HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Would it be better to pick in the lottery?

Old
04-05-2009, 09:29 AM
cmdevisser

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Would it be better to pick in the lottery?

I feel like the question should be debated here if it would be better for the Rangers to miss the playoffs and get a better draft pick than squeak into 8th place and flame out in one round.

This team could really use a good pick in this draft considering it's the deepest since 2003, and I believe that after a training camp w/ Torts this team will be much better next year anyway.

Thoughts?

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:31 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

No matter where the Rangers pick in round one, there is going to be a good player on the board. And, this draft SHOULD play into the Rangers' weakness - top six forwards with goal-scoring ability. Glennie, Morin, Kassian, Ashton and Ferraro could be available when the Rangers pick. Chances are the Rangers are going to get a potential very good young foward.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:32 AM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
Boooooooooooooooooooooo

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:32 AM
bubba5

No Guarantee with that, the Rangers get it wrong most of the time, Staal being the only one in years to pan out. They passed over Parise to get Korpo. Look at Jessiman, Montoya, Brendl, Lundmark, Malhotra, the list goes on.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:34 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
No Guarantee with that, the Rangers get it wrong most of the time, Staal being the only one in years to pan out. They passed over Parise to get Korpo. Look at Jessiman, Montoya, Brendl, Lundmark, Malhotra, the list goes on.
Er, no...Parise was drafted in 2003 (instead of Jessiman), and Korpikoski was drafted in 2004.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Vitto79

no it's never good to not make the playoffs. Honestly just get in. Then you never know. I don't expect much but right now they have their fate in their own hands. It's a long shot but win and in. 3 in a row............yea i said it...........

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Section311

No...because the difference of finishing 8th or 9th is not going to change the number pick you get that much. The worst thing that could happen to this team is finish 9th. That was the problem with them all those years they missed the playoffs. They werent good enough to make the playoffs but they werent terrible enough to get a top three pick. The best thing right now is to make the playoffs and see what happens. If Henrik gets hot you never no how far we can go.

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:53 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Er, no...Parise was drafted in 2003 (instead of Jessiman), and Korpikoski was drafted in 2004.
Ok, my bad, my point is they Rangers stink at the draft table in the early rounds.

Old
04-05-2009, 10:25 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Ok, my bad, my point is they Rangers stink at the draft table in the early rounds.
I think Cherepanov, Del Zotto and Staal were all great picks.

03-04 was a while back. Their drafting has been much better lately imo

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:42 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think Cherepanov, Del Zotto and Staal were all great picks.

03-04 was a while back. Their drafting has been much better lately imo
Cherapanov was tragic, Can we wait and see if Del Zotto makes it to the NHL before we call him a great pick, still waiting to see if Bobby Z will make it (no guarantees on either)

Old
04-05-2009, 12:29 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

For us the difference is only going to be a couple of draft spots. Better to make the playoffs and draft 15-17 than not and draft 14. Much rather be the 1st or 2nd playoff team to make a pick than the last non-playoff team.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:36 PM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
With a goaltender like Lundqvist you never know what's going to happen in the playoffs. Betting everything on Lundqvist is safer than betting it all on marginally improving your draft position.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 12:52 PM
NYR Viper

IMO it doesnt matter, although it would be in the Rangers' best interest to trade away Rozsival and Gomez and hopefully get a couple more 1st rounders this year. That would set this team up for a long time.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:21 PM
MSG the place to be*

Im surprised not one of you knows how the lottery works...

Let's say we finish with the most points outside the playoffs putting us in the 14th position in the draft. The lottery then selects one team and every team has a different probability. Ours would be like less than 1 %. If we somehow do get picked we do not get the # 1 pick!!!. You can only move up five spots so we would get the 9th pick and then everyone else from 9-13 slides down one. Only teams 6th or better have a chance at the #1 pick.

Basically, the lottery is way way different than the NBA which more people are probably familiar with.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:23 PM
beastly115

It won't matter where we pick. We're still going to draft a crappy player.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:42 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

MSG... the guy who is surprised not one of us know how the lottery works!

If your going to call people out get it right...

Teams can move up 4 spots not 5.
Only the top 5 have a shot at #1.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 05:31 PM
lundqvistfan33

The Rangers dont have a very good history of drafting players. They have had their few picks that have came to be good. Dont get me wrong i think Staal is great, but he isnt what they need what they need is an Offensive D-Man and 2 Top Six forwards, both from the draft and then they need a guy that could be involved in a conversation that has the names Kovalchuck, Ovy, Malkin, that can put the puck in the net at a minimum of 40 times in a season. Then they need to get young like they did a few years back. Get rid of Rosival, Redden and i dont like to say that Drury is a problem because he isnt, but for the numbers that he has been putting up he needs to go because of his contract. Gomez is younger so he is easier to cope with. Getting rid of those 3 alone free's up around 18 million.. That gives us the space needed to offer money to a goal scorer like Kovy or a good Offensive D-Man. And doesnt handcuff us if we wanted to make a trade. But unfortunately we are going to be stuck with Rosival and Redden for sure for the next few years unless their is a team out there that is crazy enough to take them. If we were to buy them out then we would be in the same situation that the Isles are in with Yashin. But it doesnt the Isles as much as it could affect us because the Isles are already so far under the cap that it doesnt matter.

It isnt as easy as some of you guys are making it out to be to trade away our problems for picks. If they suck with us, what makes you think that they wont be as bad with the new team. And no team wants to trade their picks to us for big contracts that dont produce.

lundqvistfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
TylerDurden

I'd much rather watch a competitive team finish 9th than watch a bad team all year for a higher draft pick.

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:04 AM
SPG

Definitely would rather be in the playoffs...and it's not even close. Losers shoot for higher draft picks.

Extended Rangers hockey season = Good.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Im surprised not one of you knows how the lottery works...

Let's say we finish with the most points outside the playoffs putting us in the 14th position in the draft. The lottery then selects one team and every team has a different probability. Ours would be like less than 1 %. If we somehow do get picked we do not get the # 1 pick!!!. You can only move up five spots so we would get the 9th pick and then everyone else from 9-13 slides down one. Only teams 6th or better have a chance at the #1 pick.

Basically, the lottery is way way different than the NBA which more people are probably familiar with.
I think it's only 4 spots.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:33 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
I think it's only 4 spots.
To trade up 4 spots would likely cost at least a 3rd rounder, depending on desperation then maybe a 2nd. "The Battleship" was a 3rd rounder....

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:45 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundqvistfan33 View Post
The Rangers dont have a very good history of drafting players. They have had their few picks that have came to be good. Dont get me wrong i think Staal is great, but he isnt what they need what they need is an Offensive D-Man and 2 Top Six forwards, both from the draft and then they need a guy that could be involved in a conversation that has the names Kovalchuck, Ovy, Malkin, that can put the puck in the net at a minimum of 40 times in a season. Then they need to get young like they did a few years back. Get rid of Rosival, Redden and i dont like to say that Drury is a problem because he isnt, but for the numbers that he has been putting up he needs to go because of his contract. Gomez is younger so he is easier to cope with. Getting rid of those 3 alone free's up around 18 million.. That gives us the space needed to offer money to a goal scorer like Kovy or a good Offensive D-Man. And doesnt handcuff us if we wanted to make a trade. But unfortunately we are going to be stuck with Rosival and Redden for sure for the next few years unless their is a team out there that is crazy enough to take them. If we were to buy them out then we would be in the same situation that the Isles are in with Yashin. But it doesnt the Isles as much as it could affect us because the Isles are already so far under the cap that it doesnt matter.

It isnt as easy as some of you guys are making it out to be to trade away our problems for picks. If they suck with us, what makes you think that they wont be as bad with the new team. And no team wants to trade their picks to us for big contracts that dont produce.
You do realize Kovy, Ovy and Malkin were the top picks of their drafts. The Rangers were never bad enough for that kind of pick. Overall I think the last 5 years the Rangers have done a tremendous job picking and developing players based on their draft position. Currently Dubinsky, Callahan, Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi and Korpikoski have shown some early success. I expect Anisimov, Grachev, Sangs, MDZ , Stepan, Sauer, Kveton and Byers to come up and make an impact. Add this years incoming draft picks. That's a pretty good base you built from just the draft.

I root for the Rangers to succeed but if they don't make the playoffs I know they will get an impact player at #14 in this years draft.

Old
04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
To trade up 4 spots would likely cost at least a 3rd rounder, depending on desperation then maybe a 2nd. "The Battleship" was a 3rd rounder....
I would gladly trade a third round pick every year if I knew we'd make the playoffs.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I would gladly trade a third round pick every year if I knew we'd make the playoffs.
Would you trade Grachev this year to make the #8 seed? It's much harder when a name is attached ....

Old
04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Would you trade Grachev this year to make the #8 seed? It's much harder when a name is attached ....
no way in hell would I get behind offering up Grachev.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote