HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

drury ... powerplay

Old
04-05-2009, 01:14 PM
ciggy

vCash: 500
drury ... powerplay

how does drury, a 12 year veteran, who has played on some very good teams, sit back and not take charge...

game after game the powerplay has been by far the biggest disappointment/difference in the success of the rangers...

you're the captain of this team, you don't have a design of some sort you remember from all the years you have been in the league?

to me a so called "clutch player" always has something up his sleave

take charge for goodness sake !

ciggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

He leads the team in PP goals and points.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:20 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Having watched Drury play for a long time, my sense is that he is holding his stick awfully tight right now. He's feeling the pressure.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:22 PM
beastly115

Drury brings nothing to this team. He hasn't been clutch for 2 years. He's not a sniper. He can't carry the puck. His leadership skills are iffy at best. He can't even consistently win faceoffs. At this point even his highly touted "intangibles" are second-rate.

This guy collects a paycheck for wearing a blue sweater. Get this chump out of here.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Why not throw a different look out there and see how some other players run it?

Avery, Antropov, Korpikoski

Korpikoski's got a laser

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:24 PM
NYR Viper

This team lacks any sort of skill. The PP is where your skilled players are supposed to take charge, name me, please, one player on this team who is as skilled as most teams entire PP units. Zherdev is the only one who is a possible answer and he is incredibly inconsistent.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Macke*

I was pretty pissed when both he and Gomez were on the PP at the end of yesterdays game for so long.

Split them up.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:28 PM
ciggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He leads the team in PP goals and points.
did i hear that we're 3 for the last 40 on the pp?

Old
04-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I don't think it's fair to blame any one player for the power play. They all suck equally.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:35 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

The main problem I have with the powerplay is how lazy it is. There is no movement, they put no pressure on the penalty killers.

If you watch closely every team in the NHL plays the Rangers the same way on the powerplay, and that's high pressure on the dmen on the point. Why do other teams do this? It's easy for them to cut down passing angles from the point when NONE of the forward players are moving.

When they start moving, you'll see results.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
did i hear that we're 3 for the last 40 on the pp?
Well youre asking for Drury specifically to step up, and Im simply pointing out that hes been the best of the worst.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:49 PM
EJS280

You need to have skill. That is why Pittsburgh and other teams like that are good on the PP. They have Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar running the PP and therefore are going to score a lot. Drury is no Crosby, Gomez is no Malkin, and no one has a shot like Gonchar. We need skill. This team is garbage and will go no where without some actual players, so give it up. There trying, they really are, do you think there just not even bothering here in the last couple games? HELL NO, they are trying. They just suck. End of story.

EJS280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:40 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Drury brings nothing to this team. He hasn't been clutch for 2 years. He's not a sniper. He can't carry the puck. His leadership skills are iffy at best. He can't even consistently win faceoffs. At this point even his highly touted "intangibles" are second-rate.

This guy collects a paycheck for wearing a blue sweater. Get this chump out of here.
With all due respect to the fact he is struggling, how exactly would you know this???

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:45 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJS280 View Post
You need to have skill. That is why Pittsburgh and other teams like that are good on the PP. They have Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar running the PP and therefore are going to score a lot. Drury is no Crosby, Gomez is no Malkin, and no one has a shot like Gonchar. We need skill. This team is garbage and will go no where without some actual players, so give it up. There trying, they really are, do you think there just not even bothering here in the last couple games? HELL NO, they are trying. They just suck. End of story.
Pittsburgh is 16.9% on the PP, good for 23rd in the league. The PP isn't about individual skill, it's about execution.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:17 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
With all due respect to the fact he is struggling, how exactly would you know this???
When Renney was canned, I believe he either did an interview or was quoted in the news as saying he thought Drury would have stepped up and been more of a leader than he was. I interpreted that as Drury is a leader, but not much of one. Hence the iffy at best part.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:24 PM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
I don't think it's fair to blame any one player for the power play. They all suck equally.
This.

The Lunatic Fridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Pittsburgh is 16.9% on the PP, good for 23rd in the league. The PP isn't about individual skill, it's about execution.
With Gonchar back they have been on fire.....it was a bit of a jump from last year when they were able to have Hossa and Malone out there with Gonchar, Crosby and Malkin where as this season they had only Malkin and Crosby for a while.

A beter example is the Habs, or the Sabres, or the Caps. Teams who build around skill seem to have better PP's.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:05 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
With Gonchar back they have been on fire.....it was a bit of a jump from last year when they were able to have Hossa and Malone out there with Gonchar, Crosby and Malkin where as this season they had only Malkin and Crosby for a while.

A beter example is the Habs, or the Sabres, or the Caps. Teams who build around skill seem to have better PP's.
Actually, what that proves is that teams need a good PP quarterback, which we know we don't have. Put Gonchar on this team and I'd bet our PP would be better too.

But it still comes down to execution. Look at Minnesota. They've scored 202 goals this year, 1 more than us in the same amount of games. Yet their PP is 19.4%. And that's with Gaborik only having 3 PP points in 13 games played. Minus Gaborik, their offensive talent is no better than ours, yet they are much more successful on the PP.

Scoring on the PP is about exploiting the fact that you have an extra man by creating a 2 on 1 somewhere on the ice. But that never seems to be our MO. We just try to get open shots from the point and hope for a deflection or a rebound.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Fletch

Drury made his living on the PP picking up junk around the net while playing on the left side (at least I believe that to be the case). Get pucks on net with nice rebounds to the side, and he'll score a bit more, assuming he's playing that position. Get the puck to him more so he can use his one-timer from the off-wing, and perhaps he would score more. I used the same argument with Prucha last season, so it's only fair I use it today. What needs to be figured out is how to get the PP moving so the puck can get across to him to shoot. As well, who on this team is capable of making such a pass.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:13 PM
satrabyk

Drury.. take charge. Please tell me your joking.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:17 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
This team lacks any sort of skill. The PP is where your skilled players are supposed to take charge, name me, please, one player on this team who is as skilled as most teams entire PP units. Zherdev is the only one who is a possible answer and he is incredibly inconsistent.
Antrapov

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:47 PM
ciggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Drury made his living on the PP picking up junk around the net while playing on the left side (at least I believe that to be the case). Get pucks on net with nice rebounds to the side, and he'll score a bit more, assuming he's playing that position. Get the puck to him more so he can use his one-timer from the off-wing, and perhaps he would score more. I used the same argument with Prucha last season, so it's only fair I use it today. What needs to be figured out is how to get the PP moving so the puck can get across to him to shoot. As well, who on this team is capable of making such a pass.

thank you fletch, this is what i was eluding to..

Old
04-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
The main problem I have with the powerplay is how lazy it is. There is no movement, they put no pressure on the penalty killers.

If you watch closely every team in the NHL plays the Rangers the same way on the powerplay, and that's high pressure on the dmen on the point. Why do other teams do this? It's easy for them to cut down passing angles from the point when NONE of the forward players are moving.

When they start moving, you'll see results.
^ Perfect. Our forwards don't move, they create zero havoc, they open no lanes, they don't out-number anyone in front of the net because two of them are always on the perimeter ... they basically do nothing. They add a lot more pressure to the point men.

We have an easy PP to play against, and even when we're up two men it's relatively non-threatening. If we could, we'd be almost better off declining the penalty in most cases, at least 5-on-5 our forwards (usually) move when they're in the offensive zone.