HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Pick one for your team: Thornton or Kovalchuk

View Poll Results: Pick one for your team: Thornton or Kovalchuk
Joe Thornton 84 44.44%
Ilya Kovalchuk 105 55.56%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-04-2009, 04:03 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk will score 70 one season. If he didn't start off slow he would of had 60+ already. What did he have at one point like 20 goals in 13 games.

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:36 PM
OF17

Kovalchuck, since he's basically the exact type of player that would gel well with Ales Hemsky. Both are incredibly fast and skilled, and Kovalchuck plays on his off wing, leaving himself open for one-timers.

OF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 05:17 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I prefer players that make others around him better. Thornton does that. Kovalchuk doesn't but he is a world class finisher.
I prefer the guy that can pull the win out of his hat instead of hoping his team-mate can put the puck in the net.If kovy misses the shot then i can blame him instead of blaming his line-mates like a lot of Shark fans did after their playoff loss last season.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
What makes you think Kovalchuk will stop producing when he hits 29? You are using an argument to support one player, whilst completly neglecting that it will porbably support Kovalchuk as well. Kovalchuk isn't suddenly going to stop producing as he gets older. His skillset is simply too good for that. He plays a style of game where physical stress isn't going to be a factor, he has an array of disgusting shots that will cater for him well into his 30's and is blessed with elite stickhandling. The only thing he wil eventually lose is a step, but his other skills mean he will remain an elite producer.

I do believe Kovy barely played with Hossa at ES, whilst he hasn't played with Savard/Heatley for quite a few years. His support cast (not just one star teammate, but a good core of talent to play with) has been non existent for large parts of his NHL tenure. Personally i don't think it makes that much difference to his production. I think he scores roughly the same with or without a great core around him.
I did not say Kovalchuk would stop producing at age 29 now did I?

Another poster implied Kovalchuk was not even in his prime yet, and I retorted by saying "Yes he is", because that is the age branch in which the vast majority of players hit their best numbers.

Kovalchuk played with Hossa about as Much as Thornton played with Marleau for the first 2 years Thornton was in SJ. On the Powerplay. They are equal in that regard. Thornton's linemates otherwise those years were Cheechoo and Nils Ekman. Neither of whom were great without him.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Dr Quincy

For the Bruins line up I'd pick Kovalchuk. We have Savard/Krejci/Bergeron down the middle. I'd want the sniper on the wing. I'm not saying it would be the same for other teams though.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I prefer the guy that can pull the win out of his hat instead of hoping his team-mate can put the puck in the net.If kovy misses the shot then i can blame him instead of blaming his line-mates like a lot of Shark fans did after their playoff loss last season.
You can pull the win out of your hat with a beautiful pass. Really only amateurs would blame Thornton's linemates for last year's loss. Last year's loss was three overtime losses and a bad beat at home where the team lost their composure. Them's the breaks in hockey. Everyone could have played better.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton_19 View Post
Kovalchuk is certainly already in his prime and he had terrific linemates(Hossa/Savard/Heatley) for years.
Pleaaaase. You've obviously never watched a Thrashers game. Kovalchuk played a week or two on Hossa's line last year, but never did that at even strength aside from that short time period. Savard has been gone since 2006. Heatley hasn't played for Atlanta since before the lock out.

For the past three years, Kovalchuk has played with guys like Niko Kapanen, Bobby Holik, Glen Metropolit, Keith Tkachuk, Jon Sim, Todd White, Mark Recchi, Rich Peverley, and finally Bryan Little. None of those guys, except Little, are even close to the linemates that Thornton has had since going to San Jose.

You should really stop posting in this thread. Your homerism is obvious enough by your handle.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Pleaaaase. You've obviously never watched a Thrashers game. Kovalchuk played a week or two on Hossa's line last year, but never did that at even strength aside from that short time period. Savard has been gone since 2006. Heatley hasn't played for Atlanta since before the lock out.
Duh. I already said as much. My exact words were
Quote:
Kovalchuk played with Hossa about as Much as Thornton played with Marleau for the first 2 years Thornton was in SJ. On the Powerplay. They are equal in that regard. Thornton's linemates otherwise those years were Cheechoo and Nils Ekman. Neither of whom were great without him.
His Powerplay time with Hossa cannot be ignored any more than Thornton's PP time with Marleau.

Quote:
For the past three years, Kovalchuk has played with guys like Niko Kapanen, Bobby Holik, Glen Metropolit, Keith Tkachuk, Jon Sim, Todd White, Mark Recchi, Rich Peverley, and finally Bryan Little. None of those guys, except Little, are even close to the linemates that Thornton has had since going to San Jose.
Yes, because Cheechoo and Ekman(The two he played with the year he won the Hart) are just offensive dynamos right?

Cheechoo's scoring since being separated from Thornton has gone the way of the dodo. We all know where his Richard came from.

Last season, Thornton scored 96 points while his linemates scored 55 points and 37 points.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 08:29 PM
evgeni71

Kovalchuk without a doubt.

Almost everyone in Vancouver's top-6 are pass first guys, so a sniper would benefit the team much more than another playmaking center.

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Frankie Spankie

Depends on what team you're looking at. As a Boston fan, our centers are Bergeron, Krejci, and Savard. We really don't need another center so I'd take Kovalchuk any day. In the end, I might still take Kovalchuk since pure goal scorers are harder to come by.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:30 AM
revolverjgw

I'd take Thornton... the Habs have needed a big, dominant center for a very long time. I'm happy with our wingers, and we have a gamebreaker.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote