HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins-Habs Series Keys: From a B's Fan's Perspective

Old
04-16-2009, 09:50 AM
All Right Hamilton

vCash: 500
Bruins-Habs Series Keys: From a B's Fan's Perspective

So much focus is being given to Laracque/Lucic/Chara/Komi/Who's gonna beat who up and all that garbage that maybe it would be refreshing to get back to a real hockey discussion. From my perspective, the keys to this series include:

Bruins
Discipline - in the last reg. season game several B's lost it and it cost them. The Habs PP is coming on of late and if the Habs can draw the Bruins into cheap penalties the Bruins will pay the price. Stay out of the box.

Tim Thomas- has to make the saves a #1 guy SHOULD make; he'll make some big saves, always does...but he can't let in a softy as he has done on occasion in tight games.

Scoring depth - with Axelsson supposedly on the #1 line, I'm afraid that line will not be as effective as it might be otherwise. Therefore the 3rd line in particular (Krejci, Ryder, Lucic) is absolutely key...if they can put some pucks in the back of the net it may open things up for Savard's line and Bergeron's line (and the Bergy line has become more of a checking line of late).

Canadiens:
Carey Price-This guy has the ability to steal a series, no doubt. If he is on his game he is as good as anyone I've seen. He'll need to be very very good this series.

Get Under the B's skin- The Bruins have several players who can lose their cool easily...Thomas, Chara, Lucic, Hnidy, Montador...even Savard loses it from time to time. If the Habs can antagonize but stay within the rules, they may be able to draw the Bruins into some dumb penalties.

PP-When clicking it's a very good power play, good enough to turn a game...and possibly a series...around.

My view
The Bruins have not accomplished anything this year, IMO...nor have the Canadiens. Records don't matter, playoff seeding doesn't matter, all that matters right now is tonight's game. Despite all of the talk, some by Laracque, but most by the fans, these guys know what's at stake, and they're not looking any further than tonight's game. I expect intensity, but I'm hopeful that it won't be helter skelter right off the bat...if it is I think that favors Montreal. The Bruins would benefit from an upbeat, but very controlled start to the game and series, roll out all 4 lines, get the nervousness out. The Habs, though, I think would benefit from creating a bit of dissaray, get the Bruins emotions going early and not letting them settle into their game. The B's are the deeper team, IMO...but the Habs can match them in goal, and have the sometimes over-done (but in my opinion "real") concept of the Canadiens mystique behind them.

Good luck to all, it's going to be a helluva series I think.

All Right Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by rician blast View Post
My view
The Bruins have not accomplished anything this year, IMO...nor have the Canadiens. Records don't matter, playoff seeding doesn't matter, all that matters right now is tonight's game. Despite all of the talk, some by Laracque, but most by the fans, these guys know what's at stake, and they're not looking any further than tonight's game. I expect intensity, but I'm hopeful that it won't be helter skelter right off the bat...if it is I think that favors Montreal. The Bruins would benefit from an upbeat, but very controlled start to the game and series, roll out all 4 lines, get the nervousness out. The Habs, though, I think would benefit from creating a bit of dissaray, get the Bruins emotions going early and not letting them settle into their game. The B's are the deeper team, IMO...but the Habs can match them in goal, and have the sometimes over-done (but in my opinion "real") concept of the Canadiens mystique behind them.

you do know you just won the EC title, right??

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Habs

Quote:

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:13 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
you do know you just won the EC title, right??
Not even the Bruins hang those banners...

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Habskrieg

I do agree on what you put forward. Dicsipline also goes for the Habs, we get soo many stupid unecessary penalties, it's sad. Bruins are in top 5 for PP, so they're a menace.

On Habs side:
----we need some of our other players to step it up. As of now we really rely on Koivu-Kovy-Tanguay and Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos lines. We need for players, namely Plekanecs ad A. Kostitsyn to step it up, way more than what we've seen this season. We're hoping the POs will ignite a spark to this unwilling motor.

----we also need our D to play very solid games, B's have a very explosive team that likes to get physical. Our D needs to stay focused and keep an eye on players such as Savard and Bergeron, two players who seem to enjoy making us dig our graves. The return of Markov is very important for us.

B's side:
--- some players need to let go of the beef they have with other players. Sure keep the rivalry going. But forget about looking for a fight at every occasion. It can and will draw penalties.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:40 AM
LyleOdelein

I think that you've pointed out some key areas that could be determining factors in the series. Specifically, the goalies are going to be tremendously important for both teams. I really think that whoever wins the goaltending dual between Price and Thomas will go a long way to determining who moves on to the second round.

Controlling emotion and playing disciplined hockey is key for both teams. I don't just mean in penalties though. Both teams have to be disciplined with regards to positioning and strategy as well. Players like Komi, Lucic and Chara will have to be careful not to get too swept up in trying to throw devastating checks as both teams have players that can make the other team play if they get running around and out of position.

Strategically, I think that the most important factor for the Habs will be lessening the impact of the B's forecheck. The Habs are an absolutely brutal team when the opposition can hem them in the zone and maintain pressure through a solid cycle. Obviously the defence can help in this respect by making smart, quick decisions with the puck so they avoid turnovers and getting worn down by the B's physicality.

However, I think the best way the Habs can protect against the B's forecheck is to reduce the effectiveness of their quick breakout play. In order to do this, the Habs forwards will have to make smart decisions with the puck when they have it. Offensive turnovers are deadly against the B's and will usually result in an odd-man rush the other way. The Habs will need to make sure to keep the third man high to help with the backchecking pressure and to allow the D to step in and intercept the deflection dump-in play the B's use so effectively to gain the zone with speed. If the Canadiens can take away that breakout play, there will be a lot more pressure put on the Bruins wingers or defencemen to carry the puck up ice to gain the zone or dump it in. Ideally, the Habs can force guys like Montador, Ward or Stuart to have to carry the puck up to create open passing lanes and exploit their mistakes when they arise.

If the Habs can slow down the B's breakout play and thus reduce the effectiveness of their forecheck, I like their chance to do well in this series. If they can't do this, guys like Komi, Schneider, Hamrlik and Gorges will have a long and probably painful series.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Phailak

Meh I feel that without Markov, the Habs will be dependant on their 1st line production AND the fact that a lot of the Bruins top players = our team's players last year.
If we stay with facts and numbers, Habs have little chance to do anything, it's actually overwhelming
BUT everyone knows the playoffs aren't about that
Can Ryder actually do something for once in the Playoffs?
Is Savard a good playoff performer (legitimate question, I have no clue)?
Is Krecji (sp?) last year's Pleks?
Can Chara play 30 minutes of intelligent hockey IF some of the Habs forwards keep hitting him?
Will Thomas remain solid when he's facing the same team for 4+ games?
Will Koivu be Koivu and be awesome in the playoffs?
Will Kovalev want to play?
Can Price live up to expectations?
Will Laps' line disappear?

So many things can happen. Key guys can fall to injury and the team collapses (see Koivu vs Carolina 06). Some bounces can go one way or the other causing a boost in confidence.

That's why it's so awesome to make the playoffs, 1st or 8th who cares as long as you get a shot. Aside from last year, we're comfortable with being the underdog, we thrive on it, but usually, even if we do get past round 1, we're dead by round 2 for having exhausted all energy...

Phailak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Trexim

vCash: 594
From past experiences, the (few, but the loudest) B's fans perspective after a series with the Habs would be:

If the Bruins win:
Bruins: Rules
Habs: sucks, a bunch of divers

If Hab win:
Bruins: Still rules, did great.
Habs: still sucks, all (including the fans) are divers, the refs hate the Bruins, there is a conspiracy against the Bruins .... bla ... bla .... bla

Why bother?

Trexim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Discipline, Tim Thomas, Scoring depth, Carey Price, Get Under the B's skin, PP....

I think the Bruins were one of the least penalized teams this year, am I correct?

Tim Thomas - I dislike the way he must shoulder the blame for not advancing in the playoffs. It's a team sport. I just hope the Habs can go top shelf on him like they did last game.

Scoring Depth - If our second line can't get going, I think we're screwed.

Carey Price - He's back. Well, I think he is.....if he handles the puck with confidence, his game is usually on. If he fires the puck around the boards and up ice with authority, like Brodeur. (No, I'm not comparing him to Brodeur, just noticed that when that part of his game is "on", then he's OK.) I think we'll know early on, because I feel the B's will come out firing on all cylinders.

Get under the B's skin - Keeping their emotions in check. The Habs did a better job than the B's last game. Komisarek is crucial here. He knows the B's hate him and he has to exploit that. Who keeps their emotions in check better? Julien or Gainey, Komi or Looch, Thornton or Laraque, Koivu or Chara?

PP - Yours can't be underestimated, and ours may underperform without Markov...

Anyways, here's to Bruin and Hab fans everywhere.

In the next 7 - 10 days we'll all be glued to the same games. Our highs will be your lows, and vice versa. Hope the series is a classic.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Alf

random comment

I can't believe I'm posting on the Habs forum (obviously i'm from Boston), but I am going to be respectful and comment on this series from just a sports perspective: this is awesome for hockey in general. I know in Canada you guys take hockey for granted, but south of the border in the States, hockey is laughed upon and not even considered a major sport anymore.

This rivalry needs to happen for the NHL to be taken seriously again, especially after how much Bettman has messed it up. If last thursday's game was televised primetime on ESPN, Americans would realize the greatness that is hockey. And even more so, it would be nice if Chicago could go far and somehow draw Detroit in the Western Conference finals. Ahhhh, the good ol' days! We need the Original 6'ers back in the mix.

Anyhow, I can't wish the Canadiens luck...but I have to say, this is great for our sport. (By the way, it just took an extraordinary amount of restraint on my part to not instigate anything here!)

Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:12 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

You can make it real simple. Keys for the Habs- Markov playing. Keys for boston- Markov not playing = wins. End thread.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

How is Price able to steal a series? What makes you say that? Sounds like you were throwing Habs fans a bone here. I think the only way Montreal makes this even interesting is if most of their guys who've been alseep all year wake up.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:15 AM
momotan

Yep, a habs-bruins series is always gold for the NHL. Too bad it's on VS/Nesn and not ESPN. With HD, the old BS excuse of "we cant see the puck" (but u can see a golf ball sailing in the air for 300 yards...right) goes out the window.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Donkeyz

Well, I'll say it: good luck to the Bruins.

Can you hear the eery war drums ?
Habs fans are coming ! Hide the women and children !

Donkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
How is Price able to steal a series? What makes you say that? Sounds like you were throwing Habs fans a bone here. I think the only way Montreal makes this even interesting is if most of their guys who've been alseep all year wake up.
If that happens, the Habs win. Boston doesn't have another level as they've played to it all year. Everyone knows Montreal has more than what they've shown all year.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:27 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
If Price gets 4 SO's, that's stealing the series. I'd say the only way the Habs make this interesting is if someone Markov plays every game.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Well he did last year if I remember correctly,game 4 ended 1-0 and game 7 in the 1st period he was the best player on the ice by far

We know he's capable of doing it,just waiting to see if he steps it up!

Good Luck

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Lucius

Before 19 trolls jump in, I just wanted to say, classy post. Cannot wish the Bs luck either, but definitely agree with the post.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 905
Definitely agree with you, I'm a Habs for life, but I don't understand the hate some fans have upon other teams (well, perhaps except for the Leafs, and their fans).

I sure hope this goes in 7 games, as the NHL need that kind of rivalry, to attract more attention, more fans, and especially more funds and credibility... the last one could come when Buttman gets thrown away...

Anyway, I can wish you good luck, you'll need it...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:58 AM
GoldenForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
I can't believe I'm posting on the Habs forum (obviously i'm from Boston), but I am going to be respectful and comment on this series from just a sports perspective: this is awesome for hockey in general. I know in Canada you guys take hockey for granted, but south of the border in the States, hockey is laughed upon and not even considered a major sport anymore.

This rivalry needs to happen for the NHL to be taken seriously again, especially after how much Bettman has messed it up. If last thursday's game was televised primetime on ESPN, Americans would realize the greatness that is hockey. And even more so, it would be nice if Chicago could go far and somehow draw Detroit in the Western Conference finals. Ahhhh, the good ol' days! We need the Original 6'ers back in the mix.

Anyhow, I can't wish the Canadiens luck...but I have to say, this is great for our sport. (By the way, it just took an extraordinary amount of restraint on my part to not instigate anything here!)
I applaud your post-- I was born and raised in Montreal, but have lived in the States for the past decade and to see where hockey currently stands is truly sad. It's actually become the laughing stock fodder on talk radio...with everyone repeating the same old (inaccurate) song that it just develops into a sad domino reality.

What I also don't get is why Versus is not televising (minus game 2) the Habs-Bruins (instead they are offering the Wings-BlueJackets). Now clearly the Wings are the Wings and both the latter two teams are American, but I find that Versus repeatedly misses the opportunity to showcase major rivalries like the Habs-Bruins. They did the same last year, only televising the later games of the series when the other first-round matchups were finished. I mean if you are trying to sell hockey to an American audience, who the hell would not be enthralled by the ruggedness of this rivalry with the fans in each building going absolutely nuts. IMO, it's simply the best in hockey. And hooray to 5 of 6 Originals in the playoffs...though I can't remember the one who didn't make it. It's great for hockey.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Well he did last year if I remember correctly,game 4 ended 1-0 and game 7 in the 1st period he was the best player on the ice by far

We know he's capable of doing it,just waiting to see if he steps it up!

Good Luck
So he's letting in muffins left and right and barely escapes with a series win against the 8th seed? That's stealing a series? No way, my friend.

And to the other person who commented that if the secondary scoring wakes up, Montreal takes the series: I don't think they under-achieved this year, rather over-achieved last year, but that's my opinion.

Montreal gets outclassed in every category in this series, so I really don't see them winning even a single game. But, if they do, it will be a great accomplishment. Here's to a good series.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
So he's letting in muffins left and right and barely escapes with a series win against the 8th seed? That's stealing a series? No way, my friend.

And to the other person who commented that if the secondary scoring wakes up, Montreal takes the series: I don't think they under-achieved this year, rather over-achieved last year, but that's my opinion.

Montreal gets outclassed in every category in this series, so I really don't see them winning even a single game. But, if they do, it will be a great accomplishment. Here's to a good series.
I don't know about letting in some softies against Boston last year.Games 1-2 he was really good,game 3 not much of a chance especially on the winner extra attacker on,game 4 he couldn't have done better with a shutout steal in Boston,game 5 I agree with you the 3rd period was his worse period of the series,game 6 was a high scoring game but give some credit to your bruins they scored some very nice goals in that game,and game 7 another shutout.

The best team in the conference last year did not play like it during the plafoffs but I would say Price didn't play well

And as for your 2nd part well the same was said back in 2002 and 2004

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
If a Bruins fan(s) made that, then they did a good, non homer job!

I give it till game 3 before we're at each other's throats even more so.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Magic33

I love the habs, but right now I am expecting a loss in this round because I am expecting Pleks, A.kost and Price to continue playing like they have this year.

However, if that second line and Price actually come to play, this series will be a lot different then most people think.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:38 PM
skule123

Quote:
So he's letting in muffins left and right and barely escapes with a series win against the 8th seed?

Montreal gets outclassed in every category in this series
Boston was a better team than their record showed last year, and their roster to end last year isn't that far off from the team that did very well this year. By that token, the series was close because Boston was a good team, better than their 8th seed implied, and to suggest otherwise is disingenuous.

A 5-0 game 7 win over a team that isn't that far removed from one of the league's leaders in most statistical categories isn't really as small an accomplishment as you imply. I've seen that you're usually unduly harsh in most of your posts about the Montreal Canadiens, so maybe I'm not going to convince you of much.

That said, I think the Habs will get beat by a margin proportional to the length of Markov's absence. :/

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote