HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gainey, Don't Resign Kovy !!

Old
04-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Stradale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
His bad stretch coincided with Komisarek's bad stretch, Koivu's bad stretch, Higgins' bad stretch, Gorges' bad stretch, and most importantly PRICE's bad stretch.

During that whole time, the one most clearly paid to lead the team, Guy Carbonneau, was panicked and telling folks he had no solutions.

I have no problem stating the obvious, which was that Kovalev had a stretch that was sub-par. I hope folks also agree with me that his CURRENT stretch is over-par and cannot be maintained either.

What I CAN'T stand is the refrain that Kovalev "wasn't trying". Only Kovalev, of course. Very few said Price wasn't trying, or Higgins, or Komisarek, or Koivu, or Gorges, or Carbonneau. The latter people had their critics, of course, but the criticism was NOT that they weren't trying.

Anyway, right now, our best forward is on a hot streak, let's enjoy it and hope it lasts until we clinch a playoff spot and then win our last game of the year.
And dont forget his linemates A. Kostitsyn and Plekanec.

And I agree with the rest of your post.

I hate it when I hear that he is lazy or heartless or dont care about team success or whatever.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:54 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Kovy producing more than 3rd liners... surprising huh ?
Kovy is also only four points behind the supposed saviour and super-leader Vincent Lecavalier, and has played three fewer games.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 04-05-2009 at 08:08 AM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 03:16 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPack View Post
Kovy's the best thing Mtl has had to be a true star in yrs, yet there are still some Habs fans that will take every opportunity to cut him down, unbelievable.
he may not reach the 70 pts mark for the 3rd time in 4 years since being a Habs...

what is really unbelievable is you calling him a true star...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 03:19 AM
mario66lemieux*

Quote:
he may not reach the 70 pts mark for the 3rd time in 4 years since being a Habs...

bah.. he had 65 in 69 in his first year, definately woulda hit 70 points had he not had knee surgery
and he will get very close to 70 points again this year

He's a very good player, just needs to play with the right players like he is now and he'd be good for 75 points in a full year. Bargain at 4.5 million.

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 03:19 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Kovy is also only four points behind the supposed saviour and super-leader Vincent Lecavalier, and has played two fewer games.
good for him.

Now try to picture Kovalev giving it all every game and tell me he'll still be behind...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:05 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
good for him.

Now try to picture Kovalev giving it all every game and tell me he'll still be behind...
Why focus this "effort" inquisition only on Kovalev?

Wouldn't it be AT LEAST as fair to question Lecavalier's effort? How can the guy score 108 points at age 27, and only 67 points at age 29? Obviously he can score 50 goals and 100 points "when he wants to".

Far more telling from an "effort" point of view is the defensive record. Kovalev is around the middle of the pack on the Habs in +/-, but Lecavalier is DEAD LAST on his own team.

A person who is TRULY not trying would be on the ice for many, many goals against. It's simply not true that Kovy has played without effort this whole season. He did have a tough time scoring at his own historical average rate during stretches, AS HAVE MANY OTHERS ON THE TEAM, but he was only bad defensively for about two and a half weeks, and then Gainey had him rest for a couple of days, after which his defensive record improved again.

The funk when one could say there was little defensive effort coincided with the period where the team played its worst games of the season, and the coach told everyone he had no solutions. Kovalev, who takes the success of the team VERY MUCH to heart, was clearly affected by the general depression, and good on Gainey to recognize it and to find a way to re-start his fifth-highest paid player.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:
Why focus this "effort" inquisition only on Kovalev?

".Wouldn't it be AT LEAST as fair to question Lecavalier's effort? How can the guy score 108 points at age 27, and only 67 points at age 29? Obviously he can score 50 goals and 100 points "when he wants to

Far more telling from an "effort" point of view is the defensive record. Kovalev is around the middle of the pack on the Habs in +/-, but Lecavalier is DEAD LAST on his own team.
A person who is TRULY not trying would be on the ice for many, many goals against. It's simply not true that Kovy has played without effort this whole season. He did have a tough time scoring at his own historical average rate during stretches, AS HAVE MANY OTHERS ON THE TEAM, but he was only bad defensively for about two and a half weeks, and then Gainey had him rest for a couple of days, after which his defensive record improved again.

The funk when one could say there was little defensive effort coincided with the period where the team played its worst games of the season, and the coach told everyone he had no solutions. Kovalev, who takes the success of the team VERY MUCH to heart, was clearly affected by the general depression, and good on Gainey to recognize it and to find a way to re-start his fifth-highest paid player.
Hopefully this puts to bed all the effort whining. If people judged Vinny the way they do Kovy, then Vinny would be villified.

Also, Kovy killed penalties most of the season (misuse). How do you effectively kill penalties without trying?

Johnny Hotrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotrox View Post
Hopefully this puts to bed all the effort whining. If people judged Vinny the way they do Kovy, then Vinny would be villified.

Also, Kovy killed penalties most of the season (misuse). How do you effectively kill penalties without trying?
he took more penalties than he killed this season BTW

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:36 AM
RushDP

Quote:
not the other way around ? you 100% sure ?
I am 100% certain this is the case. While certain people like to dump on Kovy it is apparent now that he was not the problem. AKost and Pleks each have issues this season. They have not progressed since last season each having taken a step back. I think Kovy playing with better line mates makes him produce more as he is right now.

On this board there are some that believe he is providing no effort if he doesn't score a goal in a game. They call him floater and point out his huge salary. Fact is that his salary is more than fair for his production and we can't ask more of a 36 year old player. Still he gets run down at every opportunity by small minded people.

Kovalev is great value for what he brings and he is a star caliber player that actually wants to play in this city unlike the Briere's and Lecavaliers of the world.

It is completely stupid to run this guy down at this stage of the season when he is playing so well and is a critical component to our immediate success. What happened under Carbo should stay in the past. It is clear Kovy and Koivu do not have a problem they talk on the bench like like the best of friends and that communication is paying off. There is really not a lot of meat on the Kovy hatred at this point.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
not the other way around ? you 100% sure ?
Uh, yes:

Kovalev: 63 pts
Plekanec: 39
Akost: 40

Who has more points? Who has only 1 goal in his last 16 games? When is the last stretch where Plekanec contributed offensively? They don't even play with Kovalev anymore, what's the excuse of Kovy haters now?

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Dont put 85% of us with you.

He had a great stretch because he's put in a position where he can be at his best. Thats the reason.

And I dont think Plekanec gets criticized that here despite having a terrible season. He had a good stretch aswell and that was after his suspension. After that, he was invisible. He is a non-factor since Kovalev was placed on the first line with Koivu and Tanguay and YOU were the one that put ALL the blame on Kovalev for Pleky's poor play.
Pulling stats out of your ass now? The latest poll asking if Kovalev should be re-signed was about 70% in favour of seeing him gone!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I refuse to lower myself with free name calling and accusations. I'm too old for that.

Quote:
Pulling stats out of your ass now? The latest poll asking if Kovalev should be re-signed was about 70% in favour of seeing him gone!

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:05 AM
1UP

Quote:
And I voted for him to be gone too.

However, after seeing how Plek and Kost are playing lately, it is clear to me Kovy wasn't the one holding them down. Kovy was simply trying to do too much.

I would vote for him to be re-signed this time.

New information, new opinion.

I would, however, prefer Kovy to be signed around 3.5-4 millions, because he is getting older.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Johnny Hotrox

How many players this season have scored 15 points in 6 games this season? Possibly a few superstars. I don't get some fans on this board (only a few) that use an incredible stretch of hockey as a platform to dump on a player.

It's been a tough season for the team, and they have not given up. Kovy has not given up. the playoffs are coming and the team looks ready to fire. Kovy is a leader on this team; he's helping to lead them into the playoffs.

Johnny Hotrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissHiggins View Post
Pulling stats our of one's ass is not name calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
And I voted for him to be gone too.

However, after seeing how Plek and Kost are playing lately, it is clear to me Kovy wasn't the one holding them down. Kovy was simply trying to do too much.

I would vote for him to be re-signed this time.

New information, new opinion.

I would, however, prefer Kovy to be signed around 3.5-4 millions, because he is getting older.
Bandwagoning I guess?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Africa.

Quote:
So, what now... we forget to sh**** 50 games he played before his stretch ?
He played well in the first half the year I thought, he wasn't scoring many goals, but he set up a lot of them and played with effort.

Africa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:42 AM
HabsPack

Quote:

Actually what I should have stated was "closest thing", not "best thing". The fact that you find that to be unbelievable tells me a lot.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

Sign Kovalev & Tanguay. Sign Lang for cheap. Acquire Lecavalier.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
he took more penalties than he killed this season BTW
WRONG!

Check this out:

October, took 4 mins of penalties, had logged over 13 mins of sh time

November, 8 mins of P, 26 mins of sh time

Dec, 20 mins of p, 21 mins of sh time

Jan, 12 mins of p, 9 mins of sh time

Feb, 14 mins of p, 19 mins of sh time

March(only under Carbs, as Gainey smartly doesn't use Kovy on PK) 8 mins of p, and over 10 mins of sh time

Total: 72 PIM and 98 mins killing penalties

So next time you think you know something, check before you open your mouth.(Not to mention Kovy has taken penalties since Gainey took over and has logged 0 mins on SH, so you are VERY WRONG)

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

I'm no expert like you guys but I hope he'll be back

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:28 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
I'm no expert like you guys but I hope he'll be back
"expert"? LOL, a lot of people here know their stuff, but when it comes down to what they say, its much more biased then anything

Old
04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Kovalev should be the shoe-in for First star of the week...

Unles Sidney Crosby requests it, he hasn't got much media attention lately.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:34 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I would sign Kovalev before I resign Koivu.
I'd sign Kovalev and Lang before Koivu

Tangs - Pleks - Kovy
SK - Lang - AK
Higgy - Laps - Lats
Pac/Stewie - Chips/Mets - Kosto/BGL

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:41 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Nobody gets effing resigned. Jesus Christ. It's the one problem I have with spelling on this site! I can handle anything else, but not bloody resigning. It's RE-SIGN damn it!

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:41 PM
CrAzYNiNe

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH GUYS

This has been said so often, but please you must learn!

resign=I no longer want to be a part of X
re-sign=get a new contract to sign

Get it right(not write, wtf am I thinking!!!! ), because Gainey might resign at years end, and someone else may re-sign Kovalev!!!

Last edited by CrAzYNiNe: 04-05-2009 at 01:47 PM.