HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scary Stat about +/-

Old
04-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Scary Stat about +/-

Not ONE player on this team has a +/- on the road of 1 or higher. Our best road player is a 0...

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 03:01 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Most important stat, 1st thing I look at when I check a player out. All about the +/-

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
All thier +/- should be poor with all the SH goals we have given up. 11 now on the season?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
Most important stat, 1st thing I look at when I check a player out. All about the +/-
Are you serious....most important stat? Do you remember two seasons ago when Malik was second in the NHL in +/- and he was awful for us the whole year. +/- is an important stat but can be incredibly misleading....if you look at players as a whole on an entire team it can be used but going player by player generally is not that smart. And also there is no way this stat is more important than goals, assists and points

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:24 PM
The Thomas J.*

It's a nice stat, but very misleading, Betts is a -1 last I checked, & he has been one of our best forwards all year.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Fletch

the +/- isn't entirely misleading, Thomas J...Betts' -1 is remarkable considering he's on a line with a guy like Orr and none of them score much. The best you can really hope for is they come out about even because they don't score enough to get a plus. And to the extent Betts is out there against top lines, which he has been on occasion, it's remarkable he isn't -10.

But in general, taken by itself, it's the most meaningless stat in hockey. If you had a line, combined with two defensemen, and showed me the +/- stat, that would show me something. If you gave me a team's +/- stat, that too would show me something.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:01 PM
mullichicken25

another scary stat about +/-

some people actually think that this is true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post

I'm pretty sure that your post was being sarcastic, but either way, people really think this and its laughable

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:08 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the +/- isn't entirely misleading, Thomas J...Betts' -1 is remarkable considering he's on a line with a guy like Orr and none of them score much. The best you can really hope for is they come out about even because they don't score enough to get a plus. And to the extent Betts is out there against top lines, which he has been on occasion, it's remarkable he isn't -10.

But in general, taken by itself, it's the most meaningless stat in hockey. If you had a line, combined with two defensemen, and showed me the +/- stat, that would show me something. If you gave me a team's +/- stat, that too would show me something.
What makes Betts stat look even better is that his +/- is better than most of the teams top scorers.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:31 AM
DontStepanMe

Here is another weird thing about +/-

Look at our dmen (for the entire season)

Morris +2
Mara +1
Sauer -1
Potter -1
Reitz -4
Kalinen -7
Redden -7
Roszival -9
Staal -9
Girardi -16

How the **** does Girardi get a -16. All the other top 4 dmen are right around one another it +/- which is expected. Mara and Morris are together right where expected.

Girardi is off the freakin map. Thats -7 more than any other dman on the team. To me this shows that he is playing in over his head. he is not a top 4 dman, and should actually be on the bottom two. I am not sayin that he is our worst b/c he normally plays against top lines, but out of our top 4 he is by far the worst, and probably shouldn't be up there. And you can't use the well he is covering up for other dmens bad plays b/c all the other dman should have a +/- around the same as him or worse. There is nobody close to him. In fact Girardi has the worst +/- than any player on the team. If people want to point to a weak link on defense it is Girardi and not Redden or Rosy.

In fact Marc Staal has been a -5 since the TD This is all while being teamed up w/ Guess who? Dan Girardi. Girardi has been a -3.

Rosy has been a +4. Redden a +4. Mara and Morris each a +2.

so at the time of the TD it looked like this for our top 4 dmen.

Staal -4
Redden - 11
Rosy -13
Girardi -13

Since Staal and Girardi have been consistently paired together, those two let up the most goals. Redden and Rosy have the best +/-. and our third pairing of Mara and Morris are doing nicely w/ a +2.

Now all of our top 4 play about equal TOI and both play consistently against top lines (to a point where TOI against top lines is probably negligable). So why is Staal and Girardi so much worse than Redden and Rosy in giving up goals. I don't believe that Staal is the problem here. I honstely believe it is Girardi. He makes alot of boneheaded passes, pinches at the wrong times consistently, and gets beat one on ones alot. I don't know what all the love for him on the boards is all about. But since his salary isn't as high as Rosy or Redden he isn't under the same scrutiny. The #'s show that when people play w/ him their #'s suffer and not the other way around.

Last edited by DontStepanMe: 04-08-2009 at 10:15 AM.
DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
The team had an anemic offense for most of the season and still isn't an offensive powerhouse. Most everyone on this team is a minus and many are very minus because when thy won, it was by small margins and when they lost the margins were greater. Say what you will about the +/- stat when the whole team isn't in the plus and it's a team who has struggled all season, it gives credibility to it's importance.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
clmetsfan

Home record: 25-11-4
Road record: 16-19-5

Do we really need individual players' +/- to tell us that we're a crappy road team?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:06 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Home record: 25-11-4
Road record: 16-19-5

Do we really need individual players' +/- to tell us that we're a crappy road team?
well it does actually help distinguish where problems (or problem players are). Especially when you look through lines. The entire team might have negatives, but there are some real bad abberrations.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote