HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #11, Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2009, 06:06 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
Lada selects C Vladimir Petrov.

5 time Soviet scoring leader, 2 time goal leader.

outscored both Kharlamov and Mikhailov from '69-'76 (Kharlamov was injured in a car accident in '76.)
Leopold is going to want to kill you. Nice pick! Would've taken him if I didn't have Apps and Fedorov. I still feel Petrov should go higher, but you can say that about alot of players.

Old
04-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Transplanted Caper

There are way to many Canadiens on my team. Time to go with a homer pick, although a good one in my opinion too.

Joe Primeau, C.

Old
04-09-2009, 06:12 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToskaLOL View Post
There are way to many Canadiens on my team. Time to go with a homer pick, although a good one in my opinion too.

Joe Primeau, C.
****er.

Old
04-09-2009, 06:29 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Leopold is going to want to kill you. Nice pick! Would've taken him if I didn't have Apps and Fedorov. I still feel Petrov should go higher, but you can say that about alot of players.
I thought you'd already picked Petrov. Maybe it's just me, but I think he's better than Fedorov.

Old
04-09-2009, 06:30 PM
God Bless Canada

Primeau's an excellent pick. I've had him twice, which means he was nowhere on our radar for this draft.

Anyways, the New Westminster Bruins are proud to select a talented, dynamic, aggressive and fearless offensive centre who is adept at both scoring goals (seven 40-goal seasons) and setting them up (witness a 90-assist season):

C Pat Lafontaine

Old
04-09-2009, 06:45 PM
nik jr

i think Petrov will be traded to the Boston Braves for pick 162.

Old
04-09-2009, 06:52 PM
vancityluongo
Twin Benning

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Primeau's an excellent pick. I've had him twice, which means he was nowhere on our radar for this draft.

Anyways, the New Westminster Bruins are proud to select a talented, dynamic, aggressive and fearless offensive centre who is adept at both scoring goals (seven 40-goal seasons) and setting them up (witness a 90-assist season):

C Pat Lafontaine
That's a solid, solid pick.

Old
04-09-2009, 06:58 PM
EagleBelfour

Leaf Lander select Bobby Baun

Old
04-09-2009, 06:59 PM
EagleBelfour

With our seventh selection, the 161st overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are thrill to select Center Jacques Gerard Lemaire

Stanley Cup Winner (1968, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979)
Calder Nomination (2nd)
Top-5 Lady Bing Nomination (5th)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1970, 1973)
Inducted Into Hockey Hall of Fame (1984)

Top-5 Scoring (4th, 5th)
Top-5 Goalscoring (4th)
Top-5 +/- (3rd, 5th)
Top-5 Playoff Scoring (1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th)
Top-6 Playoff Goalscoring (1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 6th)

- Lemaire scored 3 playoff overtime goal in his career
- Lemaire is only one of five players to have scored two game winning clinching Stanley Cup goals.
- Lemaire never scored under 20 goals in all of his 12 season in the NHL
- Recorded Six-30 goals season
- Tied Guy Lafleur for the most point in playoffs in the 1970's with 120
- Ultimate Hockey named Jacques Lemaire the best all-around player of the 1970's

Quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHOF
Jacques Lemaire developed his hard slapshot as a youth by working with a heavy steel puck and his shot was rated second only to Bobby Hull for speed and accuracy. He used that powerful shot to beat Tony Esposito of Chicago, keying a Montreal comeback in game 7 of the 1971 finals en route to a Stanley Cup. His strong skating and excellent checking abilities also made him one of the game's best two-way players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Jacques Lemaire played 12 incredible seasons with the Montreal Canadiens. In that time Lemaire was definitely one of the most underrated superstars in NHL history. A tremendously gifted two way center, Lemaire was never named as a NHL all star due to a glut of superstar centers during the 1970s - players such as Bobby Clarke, Phil Esposito, Gilbert Perreault and Bryan Trottier. He never won a major NHL award and he never was invited to play for Team Canada. While he never quite achieved superstar status he did help the Habs win 8 Stanley Cup championships in his 12 years!

Lemaire was an extremely clean player. He only racked up 217 PIMs in over 800 games. A tremendous skater with great anticipation skills, of all the greats who played with the Montreal dynasty of the 1970s perhaps Lemaire understood the game of hockey better than anyone.

Lemaire was also a clutch performer come playoff time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHistory.canadiens.com
EQUALLY SUCCESSFUL WITH THE PUCK AS HE WAS WITHOUT IT, JACQUES LEMAIRE, WITH 835 POINTS OVER 12 SEASONS, SITS SEVENTH ON THE CANADIENS’ ALL-TIME LIST.

A strong skater and creative playmaker, “Coco”, as he was known to his teammates, also had a booming shot that he used to great effect.

Come playoff time, Lemaire turned it up a notch. He picked up 13 points in as many games, serving notice that he could be relied upon as a clutch performer and playing an important role in the first of his eventual eight Stanley Cup Championships.

His speed, anticipation and dogged determination made him a standout defensive forward, but Lemaire was no slouch when it came to his offensive production.

His speed, anticipation and dogged determination made him a standout defensive forward, but Lemaire was no slouch when it came to his offensive production.

XXXXX had the fastest hands and quickest release around. Lafleur played purely by instinct and reflex; there was no telling where he’d go. Jacques Lemaire was the dependable and reliable one who did the heavy lifting. He won the faceoffs, dug the puck out of the scrums and fed his more spectacular linemates with unerring passes that they converted in record-setting numbers.

Despite being known primarily as a defensive center, Lemaire’s regular season performances place him seventh among all Habs for both goals and points accumulated over a career. He is fifth for total assists.

His playoff numbers are even more impressive. His 139 career playoff points are second only to Jean Béliveau on the all-time list.

Last edited by EagleBelfour: 04-09-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old
04-09-2009, 07:10 PM
The Mighty Duck Man
R-E-L-A-X

Trade to announce:

To Togliatti: 162, 259, 422

To Boston: Vladimir Petrov, 269, 437

Old
04-09-2009, 07:12 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
With our seventh selection, the 161st overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are thrill to select Center Jacques Gerard Lemaire

Stanley Cup Winner (1968, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979)
Calder Nomination (2nd)
Top-5 Lady Bing Nomination (5th)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1970, 1973)
Inducted Into Hockey Hall of Fame (1984)

Top-5 Scoring (4th, 5th)
Top-5 Goalscoring (4th)
Top-5 +/- (3rd, 5th)
Top-5 Playoff Scoring (1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th)
Top-6 Playoff Goalscoring (1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 6th)

- Lemaire scored 3 playoff overtime goal in his career
- Lemaire is only one of five players to have scored two game winning clinching Stanley Cup goals.
- Lemaire never scored under 20 goals in all of his 12 season in the NHL
- Recorded Six-30 goals season
- Ultimate Hocky named Jacques Lemaire the best all-around player of the 1970's
not orr???

i think lemaire was also tied with lafleur for most total points in the playoffs during the '70s. i think both had 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
Trade to announce:

To Togliatti: 162, 259, 422

To Boston: Vladimir Petrov, 269, 437
confirmed. but if you want to leave out the 200's picks, that would be OK.

Old
04-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Leaf Lander select Bobby Baun
Shocking!

Old
04-09-2009, 07:17 PM
The Mighty Duck Man
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
not orr???

i think lemaire was also tied with lafleur for most total points in the playoffs during the '70s. i think both had 120.

confirmed. but if you want to leave out the 200's picks, that would be OK.
Nah, you didn't need to trade me Petrov, it's quite alright with me.

Old
04-09-2009, 07:18 PM
God Bless Canada

In today's headlines...

Bruins select "a difference maker"
By Dickie Dunn

The New Westminster Bruins started to piece together their second line on Thursday with the selection of centre Pat Lafontaine.
"He's a difference maker," said Bruins co-GM God Bless Canada. "There are two things I love about him. One is his offensive aggressiveness. He was fearless out there. Went into trouble areas. Took hits to make plays.
"The other thing I love, and this is important for building a second line, is his ability to thrive as both a goal scorer and a playmaker. He had seven 40-goal seasons. He also had a 90-assist season."
GBC said he and co-GM raleh were looking at several options for the second line with this pick, but they went with Lafontaine because they felt Lafontaine was the easiest player to build a line around.
Lafontaine topped 40 goals six straight times from 1987-88 to 1992-93. He was top five in points-per-game three times. And he was second in scoring in 1992-93.
"It's too bad the New York Islanders couldn't surround him with better talent," GBC said. "They were terrible in his final three years there. The only reason they made the playoffs in 1990 was because of Lafontaine. And he should have been a Hart finalist in 1990.
"Once he got to Buffalo, you saw the things he did when surrounded by talent. He went from being a great player with nothing around him to an unstoppable player with talent around him. It's too bad he ran into the knee problems from 1993 to 1995. It robbed him of a couple more top five finishes in points."
Lafontaine was a second team all-star in 1993, just months after an article in the Hockey News labelled him as the second-best player in the world, behind only Mario Lemieux.

Old
04-09-2009, 07:18 PM
nik jr

Lada selects C Jean Ratelle.

'72 pearson winner

3rd highest scoring player of the '70s, behind P Esposito and Clarke.

4th highest scoring player in the playoffs in the '70s, behind Lafleur, Lemaire and Esposito.

7 times in the top 10 in scoring

2 way player

Old
04-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Kyle McMahon

With the 163rd pick, Hampton Roads proudly selects LW Syd Howe.

Mr. Everything for the Red Wings, the original Howe is one of the most underappreciated stars of his era. He retired as the NHL's all time scoring leader.

Quote:
Legends of Hockey:

Howe was an all-around player, shifting between left wing and centre as needed, killing penalties and dropping back to play defence in a pinch. Those who watched the team closely reported that Howe's ice time with Detroit would constitute an amazing total.

Old
04-09-2009, 07:22 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Lada selects C Jean Ratelle.

'72 pearson winner

3rd highest scoring player of the '70s, behind P Esposito and Clarke.

4th highest scoring player in the playoffs in the '70s, behind Lafleur, Lemaire and Esposito.

7 times in the top 10 in scoring

2 way player
If we didn't pick Lafontaine, we would have gone with Ratelle. Excellent pick for late in the sixth round.

Old
04-09-2009, 07:25 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post

Mr. Everything for the Red Wings, the original Howe is one of the most underappreciated stars of his era. He retired as the NHL's all time scoring leader.
i thought for a long time about picking him. but i wanted a C (i wasn't sure how much Howe played C) and i thought maybe i could get him later.

very underrated

Last edited by nik jr: 04-09-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old
04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
pitseleh

Damn it, I was hoping to get Howe with my next pick.

Old
04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Wait... Malone? I'm not seeing him at sihrhockey.org or hockey-reference.com as having played in the cup finals at all. Are you confusing it with another year? I don't know of another online source I can look at from work (loh.net doesn't work here) and will have to wait until I can get home to check "The Trail", but assuming you're correct, I'll have to rethink that, and reread the series as well. Malone very well may have been better in the finals. Foyston likely was too; however, Newsy's dominance of the first round was likely still too much to overcome.

* If Malone is outright missing in 1919, I'd consider that major.
Malone did play in the 1919 NHL playoffs for Montreal, but does not appear to have played in the final at all. He is not listed in any of the boxscores in The Trail, not even as a substitute. No reason is given as to why he played in the league playoffs but did not travel to the coast to take on Seattle in the final.

Old
04-09-2009, 07:43 PM
pitseleh

Did Wisent leave a list with anyone?

Old
04-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

I am shocked to be making this pick, but the Boston Bruins select goaltender Grant Fuhr.

Old
04-09-2009, 07:50 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post

Kyle, you really hurt us with this one.

I'm huge on Howe. He made my top-100 list. He was an equally accomplished goal scorer and playmaker. Won 3 cups. Top regular season and playoff scorer of his time. Good all-around player. Described as aggressive and a good bodychecker. Killed penalties. Humble, workmanlike attitude. Cowley called him the most underrated player ever. ***** ******* (all-star defenseman of the time) said he was harder to defend against than Syl Apps. Top-5 for the Hart three times. Top-10 in goals 6 times, assists 5 times, points 4 times, playoff goals/assists/points numerous times as well. My "consistency in goalscoring" thread shows Howe as having 9 top-20s in goals, which puts him in elite company. I'm doing the same thing now with assists, and he was top-20 seven times, which would make him one of a select group of players to place that close to the top in both consistent goalscoring and consistent playmaking.

Switching positions a lot screwed him out of all-star selections but stats coupled with anecdotal evidence about the players selected, suggests that he would deserve perhaps four all-star spots if only he had played the whole season at one position or the other. His war profiteering is highly overblown as well - 1943-1945 are not his best seasons; those came earlier.

We're only three spots away and we would have taken Howe. I'm not big on taking players higher than they've ever gone before, but Howe absolutely deserves it.

I can't imagine going through a draft without Howe. But I will have to get used to the idea. I had him at the Leafs boards and I had him in ATD10. I'll pimp Howe to anyone willing to listen. I was really looking forward to putting together an awesome bio post with the info I have in my most recently acquired Red Wings books.

Anyone who wants Howe next draft, I'm telling you now - better take him before 130th or I'll be grabbing him.

Last draft I was so sad to see him get taken by Hedberg that I traded for him. Want to work out a trade, Kyle? Howe's not that good anyway.

Last edited by seventieslord: 04-09-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old
04-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Did Wisent leave a list with anyone?
Tomorrow is a bank holiday in Germany (or at least in Hessen), so Wisent may still be up.

Old
04-09-2009, 08:04 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Kyle, you really hurt us with this one.

I'm huge on Howe. He made my top-100 list. He was an equally accomplished goal scorer and playmaker. Won 3 cups. Top regular season and playoff scorer of his time. Good all-around player. Described as aggressive and a good bodychecker. Killed penalties. Humble, workmanlike attitude. Cowley called him the most underrated player ever. ***** ******* (all-star defenseman of the time) said he was harder to defend against than Syl Apps. Top-5 for the Hart three times. Top-10 in goals 6 times, assists 5 times, points 4 times, playoff goals/assists/points numerous times as well. My "consistency in goalscoring" thread shows Howe as having 9 top-20s in goals, which puts him in elite company. I'm doing the same thing now with assists, and he was top-20 seven times, which would make him one of a select group of players to place that close to the top in both consistent goalscoring and consistent playmaking.

Switching positions a lot screwed him out of all-star selections but stats coupled with anecdotal evidence about the players selected, suggests that he would deserve perhaps four all-star spots if only he had played the whole season at one position or the other. His war profiteering is highly overblown as well - 1943-1945 are not his best seasons; those came earlier.

We're only three spots away and we would have taken Howe. I'm not big on taking players higher than they've ever gone before, but Howe absolutely deserves it.

I can't imagine going through a draft without Howe. But I will have to get used to the idea. I had him at the Leafs boards and I had him in ATD10. I'll pimp Howe to anyone willing to listen. I was really looking forward to putting together an awesome bio post with the info I have in my most recently acquired Red Wings books.

Anyone who wants Howe next draft, I'm telling you now - better take him before 130th or I'll be grabbing him.

Last draft I was so sad to see him get taken by Hedberg that I traded for him. Want to work out a trade, Kyle? Howe's not that good anyway.
If Denneny didn't fall to me, I was going with Syd Howe and Hooley Smith with picks 140 and 141.

Closed Thread