, and creating counterchances as well, we are greatly reducing the shots against, and the goals against, and increasing the confidence of the rest of the club.

Let O'Byrne play defence if Hamrlik can't return quick, and IF in the next 4 games d'Agostini and Sergei can't click with Pleks and AKost, let Pacioretty take up the 2nd scoring line LW spot with Pleks and AKost (on RW) when he can return with 2 games left in the season.
Are you REALLY comfortable with Metropolit playing against the opponents best lines, night in, night out? I'd rather that responsbility be spread between him and either Lapierre or Plekanec

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

I think we really need to get a second line who can score on a consistent basis. In a few minutes of play, Higins gave two scoring chance to Kostitsyn, and we need his goals to get further. It's true we need a checking line, but I think it's easier to give a role to other players and create a successful checking line.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I hate the idea of moving Higgins off the 4th line after he's played so well. But we desperately need a 2nd line, so I would be all for putting the CAT line back together permanently.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
psychonaut

Plex's and Higgins can shut down pretty well, I would be more confident with these 2 vs other top line.

And its can score

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 01:24 PM
TheGoalJudge

Higgins is back to being a beast. A complete and utter beast. I'd put him back on the 2nd line.

TheGoalJudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I hate the idea of moving Higgins off the 4th line after he's played so well. But we desperately need a 2nd line, so I would be all for putting the CAT line back together permanently.
I think Stewart can pretty much do an ok job defensively to cover Higgins on the 4th line

Old
04-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

Like I said in the PGT...I think i'd change his role with Lapierre's for now.
Personally, I think Lappy and Lats are playing that well because they don't have any pressure.
Any offensive output is greatly appreciated, but that's not their role.

Making them your 2nd line, means more responsibilities and different roles. Lats can be top6, I have no doubt about that, but not Lappy.

Plek has been horrible as of late, yet again, but yesterday's game not really his fault seeing as he lost both his linemates for half the game. But yea, he needs to wake up.

Most importantly, 3 of our lines are working almost to perfection right now. The Lappy line and the Metropolit line are perfect for the POs. I don't want to see them switched. The 2nd line will just have to keep working harder.

Last edited by Kriss E: 04-01-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 01:37 PM
hellojp

Quote:
Agreed... Dandenault has come back to the team with a force and I think in Part is the reason for higgins being a "beast". Does higgins deserve to on the second line.. Ya.. However, their line is really making a diffence.

Higgins can still be used in other lines (double shift) and/or on special teams.

Keep Dandenault as a Forward and if one of the D-men get hurt, he is there to take their place.

hellojp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Alfie Turcotte

What about this ?

Tanguay-koivu-Kovalev
Latendresse-Lapierre-A.Kost
Higgins-Plekanec-S.Kost
Dandenault-Metropolit-Kostopoulos

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Duff88

I'd personally go with statu quo. I'd hate to break up the Higgins-Metropolis-Dandenault line because it's doing extremely well right now and I can't see a checking line clicking as much.

Furthermore, I think the line with the Kostitsyn brothers and Plekanec is going to produce given time to get comfortable.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post
I'd personally go with statu quo. I'd hate to break up the Higgins-Metropolis-Dandenault line because it's doing extremely well right now and I can't see a checking line clicking as much.

Furthermore, I think the line with the Kostitsyn brothers and Plekanec is going to produce given time to get comfortable.
Wow, forget a bout brigning a potential great 2nd line to kepp the 4th line intacxt, that's some weird thinking...

Old
04-01-2009, 02:31 PM
mcphee

Quote:

have you noticed that the model/purpose of each line is eerily similar to one Gainey learned from one of his own coaches. Load up one line, best with the best, have a good 2 way line that creates havoc, have a tenacious checking line, whatever players are left over play on a secondary offensive line. Obviously the quality is different, but the structure is the same, I would change a damn thing. The message is clear to the other guys, find a way to make it work, everyone else has, no gets catered to.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
have you noticed that the model/purpose of each line is eerily similar to one Gainey learned from one of his own coaches. Load up one line, best with the best, have a good 2 way line that creates havoc, have a tenacious checking line, whatever players are left over play on a secondary offensive line. Obviously the quality is different, but the structure is the same, I would change a damn thing. The message is clear to the other guys, find a way to make it work, everyone else has, no gets catered to.
Give us a good protector to make sure our forwards don't die out there and our forward line-up is complete....

Old
04-01-2009, 03:06 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I think Stewart can pretty much do an ok job defensively to cover Higgins on the 4th line
Of course Stewart can play on a "fourth line" for 7-8 minutes.

That's not what I am looking for. I am looking for an EXCELLENT defensive line that will shut down the other team (this helps you win, shhhhh) and also creates counterchances. Something like we once had with Jarvis-xxxx-Gainey or Carbonneau-xxxx-Gainey.

Higgins and Dandenault, with either Metropolit or Plekanec at C, will do great at this. Right now, with Lang out, Pleks has to play 2nd scoring line role.

In reality, by number of minutes played, the pecking order is ideally this:

1 Top scoring line
2 Excellent defensive line that counterattacks too
3/4 Secondary scoring line
3/4 Productive energy line

Moving Higgins from the second line to one of the third lines is not a promotion, and Stewart cannot play on a second line for 15 minutes and shut down guys like Lecavalier like Higgins did.

Scoring isn't everything. Scoring MORE THAN the opponent is. Excellent shutdown players are GOLD because by knocking out the top scorers of the other team, they help you win very much.

Old
04-01-2009, 03:10 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Higgins is back to being a beast. A complete and utter beast. I'd put him back on the 2nd line.
Right now, he IS on the second most important line!

Old
04-01-2009, 03:10 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Wow, forget a bout brigning a potential great 2nd line to kepp the 4th line intacxt, that's some weird thinking...
You have the value inverted. The two most important lines are the top scoring line and the top defensive line. The two lesser importance lines are the secondary scoring line and the energy line.

You keep calling Higgins' line the "fourth line". It ain't. Check out how many minutes Higgins played against Tampa Bay shutting down Lecavalier and Atlanta shutting down Kovalchuk.

Old
04-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
You have the value inverted. The two most important lines are the top scoring line and the top defensive line. The two lesser importance lines are the secondary scoring line and the energy line.

You keep calling Higgins' line the "fourth line". It ain't. Check out how many minutes Higgins played against Tampa Bay shutting down Lecavalier and Atlanta shutting down Kovalchuk.
The Higgins line is the 4th line, Higgins just picks up ice time elsewhere like on th epp and ok. 5 on 5 that is the 4th line.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
I suppose, but I've been quite happy with the way Higgins has been playing since placed on the 4th line. That's the only reason why I would think twice before doing it.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:40 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I suppose, but I've been quite happy with the way Higgins has been playing since placed on the 4th line. That's the only reason why I would think twice before doing it.
But wouldn't putting Higs with

Higs - Laps - Lats

making that line much deadlier?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
I am ok with the CAT line, the OP is right, 2 years ago, that line was actually pretty good, but id like to see sergei with them a bit more, considering higgins on the 4th is paying off

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Andy

For any line with Plekanec and Kostitsyn to work, Plekanec has to pass the puck! That's why he's been so terrible this year, his breakout last season has gotten to his head and he thinks he's a superstar! Last year he used to make beautiful plays, this year all he's looking to do is shoot from anywhere, it's really fustrating. Yesterday Higgins made two passes that sent Andrei flying in on Huet, why Andrei was doing that was because he finally got a pass.

If the line is to work, then Plekanec needs to wake up and stop trying to play like a one man show, if he does, we'll have a potent second line.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote