HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

This Gainey Guy Can Coach

Old
04-04-2009, 09:55 PM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Like I said I want to see how team responds over next 4-5 games. Against tougher opponents. Leafs, Isles, Thrashers are teams we should be crushing anyway. Not the case in next few games
Well, you could say Ottawa is one of those teams and they just beat Philadelphia (a team above the Habs in the standings). A win against ANY team is a good win. We play that same Ottawa team Monday (The team who beat 4th place Philly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveshutt View Post
I don't remember seeing them doing the little things right the way they are now under Carbo.

I think Gainey has done a great job refocusing them and if he can continue to give them shelter from the heinous media there's no reason this team can't live up to their potential.
Even in wins the team looked terrible under Carbonneau and had no structure.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-04-2009 at 10:49 PM.
LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
JohnnyB11

Nice to see such a huge decrease in posts of the 'Gainey sucks' and 'Fire Gainey' variety. I knew it was bound to happen once the Habs started winning, and Habs fans started to see more clearly, but still, it's nice to see.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Nice to see such a huge decrease in posts of the 'Gainey sucks' and 'Fire Gainey' variety. I knew it was bound to happen once the Habs started winning, and Habs fans started to see more clearly, but still, it's nice to see.
Even ******** Pierre Mcguire is on the Gainey bandwagon now

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I think we're overrating the first line's success. I know it's Bob that put them together but without their offensive production I wouldn't have bet the Habs would have suddenly discovered work eithic. I think our talent his saving our butts once again. It won't work like that in the series against teams that have both work ethic and talent like The Flyers, Caps, Pens.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 02:56 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Gainey tried Tanger/Saku/Kovy and stuck with and Carbo didn't

Price is being talked to and even invited directly to Gainey's home for supper...Carbo didn't converse with players

Gainey put players together that played well together and stayed with it MArkov/Komisarek and kept Kostopolous on the 3rd and 4th units...unlike Carbo

Carbo was the issue
But but but..Carbo's door was always open..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 02:56 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I think we're overrating the first line's success. I know it's Bob that put them together but without their offensive production I wouldn't have bet the Habs would have suddenly discovered work eithic. I think our talent his saving our butts once again. It won't work like that in the series against teams that have both work ethic and talent like The Flyers, Caps, Pens.
Overrating??..Don't they have like 35ish pts in 6games or something?

And what are you talking about?..Every single line except the ''2nd'' one, is playing really well. You can't dominate teams regularly like we have the past games if you don't both have talent and strong work ethic.
Early this season we wondered how we were winning games. That's where the talent saved us. These past 6Games, we've dominated the opponents. If you don't see a difference, then read a Hockey 101 book.

I agree that we shouldn't quite say that it's all good, we're as good as it gets. We still need a stronger 2nd line.
But I think your clueless if you think our work ethic is bad. If anything it looks great right now. Pretty much all our players seem to work hard.

Old
04-05-2009, 04:22 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Overrating??..Don't they have like 35ish pts in 6games or something?

And what are you talking about?..Every single line except the ''2nd'' one, is playing really well. You can't dominate teams regularly like we have the past games if you don't both have talent and strong work ethic.
Early this season we wondered how we were winning games. That's where the talent saved us. These past 6Games, we've dominated the opponents. If you don't see a difference, then read a Hockey 101 book.

I agree that we shouldn't quite say that it's all good, we're as good as it gets. We still need a stronger 2nd line.
But I think your clueless if you think our work ethic is bad. If anything it looks great right now. Pretty much all our players seem to work hard.
But would the work ethic be this good if the first line wasn't playing this good? That's what i'm saying. Before they got going only the Kosto line was useful and working hard and well. And it remain to be seen if Tanguay, Kovy and Saku will have the killer instinct in the playoffs. The Kovy-Plek-Andrei were great during the season last year but were too soft to step up during the playoffs. As far as I know Bob did not fix the problem of adding size, grit and character on the first two lines last summer and I could the same problem occuring yet again.

Before the top line became a genuine top line, the Leafs' work ethic humilated the Habs' as far as work ethic and so forth when we played them this year. Like I said talent is saving us once again. I wouldn't say Bob put on a draticaly better system than Carbo, it's just that the stars started playing like stars.

BTW, I meant "underrating".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 07:37 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
I'm pretty sure everybody is waiting to see that as well.

But that's the thing, we weren't crushing those teams. In the last two or three months, those teams gave us a lot of trouble at best.

Even if we haven't been facing great teams, the improvement is still obvious.
Difference is, those teams are eleminated already, they could'nt careless now..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
The Leafs cared enough to score 5 goals when down 6-0 2 days ago, the Thrashers cared enough to win like, 10 of their last 13 if I'm not mistaken. Those teams are eliminated, but they play spoilers and it would be underestimating pro athletes' pride if you think they'll just brandish the white flag and sit on their butt because they won't make the playoffs.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:25 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Yeah, cause pro athletes love to lose. I'm sure after the Habs Leafs game everyone in the Toronto dressing room was giving each other high fives for losing by another wide margin at home, and congratulating each other on getting closer to winning the lottery for Tavares.

WTH are posters on around here - they make ZERO sense.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:27 AM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
But would the work ethic be this good if the first line wasn't playing this good? That's what i'm saying.

I wouldn't say Bob put on a draticaly better system than Carbo, it's just that the stars started playing like stars.

The first line has been fantastic, a blast to watch for us fans. What passing!!! But it isn't just about the first line. Lapierrre and his wingers are doing great work. I have really enjoyed the Metropolit line these past two games (notice they don't get the same amount of ice time as when Carbo was here).

The D pairings have been left the same and the guys have responded well. Shots against are down drastically. The puck is getting out of our zone so much faster.

Even the goaltending has seemed sharper and in Halak's case there was not much room for improvement but did you notice the excellant rebound control he has shown this week?

I think the players have been given clear instructions as to what is expected of them, their roles seem more defined. I really like the way that Gainey manages the ice time of his lines, something that Carbo struggled with.

It's not just the stars, it would appear to be the whole team with maybe one or two exceptions. So much better than a month ago.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Shabutie

I think the turning point was the 1 on 1 player - Gainey talks. Helped last year and it's helping this year. His communication skills off ice seem to be paying off.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I think the turning point was the 1 on 1 player - Gainey talks. Helped last year and it's helping this year. His communication skills off ice seem to be paying off.
Yes,exactly. Bob was criticized for this move by a lot of fans (lyk they don't need to practice!!11!), but it paid off immensely.

Old
04-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Double XX L

Not even to mention the fact that Laraque looks like a beast lately under Gainey's tutalege.

I am so proud of BGL these last 2 games He has looked like someone shat in his cornflakes the past 2... Harrison is the biggest dumbass of all lol I was watching the game, when Harrison went at him, I turned to wifey and said 'watch watch! Georges is going to hurt someone!'

Next, Georges landed the puch, and you see Harrison's head trying to escape his stupid body, he was hurt & more importantly, didnt want anymore of BGL

Double XX L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:44 AM
x-bob

Quote:
I would agree with this if the rest of our team was still playing under their potential but to tell the truth, there are only 2 players not showing up: Plekanec and A. Kostitisyn.

Everyone else is playing their role and you can't deny that Metropolit, Dandenault, Lapierre and Latendresse are playing some of their best hockey.

x-bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:46 AM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Like I said I want to see how team responds over next 4-5 games. Against tougher opponents. Leafs, Isles, Thrashers are teams we should be crushing anyway. Not the case in next few games
I guess Chicago is a bottom feeder?

Nothing to wet our pants about but all the same the team is playing much better than when they were coached by Carbo.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:01 AM
JrHockeyFan

I keep reading that some guys think work ethic was the issue before. Were there some problems like that? Sure. But for the most part I saw a team that looked confused. There was no harmony. It was joyless. Every one of our top players was getting lambasted for everything

It is difficult to look like you are playing hard when you aren't playing as a team. What you see is a few guys who play the checking type game doing their thing because it is very straight-forward for them. Then everybody says, "see that guy is working hard".

Scoring goals and defending is different. You can't make it happen by yourself. If the unit isn't working in synch it looks really bad and gets mistaken for lack of effort. Disorganization often gets mislabeled that way.

Ever get a new job and not have a clue what to do? Do you think you looked like you were working hard? Same thing

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I keep reading that some guys think work ethic was the issue before. Were there some problems like that? Sure. But for the most part I saw a team that looked confused. There was no harmony. It was joyless. Every one of our top players was getting lambasted for everything

It is difficult to look like you are playing hard when you aren't playing as a team. What you see is a few guys who play the checking type game doing their thing because it is very straight-forward for them. Then everybody says, "see that guy is working hard".

Scoring goals and defending is different. You can't make it happen by yourself. If the unit isn't working in synch it looks really bad and gets mistaken for lack of effort. Disorganization often gets mislabeled that way.

Ever get a new job and not have a clue what to do? Do you think you looked like you were working hard? Same thing
I was a bit exasperated when everyone was saying this team didn't care and wasn't putting any effort. Since the beginning of the year, this team has always lacked COHESION. Fortunately, we look like we're headed the good way.

Old
04-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
Quote:

This is such a good point. I started last week without taking a break before my previous job and I felt like a complete slug by the end of the week for doing almost nothing!

Last edited by Ncrdrg: 04-05-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

Quote:

Very good post JrHockeyFan.

This is also why Kovalev looks like a slacker sometimes. The truth is that he does care most of the time, it's just that his plays are not always working, most of his plays are "high risk" after all. Kovalev would be taking more calculated risks and would look like he cared more if he had a better hockey sense, but it's not the case and it has nothing to do with his work ethic.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:41 AM
JV

I'm a lot more comfortable with Gainey's attire. Carbo wore out his welcome when he trotted out the electric lime green tie on the mauve shirt. That's when he lost the (living) room.

Gainey went old school against the Hawks; looking like a g-man in dark suit, white shirt and comparatively narrow tie, solid and dark.

It's all about gravitas....

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:47 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
im jacked to play boston.
Not in the first round, I hope. It would mean that the Habs would not finish better than 8th.

Gainey's Habs are playing their best hockey of the whole season. At the right time too.

Kudos to Gainey to have stop the boat and redirect it before hitting the iceberg.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Team doing well....but we haven't really played a good team since the turn around. I'll make my decision at season's end on Gainey
sorry to be so blunt...but have you heard of the blackhawks this season lol

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
But would the work ethic be this good if the first line wasn't playing this good? That's what i'm saying. Before they got going only the Kosto line was useful and working hard and well. And it remain to be seen if Tanguay, Kovy and Saku will have the killer instinct in the playoffs. The Kovy-Plek-Andrei were great during the season last year but were too soft to step up during the playoffs. As far as I know Bob did not fix the problem of adding size, grit and character on the first two lines last summer and I could the same problem occuring yet again.

Before the top line became a genuine top line, the Leafs' work ethic humilated the Habs' as far as work ethic and so forth when we played them this year. Like I said talent is saving us once again. I wouldn't say Bob put on a draticaly better system than Carbo, it's just that the stars started playing like stars.

BTW, I meant "underrating".
Well, I can say the same for any team buddy. Would any team be as good as they are now if their TOP line wasn't as effective??..Of course not, you're just stating the obvious but that's beyond the point anyways.
Fact is, our top line is clicking so let's be happy and stop being negative. Obviously if they stop producing we'll be in trouble.

The Plek/Kost/Kovy line last year was composed of two quite inexperienced players. This year is not quite the same as you have Koivu who's always been a beast come PO time and Tanguay has won a cup. They will be well covered so we'll need some support from our other lines and outside the ''2nd'', all of them are playing really well.

I really don't care if the Leafs humiliated us during the season. It doesn't matter seeing as we're pulling together when it counts most.
Detroit got beaten 8 something twice I think, does this mean their work ethic in the PO will suck?..No.

Stop being negative, we're playing really well right now. Our top line has produced 34pts in 6GP, let's be happy and hope it lasts.

Also, It's a big myth that we lacked ''grit'' last year in the PO. I'm so fed up of hearing this BS. We lost mainly because Price couldn't stop a shot 50yards away.
Boston were playing like they have all year this season, and can be considered one of the grittiest teams, yet we won.
Against Philly, if Price played as well as Biron we probably would have swept them.

Old
04-05-2009, 12:07 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveshutt View Post
I don't remember seeing them doing the little things right the way they are now under Carbo.

I think Gainey has done a great job refocusing them and if he can continue to give them shelter from the heinous media there's no reason this team can't live up to their potential.
Do you think BG could stay on as coach? Most of the GM stuff is done in the offseason? I would like to see this, any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I think BG is able to hold them more accountable...where he is the GM also, it's about performance, and performance is about money, money has to do with contracts, and their length...it's all relatvie, but I don't think BG behind closed doors will take any crap from the players...and he just seems to communicate better...the players seem confident, and happy once again...

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-06-2009 at 04:37 AM.
BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote