HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Johan Frazen

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2009, 09:29 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodyBeast View Post
Franzen is signing with the Wings IMO.
I'm putting my money on that too, though it would be interesting to see him with the Pens.

Old
04-04-2009, 09:40 AM
CLF4life
Bourque ** Lidstrom

I'v liked this guy since last years playoffs he's got alot of tools, imo he's worth 5.5 but will sign for less to stay in Det. Id love to see him in blue and white next season though.

Old
04-04-2009, 01:56 PM
KesseltoLupul

I would kill for this to be the Leafs team next year...

Cammalleri - Franzen - Tlusty

Kulemin - Grabovski - Hagman

Hanson - Bozak - Blake

Mayers - Mitchell - May

Kaberle - White

Schenn - Gilroy

Finger - Oreskovic

Toskala
Pogge

Old
04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
GDU

when you look at some of the other centres out there and their salaries frazen is still a steal at 6 million

gomez-7mill, horcoff 5.5mill....

if he takes anything under 5mill he is taking a huge discount iMO

Old
04-04-2009, 02:53 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
when you look at some of the other centres out there and their salaries frazen is still a steal at 6 million

gomez-7mill, horcoff 5.5mill....

if he takes anything under 5mill he is taking a huge discount iMO
You can't base his value on a few grossly overpaid players. The Rangers have a bunch of people not earning their pay cheques. If every D man playing better than Wade Redden had to be paid like him the league would go broke

JF had 38 points last year and will barely make 60 points this year. He is a valuable guy but not an established star. I could see between 5.0 and 5.5 million as an FA and more like 4-4.5 million as a Wing.

Old
04-04-2009, 09:51 PM
peperebougon*

He'll sign with the wings but if not I expect the habs to be one of the bidders. Lots of cap space and he would really fill a need.

Old
04-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Franzen isn't going anywhere.

Old
04-04-2009, 09:57 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
JF had 38 points last year and will barely make 60 points this year. He is a valuable guy but not an established star. I could see between 5.0 and 5.5 million as an FA and more like 4-4.5 million as a Wing.
This guy is as clutch as they get though. 8 GWGs first on the wings. And this kid shows up when it matters. He single handedly beat the AVs in the playoffs last year. And id rather have the 40+ goal scorer than the kid with 70+ points but only 20 are goals.

Old
04-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
i think he and his agent are going to command 5+.
"Command?"

They'll certainly ask for $5 million-plus, but good luck getting it.

Franzenstein is a good player, but not elite, and non-elite guys don't get -- or deserve -- $5 million-plus.

82 goals in 287 games over four seasons are not $5 million production figures...

I'll go out on a limb and make this prediction right here, right now... if Franzen goes anywhere but back to Detroit, he never gets within shouting distance of 30 goals again. And at 29 years old, he only has so many years of productive time left, given his power-forward playing style and his history of nagging injuries.

P_B

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 04-05-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: corrected typos...
Old
04-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
The Rangers will give him 7 million for 7 years

Old
04-05-2009, 10:29 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I'll go out on a limb and make this prediction right here, right now... if Franzen goes anywhere but back to Detroit, he never gets within shouting distance of 30 goals again. And at 29 years old, he only has so many years of productive time left, given his power-forward playing style and his history of nagging injuries.
This is definitely sour grapes, because you can't be watching Franzen's game. He does not have a "power-forward playing style" at all. He's a finesse player in a large body. He'll drive the net and screen but he doesn't really hit or play overly physical in the corners. He's just a sniper in a big body. Considering most of his goals are off individual efforts or rebounds, things which translate to any playstyle, I doubt he'll drop off the map like you seem to predict. His scoring binge last season and in the playoffs wasn't with elite players like Datsyuk or Zetterberg on his line. He scored those goals with Filppula and Samuelsson, not exactly a couple guys you'd call "elite" and are definitely not in the upper tier at their position. He may not hit 30 goals, but he'll be a consistent 25-28 goal guy at worse for the next several seasons with a knack for scoring clutch goals. Unless that's what you consider outside of "shouting distance" of 30 goals then you are very mistaken.

Old
04-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
I would kill for this to be the Leafs team next year...

Cammalleri - Franzen - Tlusty

Kulemin - Grabovski - Hagman

Hanson - Bozak - Blake

Mayers - Mitchell - May

Kaberle - White

Schenn - Gilroy

Finger - Oreskovic

Toskala
Pogge
Way to go, you made Jason Blake cry.

Old
04-05-2009, 02:08 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
The latest on Franzen is that he'd get a deal similar in structure to Zetterberg. Long term, with the final 2 years low-balled to reduce the cap hit. Although, I doubt it'll be another 12 year deal.

So, just to throw out numbers...

6 years / $21 million

5 / 4.5 / 4.5 / 4 / 2 / 1 = 3.5 cap hit
While a contract of this type would be within the rules, the NHL needs to address this type of cap circumvention.

Old
04-05-2009, 02:11 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
While a contract of this type would be within the rules, the NHL needs to address this type of cap circumvention.
but we must take advantage before the nhl stops it!

Old
04-05-2009, 05:23 PM
HeHateMeFrisbee

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
i think he and he's agent are going to command 5+.

Not in Detroit then.

Old
04-06-2009, 03:52 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
It's not circumvention and I don't see how you can even think it is. The team gets a discount on the cap at the front of the contract, but at the end they are paying a huge cap hit for a minimal salary. How is that circumvention? The total dollars spent equal the total cap dollars counted over the entire contract.

Old
04-06-2009, 04:00 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
It's not circumvention and I don't see how you can even think it is. The team gets a discount on the cap at the front of the contract, but at the end they are paying a huge cap hit for a minimal salary. How is that circumvention? The total dollars spent equal the total cap dollars counted over the entire contract.
If the contract is signed before a player is 35, and runs into years where he's very likely to retire, it's circumvention. Otherwise, you're right.

Old
04-06-2009, 04:07 PM
ashenhigh

Quote:
"Command?"

They'll certainly ask for $5 million-plus, but good luck getting it.

Franzenstein is a good player, but not elite, and non-elite guys don't get -- or deserve -- $5 million-plus.

82 goals in 287 games over four seasons are not $5 million production figures...

P_B

Just so you know, Franzen is probably the softest 6-3 player in the league. Although he is totally capable of beating some a** (see Malkin in the SCF) he is much more a finesse playing sniper than a power forward. Now if somehow he could pull a Shanny and be able to master both at the same time...

Old
04-06-2009, 04:18 PM
ShippinItDaily

Send a message via MSN to ShippinItDaily
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenhigh View Post
Just so you know, Franzen is probably the softest 6-3 player in the league. Although he is totally capable of beating some a** (see Malkin in the SCF) he is much more a finesse playing sniper than a power forward. Now if somehow he could pull a Shanny and be able to master both at the same time...
He may not throw hi-lite real hits but he is by no means soft. Franzen plays hard in the corners and in front of the net and does not shy away from contact.

Not soft at all IMO.

Old
04-06-2009, 04:36 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
You're only right if the player plays out the full term of the contract. If the player signs the deal when he is under age 35, then retires before the contract is over, the cap hit is gone as soon as the player retires. That's why it's cap circumvention.

Old
04-06-2009, 04:40 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDangles View Post
He may not throw hi-lite real hits but he is by no means soft. Franzen plays hard in the corners and in front of the net and does not shy away from contact.

Not soft at all IMO.
Yeah, people confuse hitting with toughness too often. I would never call Franzen soft.

Old
04-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Yeah, people confuse hitting with toughness too often. I would never call Franzen soft.
Which I didn't.

I have news for all the Detroit fans here, and everywhere... every guy that plays for the Red Wings is not the greatest thing that ever laced on skates.

As I said, if Franzen goes anywhere but Detroit, he never gets close to 30 goals again.

He stays in Detroit, with the best team (and most favorable officiating) money can buy, he'll get 30 again.

P_B

Old
04-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Kencaid

the notion of franzen being soft really isnt valid imo (except for how often he seems to get hurt? seems to miss 10-15 games each year, which isnt bad as long as he is healthy during playoff time). Franzen is pulling off over 90 hits this year, which is a decent number imo, especially playing on detriot, which is generally considered one of the more finesse structured teams in the west. Due to his body size, even if he is a sniper at heart, he is gonna play like a PWF. He is strong enough to stand in front of the net and does it very well imo.

Even though i wouldnt call him soft, i dont think calling him gritty would apply here either. He has a good balance imo. Willing to go the corners, he gets to the net, combined with some shooting skill is very solid package. However his stats are inflated playing for Detroit. The Wings are maybe the best franchise in the NHL (management wise), and have such amazing talent it is just insane watching them. They play a structured game with a ton of offensive skill which most teams in NHL cannot match. Playing with other teams Franzen would still get over 20g, but not the 40 he could get in the motor city on the wing of Henrik or Datsyuk. Signing for 3.5-4m over 4-5 years would b great for him in hockeytown usa (5-5-4-3-1?).

And I dont think the Red Wings should resign Hossa. They just dont need him, getting a better goalie (not an allstar, just someone who is consistant) should b their short term priority until their prospects improve, not to mention the cap constaint they will be under with his 7M contract.

Old
04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
X8oD

Quote:
He stays in Detroit, with the best team (and most favorable officiating) money can buy, he'll get 30 again.

P_B
Anybody ever tell you that you represent the Mods of this site well?

****, the guy's a Maple Leaf fan and yer gonna toss that cheap shot?

Old
04-07-2009, 12:51 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
Which I didn't.

I have news for all the Detroit fans here, and everywhere... every guy that plays for the Red Wings is not the greatest thing that ever laced on skates.

As I said, if Franzen goes anywhere but Detroit, he never gets close to 30 goals again.

P_B
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story, right?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=623815

I got news for homer Blues mods, try not to let your hatred of a team blind you to the facts. Stick to the Blues board if the best you can do is snipe and try to start a flame war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
Anybody ever tell you that you represent the Mods of this site well?

****, the guy's a Maple Leaf fan and yer gonna toss that cheap shot?
Leafs fan? If his name wasn't a giveaway his Roman Polak avatar probably should have been that he's a Blues fan.

Closed Thread