HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Karl Alzner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2009, 08:40 AM
  #26
Selanne08*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
I KNEW I should put 'yes I have watched Green play' in there because I just KNEW some moron was going to come along and exclaim 'OMG HVE U EVN WTCHED HIM PLEI??'.

He IS shaky in the back and he's more antsy to get back up in the rush. He often gets caught being too far in the attacking zone and leading to awkward odd man rushes.
u made me lul

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:01 AM
  #27
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
The Caps haven't had the cap room to bring him up since Pothier returned from LTIR.

That will change next season, especially with the bonus cushion back.
I'm curious about this part of your statement. Are you referring to pushing the cap hit (re: bonus) to the following season (2010/11)? Would that be wise considering the cap is expect to be considering lower that season? Or maybe I've got the wrong understanding of how this part of the cap works?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:10 AM
  #28
gsx capsfan
Registered User
 
gsx capsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LaPlata, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gsx capsfan Send a message via Yahoo to gsx capsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
I KNEW I should put 'yes I have watched Green play' in there because I just KNEW some moron was going to come along and exclaim 'OMG HVE U EVN WTCHED HIM PLEI??'.

He IS shaky in the back and he's more antsy to get back up in the rush. He often gets caught being too far in the attacking zone and leading to awkward odd man rushes.
He is far from shaky in his own end. Is he as solid as Chara, no. But he is a very good DMan. The reason I ask the question if you actually watch him play, is most people go off exactly what I said, stats and highlights.
Everyone jumps on the bandwagon of Green's defense sucks because he is so offensively minded, and that very well could win him the Norris this year. I don't think he should by the way.
So he doesn't block shots, and I'll bet more then 75% of his turnovers come in the offensive zone. He is a much better DMan the HF boards, or any other fan group (outside Caps fans) give him credit for.

gsx capsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:22 AM
  #29
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I'm curious about this part of your statement. Are you referring to pushing the cap hit (re: bonus) to the following season (2010/11)? Would that be wise considering the cap is expect to be considering lower that season? Or maybe I've got the wrong understanding of how this part of the cap works?
Because he (likely) has a lot of bonuses that he won't be hitting. Granted nobody knows for sure, but really the only type of bonus I can see him getting is something related to games played assuming he's got something in there for it.

But I agree with your point, teams are going to have to be very conservative with the cushion next season.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:24 AM
  #30
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx capsfan View Post
He is far from shaky in his own end. Is he as solid as Chara, no. But he is a very good DMan. The reason I ask the question if you actually watch him play, is most people go off exactly what I said, stats and highlights.
Everyone jumps on the bandwagon of Green's defense sucks because he is so offensively minded, and that very well could win him the Norris this year. I don't think he should by the way.
So he doesn't block shots, and I'll bet more then 75% of his turnovers come in the offensive zone. He is a much better DMan the HF boards, or any other fan group (outside Caps fans) give him credit for.
Hate to be a broken record, as well, but the Caps allow fewer goals and score more goals (even strength) while he's on the ice than the Wings do with Lidstrom or the Bruins do with Chara. Certainly the quality of competition has something to do with that, but you don't lead your team in minutes and have a GA that low without being an effective defensive player.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:36 AM
  #31
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Because he (likely) has a lot of bonuses that he won't be hitting. Granted nobody knows for sure, but really the only type of bonus I can see him getting is something related to games played assuming he's got something in there for it.
ah, yes that makes sense. Thanks.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
  #32
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
Well all the people saying Green should be D man of the year.. He's 4th in the league in giveaways and 76th in the league in Blocked Shots. Why doesn't he just become a winger? He's not that good on D.
If your intent was to make the OP look better.... bravo.

Otherwise if you want to actually have a discussion on Mike Green/Norris, there's about a million threads on the NHL board with a variety of opinions including yours with responses to your position.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:15 AM
  #33
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
If your intent was to make the OP look better.... bravo.

Otherwise if you want to actually have a discussion on Mike Green/Norris, there's about a million threads on the NHL board with a variety of opinions including yours with responses to your position.
Sure. I was just saying that Washington could use a solid defender like Alzner in their system in the next year or two.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
  #34
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,847
vCash: 500
Even if you're icing Bobby Orr out there, every team needs six defensemen on a nightly basis. The legitimacy of Mike Green's Norris eligibility, in addition to being well documented in threads all over the place at HF, is also thoroughly irrelevant to consideration of Karl Alzner.

Mike Green, either as rounded defenseman or offenseman, Norris defender or anything but, has no bearing on the other five roster spots on the defense corps that are dressed every game.

Relevant grist for discussion might be the depth of talent on Washington's blue line, not the caliber of its top end. The character of the top end doesn't push out a prospect; rather, depth does so.

To wit, Washington's defense corps has no depth of quality defensemen, hence the original poster's entire premise is faulty. There is room all over the place for Alzner to make the club.


Last edited by Drake1588: 04-07-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
  #35
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
I KNEW I should put 'yes I have watched Green play' in there because I just KNEW some moron was going to come along and exclaim 'OMG HVE U EVN WTCHED HIM PLEI??'.

He IS shaky in the back and he's more antsy to get back up in the rush. He often gets caught being too far in the attacking zone and leading to awkward odd man rushes.
Totally off topic, but you're calling people morons...laughable.

You're speaking as though you've never seen more than a highlight of Green. Goals don't get scored much for the opposition when Green is on the ice. Do your homework and educate yourself. Your description of Green was correct...last season. Next...

On topic...Alzner is as close to untouchable as they come. The offer would have to be over the top and even then I think the Caps say no. He's going to be a top pair guy and he's going to be cheap for a while. That's a combination that the Caps need with the salary cap.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:31 AM
  #36
peanutvendor
Registered User
 
peanutvendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
ive never really seen alzner play, but if he had to be traded tampa may be interested. something along the lines of mihalik+helenius for alzner+late pick? that is if they arent set on varlamov and would like to add some goalie depth, and take on the "boom or bust" risk mihalik is supposed to be.

just a thought.

peanutvendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
  #37
backs4mvp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burlington, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,909
vCash: 500
One of Alzner's main strengths is his character. It's what the caps organization loves in it's players, even if he didn't have the upside he has, he still wouldn't get moved because of his character.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
  #38
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutvendor View Post
ive never really seen alzner play, but if he had to be traded tampa may be interested. something along the lines of mihalik+helenius for alzner+late pick? that is if they arent set on varlamov and would like to add some goalie depth, and take on the "boom or bust" risk mihalik is supposed to be.

just a thought.
Yeah, uhhh no. The Lightning's 1st round pick this year is what the Caps would be looking for as a start on a return for Alzner. I know there's no way in heck that the Lightning would do that, but that's more of a statement on how valuable Alzner is to the Caps' organization. He'll be in DC next year.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
  #39
Alex28*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
I would put up Fisher and Smith for Alzner and a late pick.

Puts you guys a little close to the cap, but with Kozlov and Federov up for free agency, Fisher would help down the middle. Smith was a throw in because many Caps fans have expressed interest in him.
Change Smith to Volchenkov and you may have something. Otherwise, **** no.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:35 PM
  #40
Payaso619*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Mexico
Posts: 4,136
vCash: 500
Bieksa, 2nd for Alzner

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:53 PM
  #41
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutvendor View Post
ive never really seen alzner play, but if he had to be traded tampa may be interested. something along the lines of mihalik+helenius for alzner+late pick? that is if they arent set on varlamov and would like to add some goalie depth, and take on the "boom or bust" risk mihalik is supposed to be.

just a thought.
Meh. The Caps have better prospect depth than the Bolts in goal, no need to add there. They wouldn't give up what it would really take to get Alzner.

Which of course is moot, as Alzner isn't getting traded.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:56 PM
  #42
peanutvendor
Registered User
 
peanutvendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Meh. The Caps have better prospect depth than the Bolts in goal, no need to add there. They wouldn't give up what it would really take to get Alzner.

Which of course is moot, as Alzner isn't getting traded.
i figured it was something along those lines the way he has been talked about, but thought i would try anyways.

peanutvendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.