HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Bryz, Hanzal Gone?

Old
04-10-2009, 02:42 PM
carcillo13

vCash: 500
Bryz gives me indigestion. If he's starting, I know I need to take my Prilosec before I go to the game...

Why? I never know which Bryz is going to show up on any given night. Is he going to be on his game tonight or will he give up his famous soft goal or two in the first? Will he be so frustrated with himself for being out of position and allowing a goal that he almost knocks out the league leading shot blocker again during his goalie tantrum? And if Bryz gives ME indigestion, imagine how his teammates feel... How willing do you think that Michalek wouldn've been last night to put his body on the line to block a shot in front of Bryz had Bryz started?

Goaltenders are a curious bunch and yes, they all have their moments of crap play. And when Bryz is on, he's great. But he's off far more than he's on, IMO. He was the same way in Anaheim. Oh, he had some glorious moments as a Duck, don't get me wrong.... But I've never been a Bryz fan. I wasn't a fan of his when he was in Anaheim, I wasn't happy when we claimed him off waivers and I'm still not happy with him. But I tolerate him... He's the starting goalie for my favorite team. I cheer for him when he does well and I try not to scream profanities too loudly when he screws up. That's about all I can give him. Each to their own I guess...

carcillo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 06:04 PM
theoriginal55

With a team that has a payroll like the Yotes, one of the quickest ways to move up is to latch on to a hot tender. Bryz was actually very steady to me, kept alot of games close. What he didn't do was "steal" very many games for us. You know, the ones where the goalie "stood on his head", as they say. For a team like the Coyotes to be succesful, we need a goalie that is the best player on the team.

theoriginal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 06:16 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal55 View Post
With a team that has a payroll like the Yotes, one of the quickest ways to move up is to latch on to a hot tender. Bryz was actually very steady to me, kept alot of games close. What he didn't do was "steal" very many games for us. You know, the ones where the goalie "stood on his head", as they say. For a team like the Coyotes to be succesful, we need a goalie that is the best player on the team.
Seeing most of the games, I disagree completely. He stole games despite the ineptness of the team in front of him. Sure he had his fair share of off games, but the team in front of him didn't make his job easy.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:40 PM
AzYotes18

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
Seeing most of the games, I disagree completely. He stole games despite the ineptness of the team in front of him. Sure he had his fair share of off games, but the team in front of him didn't make his job easy.
I agree completely. Doan was on the radio today on 910 saying that we need more offensive power because Bryz feels like if he lets in two goals, game over. I kept thinking we need to tweak the blue line, but Doan makes a point, we need more offensive power so if a team scores 1-2 goals, we are still in the game...How many times this season did the Yotes get shut out? More than any other team? Close to it?

AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:40 AM

This thread is almost going off into a new thread entirely about our goaltending, but there is great discussion none the less.

I think the ideal situation is to go with Bryz & Montoya next year, slowly integrating Montoya to see if what we've seen in this brief sampling is that he has legit NHL potential. Then make the move either next season if Montoya takes over, or if they are ready to make the change with him and find a good return for Bryz.

I personally don't rate Bryz as lowly as some people on here do, but I don't think he's among the elite in the league either. He's a goalie that will not carry you into the playoffs by himself, but few goalies are that caliber. He is a goalie that can take a good team into the playoffs and even win a series, which puts him in the above average category to me. Out of the 30 starters in the league, I would put him in the top 15 rather than the bottom 15...however that is not said in context of who those 15 goalies above him would be, or if there would indeed be more than 15 above him.

I do get a funny feeling that Montoya might end up being a steal in that Sjostrom trade, but I want to see him at the NHL for a full season before concluding that. There is some great marketing potential in this market for Montoya too.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:39 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

sorry, but a fresh new coaching staff will do wonders for our goaltending, blueline and offensive output. I have full faith in Bryzgolov, he does give up some stinkers (cough cough St Louis Game) A fresh new coaching staff (notice I say staff not entirely the head coach) I think could breath fresh air into a sale lockeroom that is so acustum to a loosing culture. i.e. the Cardinals.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Of course he's inconsistant, it's his first season as a number one goaltender.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
There is some great marketing potential in this market for Montoya too.
There aren't a whole lot of Cubans in Arizona. There are a lot of Michigan fans, though.

Old
04-12-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
There aren't a whole lot of Cubans in Arizona. There are a lot of Michigan fans, though.
Cuban's yes, but it is a Latino name that could be marketed, that was a point early on during his draft year -- it's the same point that is often made about Gomez, and he's from Alaska. I think the Latino players in the league have more drawing potential in the Southwestern states, but to each their own if you disagree with that.

Old
04-12-2009, 02:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Cuban's yes, but it is a Latino name that could be marketed, that was a point early on during his draft year -- it's the same point that is often made about Gomez, and he's from Alaska. I think the Latino players in the league have more drawing potential in the Southwestern states, but to each their own if you disagree with that.
Gomez is from Alaska but his family is of Mexican heritage. I really don't think you're going to sell a Mexican population on a Cuban star, anymore than you would a Spaniard. I mean, I might have a soft spot for an American player, but I'm not really going to have any extra love for Scottsman just becuase he's white and speaks English. I don't know, I just don't think Cuba has much of a bearing on Mexicans. I don't really know, though. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

Old
04-12-2009, 04:50 PM
MP

As I recall, there are some fairly vicious soccer rivalries among Latino nations, and I may be wrong, but Mexico/Cuba just might be one of them. They'd have to do a hell of a lot of research just to avoid having it blow up in their face.

Plus, I can't say I'm fond of the idea of trying to convince Spanish-speaking Arizonans to watch the Coyotes because "one of their own," if only in the most general sense, is on the roster. It's transparent, it carries more than a hint of racial stereotyping, and moreover it's embarrassing. I'm all for trying to expand the fanbase and include people who previously never thought twice about hockey, but the racial undertones implicit in marketing Montoya's ethnicity make me uneasy.

If he turns out to be the Coyotes' future in net, that will be reason enough to feature him prominently in marketing campaigns, and prospective fans of whatever racial background will come to their own conclusions about him.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Bandit34

I'm mexican and I could really care less if I have "one of my own" on the team.

Bandit34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:01 PM

I stand corrected then.

I still think a non-anglo name is more marketable if it's Latino in our market, but whatever. Hockey is known to be a very "white" sport, but I'm not trying to make this about race. I think it's good when the racial diversity in the league increases because there is a chance it may draw someone's attention because they see someone they can culturally identify with.

There isn't much in terms of solid marketing of this team that I ever see anyway, so it doesn't really matter much. Other than a few billboards around town, the majority of the marketing is done during the games (go figure!). It's like playing car adverts in a car dealership -- it does nothing to bring you in the door but it may inform you on the product.

Old
04-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
There isn't much in terms of solid marketing of this team that I ever see anyway, so it doesn't really matter much. Other than a few billboards around town, the majority of the marketing is done during the games (go figure!). It's like playing car adverts in a car dealership -- it does nothing to bring you in the door but it may inform you on the product.
More reason for us to have called up Spina at some point during the year.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
More reason for us to have called up Spina at some point during the year.
I agree, if there had been any injuries to forwards down to the end of the season then Spina would have been a nice call-up. If I recall correctly, he had a really strong finish last year which would have been even more justified to recall him.

Old
04-13-2009, 01:09 AM
AzYotes18

I think Spina will get his turn, I think after the trade there where just too many guys on the roster, they were healthy scratching 6 guys a night.

A local boy is one that could draw crowds..maybe? Guess it depends on how good he plays.

From a conversation with Don Maloney that I was at, DM said that he doesn't think that Montoya is ready to be a back up yet, he said he is still going to shop around for a backup goalie, doesn't want to put all his eggs in one basket, I agree...he can still try out over the summer for the job, but we have to go into next season with someone that has more experience.

If you combine Bryz (who has 1 year as a starter, and a rookie goalie...yikes..that's a little dangerous)
I am a huge fan of the Cubano but he needs more time to show DM that he is ready. He kicked ass no doubt in the last few, he was awesome, but I think I agree with DM.

AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:20 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzYotes18 View Post
From a conversation with Don Maloney that I was at, DM said that he doesn't think that Montoya is ready to be a back up yet, he said he is still going to shop around for a backup goalie, doesn't want to put all his eggs in one basket, I agree...he can still try out over the summer for the job, but we have to go into next season with someone that has more experience.

Perhaps they will do a move similar to last year. Grab some guys who have been chewed up and spit out like Auld and Aebischer.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:06 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzYotes18 View Post
A local boy is one that could draw crowds..maybe? Guess it depends on how good he plays.
Personally I couldn't care less. But then again, I wasn't born here.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:40 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Personally I couldn't care less. But then again, I wasn't born here.
The players that are the best qualified to make the team should be the only consideration.
After that, marketing takes over and does their thing - not before.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Perhaps they will do a move similar to last year. Grab some guys who have been chewed up and spit out like Auld and Aebischer.
I disagree. I think we've seen enough of Montoya that if (still a big if) he continues to show strong, solid play in training camp, he could be the backup to Bryz all season. (If not Montoya then Tordjman). I'd rather pay a guy a low salary 700-800 to be the backup goalie than bring in a more veteran guy at $1.75 or 2M. That extra million could the be used to acquire a solid No. 1 center (say replace Rhino and his salary with a guy worth 10 extra goals and 25 extra points). Montoya was drafted 5 years ago - its now or never. An extra year in the minors is a step back ...a step towards a career in oblivion.

Trust me, our very limited funds are better spent on offence right now, than in goal. Would I rather have Brodeur, sure, but its all about priorities and making do with the limited budget the Yotes have. Number one priority is more goals.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:19 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
The players that are the best qualified to make the team should be the only consideration.
After that, marketing takes over and does their thing - not before.
Spina is San Antonio's highest scorer. So he's got two reasons to merit a cup of coffee.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:19 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
I disagree. I think we've seen enough of Montoya that if (still a big if) he continues to show strong, solid play in training camp, he could be the backup to Bryz. (If not Montoya then Tordjman). I'd rather pay a guy a low salary 700-800 to be the backyup than bring in a more veteran guy at 1.75 or 2M. That extra million could the be used to acquire a solid No. 1 center (say replace Rhino and his salary with a guy worth 10 extra goals and 25 extra points). Montoya was drafted 5 years ago - its now or never. An extra year in teh monirs is a step back...a step towards a career oblivion.

Trust me, our very limited funds are better spent on offence than in goal right now.
If they do bring in a veteran backup it's going to be a 500k-700k guy at most.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
If they do bring in a veteran backup it's going to be a 500k-700k guy at most.
What kind of backup will 500K-700K buy next year? Who's on the list of cheap UFA goalies?

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote