HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phil Kessel

Old
04-11-2009, 01:43 AM
WreckItRask

vCash: 500
Phil Kessel

Figured I would throw it out there. I still think that the Bruins are able to resign all their guys despite the shrinking salary cap, but where there's smoke there's fire, so I figured I would wonder what teams would be willing to give up for a guy like Kessel.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:53 AM
northernKing

How about Jack Johnson ?

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:05 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
How about Jack Johnson ?
A good starting point but nowhere near enough.

Probably Johnson + Kings 1st would be fair value.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Figured I would throw it out there. I still think that the Bruins are able to resign all their guys despite the shrinking salary cap, but where there's smoke there's fire, so I figured I would wonder what teams would be willing to give up for a guy like Kessel.
Why would another team trade for him? They would have to give up something to the Bruins, and then risk that he signs an offer sheet from someone else.

Plus whatever they would offer Boston has to be better than what Boston would get in compensation from an offer sheet otherwise there is no reason for Boston to do it. But if they are offering something better than compensation package, it makes no sense for the team trading for Kessel to do it, because they could just sign him to an offer sheet and give up the compensation.

Oh and besides all of that the Bruins would be stupid to trade him.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:30 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
didn't we have this last week?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:33 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
I think he is a future captain for the bruins, and perhaps even the states... A really talented player who can keep his head clear of idiotic stuff even when all his teammates are going at it.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:00 AM
C77

There's only a few players in the league that have the combined skating and shooting ability of Kessel. At 2:30 or so in this video is the great goal he scored Thursday against the Habs. Also in the video is Kovalev's great shot that hit two posts, Recchi's great passing and tipping, and Price's ridiculous glove save.

Kessel's only 21 and he's potted 33 goals in 69 games this year. I'd say his value is sky high right now. The awesome thing is that he's still getting better.

Of course that does present the problem of having to pay the guy which is sort of what this thread was intended for (I think).

I can't really see the Bruins trading Kessel for established NHL talent because cap consideration is the only reason why the Bruins would consider trading Kessel. If he gets $4.5 million as a RFA this year, who else in the NHL is a better value (including Kessel's upside) to be traded for him? The only guy I can think of is maybe Zach Parise (3.125 cap number) and the Devils only give him up when Hell freezes over.

So I guess the only thing that could pay the Bruins for Kessel would be draft picks because the Bruins already have other young talent they will have to pay like Krejci (this offseason) and Lucic/Wheeler (next offseason).

However, trading draft picks for Kessel is essentially what an offer sheet would be.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 05:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Would the Bruins match an offer sheet of six years and thirty four million?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
i hope not

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:23 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
It depends..........has their other marquee RFA (Krejci) re-signed yet, and if so, for how much?

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I think with Kessel, if another team wants him, the way to do it is with an offer sheet.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
If they do.... say good bye to krejci

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:09 PM
C77

Quote:
I don't think they would match on that one; they would take the compensation.

But what team is going to put up that amount of money?

Wouldn't it make more sense to sign a UFA to fill a hole and keep the draft picks?

Or to trade for a player instead of picking up a cap number of 5.67 with nothing coming off the books in exchange?

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I don't think they would match on that one; they would take the compensation.

But what team is going to put up that amount of money?

Wouldn't it make more sense to sign a UFA to fill a hole and keep the draft picks?

Or to trade for a player instead of picking up a cap number of 5.67 with nothing coming off the books in exchange?
The UFA crop isn't exactly great, perhaps a team with enough prospects would look at him as one of their centerpieces for the future, if they think he'll be a superstar. Offersheets are becoming common practice every summer, it's possible.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Well, I was thinking specifically of the Phoenix Coyotes, who have had six first round picks in the last three years(as well as having two in this draft, making it eight first round picks in four years), have the lowest payroll in the NHL, are getting a new ownership group, and desperately need more offense, as they were about the worst team in the league in that regard, this season. As a Coyotes fan, I'd easily give up two firsts, a second, and a third for Kessel. No hesitation. The money and the years would be much more difficult to swallow, than the draft pick compensation.

Old
04-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Well, I was thinking specifically of the Phoenix Coyotes, who have had six first round picks in the last three years(as well as having two in this draft, making it eight first round picks in four years), have the lowest payroll in the NHL, are getting a new ownership group, and desperately need more offense, as they were about the worst team in the league in that regard, this season. As a Coyotes fan, I'd easily give up two firsts, a second, and a third for Kessel. No hesitation. The money and the years would be much more difficult to swallow, than the draft pick compensation.
Hard to say what they'd do. They definitely have scoring depth on the wing right now (Wheeler, Kessel, Ryder, Sturm, Kobasew, Lucic) and it would mean they could resign Krejci. At the same time, it would be a major step back in their immediate future. I could see it going either way.

For the Coyotes it's also a difficult choice. Right now the team is way under the cap, but are they a team that's going to spend to the cap or even close to it? Is signing Kessel for $5.4 million going to hurt them this year when they have Lisin, Upshall and Yandle to resign or next year when it's Mueller and Hanzal (forgive me if any of these guys have already signed an extension)?

It will be interesting to see.

Old
04-12-2009, 03:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Going a bit OT, but still somewhat pertaining to Kessel, might the Bruins look to dump some salary to get into position to protect themselves from offer sheets to Kessel and Krejci? Might they look to move a guy like Sturm, who they've proven they can win without, but probably doesn't have a whole lot of actual trade value, at this point? If he didn't cost anything of significant value, I could see a team with a ton of cap room, like Phoenix, possibly rolling the dice on him.

Old
04-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Going a bit OT, but still somewhat pertaining to Kessel, might the Bruins look to dump some salary to get into position to protect themselves from offer sheets to Kessel and Krejci? Might they look to move a guy like Sturm, who they've proven they can win without, but probably doesn't have a whole lot of actual trade value, at this point? If he didn't cost anything of significant value, I could see a team with a ton of cap room, like Phoenix, possibly rolling the dice on him.
Yes I could definitely see them having interest in moving Sturm or Kobasew. It's too bad, Marco (in very limited time) was off to a great start this year, and ideally having him would mean that we'd have 3 excellent scoring lines, but $ is going to be scarce and he is a good enough player with a not too bad contract.

Old
04-12-2009, 05:29 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Yes I could definitely see them having interest in moving Sturm or Kobasew. It's too bad, Marco (in very limited time) was off to a great start this year, and ideally having him would mean that we'd have 3 excellent scoring lines, but $ is going to be scarce and he is a good enough player with a not too bad contract.
What do you think Sturm is worth, realistically, in this market, with his cap hit, coming off of this season? Probably less than Kobasew, right? So which player would it make more sense to move? The one with the higher cap hit, or the one with the higher trade value? That is, assuming Kobasew actually has higher value. I'm not sure any GMs are going to risk giving up a lot, in terms of assets, for Sturm. He's garanteed seven million dollars, is thirty years old, is coming off of a season in which he'll have missed sixty three games, and has never reached the sixty point mark in his career.

Old
04-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
What do you think Sturm is worth, realistically, in this market, with his cap hit, coming off of this season? Probably less than Kobasew, right? So which player would it make more sense to move? The one with the higher cap hit, or the one with the higher trade value? That is, assuming Kobasew actually has higher value. I'm not sure any GMs are going to risk giving up a lot, in terms of assets, for Sturm. He's garanteed seven million dollars, is thirty years old, is coming off of a season in which he'll have missed sixty three games, and has never reached the sixty point mark in his career.
Honestly I'd rather give up Kobasew. Kobasew is a guy who has good speed and is ok defensively, but he's essentially a 3rd liner who scores better than average for a 3rd liner.

Sturm is a much better offensive threat and is as good defensively (w/ possibly a little less of a physical side). He is our best offensive LW, while Kobasew is our 3rd best offensive RW. If PJ is gone next year I'd say Sturm is our best defensive LW and Kobasew is probably our best defensive RW. Both kill penalties though neither are especially great at it.

If the cap situation forces them to take less than equal value, then I guess that's what they have to do. A decent bottom 6 grinder and a d prospect (not a blue chipper) might do it I guess.

Old
04-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
I think he is a future captain for the bruins, and perhaps even the states... A really talented player who can keep his head clear of idiotic stuff even when all his teammates are going at it.
God I hope he isn't a future captain of the team. Lucic or Bergeron has a way better chance.

Kessel just isn't a guy who screams leadership.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Soundwave

Bruins would move Bergeron before they trade Kessel or Krejeci.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:31 PM
mstad101

keep kessel
how much for Krecji?

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote