HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal: Zherdev on Draft Day

Old
04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Proposal: Zherdev on Draft Day

I posted this on the TR board as well, thought I'd get all of your take on it. Assuming Duchene is still on the board, would you trade:

NYR 1st '09 plus the RFA rights to Zherdev

for either LAK 1st '09 or OTT 1st '09?

I love Zherdev's skill, but I don't think he has the desire/drive/whatever to succeed on a Torts coached team. Am I the only one who thinks he's been a bit sulky lately? That, combined with whatever raise he is going to be looking for lead me to believe that we might be better of trading him.

Would you do it to get Duchene? The prospect of keeping he and Grachev together for a long time is really intriguing. Would you rather let him sign an offer sheet and stockpile the picks, or would be better served trying to nab a "premium" pick?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
NYR Viper

While I really like Duchene I think that may be a bit much. I mean Zherdev was a very high first round pick and has already put up pretty good numbers in the NHL. I would rather hope someone gives him an offer sheet where the Rangers can get a couple 1st rounders.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I would consider it. More to LA than OTT though. It's a matter if Torts thinks that Zherdev can get his head into a full season or if he thinks that Z is bound to stay on the crap list for the rest of his career.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:25 PM
squishy

I'd do it, but LA or Ottawa wouldn't.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I posted this on the TR board as well, thought I'd get all of your take on it. Assuming Duchene is still on the board, would you trade:

I love Zherdev's skill, but I don't think he has the desire/drive/whatever to succeed on a Torts coached team. Am I the only one who thinks he's been a bit sulky lately? That, combined with whatever raise he is going to be looking for lead me to believe that we might be better of trading him.

Would you do it to get Duchene? The prospect of keeping he and Grachev together for a long time is really intriguing. Would you rather let him sign an offer sheet and stockpile the picks, or would be better served trying to nab a "premium" pick?
Tough question. I like Zherdev a lot but you are right that he has seemed a bit low. He doesn't seem to stick handle as much but I don't know if I want him gone unless he asks for too much. Do you really think Duchene is worth our 1st AND Zherdev? I don't know much about this prospect but Zherdev is a proven player with a huge upside. I don't want to him gone.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post

Without hesitation.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I'd do it, but LA or Ottawa wouldn't.
This.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
94now

No. It's a deep draft. Our 1st could get us an elite player, while with our luck the player we'd get for Nickel Eye could be another Brendl.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Cherepanisimov

Duchene won't drop past the third pick.
And what is your plan for next year? Would you expect Duchene to step right in and replace Zherdev's production, as an 18-year-old? We will either have a pick around #20 or anywhere from #9-#14 if we miss the playoffs, and the difference between a player like a Ferraro if we kept our pick, and a player like Paajarvi-Svensson if we traded up to around #7, is not Zherdev.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We should be happy that Grachev is producing as much as Duchene and not overextend ourselves.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Tough question. I like Zherdev a lot but you are right that he has seemed a bit low. He doesn't seem to stick handle as much but I don't know if I want him gone unless he asks for too much. Do you really think Duchene is worth our 1st AND Zherdev? I don't know much about this prospect but Zherdev is a proven player with a huge upside. I don't want to him gone.
He doesn't stick handle because the coach doesn't want him too. There is fear in his game now after being benched numerous times.

We did the same thing with Kovalev. Players like Zherdev,Kovalev, you need to let them do their thing.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I look at it this way:

I am in favor of letting Zherdev walk from an offer sheet in which we get a 2nd and a 3rd in return.

So, if the Rangers would offer say the 14th pick, and a second rounder to move up to say 5 or 6, i would do that in a heartbeat

I love Z's offensive abilities but his attitude and laziness are contradictory to the direction this team want to go in. Get what you can for him, plus use the money to sign Staal to a new contract before he hits RFA status

I know a lot of people love him on here but I am not willing to go through another Kovalev situation

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Bury Your Head

Kinda figured that by the end of this season, a lot of people would be sick of Zherdev.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
We should be happy that Grachev is producing as much as Duchene and not overextend ourselves.
Right, tell me how assembling a team with one good player goes.

Old
04-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Right, tell me how assembling a team with one good player goes.
One good player. yeah okay. Im not sure why im even meriting this with a response but.

Dubi
Cally
Gomez
Lundqvist
Anisimov
Staal
Sanguinetti
Del Zotto

are all going to be around for a very, very long time. That crew is perfectly fine to build around if we didnt have deadweight contracts filling us to the cap max.

Old
04-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
One good player. yeah okay. Im not sure why im even meriting this with a response but.

Dubi
Cally
Gomez
Lundqvist
Anisimov
Staal
Sanguinetti
Del Zotto

are all going to be around for a very, very long time. That crew is perfectly fine to build around if we didnt have deadweight contracts filling us to the cap max.
So Zherdev isn't even on your list, yet going after Duchene is "overextending" ourselves?

Old
04-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
So Zherdev isn't even on your list, yet going after Duchene is "overextending" ourselves?
When I say "very long" im meaning next 4 years or so. Im unsure on whether or not he will still be here. Dealing him for an upgraded pick, however in a deep draft where a player picked at #15 has almost as good a shot at being a star as #5 is unwise.

I think we can get more for Zherdev than a trade-up. Maybe im wrong. I always saw Naslund as the one leaving on draft day for a pick.

Old
04-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

LA or OTT are not going to be in a position to get Duchene. He will be the #3 pick. Ottawa is going to get around the 9th pick, and Los Angelos will be getting around the #6 pick.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
When I say "very long" im meaning next 4 years or so. Im unsure on whether or not he will still be here. Dealing him for an upgraded pick, however in a deep draft where a player picked at #15 has almost as good a shot at being a star as #5 is unwise.

I think we can get more for Zherdev than a trade-up. Maybe im wrong. I always saw Naslund as the one leaving on draft day for a pick.
Naslund bags a mid-round pick at best. My thought process in this proposal completely hinges on Duchene being around at #6 or #7. I'm not sure how realistic that is, but I've seen him go there in a couple of mocks.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Absolutely...in a heart beat

But realistically I don't think LA or Ottawa would take him. Maybe Sather could catch Bryan Murray napping and convince him to take Zherdev and put him with Spezza or HEatley or whoever. Trading Zherdev or letting him go for a good offer sheet is what should be done considering he isn't going to fit with Torts in the long run.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:53 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
Duchene won't drop past the third pick.
And what is your plan for next year? Would you expect Duchene to step right in and replace Zherdev's production, as an 18-year-old? We will either have a pick around #20 or anywhere from #9-#14 if we miss the playoffs, and the difference between a player like a Ferraro if we kept our pick, and a player like Paajarvi-Svensson if we traded up to around #7, is not Zherdev.
Here's the thing though. If we don't dump one of our big contracts this summer, we likely won't be able to sign both Zherdev and Antropov. So we may lose Zherdev anyway.

If he gets an offer sheet from another team, I seriously doubt it will be high enough to garner us 2 1st round picks (http://www.nhlscap.com/offer_sheets.htm). At most a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. More likely a 1st and 3rd. If we don't plan to resign him, we might get better value by trading his rights than by letting someone else sign him to an offer sheet.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Stepan Razor

I'll take a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Z to walk and free up the $$ to sign Antropov

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:00 PM
eco's bones

Naslund doesn't get us a 1st round anything. Maybe a late 2nd if we're lucky. And still the main problem would be the same--we're hampered by three atrocious contracts--Drury, Redden and Gomez. Any guesses on what any of them might bring on draft day? I'd be open to late round picks.

Zherdev has the most talent of probably any forward in our organization. He eerily reminds of Kovalev though. One could see him going somewhere else where he's second or third banana behind some guys who are really good--say Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin and then really lighting it up--which was Kovalev's MO for a long time.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:44 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Naslund doesn't get us a 1st round anything. Maybe a late 2nd if we're lucky. And still the main problem would be the same--we're hampered by three atrocious contracts--Drury, Redden and Gomez. Any guesses on what any of them might bring on draft day? I'd be open to late round picks.

Zherdev has the most talent of probably any forward in our organization. He eerily reminds of Kovalev though. One could see him going somewhere else where he's second or third banana behind some guys who are really good--say Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin and then really lighting it up--which was Kovalev's MO for a long time.
I think Naslund and Rozsival should be gotten rid of first but if thereis a good offer on the table for Zherdev like a 1st 09, 2nd 09 and 3rd 09 then I think it makes sense to go for it. This is after Rozsival and Naslund are traded because if they are not then there is no point as Sather is obviously thinking this team should make the playoffs next season.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote