HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryz, Hanzal Gone?

Old
04-06-2009, 02:37 AM
SR

vCash: 500
Bryz, Hanzal Gone?

Quote:
According to the Ottawa Sun, Coyotes goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has fallen out of favor in Phoenix and could be traded this off-season.
Bryzgalov, who is set o make $4.25 million next season, is expected to be shopped this summer, the Sun claims.

The paper suggests the Coyotes might also look to move center Martin Hanzal, who has been a healthy scratch lately.

Coyotes GM Don Maloney is expected to make a number of changes this off-season, and will look to bring back defenseman Derek Morris, whom the team traded to the New York Rangers at the trade deadline and can become an unrestricted free agent July 1.
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phx090405.html

SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:42 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

No.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:50 AM
SR

Same thing I thought.

SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:08 AM
gorsk11

Wow. This is right up there with D. Morris refuses to play before trade deadline.

Hanzal is sitting....his spot is fairly secured....Others are being evaluated.
He also has been dealing on and off with injuries...

Bryz - Ok. We will go with Montoya and Tjordman all next season.

They sure have a good handle on what is happening down here.

gorsk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:12 AM
yakko

Bryzgalov is well worth his salary.

The Coyotes often push Hanzal as a potential Selke winner.

Someone needs to do their homework.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 08:26 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Unless there is something out there that the Coyotes just can't say no to, especially for Hanzal then neither of them are going anywhere. If Bryz goes he goes but I doubt it highly.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
ducky

There was the story that a last minute deal involving a goalie fell thru at the trade deadline (ran out of time). GMDM even referred to it, mentioning a third team was involved.

I wondered at the time if the Coyotes were trying to trade him to Philly for a deal involving Biron and another player? Or was it with Washington?

Anyway, I could see the Coyotes dealing Bryzgalov this summer.

The Hanzal rumour is pretty silly based on the reason cited (ooh, he was benched). The only way I see Hanzal being traded is in a one for one deal for Staal (Pittsburgh version).

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I wonder if trading Bryz at the draft is an option to get another 1st round pick in the event that CGY doesn't give Phoenix their first round pick this season. Maybe a team like Detroit looking for a goalie who can hold things down until McCollum or Howard are ready would be a possibility. I know that Bryz probably isn't worth a first round pick but its just a thought or that Phoenix has their eye on a goalie prospect at the draft...

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Can we simply all agree that the Ottawa Sun is not a believable or credible source of any information with regards to our franchise, once and for all?

I really am getting tired of seeing this stuff.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Jake16

This is coming from the same rag that last reported that the Coyotes were going to go after Alexie Yashin in the offseason. Need I say more?

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 12:24 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

It's Bruce Garrioch:
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...08536-sun.html

Quote:
It's been another lost season in Phoenix and don't be surprised if G Ilya Bryzgalov is shopped. Bryzgalov, who will earn $4.25 million (all terms US) next season, has fallen out of favour with the Coyotes. The Coyotes have recalled G Al Montoya and he who has posted a 2-0 record with 0.50 GAA. He will get a chance to push for the top job next season. The club has been making C Martin Hanzal a healthy scratch lately and he could also be a candidate to be moved
Seems like 100% speculation and 0% critical thinking.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

seriosuly, has the media gotten to the point where they can publish just about anything and pass it off as fact? It's embarasing how bad the news media has got over the past decade.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Lorenzo1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
It's Bruce Garrioch:

This is now officially confirmed as total BS just based on the source alone.

Lorenzo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Jake16

While its possible Bryz could be traded, I don't see it and certainly don't think the Yotes are ready to turn the net over to a tandem of Al Montoya and Josh Tordjman. They've played a grand total of 5 NHL games combined between them (Montoya - 3 and Tordjman - 2). Neither would be guaranteed a spot as a backup next season, let alone the number 1 spot.

If Bryz goes, Maloney and Gretz would certainly bring in an experienced number one goalie. Given our struggles with Auld/Tellquist/Aebisher experiment before we got Bryz last season, I just don't see them taking a step backwards and going to a system without a proven number one guy in net. Bryz has had a hot and cold season but my two cents says that he stays and gets another shot at playing more consistently like he did last year. Plus at $4.25M that's pretty reasonable for a number 1 goalie.

As for Hanzal, I thought he was sitting because he's pretty banged up, not because of poor play. He's our best defensive forward and I think he's pretty untouchable right now. Would be completely counter to Maloney's plan to start shipping out any of the No. 1's and young guns (Boeker, Tik, Hanzal, Mueller, Porter, MacLean, Kolorik). Although I think Mueller could possibly be moved (again not likely) if the team thinks he's damaged goods after the concussion and it needs to salvage something before his value drops even more.

Last edited by Jake16: 04-06-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Why on earth would the Coyotes trade Bryzgalov? He's been awesome. Sure, he's struggled with some inconsistancy but this was his FIRST season as a starter. It has to be learned what it takes to bring it every single night and try to carry a god-awful team on your back for an entire season. We're headed for a lotto pick and our team is bottom five in every major category. Of course his numbers aren't All-Star worthy, this year. We signed him long-term, for a reason. If we do trade Bryzgalov(which we won't, since this is utter ********), we won't end up with a better goalie, next season. There just isn't a realistic scenario where we actually upgrade our goaltending for next season by dealing Ilya.

As for Hanzal, he's been nursing some bumps and bruises types of injuries all season, it seems. I think they're just giving the poor kid a rest while evaluating some of the new guys. Hanzal's job is secure, so why not have a longer look at guys like Dawes, Lindstrom, Prust, Winnik, ect. who we aren't sure what to do with, yet?

Old
04-06-2009, 01:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
There was the story that a last minute deal involving a goalie fell thru at the trade deadline (ran out of time). GMDM even referred to it, mentioning a third team was involved.
Really? I don't remember that. I know there was a rumor, but I don't remember anyone from the Coyotes making any kind of comment with regards to it.
Quote:
What would be the motivation for such a thing? I'd give him a B or B+ for his performance, this season. For four million bucks on one of the league's worst teams, what more do you want? Plus, he's young for a starting goaltender, and this was his first full season in that role. I really don't think you could find anything available that's actually better.
Quote:
The Hanzal rumour is pretty silly based on the reason cited (ooh, he was benched). The only way I see Hanzal being traded is in a one for one deal for Staal (Pittsburgh version).
That seems like a pretty lateral move. Again, I couldn't see any motivation for such a thing.

Old
04-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

this is his first full season as a no. 1 goaltender, he is bound to go through some struggles

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:49 PM
knowsthegame

Bryz has been a solid #1 goaltender on a team that struggles to score goals and play with consistancy.
All you have to do is look at any of the big name goalies (Loungo, Brodeur)
They all struggle from time to time - for god's sake, they're not robots.
Why would the Coyotes want to move Bryz? For what purpose?
As far as Hanzal is concerned, he has just finished his second year and is making steady improvement on a team that needs coaching desperately.
There are other names that would be surface long before Hanzal's.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:36 PM

The Fourth Period cannot be used as any sort of reliable source, that's the first mistake. I haven't seen the article out of the Ottawa Sun, but I don't necessarily believe that Bryz is untouchable either. At this point he has been a good stop gap, but he hasn't had a good enough team in front of him in Phoenix to prove if he is a legit #1 goalie that will take you anywhere in the playoffs. He has the run with Anaheim, but in general he hasn't done it as a starter himself. There are only a few elite goaltenders in the league, and if one of them became available I am sure that Maloney would prefer the upgrade, but the rest of the goalies in Bryz's tier are interchangeable so there is no reason to make a move at this time.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:54 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

The only goaltender right now that could be considered an "affordable" #1 for 2009-2010 might be Manny Fernandez... but to me that seems like a lateral move at best. He's got the numbers to be a better #1 than Bryz but he's also not a spring chicken.

I don't think Bryz is going anywhere unless Don Maloney somehow pulls some astounding deal out of his magic hat.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:06 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
It's Bruce Garrioch:

Agree 100%

This is a reporter who looks at the 2 back to back wins and shutout result and drawing his own conclusions. It's a joke and should not be given any more attention than it already has. Bryz may be moved but it won't be because of Montoya. At least not yet....

Gretzky has been raving about Hanzal all year. In fact Maloney even said that the emergence of Hanzal as a physical presence against the Getzlafs/Throntons of the world was one of the main reasons they thought they could afford to deal Jokinen.

Phoenix was working on a deal involving either Biron and Fernandez for Morris. But they were working the deal contingent on them being able to move the asset they received to another team. Not Bryzgalov but the other goalie.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:24 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
I thought that deal was another move for Telly with a better return. BUT that fell through so the standing offer from Buffalo was taken. Nothing to do with Bryz.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
_Del_

And I interpreted it to mean we would move Morris or something else for a goalie we would then ship out as part of a three way deal. Didn't give a thought to the prospect of moving Bryz. Odd how we all remember the comment differently.
At anyrate, I can't see them moving Bryz without acquiring another goalie. I don't see Montoya as a starter next season.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 11:30 PM
howlinpuckhead2

The Ottawah Sun has no clue what's going on down here in the desert do they? Bryz and Handzal aren't going anywhere! Bryz is a top notch goalie... Handzal is a solid center... he shuts the other team down when there trying create a play to score... No way!!!

howlinpuckhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 11:37 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:

I wondered at the time if the Coyotes were trying to trade him to Philly for a deal involving Biron and another player? Or was it with Washington?

I'm a bit biased as a fan of both teams but I would say yes if it was Staal for Hanzal no strings attached. Hanzal is awesome and is still developing but Staal is playing REALLY well on the 3rd line for the Pens, he is producing offensively and is playing well defensively too... I think he'd anchor our 2nd and possibly 1st line for years to come with a few Selkes possibly too.

Its a matter of if the Pens feel they need to trade him still... which is a good idea since his value has risen but also a bad idea because he has been great since Bylsma's stepping in.

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote