HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury, Gomez, Naslund, Redden Must Go

Old
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Anyone notice Drury has been spending more time on his bum than on his feet lately? He makes Petr Prucha look strong on his skates.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 08:53 PM
nyrfan519

Thank you so much for starting a thread about a completely new topic!!!!

Seriously, we've been talking about these players underachieving the whole year. There are no more revelations to be made. It is what it is and we just have to hope that the Rangers, for the rest of this season at least, can make the best out of what they've got.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:57 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Its pretty scary that Ryan Callahan, Sean Avery and Freddie Sjostrum are the best forwards on the Rangers right now.

04-05-2009, 01:59 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Callahan has blossomed directly BECAUSE of Gomez. Ya know, you normally say some things I agree with, but your personal vendetta against Gomez is ignorant and childish.

Gomez is a playmaker, and theres nobody on this team that can finish plays. Hows that his fault again?

Ya know Gomez ihas some playmaker skills, but only with the right linemates and to be fair... he's struggled with EVERY line mate he's had in NY. And two of them are among the greatest finishers to ever play the game.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Section311

I really do think that def Redden and Naslund are gone this summer. Redden is probably going to have to be put in the minors. Naslund will have one year left at 4mil is probably tradeable and if not they just put him on waivers and if no one picks him up, then he will join redden.

Drury who has def the worst contract not only on the rangers but probably in the entire NHL isnt going anywhere. You could probably get him to waive his NTC but in all honestly who is taking him. Maybe the Avalanche if Sakic doesnt come back?

Gomez I think they will keep and try to get a legit scoring winger for him.

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Vitto79

Realistically looking at it Naslund is the only one that would be able to be moved no problem. 4 million is not crazy for him and it's only one more year

Redden is going no where and good luck moving Gomez and Drury unless they take another ginorm contract back

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Vitto79

Also their is no chance in freaking Hell Redden goes to the minors. They have to live with that contract folks plain and simple.....just pray some kids can come up and do well

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Also their is no chance in freaking Hell Redden goes to the minors. They have to live with that contract folks plain and simple.....just pray some kids can come up and do well
Why don't you think redden won't go to the minors....honestly I feel thats the only place for him to go unless they buy him out. But why buy him out and have 3.25mil on your cap for ten years when they can just bury him in the minors and not have any cap charge

Old
04-05-2009, 10:44 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Realistically looking at it Naslund is the only one that would be able to be moved no problem. 4 million is not crazy for him and it's only one more year
Realistically, who is going to give up anything more than a bag of used practice pucks for an over 35 winger who has obviously lost a step and is a shadow of his former self at this stage of his career?

We won't even mention the constantly overlooked fact he has the full NMC which precludes him from being moved as easily as everyone seems to think.

One more year and he's off to play in Elitserien or whatever league over the hill Swedes play in when they get back to the old country after their NHL careers are over.

Last edited by OrbitalDynamics: 04-05-2009 at 10:50 AM.
OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:46 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
Why don't you think redden won't go to the minors....honestly I feel thats the only place for him to go unless they buy him out. But why buy him out and have 3.25mil on your cap for ten years when they can just bury him in the minors and not have any cap charge
Because there is a salary cap of 10 million dollars in the AHL.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:51 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
I believe it would be 2.046 million.

$31 million left * .66 =20.46

20.46/10 = $2.046 million

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I believe it would be 2.046 million.

$31 million left * .66 =20.46

20.46/10 = $2.046 million
Yea your right. My bad I was doing the numbers for the whole contract and forgot to take this year off

Old
04-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Because there is a salary cap of 10 million dollars in the AHL.
Not saying your wrong at all.....but are you 100% sure of that

Old
04-05-2009, 11:11 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I used to get frustrated with Sting's vendetta against Gomez, but I have pretty much come to the point where I have the exact same feelings. At least 5 times yesterday (most notably on the 4 on 3 PP) he made either: A) a stupid pass to a spot where the defender was obviously going to stop it; B) a drop pass right past the blueline where the other player didn't really have any options but to try to shoot it into a big crowd of people; C) THAT ****ING PIECE OF **** SHOT OF HIS THAT NEVER EVEN REMOTELY CHALLENGES A GOALIE TO MAKE A ****ING SAVE. HONESTLY, I COULD PROBABLY STOP MOST OF HIS ****ING SHOTS.

I think the order players have to go is:

Redden, Gomez, Naslund

Drury can't be moved.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Ya know Gomez ihas some playmaker skills, but only with the right linemates and to be fair... he's struggled with EVERY line mate he's had in NY. And two of them are among the greatest finishers to ever play the game.
If you're referring to Jagr and Shanahan, that didnt work out because both of those players lack speed. Gomez is at his best when he can generate chances off the rush after flying through the neutral zone. Far too often, Gomez enters the offensive zone and has NOBODY with him, or noone in a position to make a play, and people confuse that with bad decision making on Gomez's part when in actuality the issue is having nobody to dish the puck off to.

Put Kovalchuk, Hossa, or (a healthy) Gaborik with Gomez and you'd have one of the most dominant combinations in the NHL.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:37 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Jagr and Gomez play completely different games. Shanahan was over the hill. He could still put the puck in the net, but he was too slow to work with Gomez. I still think if you get a speedy scoring winger that plays a similar game to Gomez (ala Gionta), he could be really useful if he's playing under 20 minutes a night.

Drury though, on the other hand, is a different story. I think I've lost all hope of him excelling in NY as a captain of the team. NY fans want a leader who is either vocal or has top end talent that he can lead by example with. Drury is neither of these. I'm not sure how much longer NY fans with be able to live with his inconsistency

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Jagr and Gomez play completely different games. Shanahan was over the hill. He could still put the puck in the net, but he was too slow to work with Gomez. I still think if you get a speedy scoring winger that plays a similar game to Gomez (ala Gionta), he could be really useful if he's playing under 20 minutes a night.

Drury though, on the other hand, is a different story. I think I've lost all hope of him excelling in NY as a captain of the team. NY fans want a leader who is either vocal or has top end talent that he can lead by example with. Drury is neither of these. I'm not sure how much longer NY fans with be able to live with his inconsistency
I agree to an extent. Gomez has the ability to be a part of something special if the right personnel is ever brought in on the wing

Drury? Not so much. However, Id take him on my team any day...just not when hes being depended on to produce like a top tier forward, and certainly not at 7 mil per season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Vinster

I could not agree with you more.

Gomez = a great pond hockey player who can skate around almost everyone on the ice then just choke-up the puck without making a play.

Redden = a traffic cone on skates. Could of had the same type of player for about $3.5M. He should be playing pick-up hockey somewhere.

Drury = an overpaid great 3rd line player. Just collecting the $$$

Naslund - just a total waste of a player. He is embarassing himself.

Our team (with a few exceptions) has no fight, no heart, no pride!!! They do not deserve to make the playoffs

Vinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
TrueBlue9

Tortorella clearly put the game in Gomez and Drurys hands last night and they could not deliver in the worst way. Its painful to watch two people who are supposed to be the leaders of a team struggle so terribly. The third period was a disgrace to the leaders of any team fighting for its life

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:55 PM
NYR Viper

Naslund and Rozsival should be gone this offseason. Next offseason I wouldnt be surprised to see Redden either bought out, traded or sent to the minors. This team needs cap space and Sather has ****ed himself over.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 02:58 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
I guess I'm the only one that see Redden as the weakest link!
You are not the only one.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 03:28 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the priority this offseason, other than signing our RFAs, should be to try and move 2 big contracts. It doesn't really matter which ones at this point, but I think either Drury or Gomez, and then either Redden or Rozsival. It's really not a matter of which ones we would rather get rid of, but which ones other teams will take.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Naslund, be he's only got one more year left, so he's not as big of a priority IMO. At worst we could buy him out and he'd cost 2 mil against the cap next year and 1 mil the year after.

If Vancouver doesn't resign the Sedins, they may be willing to trade for Drury or Gomez, especially if we don't ask for too much in return.

There were rumors about Dallas being interested in Rozy. Maybe we trade him there, or we waive Redden and Dallas picks him up on re-entry. Would be payback for taking Avery off their hands.

If we were able to get rid of half of Reddens salary, I think that would be the way to go. His cap hit for the next 5 years would be 3.25 million. That's a better option IMO than buying him out, if we can't outright trade him. If he were bought out this summer, the cap hits for the next 10 years would be:

Year 1: 566,667
Year 2: 2,066,667
Year 3: 2,066,667
Year 4: 3,566,667
Year 5: 3,566,667
Year 6: 2,066,667
Year 7: 2,066,667
Year 8: 2,066,667
Year 9: 2,066,667
Year 10: 2,066,667

Cap hits were calculated using formula listed here:

http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm

Basically, year 1 is lower because he is supposed to make 8 mil next year, and years 4 and 5 are higher because his salary for each of those years is only 5 mil.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 03:42 PM
PGHRanger

This thread could be a copy and paste that you could use every 3 years with the NYR's and their fans, just change the names of the top paid players.

So if we get rid of Gomez, Drury, Naslund and Redden, who's left? I'm not opposed to getting rid of all of them, but as others have pointed out, who do you think you'll get in return? Who wants these guys with the salaries they have? With very little talent on this team trades are going to be a joke and we've been the poster child for not using free agency to build a team.

Sadly, Drury and Gomez were brought here to lead a rebuilding phase and to offer leadership to our young players and start a new era in Rangers hockey. Beyond Dubinsky and Callahan, i don't see anything left to mentor.

If you want value and some top line forwards, i think you need to let go of something of value. You'll have to give up the best asset we have, Stahl. I'd hate to lose him but he's the only thing we have that will get us some top notch young scoring (might be able to unload Drury or Gomez in a package). Plus, with all the talented D kids waiting in the wings maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing.

PGHRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Drury can't be moved. He is here until his contract expires, so there is no sense in debating where he can and can't go.

I'd like to see a little more of Gomez before I'm convinced moving him will actually improve this club. He's averaging close to a PPG under Torts, and is skating a lot better than he was earlier in the season.

Redden+Naslund are the two contracts I would love to move. We can replace the both of them by promoting from within, without skipping a beat. Both of these players lack the passion to play under Torts.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHRanger View Post
This thread could be a copy and paste that you could use every 3 years with the NYR's and their fans, just change the names of the top paid players.

So if we get rid of Gomez, Drury, Naslund and Redden, who's left? I'm not opposed to getting rid of all of them, but as others have pointed out, who do you think you'll get in return? Who wants these guys with the salaries they have? With very little talent on this team trades are going to be a joke and we've been the poster child for not using free agency to build a team.

Sadly, Drury and Gomez were brought here to lead a rebuilding phase and to offer leadership to our young players and start a new era in Rangers hockey. Beyond Dubinsky and Callahan, i don't see anything left to mentor.

If you want value and some top line forwards, i think you need to let go of something of value. You'll have to give up the best asset we have, Stahl. I'd hate to lose him but he's the only thing we have that will get us some top notch young scoring (might be able to unload Drury or Gomez in a package). Plus, with all the talented D kids waiting in the wings maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing.
Who the hell is Stahl, and when did we acquire him.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote