HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Don LaGreca's Rant

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2004, 01:18 PM
ArtVandelay

vCash: 500
Don LaGreca's Rant

Did anyone hear Don LaGreca's rant on 1050 ESPN Radio on Saturday morning? He really gave it to all the ignorant reporters who have condemned hockey and have even gone on to say the NHL should go away due to the violence. I thought it was some of the best radio I've heard in a long time.

His basic premise was that the Bertuzzi incident has caused many in the media who simply don't like and/or know the sport to cite it (the incident) as an example of what is wrong with the sport. Very similar stuff to what someone else posted about in letter to Jim Ryan on "Good Day New York". However, he took it many steps further in noting that of the athletes in the 4 major sports, hockey players are the only ones he'd ever trust "to watch his children". He said that in all the major sports, hockey players are the nicest, most down-to-earth people and that the runner-up isn't even close. He said that there's similar violence in EVERY sport and that at least hockey's record books aren't filled with question marks due to the possibility of steroid use - did anyone look at Wayne Gretzky when he scored 92 goals and say, "it looks like he might be using strength enhancing drugs"?

He went on for a good 15 minutes before I really had to get out of my car, but I wish I'd heard the rest and if I could've taped it, it would've been great.

Old
03-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Davisian

Had to get out of the Car??? Late for that latex sales meeting??

One of the things I miss about the city is 1050 espn, because of LaGreca.. I don't really miss Patrick, Mike& Mike nor Mike Kay but LaGreca, especially when on air with Wally & Keeg used to be my fav..

Don's never afraid to go OFF and I loved it..

I don't doubt for a minute that his rant was right on the money..

Old
03-17-2004, 01:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Evidently Don missed the memo telling him that this is March and you are only allowed to discuss NCAA basketball.

03-17-2004, 02:16 PM
ArtVandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Evidently Don missed the memo telling him that this is March and you are only allowed to discuss NCAA basketball.
I think you've been listening to WFAN a bit too much. Even Wally and the Keeg have been talking hockey everyday on ESPN.

Old
03-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay
I think you've been listening to WFAN a bit too much. Even Wally and the Keeg have been talking hockey everyday on ESPN.
I think Wally is an Islander fan !! Does that count ??

Closed Thread