HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Tyler Myers Progression Thread

Old
04-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
*raises hand*

I confess I was ticked. However, ever since watching him during the rookie camp at NU I have been grinning from ear to ear.

The thing that struck me over and over is his skating. He is 6'8" and skates like Campbell. With that size/reach and that kind of fluid foot speed he is a big PITA to get around, and your certainly not going to go through him.
That and he uses that speed to front all over the place -- you have to go through him and going around him takes all damned day.

04-06-2009, 01:36 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

The more I think about it, the more I see Myers as the right pick, and not just because of how he's progressed.

We could've gone with the safer pick in Teubert, but look at our current defensive stable. We could afford to take a chance on a boom-or-bust player because what we needed was a guy who could be a bona fide #1. We had Sekera, Butler, Weber, Brennan, Persson (I still haven't given up on him)...plenty of good talent on the blue line. Having a guy who could be head and shoulders (pun fully intended) above the rest was worth the risk because we had future depth guys in the system.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
It was an option--they wouldn't have made the deal and allowed whatever other team below them to make the trade with LA. If that team then took anyone other than Teubert, the Sabres could have taken him. Not a 100% guaranteed strategy of course (although if LA knew the team that was trading up wanted Teubert they may not have made the deal), but it was an option.
The Kings would have kept the 12th pick and taken Teubert if that is who the Sabres coveted.

They were trading down if they could still get Teubert.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:44 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The Kings would have kept the 12th pick and taken Teubert if that is who the Sabres coveted.

They were trading down if they could still get Teubert.
Only if they knew--if the Sabres hadn't tried to trade up, it's possible they wouldn't have known.

But yeah, certainly it wouldn't be 100% guaranteed they could have got him.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
I wonder how many people are still ticked we didn't pick Teubert.
We never had a chance at Teubert. LA wanted him.

Myers was 3rd on preference list of potential draftees, but #1 and #2 were taken before us (Bailey, Beach)

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Right now it's looking damn good taking Myers over Teubert but I'll reserve judgement for now until I see more than one year of post-draft development. I'll admit I wasn't a fan of the Myers pick (at all) and there were several players I liked more (including Teubert) but right now the Myers pick is definitely looking like it was the right one.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

the way i look at myers. why send him to boot camp for a few months when maybe after a year or two we might have a man.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
the way i look at myers. why send him to boot camp for a few months when maybe after a year or two we might have a man.
why send a man back to high school if he's ready to graduate?

i cant make a judgement until camp... if he is one of the 6 best defensemen he stays, if not he goes back to juniors until his birthday

Old
04-06-2009, 02:53 PM
OpethianSabre20

If he proves that he belongs in camp, I want him up here for the 10 game tryout at the very least. I'm very excited about him and the defense in general for the future.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Dabs21Nike

I think at the very least he has to get a 10 game tryout at the beginning of the year. If he looks lost or out of place, send him to juniors for one more year. If he looks good then keep him up here. I'd play him on the 3rd pairing and give him some nights off so he doesn't completely wear out by the end of the year.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose28 View Post
I think at the very least he has to get a 10 game tryout at the beginning of the year. If he looks lost or out of place, send him to juniors for one more year. If he looks good then keep him up here. I'd play him on the 3rd pairing and give him some nights off so he doesn't completely wear out by the end of the year.
Why would he wear out? He is playing a schedule of 60+ games and then playoffs at about 30min a night in juniors. On the bottom pairing he will be playing about 16min a night . Not to mention he would be 19 year old kid to start next season.

If he can't handle that kind of ice time then he shouldn't be on the roster yet.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:59 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Wasn't an option.

LA wasn't making the trade if the Sabres wanted Teubert.

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200...raft-pick.html
I do believe though, that once the trade was finalized and we were firmly in number 12, that we could have picked anyone we wanted. It would have ruined Darcy's credibility among the GMs for going back on his word, but it was still an option.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Why would he wear out? He is playing a schedule of 60+ games and then playoffs at about 30min a night in juniors. On the bottom pairing he will be playing about 16min a night . Not to mention he would be 19 year old kid to start next season.

If he can't handle that kind of ice time then he shouldn't be on the roster yet.
True but he'd also be playing against much bigger, stronger, better competition and that takes a toll on the body just as much as playing more, softer minutes. A lot of rookies tend to hit a wall after the All-Star break or shortly there-after.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 12:14 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
I do believe though, that once the trade was finalized and we were firmly in number 12, that we could have picked anyone we wanted. It would have ruined Darcy's credibility among the GMs for going back on his word, but it was still an option.
Wow. That's just one of those things that you do not do.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Ball1374

For those keeping track, Tyler had a goal and 2 assists last night in a 7-2 win over Tri-Cities and earned the games third star for his efforts. He now has 3 goals and 6 assists thru 7 games.

Ball1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:32 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
True but he'd also be playing against much bigger, stronger, better competition and that takes a toll on the body just as much as playing more, softer minutes. A lot of rookies tend to hit a wall after the All-Star break or shortly there-after.

Very true and a good point.

But in most cases the rookies that hit a wall are being asked to contribute more than a bottom pairing dmen would. Sekera is a rookie this year and hit a wall a few weeks ago. His mental game was shot and he is struggling badly becasue of it. But he is being asked to play boatloads of minutes. I guess its a matter of what would be asked of Myers and how ready he is mentally.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Very true and a good point.

But in most cases the rookies that hit a wall are being asked to contribute more than a bottom pairing dmen would. Sekera is a rookie this year and hit a wall a few weeks ago. His mental game was shot and he is struggling badly becasue of it. But he is being asked to play boatloads of minutes. I guess its a matter of what would be asked of Myers and how ready he is mentally.
With injuries and the defensive pairing juggling this team seems to go through every year, Myers would eventually be pushed into more minutes I think. It would be nice if Butler could be pushed into a bigger role and Rivert could be paired with Myers next year. Playing with Rivet has really seemed to help Butler.

Old
04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
With injuries and the defensive pairing juggling this team seems to go through every year, Myers would eventually be pushed into more minutes I think. It would be nice if Butler could be pushed into a bigger role and Rivert could be paired with Myers next year. Playing with Rivet has really seemed to help Butler.
Rivet and Myers are both right side guys

Old
04-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Rivet and Myers are both right side guys
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks Jame. Who would Myers potentially be paired with then?

Old
04-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks Jame. Who would Myers potentially be paired with then?
If he is here next year, I expect it would be either Lydman or Tallinder.

Lydman-Sekera
Butler-Rivet
Tallinder-Myers

Or one of Lydallinder gets traded and we could see

Butler-Rivet
Weber-Sekera (they were very good together last year)
Lydman-Myers

Keep in mind, that there is no real #1 pairing, more a rotation of three 2nd pairs

Old
04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
If he is here next year, I expect it would be either Lydman or Tallinder.

Lydman-Sekera
Butler-Rivet
Tallinder-Myers

Or one of Lydallinder gets traded and we could see

Butler-Rivet
Weber-Sekera (they were very good together last year)
Lydman-Myers

Keep in mind, that there is no real #1 pairing, more a rotation of three 2nd pairs
That seems like a good idea because both Lydman and Tallinder are pretty good defensively and certainly wouldn't hurt Myers' development. The only problem I see with that is, like you said, we'd have to play Myers more than a typical 3rd pairing guy, otherwise it's going to cut one of Tallinder/Lydman's ice time.

Old
04-08-2009, 02:16 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

and for additional good news in the pipeline . . .

*points to the WHL 2009 Playoff Scoring Leader*
http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay....pe=top_scorers

Tyler Ennis - 9GP, 8G, 11A for 19 playoff points in 9 games!

Last edited by MacOfNiagara: 04-08-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added linkn
MacOfNiagara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
and for additional good news in the pipeline . . .

*points to the WHL 2009 Playoff Scoring Leader*

Tyler Ennis - 9GP, 8G, 11A for 19 playoff points in 9 games!
he had a 6 assist game, that probably helped

Old
04-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
I think he'd develop better if kept in the NHL and brought under the guidance of a full-time strength and conditioning coach. He doesn't even have to play much to make it worth it. He could be a #7-8 dman for all I care. Practicing and being coached at the NHL level would benefit him more than another year in the WHL. I remember the hockey pundits were all over Pat Burns for not using Joe Thornton much in his rookie year with the Bruins. McKee didn't see much ice time as a rookie with the Sabres either. People were screaming to play him or send him back to juniors. It wouldn't be smart to keep him if they're counting on him to play big minutes and fill a key role. When it's done in the context of the developmental process without the pressure it can be a very good thing.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:27 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
he had a 6 assist game, that probably helped
Yes, yes it did.

Also, back on Myers, my only concern for him was a potential lack of toughness. I am willing to trade off some of a Chara like nastiness for some of the exceptional skating, but a bit of an edge would be nice.

He seems to be coming along in that department as his frame fills out and he gains confidence.

Also nice to see him quick to stick up for teamates, something we need in bulk. Color guy says Myers was the one hit, but it was a teamate (Number 8) and Tyler was sticking up for him.

MacOfNiagara is online now   Reply With Quote