HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryz, Hanzal Gone?

Old
04-07-2009, 01:27 AM
yakko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Phoenix was working on a deal involving either Biron and Fernandez for Morris. But they were working the deal contingent on them being able to move the asset they received to another team. Not Bryzgalov but the other goalie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
And I interpreted it to mean we would move Morris or something else for a goalie we would then ship out as part of a three way deal. Didn't give a thought to the prospect of moving Bryz. Odd how we all remember the comment differently.
That is exactly what I remember reading as well. I do not remember hearing of the Coyotes being in the market to replace Bryzgalov.

It would be very difficult (and likely expensive) to get an improvement on Bryzgalov if you consider his ability and salary combination.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:27 AM
carcillo13

Though I don't nessecarily consider the source of this info to be reliable, I wouldn't be surprised if Bryz was shopped this summer. In my opinion, the team has been playing like crap in front of Bryz lately, his patience for it is wearing thin & it shows. (See: last night's Bryz fit after letting in the 4th goal. That particular goal was all his fault but the others weren't nessecarily. His own fudge-up was just the last straw.) I am admittedly not a Bryz fan, never have been. So I wouldn't be sad to see him go. However, I don't see him going anywhere without another starter coming here in return. I would take Biron in a heartbeat. But unless he craps out during the playoffs, I don't look for that to happen. I like how Al has played since his call-up but I'm not quite ready to put the fate of our net in the glove of Al or Tordjy.

As for Hanzal- meh... I have to say that nothing surprises me with this team anymore. If they can get something good in return, they'd shop him. Anything's for sale, for a price.

carcillo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:59 AM
MP

Bryz's relatively modest contract could lead to some interest from teams looking to dump salary and upgrade in net--Detroit comes to mind as a team with tons of talent, no way to re-sign it all, and a burning need for a new goalie. I'm sure there are others. Maloney could conceivably get a pretty decent package in return from somebody, but it would likely mean taking on a bloated contract or two, and that isn't his style. Plus, it's not like any of our goalie prospects are ready anyway, which means somebody else would have to be signed or dealt for, and in the end the whole issue would just end up being more trouble than it's worth. Unless Bryz has requested a trade, he'll be retained.

Hanzal is too big to trade. The combination of size and defensive responsibility is a rarity on this roster, especially among the forwards. While I'm sure there are some teams in cap trouble who would love to trade for him, Maloney would likely ask for the moon in return.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:45 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Hanzal is too big to trade. The combination of size and defensive responsibility is a rarity on this roster, especially among the forwards. While I'm sure there are some teams in cap trouble who would love to trade for him, Maloney would likely ask for the moon in return.
Hanzal's a warrior. He was last night's only bright spot. We can't let the guy go.

Bryz is not elite, but he should be good enough. He was not the reason for our collapse this season. My only concern is Bryz seems to play better when having to compete for the starting job. Telly could play well enough to make him sweat a tiny bit when he lost his focus, but I don't think he has much to worry about from either Tordjman or Montoya.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:49 AM
knowsthegame

After last night's game and the Gretsky post game, he was quick to say Montoya was starting on Thurs. GTO was also quick to say that it was not Bryz night (and it wasn't).
Bryz has made a lot of saves over the year that he didn't make last night.
We tend to take for granted the big saves he makes night after night.
Bryz may be an unhappy and frustrated Coyote right now and be looking to be traded.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:57 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
After last night's game and the Gretsky post game, he was quick to say Montoya was starting on Thurs.
I think Gretzky just read SI's power rankings:

Quote:
Who's the real Al Montoya? The one who made the most of his NHL debut by stopping 23 shots while shutting out the Avs? Or the one who coughed up six goals to the Kings on 32 shots? If Wayne Gretzky's a smart coach -- jury remains out -- he'll sit Ilya Bryzgalov the rest of the way and give former first-rounder Montoya a chance to define himself.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ngs/index.html

Question - is the jury really still out?

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:10 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ngs/index.html

Question - is the jury really still out?
Only if you're a journalist who might want to interview him, or anyone else in the organization, at some point.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
yotesrock

That aint nothin new, any time the YOTES get a decent goalie they go trade him off, and have NOTHING stupid, stupid move if it'll happen

yotesrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:10 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
He is also getting better at protecting the puck and buying time without turning it over on the boards with his head up. He almost always passes to the point now. If he could start to buy an extra second and wait for a forward to get open, he could really mature as a set up man. Of course, he would need his line mates to work to get open when they see him hanging on to the puck.

Old
04-08-2009, 11:11 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Half truth, half bluster.

Hanzal isn't going anywhere. From the 40 or so games I've seen this year, he's no less than the second or third most valuable Coyote. He's a young Rod Brind'amour.

On the other hand. Bryz has had an awful year. More than anyone else, he is responsible for the team not making the playoffs. I believe upgrading the goaltending is the number one job for Don Maloney in the off season. There was a expanded deal discussed to trade Bryz (and Carcillo) to the Flyers at the trade deadline for Biron and Lupul (and Upshall) but it fell through because the Coyotes could not flip Biron. EJ Hradek had this on NHL Live.

Goaltending possibilities for next year? How about Nikolai Khabibulin? That would be a popular move and a good hockey decision. Another possibility might be Jaroslav Halak from Montreal. He's got no future behind Price. Manny Fernandez or Marty Biron could be possible 1-2 years stopgaps but at the end of the day, Maloney will have to spend a high draft pick (Calgary's 1st or Coyotes #2) on a goaltender of the future.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:23 PM
carcillo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

Hanzal isn't going anywhere. From the 40 or so games I've seen this year, he's no less than the second or third most valuable Coyote. He's a young Rod Brind'amour.

On the other hand. Bryz has had an awful year. More than anyone else, he is responsible for the team not making the playoffs. I believe upgrading the goaltending is the number one job for Don Maloney in the off season. There was a expanded deal discussed to trade Bryz (and Carcillo) to the Flyers at the trade deadline for Biron and Lupul (and Upshall) but it fell through because the Coyotes could not flip Biron. EJ Hradek had this on NHL Live.

Goaltending possibilities for next year? How about Nikolai Khabibulin? That would be a popular move and a good hockey decision. Another possibility might be Jaroslav Halak from Montreal. He's got no future behind Price. Manny Fernandez or Marty Biron could be possible 1-2 years stopgaps but at the end of the day, Maloney will have to spend a high draft pick (Calgary's 1st or Coyotes #2) on a goaltender of the future.
I think a high draft pick would be well worth it for a good goaltender. I like Halak a lot. I think he's got major potential, I'd love to have him here. However, with the year Price has had, I'm not sure Montreal would be willing to part with Halak. Especially if Price flakes out again and Halak comes up big in the playoffs for them. Hmmmm I wonder how hard it would be to get them to part with Price...

Old
04-09-2009, 12:08 AM
yakko

Quote:
On the other hand. Bryz has had an awful year. More than anyone else, he is responsible for the team not making the playoffs.
He has remarkable numbers for a guy primarily responsible for dragging the team down. If you remember, during the nose dive the team could not score. Even before that nose dive, they were an offensively challenged team that lived on winning low scoring games. The Coyotes defense must have been elite to cover up for such an awful year from Bryzgalov.

Quote:
There was a expanded deal discussed to trade Bryz (and Carcillo) to the Flyers at the trade deadline for Biron and Lupul (and Upshall) but it fell through because the Coyotes could not flip Biron. EJ Hradek had this on NHL Live.
If that is true, it would have left the Coyotes with nothing for goal tending. The rumor was that they were going to flip a goalie, but did not involve Bryzgalov being moved.

Quote:
Goaltending possibilities for next year? How about Nikolai Khabibulin? That would be a popular move and a good hockey decision.
I guess he might consider it now that there is no IHL teams to run after.

Quote:
Marty Biron
Biron is not an upgrade over Bryzgalov.

Old
04-09-2009, 12:14 AM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:

Anybody who wants Biron over Bryzgalov needs to be taken to the streets of Philadelphia and SHOT.

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 12:14 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
No more goalie shenanigans, please.

Does anyone really want to go through the endless goalie carousel we went through again? Remember, it was so bad that Auld and Abiescher were signed to be potential starters.

Stick with Bryz. Getting Bryz on waivers was one of the best things to happen to this franchise.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:28 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Bryzgalov is a badass. It's the rest of the organization that needs a serious change. I like Don Maloney, I love Shane Doan, and I can handle Jovo. Wayne Gretzky, Ulf Samuelsson, Grant Fuhr and the rest, however, need to take a hike.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:33 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcillo13 View Post
I think a high draft pick would be well worth it for a good goaltender. I like Halak a lot. I think he's got major potential, I'd love to have him here. However, with the year Price has had, I'm not sure Montreal would be willing to part with Halak. Especially if Price flakes out again and Halak comes up big in the playoffs for them. Hmmmm I wonder how hard it would be to get them to part with Price...
With Backstrom inked in Minn, what about Harding?

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:42 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotes2009 View Post
With Backstrom inked in Minn, what about Harding?
I'm always nervous taking a Minnesota goalie. It's such a defensive system that it's almost impossible NOT to succeed between the pipes and the Coyotes don't play that system (thank god).

Stick with Bryz, in a few years when this team is really good, Bryz will be one of the top goalies in the league!

As for Hanzal, c'mon how ******** are these people?! Hanzal is so not going anywhere!!

Last edited by Sinurgy: 04-09-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Rickety Cricket

Please trade Hanzal

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 06:43 AM
carcillo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
As for Hanzal, c'mon how ******** are these people?! Hanzal is so not going anywhere!!
I love Hanzal, don't want him to leave. I'm just saying, if a good enough deal came along I would imagine that they'd take it. Nothing is sacred in this organization. Except TGO apparently...

Old
04-09-2009, 10:21 AM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Please trade Hanzal
Mr. Thornton, is that you?

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 01:35 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Please trade Hanzal
Good one...

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcillo13 View Post
I love Hanzal, don't want him to leave. I'm just saying, if a good enough deal came along I would imagine that they'd take it. Nothing is sacred in this organization. Except TGO apparently...
Well yeah that can be said about pretty much anyone. The point is, barring a gross overpayment, the Coyotes would be stupid to trade Hanzal!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 05:57 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Please trade Hanzal
Not happening.

Joe's got to deal with him 6-8 times a year until he retires or he leaves San Jose.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 07:25 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
He has remarkable numbers for a guy primarily responsible for dragging the team down. If you remember, during the nose dive the team could not score. Even before that nose dive, they were an offensively challenged team that lived on winning low scoring games. The Coyotes defense must have been elite to cover up for such an awful year from Bryzgalov.
You been watching? Game after game, he lets in big goals, bad goals and all kinds of goals in between. Earlier this year Gretzky called him out time and time again in public. He's certainly played better in the past but this year has been a disaster, And this ain't just me talking, I've heard this from inside the Coyotes organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post

If that is true, it would have left the Coyotes with nothing for goal tending. The rumor was that they were going to flip a goalie, but did not involve Bryzgalov being moved.
Did you even read my note? I didn't make this up. EJ Hradek laid out this trade on NHL Live the day before the trading deadline. I don't know what "flip" involved but I suspect it meant the Coyotes would have gotten a goaltender back from somewhere else.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 07:37 PM
yakko

Quote:
You been watching? Game after game, he lets in big goals, bad goals and all kinds of goals in between. Earlier this year Gretzky called him out time and time again in public. He's certainly played better in the past but this year has been a disaster, And this ain't just me talking, I've heard this from inside the Coyotes organization.
No, I don't watch.

Did you read my post? Are you actually going to refute anything I said? Or are you just going to lean on your assertion and the statement that your assertion is confirmed "from inside the Coyotes organization."

Yes, I have been watching. He could use help on his lateral mobility, but that is not new. I also know that Gretzky called him out mid-season, but I do not agree with Gretzky very often anyway.

Bryzgalov is not an elite goal tender. He is a solid starter. He also carries a salary that is at least reasonable, if not cheap, for a solid starter. The odds of finding an upgrade in the off-season via trade or free agency is pretty close to nil. Biron is not an upgrade.

If the team gives up on Bryzgalov now, after his first full season as a starter, they are likely to end up worse off than they would be keeping him. Have you read other posts? Do you want to end up with another goalie corps of marginal backups? If you do not agree, I would love to hear a scenario where the Coyotes would improve without either overpaying or just hoping they can draft a goalie. Goalies generally take a while to develop, so getting a starter in the draft is incredibly unlikely.