HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2009 NHL Draft Guides (FC, ISS, McKeen's, RLR & THN)

Old
05-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Patrick King

vCash: 500
I will keep this brief. If anyone requires any further information regarding the McKeen's Hockey Draft Guide, you may visit the McKeen's web site or send me a private message.

Good day.

Last edited by Majik1987: 05-10-2009 at 12:39 AM. Reason: You cannot discuss deletions - No Disclosure of Personal Information
Patrick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:57 AM
sportsfreak39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup View Post
All I can tell you is about FC, I write for them and here is what you can except if you get the Future Considerations Draft Guide in pdf format.

Last year the guide was 162 pages fully loaded with profiles, articles and stories about the 2008 prospects plus much more. For the 2009 edition we think we have substantially outdone ourselves, you can expect a full color edition with photo’s plus:

FC’s top 150 list.
Profiles on the top 100 with everything you need or want to know about each prospect.
An article on some potential sleeper picks.
A two round mock draft with some insider info.
Some individual interviews with highly regarded prospect.
The most in-depth look at the 2010 draft prospects available.
A glimpse at the 2011 draft.
And many more articles on the 2009 prospects , 2010 prospects, pro scouts and much much more as well as the added bonus of our May issue free of chagre which you will be able to read while you wait for the big one in two weeks time. The may issue has everything you need to know about the 2009 class of goalies, a U18 tourny review plus much much more.

Our birddogs, scouts and writers have been watching and writing about these guys all year. No other guide will give you as much content, knowledge and entertainment as FC will and for a fraction of the price of all the others, plus you will have plenty of time to read it with a release date of around the May 24 weekend.
Thanks for the info, you definetly make a good case for your company.

These are my pet peeves with scouting reports and prospect previews:

1. They don't go into detail about weaknesses, they usually go on and on about the good things about a prospect and may just slide a bad thing or two in there.

2. They don't go into detail at all about players defensive ability.

Can FC offer me those kind of things? I like the price and I will definetly consider your magazine, but why is it that your magazine is so much cheaper? What do the other magz offer that yours and others can't.

This isn't a shot at your company, I just want a cross-reference is all.

sportsfreak39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 08:46 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfreak39 View Post
Thanks for the info, you definetly make a good case for your company.

These are my pet peeves with scouting reports and prospect previews:

1. They don't go into detail about weaknesses, they usually go on and on about the good things about a prospect and may just slide a bad thing or two in there.

2. They don't go into detail at all about players defensive ability.

Can FC offer me those kind of things? I like the price and I will definetly consider your magazine, but why is it that your magazine is so much cheaper? What do the other magz offer that yours and others can't.

This isn't a shot at your company, I just want a cross-reference is all.
First, what you will get is a scouting report with both strengths and weaknesses as seen by our contributors. Secondly, the reason FC is cheaper is becase "A" we are a new entity as a Mag (two years) and need to attract people like yourself to our product and "B" because FC compensates its contributors on a per contribution basis, no one is on a salary like some of the other hockey references. Hope this helps.

To the other question poster the released date is around the 20th-24th of May.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 08:37 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Max is a good guy who I'm happy to call a friend and I wish him the best in his new role at McKeens. He has been with them for a while as a scout but has recently taken on a larger role. He puts in loads of hours watching games and more so driving to those games for birds feed in return, all for the love of the game. I think with people like Max working for them they are quickly rising and in some eyes (including mine) exceeding the likes of the ISS group. A NHL organization would be wise to scoop him up in the near future.
I'll get the McKeen's guide just out of respect to Max' work; he's been very kind to me in regards to answering questions, and providing insight when I need it for my blog.

Congrats on him for the larger role.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

I haven't bought a hockey draft guide in over five years.. I used to buy them all the time when The Hockey News was in paper format...
But I have bought lots of football draft guides the last 10 years, and whether it be hockey or football, I am just not used to spending more than 7, 8, 9.00 maximum for a draft guide... With that said, I haven't been this excited in years for an NHL draft... I'm an Islander fan, and besides the obvious reason of us having the #1 overall pick, we have like 6 of the top 60 picks, including 4 of the top 37... So I'm excited about doing my homework on the top 90 guys.. Thats why I ordered the hockey news draft guide and also broke down and ordered Mckeen's draft guide for $40 bucks!! Better be some guide for that much money... Never thought I'd spend 40 bucks on a draft guide... What is the world coming to....

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

I can't wait to receive McKeen's draft guide, I'm hoping it's really good. Well, for $40 it BETTER be good. I still think that price is ridiculous, but maybe when I see the finished product I'll realize that it's worth the money. If not, well I'd learn my lesson and I wouldn't buy again next year.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Ceekay

Quote:
All I can tell you is about FC, I write for them and here is what you can except if you get the Future Considerations Draft Guide in pdf format.

Last year the guide was 162 pages fully loaded with profiles, articles and stories about the 2008 prospects plus much more. For the 2009 edition we think we have substantially outdone ourselves, you can expect a full color edition with photo’s plus:

FC’s top 150 list.
Profiles on the top 100 with everything you need or want to know about each prospect.
An article on some potential sleeper picks.
A two round mock draft with some insider info.
Some individual interviews with highly regarded prospect.
The most in-depth look at the 2010 draft prospects available.
A glimpse at the 2011 draft.
And many more articles on the 2009 prospects , 2010 prospects, pro scouts and much much more as well as the added bonus of our May issue free of chagre which you will be able to read while you wait for the big one in two weeks time. The may issue has everything you need to know about the 2009 class of goalies, a U18 tourny review plus much much more.

Our birddogs, scouts and writers have been watching and writing about these guys all year. No other guide will give you as much content, knowledge and entertainment as FC will and for a fraction of the price of all the others, plus you will have plenty of time to read it with a release date of around the May 24 weekend.
Sold Looking forward to checking it out!

I may get ISS as well but the price is a bit steep for me

Ceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Spalfredsson

With all the good things people have been saying about FC's preview last season, I'll probably be buying it this year. I'd like to wait for a preview of what it's going to look like before I do though..

Spalfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:58 AM
ginnungagap

Any chance there's a place to get a whole or partial copy of last year's Future Considerations draft guide to check it out? I've done RedLine and McKeen's in the past but you guys have me interested.

ginnungagap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:03 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Okay guys, I was able to put together a downloadable sample based on the work that I did for last years FC guide. I do not have the raw content that some of the others contributed, so I hope this is fine.

2008 FC Draft Guide Sample Pack

Old
05-12-2009, 05:28 PM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Okay guys, I was able to put together a downloadable sample based on the work that I did for last years FC guide. I do not have the raw content that some of the others contributed, so I hope this is fine.

I'm asking myself if these reports have been written by someone who really cares about the players, or by someone who's recycling cliches.

AF1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:52 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I'm asking myself if these reports have been written by someone who really cares about the players, or by someone who's recycling cliches.
Sorry?

Old
05-12-2009, 07:19 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Quote:

Great work Dan, the amount of work you put into each issue is astounding.

If anyone has any questions regarding what is included with McKeen's Draft Guide, I recommend using this link, as it details what is included. http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=895643

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Spalfredsson

Quote:

You've sold me.

Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

Spalfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I think you'll find all these publications to be filled with clichés. The goal here is to provide insight on hockey prospects, not win a Pulitzer prize. Don't let that stop you from enjoying the information.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:24 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

tough call i like what FC does and like the sample Cup showed us earlier in the thread but also a big fan of Max at McKeens so right now i dont know.....

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:10 PM
sportsfreak39

Is there a McKeen sampler anywhere?

Also in the RLR, I saw in their sample they did a full-size page profile on Boedker as well as grades on individual skills.

I really like that part and does anyone know if they do that for other prospects and if so how many?

Old
05-13-2009, 03:24 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Is there a McKeen sampler anywhere?

Also in the RLR, I saw in their sample they did a full-size page profile on Boedker as well as grades on individual skills.

I really like that part and does anyone know if they do that for other prospects and if so how many?
McKeens http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/960/784695.pdf

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:50 PM
sportsfreak39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Not impressed, RLR is more comprehensive for that price and FC has about the same if not more for cheaper, at least from what I've seen in the Samplers.

Before I buy RLR I'd like to know how many of the "Draft Spotlight" columns like the one they did for Boedker do they do per issue?

Old
05-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:

Before I buy RLR I'd like to know how many of the "Draft Spotlight" columns like the one they did for Boedker do they do per issue?
It depends on the month. Usually issues like January, which are chock-filled with post-WJC reports, will only have one. But in leaner months like earlier in the season- and in March and April they usually have two of those profiles because there are not as many post-tourney scouting reports to fill out the content.

As an aside, this month's rising section has one of Kyle Woodlief's patented "pithy" one-liners that people either love or hate:

On Toni Rajala (rising)- Barely tall enough to punch a penguin in the gonads, as long as he keeps scoring goals, who cares? (or something to that effect- the punching a penguin in the gonads part is a direct quote).

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
tough call i like what FC does and like the sample Cup showed us earlier in the thread but also a big fan of Max at McKeens so right now i dont know.....
$10 vs $40 for virtually the same content? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Patrick King

A new sample of the McKeen's Guide will be available in the near future. Rest assured, the content will NOT be the same and will be worth the price. I suggest you hold judgment until you see the finished product.

Patrick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:09 PM
sportsfreak39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
It depends on the month. Usually issues like January, which are chock-filled with post-WJC reports, will only have one. But in leaner months like earlier in the season- and in March and April they usually have two of those profiles because there are not as many post-tourney scouting reports to fill out the content.

As an aside, this month's rising section has one of Kyle Woodlief's patented "pithy" one-liners that people either love or hate:

On Toni Rajala (rising)- Barely tall enough to punch a penguin in the gonads, as long as he keeps scoring goals, who cares? (or something to that effect- the punching a penguin in the gonads part is a direct quote).

I was referring to the Draft Guide on how many Draft Spotlight/Profile sections there are.

Old
05-14-2009, 03:10 PM
sportsfreak39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick King View Post
A new sample of the McKeen's Guide will be available in the near future. Rest assured, the content will NOT be the same and will be worth the price. I suggest you hold judgment until you see the finished product.
When will it be available?

Old
05-14-2009, 03:23 PM
CanFan05

I bought this year's McKeen's,FC and THN as they seemed the best ones from all the post I read around here. RLR and ISS are intriguing but I don't think I want to spend more than 100$ on draft previews...anyway if any of you get the RLR and ISS for 2009, let me know what you think!

Thanks!

( I still have the THN Draft preview in PDF format if any of you have trouble getting it (overseas, etc.)

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote