HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey, Don't Resign Kovy !!

Old
04-04-2009, 11:13 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

vCash: 500
I think all three will be resigned. All for around the same money, Koivu might take a pay cut, money we can put towards Komisarek. If Schneider doesn't retire after we win the cup then he'll be back with us hopefully. Boullion, Dandenault, Brisebois, Lang, Henry, and Denis OUT. Kostopoulos...... Jury is still out.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:13 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotrox View Post
You can't judge a season until it's over, and Kovy's producing. He's only 4 points behind Vinny, and outscoring many top forwards around the league.
Unless I say he's great of course...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Bialo Czerwoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Why always blame the others ?
Why always blame Kovalev? Im not always blaming a single player for all of the problems like some.

Bialo Czerwoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:16 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bialo Czerwoni View Post
Why always blame Kovalev?
I'm sorry, I thought the topic was on Kovalev...

my bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bialo Czerwoni View Post
Plekanec and Kostitsyn are having a heck of a season too huh. Kostitsyn got benched tonight, I guess thats Kovalevs fault too? Plekanec lost his spot on the power play, Kovalevs fault also?
Nope, nothing's Kovy's fault... we know it.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-06-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old
04-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:
Yeah! lets compare him to Kostopoulos, Latendresse, Stewart, Higgins... huh, maybe Tanguay who missed almost two months too ?

I get your point though, he was leading in points so he was having a great season!
The point is that many of the top guys like Tanguay were out, which makes it more difficult to score. Teams were able to key on Kovy more, and the less talented players were not as likely to capitalize on Kovy's setups.

To me it's more impressive to be the leading scoring forward at 60 points than to be the 6th leading scoring on a stacked team with about 70 points.

Kovy can take the heat (so can Koivu) that few players can.

When the playoffs start, our opponent will key on him as usual and Kovy will produce anyway, as usual (and people will complain about his play, as usual).

Johnny Hotrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Bialo Czerwoni

Quote:
Nope, nothing's Kovy's fault... we know it.
Good were on the same page then ...

Bialo Czerwoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:20 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Ths point is that many of the top guys like Tanguay were out, which makes it more difficult to score. Teams were able to key on Kovy more, and the less talented players were not as likely to capitalize on Kovy's setups.

To me it's more impressive to be the leading scoring forward at 60 points than to be the 6th leading scoring on a stacked team with about 70 points.

Kovy can take the heat (so can Koivu) that few players can.

When the playoffs start, our opponent will key on him as usual and Kovy will produce anyway, as usual (and people will complain about his play, as usual).
cause we both know it was definitely not Kovy playing bad right ? in fact, Kovy NEVER plays badly...

Old
04-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:
cause we both know it was definitely not Kovy playing bad right ? in fact, Kovy NEVER plays badly...
That's where the leading scoring forward point comes in. Every player has bad games. It's just that Kovy had considerably more points than his linemates, which would suggest that he was more productive relative to those players.

Fact remains that at 4.5 mil per season, Kovy has earned his keep.

He's playing great and the team is winning. if this team makes the playoffs (looking good), Kovy is a BIG reason why. he's been durable and he's been productive.

Old
04-04-2009, 11:28 PM
malton

kovalev shows up when it matters. his playoff performances are all the proof anybody should need.

malton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by malton View Post
kovalev shows up when it matters. his playoff performances are all the proof anybody should need.
So true. People act like he hasn't done it before. He's proven, he's a big game performer.

Old
04-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
That's bullcrap and that's what gets me! Even some great Kovy fans admitted that his effort wasn't where it is now, where it should be, and that had he given the effort he gave last year, he would have had a great season! Enough with the excuses already!

Kovalev is proving everyone right, including those who dislike him as we've been saying all along that he has the skills set to succeed, to do more. We said that two years ago (47 points) and he proved us right last year. For the first 50 odd games of the season, we said that he could give more and look at him proving us right again!

So cut the crap about his linesmates. He played with Plekanec and Kostitsyn last year when HE wanted to play!
I said it before in the other Kovy thread, but I'll say it again. When Kovalev is confident with his line mates, his line works well. This year he seemed to lose confidence in Pleks and Kostitsyn and tried to do too much. Which lead to countless turnovers and sloppy play from that line.

IMO he has confidence in Koivu and Tanguay that he doesn't have to carry the whole line. I've seen a big difference in his game now, just like I saw last season. He's distributing the puck well, and he's not forcing his shots like he was earlier in the year. He just looks much more relaxed than I've seen him all year.

For what he brings to the team at his salary. I'd personally re-sign him.

04-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:
Never said Kovy is immune to a bad game. Every player has poor games. I mentioned that Kovy's previous linemates are less talented than Koivu and Tanguay. That's not too extreme of an opinion (especially at this point in Pleks and AKost's careers).

Old
04-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Pascal

RE-SIGN

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
That's where the leading scoring forward point comes in. Every player has bad games. It's just that Kovy had considerably more points than his linemates, which would suggest that he was more productive relative to those players.

He's playing great and the team is winning. if this team makes the playoffs (looking good), Kovy is a BIG reason why. he's been durable and he's been productive.
Points per game leaders on our team are:

Tanguay: 0.87
Kovalev: 0.85
Markov: 0.82
Koivu: 0.79
Lang: 0.78

Then, up until tonight's game, Kostitsyn was leading our team in goals. People blame Plekanec for his poor season, yet he's only 4 goals from Kovalev who's had a great 10-15 game stretch!

In other words, I'm glad that Kovalev finally picked up his socks but I'm sick and tired of the roller coaster effort with more downs than ups. When considering his age, here's hoping that Gainey doesn't fall in the trap and re-sign him (although I do think he will) as we'll all be swearing at him again next season!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:

Then, up until tonight's game, Kostitsyn was leading our team in goals. People blame Plekanec for his poor season, yet he's only 4 goals from Kovalev who's had a great 10-15 game stretch!

In other words, I'm glad that Kovalev finally picked up his socks but I'm sick and tired of the roller coaster effort with more downs than ups. When considering his age, here's hoping that Gainey doesn't fall in the trap and re-sign him (although I do think he will) as we'll all be swearing at him again next season!
This production pretty much mirrors Vinny's career PPG output. You're proving our point. Kovy's been worth the money.

Also, Tanguay, Koivu and Markov all make over 5mil. Kovy has similar production (while being more durable than Koivu and tanguay) yet he earns less.

Old
04-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Erythro73

OH no. Oh no.

The problem was not shared by Kovalev and his previous linemates. You have to debate which group was the problem for the ****** season we had. It's either Kovalev's fault for losing confidence in his linemates or Plek and A. Kost. who are to ****** to be consistent linemates. They can't share the blame. It's always Kovy's fault or the other's fault. Like that punk, Carbo, who didn't like Kovy and who Kovy didn't like, as per ****** media who predicted some arrestation.

What I saw, is this very scenario : Kovalev was GOOD at the beginning. Then he played VERY POORLY, which seemed like lack of heart and bad leadership, which Bob Gainey thought was some psychological problem in his play, BG then gave him two games so he can rest and find himself again, Kovy came back, performed WELL, and with his new line, he is STELLAR.

He will finish with 65 points approximately, and I like that actually. What were you expecting from him? I'm glad with 65 points; I would have prefer a more consistent season, SURE, but he is showing up right we need him the most.

That was the season so far. I think it's pretty safe to assume we can sign him, have a good production next year (50-60 pts) if we give him good linemates.

BUT FIRST, let's wait for the most important thing, which will decide his contract. Let's see what he'll do come playoffs time.

Erythro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:05 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
RE-SIGN
should of

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

You're sick and tired? Throw up and you'll feel better in the morning. Right now you sound irrational when you take such an astigmatic view of one of the team's most important players.,

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:32 AM
m00ks

How fans can't put their ego and hatred aside and just be happy Kovalev's leading this team along with Saks and Tangs towards a playoff spot is beyond me. The team's doing well largely due to his play.

For all those who want him gone, I hope you all realize the powerplay goes with him.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
traditionnal goldfish memory from habs fans
Seriously, tell me.

If Kovalev played with Koivu and Tanguay all season, tell me how many points would Kovalev have at this point.

Do you think he plays better because he has with better teammates?

Thats the reality with Kovalev.

Just askin'.

Quote:

Dont put 85% of us with you.

He had a great stretch because he's put in a position where he can be at his best. Thats the reason.

And I dont think Plekanec gets criticized that here despite having a terrible season. He had a good stretch aswell and that was after his suspension. After that, he was invisible. He is a non-factor since Kovalev was placed on the first line with Koivu and Tanguay and YOU were the one that put ALL the blame on Kovalev for Pleky's poor play.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-05-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:04 AM
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
Kovalev has 24 points in 17 games since being sent home by Gainey!

KLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:24 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
That's bullcrap and that's what gets me! Even some great Kovy fans admitted that his effort wasn't where it is now, where it should be, and that had he given the effort he gave last year, he would have had a great season! Enough with the excuses already!

Kovalev is proving everyone right, including those who dislike him as we've been saying all along that he has the skills set to succeed, to do more. We said that two years ago (47 points) and he proved us right last year. For the first 50 odd games of the season, we said that he could give more and look at him proving us right again!

So cut the crap about his linesmates. He played with Plekanec and Kostitsyn last year when HE wanted to play!
Exactly. Heck if anything last year he made Plek and Andrei better than we thought they were. So he is a great talent. Just that he cannot do it a constant basis and that's transfered to the team. Guys like him are the inspiration and the fact that he acts that way give a bad example of inconsistancy. That you don't have to work hard "because the rewards will come eventualy".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:26 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Kovy producing more than 3rd liners... surprising huh ?

Old
04-05-2009, 01:29 AM
HabsPack

Kovy's the best thing Mtl has had to be a true star in yrs, yet there are still some Habs fans that will take every opportunity to cut him down, unbelievable.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:45 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
I admit he has been amazing in recent games but he looked like ass the other half of the season. I really don't know what to think anymore, in his defense his bad stretch was during the time that the whole team was struggling.
His bad stretch coincided with Komisarek's bad stretch, Koivu's bad stretch, Higgins' bad stretch, Gorges' bad stretch, and most importantly PRICE's bad stretch.

During that whole time, the one most clearly paid to lead the team, Guy Carbonneau, was panicked and telling folks he had no solutions.

I have no problem stating the obvious, which was that Kovalev had a stretch that was sub-par. I hope folks also agree with me that his CURRENT stretch is over-par and cannot be maintained either.

What I CAN'T stand is the refrain that Kovalev "wasn't trying". Only Kovalev, of course. Very few said Price wasn't trying, or Higgins, or Komisarek, or Koivu, or Gorges, or Carbonneau. The latter people had their critics, of course, but the criticism was NOT that they weren't trying.

Anyway, right now, our best forward is on a hot streak, let's enjoy it and hope it lasts until we clinch a playoff spot and then win our last game of the year.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote