HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Wonder if BG is taking notice of Hossa in Hamilton

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2004, 12:11 PM

vCash: 500
Wonder if BG is taking notice of Hossa in Hamilton

13 goals in his last 17 games, and he's gone 6 straight home games with at least 1 goal...I always said that when Hossa is confident he can be very dangerous...any chance of him getting a late season call up, maybe when we've locked up a playoff spot?...Hossa-Ribeiro-Kovalev imagine that!

Anyways the kids in Hamilton are really starting to tear it up...Perezhogin has 41 points and is 4 points away from the rookie scoring leader and Higgins has 38 points, not to mention Plekanec's steady play lately...

If your like me, a lockout next year would be extra painful for us Habfans, look at all the talent we have in the minors

Old
03-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Habsolution

No chance if we're healthy. We have Bulis and Ryder on our 3rd line. Nuff said !

And it's just as well. Last time Hossa had such a hot streak in the AHL we called him up and ruined his confidence. Now Hossa needs to concentrate on the dogs playoffs, perform well and build on this for next training camp.

My 2 cents !

Old
03-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
If your like me, a lockout next year would be extra painful for us Habfans, look at all the talent we have in the minors
I don't think a lockout would hurt the habs youth whatsoever. If guys like Hossa, Hainsey, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Kastitsyn, Higgins had to play another year of non-NHL hockey I don't think it would hurt their development and maybe even make them more NHL ready when things go back to normal. Let's be honest only one or two of those guys were going to be on the big club next year anyways. I don't think we would have 4 or 5 rookies in our lineup next year, regardless.
The kids it would hurt, imo, would be Komisarek, Ryder, Ribiero, & Garon, as their progression can't take place without the NHL.
The teams that will hurt the most from a long lockout/strike, imo, are teams like the leafs who's roster has a very short shelf life. Guys like Mogilny, Roberts, Belfour, Marchment, Nolan, Domi, Fitzgerald, Leetch would probablely be gone and Sundin, Renberg, Reichel would also be gone or at least their game would be on a definate decline and with very little youth to take those players place they could be in for a tough ride.
The habs are in good shape, regardless of what happens.

Old
03-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
13 goals in his last 17 games, and he's gone 6 straight home games with at least 1 goal...I always said that when Hossa is confident he can be very dangerous...any chance of him getting a late season call up, maybe when we've locked up a playoff spot?...Hossa-Ribeiro-Kovalev imagine that!

Anyways the kids in Hamilton are really starting to tear it up...Perezhogin has 41 points and is 4 points away from the rookie scoring leader and Higgins has 38 points, not to mention Plekanec's steady play lately...

Ya i would like to see Hosa get called up too. But there isnt any room anyways. Plus having Hossa play in the minor for a full season may be a good thing. It might keep him hungry, and make him work real hard over the summer. Im sure Gaineys keeping an eye on Hossa, and doing the right thing.

I trust Gainey, i really do!

Old
03-16-2004, 12:40 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
No chance if we're healthy. We have Bulis and Ryder on our 3rd line. Nuff said !

And it's just as well. Last time Hossa had such a hot streak in the AHL we called him up and ruined his confidence. Now Hossa needs to concentrate on the dogs playoffs, perform well and build on this for next training camp.

My 2 cents !
Exactly. CJ mentioned in the Gazette today that he has never had such a good lineup and good depth to work with since he joined the club. Why bring up a good prospect to have him sit and watch when he can continue to grow and build confidence on a first place team that will count on him to be a key to their playoff run. Guys like Hossa, Perezhogin and Higgins are really starting to find their groove, and Pleks is his usual consistent self. Let them ride it out there and come into camp like Ryder did this past year.

Old
03-16-2004, 12:47 PM

I wasn't saying we should call him up, just asking if there was any chance he'd be called up as he's pretty hot, but like most of you said, there's no room

Old
03-16-2004, 01:21 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I wasn't saying we should call him up, just asking if there was any chance he'd be called up as he's pretty hot, but like most of you said, there's no room
I disagree. If he's hustling, using his body and going to the tough areas of the ice and having success, he needs a call-up. Even if it's to play on the 4th line. Remember, he's had a bumpy development process with all his injuries. To not reward him for his progress could be dangerous and could harm his confidence as well. Not every player is the same. But I trust Julien, who knows the player better than Gainey does.

Would be a nice guy to have on the 4th line though and if he catches fire, we could move him up and get rid of Dags.

Old
03-16-2004, 01:29 PM
smnhppu

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I disagree. If he's hustling, using his body and going to the tough areas of the ice and having success, he needs a call-up. Even if it's to play on the 4th line. Remember, he's had a bumpy development process with all his injuries. To not reward him for his progress could be dangerous and could harm his confidence as well.
I don't see the benefit of bringing a scorer up to play on our 4th line. Less ice time, less "key ice time". Let him go through the stretch run in Hamilton and the playoffs. He's expected to be a big part of their playoff run, let's see how that goes.

So long as the communication between management and minor league players is clear, they should have no reason to be disapointed. Besides, we have quality players who are healthy scratches right now, with a few more coming back soon. Let him fight and work hard and earn his stripes, he'll be all the better for it. IMO.

Old
03-16-2004, 02:01 PM
tritone

I think we would have one of the teams that would be LEAST affected by a lock-out. The younger the players the easier it will be for them to stay in shape. So the older teams a.k.a. (Leafs, Wings , Devils ) will pay a harder price.

Old
03-16-2004, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
I think we would have one of the teams that would be LEAST affected by a lock-out. The younger the players the easier it will be for them to stay in shape. So the older teams a.k.a. (Leafs, Wings , Devils ) will pay a harder price.
I know, i'm just saying that with a few of our propspects possibly ready to make the jump next year, it would be too bad if we couldn't see them with the Habs next year

Old
03-16-2004, 03:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I wouldn't call up Hossa, not a chance. This kid seems very fragile confidence wise, so bringing him up now could turn out to be very bad, aside from the fact that there's no room. Next year we'll see what he does at camp, but I hope he gets a spot with the team, although I hope there's a season more.

Old
03-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution

My 2 cents !
Couldn't agree more. His maturity and confidence was the concern IMO when he was sent down and he's just starting to pick it up again. No need to mess with this fragile resurection. He needs to gain confidence and find his game back, which he's obviously doing right now, but he also needs to mature, build character and learn how to keep his confidence level high, in order to avoid inconsistency. I don't think we'll see him before the next training camp. Let him get stronger mentally where the pressure is lesser.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Go Habs Go

Hossa would benefit in staying in Hamilton for the rest of the year. Some playoff experience would be good also. He'll get his chance soon enough with guys like Perreault and Juneau soon to be gone.

Old
03-17-2004, 05:59 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I wouldn't call up Hossa, not a chance. This kid seems very fragile confidence wise, so bringing him up now could turn out to be very bad, aside from the fact that there's no room. Next year we'll see what he does at camp, but I hope he gets a spot with the team, although I hope there's a season more.
Agreed. It's not like the guy is a point machine yet, and there's definitely no room this year. I think he has a moderate chance of getting regular NHL play should the right players leave. I'd like to see Dackell moved, as that would leave more room for Hossa's shot at the bigs (if he decides he wants to actually try/work). He's already past rookie status, so there's no pressure to give him a full year to prove himself. Leave him down till he's ready. No rush.

Old
03-17-2004, 02:28 PM
bopeep

I saw a Dogs game (about 4 weeks ago) where Hossa ended up with no points, but shot the puck at every opportunity. You (and DJ) just knew that it was a matter of time until they started to go in. I haven't seen a game since, but I sure have noticed Hainsey's name on the scoresheet alot lately. 2 prospects that I'm certainly very happy we haven't given up on yet.

Old
03-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I disagree. If he's hustling, using his body and going to the tough areas of the ice and having success, he needs a call-up.
He's not doing this though, so it's not an issue.

Old
03-17-2004, 02:39 PM
swiftsure1786

Hossa has all the talent in the world, he could be a very effective player. I think his attitude coming into training camp next year will be important. If he shows he wants it then he will earn a place on this team, if not well... we know where that road leads....

Old
03-17-2004, 02:44 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Maybe he'll finally be able to overcome his shaky confidence in the AHL playoffs and be our next Ryder next season...

In Hossa I trust

Old
03-17-2004, 03:08 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftsure1786
Hossa has all the talent in the world, he could be a very effective player. I think his attitude coming into training camp next year will be important. If he shows he wants it then he will earn a place on this team, if not well... we know where that road leads....
I think that this is the reason why you let him build on his confidence down in Hamilton for the rest of the year. It's better for him to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish out of water in the big pond called the Montreal Hockey Microscope.

He likely wouldn't even get ice time these days anyway, after all they are sitting guys like Juneau, Dagenais, Dackell out, and they have all been around longer than young Hossa.

Old
03-17-2004, 05:22 PM
tritone

Quote:

Why not wait till next year. The team is playing well and we've already brought him up before only to be disappointed.

Old
03-17-2004, 06:02 PM
toughstuff

Quote:
It is very tempting for us fans to think that way but I think the best for his progession is stick in Hamilton.

Let's leave Hossa and our other great prospects in Hamilton. The dogs will have a nice challenge on their hands. Once their experience in the playoffs is done (if shorter than that of HABS) call them up and have them (Hossa,Perez,Higgins,Plecks and Hainsey) live the experience at the NHL level as spectators or possible releif.

If this happens (prospects come up after their playoff run is over), can they eventually get into a game?

Last edited by toughstuff: 03-17-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Closed Thread