HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 80: Calgary @ Vancouver. This is what we play for.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2009, 10:13 AM
  #126
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
My analysis of the game: Both teams played amazing. Calgary got way more shots and scoring chances but the Canucks (yes, my team) clearly had the best player on the ice last night.

To the Flames fans who are saying they should have won and they are the better team, ****. Do you know how many times Kipper has robbed us from victories we shoulda stormed away with? It goes both ways... We both have great goalies, tonight ours was better and that was the deciding factor here.. Although I do beleive Kipper played a great game.

Anyways that game was mad entertaining... And I sure hope we don't see you guys in the playoffs for BOTH of our sakes. Whoever wins is gonna be so ****ing tired after haha.. I dunno how they'd play another series after. I guess we can all just hope Chicago eliminates you guys Haha..

Anyways... gg...

The Flames were the better team last night and should have won the game. Luongo stole the win for the Canucks. Do you disagree with this?

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
  #127
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
The Flames were the better team last night and should have won the game. Luongo stole the win for the Canucks. Do you disagree with this?
Nope. The rest of our team played like **** save for the last 10 mins or so

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
  #128
StreakingRed
#unsustainable
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 11,554
vCash: 500
Who cares who should have won or deserved to win, it's all about who was able to get the job done in the end, and unfortunately that was the Canucks. I tip my hat to Luongo, he was outstanding and did exactly what he had to do after his team had lost 3 straight. The Flames had more than their share of opportunities to take this game, but failed to capitalize. The energy certainly was there for the most part, but the finish and PP wasn't.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:53 AM
  #129
lefty2time*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Canucks deserved to win..because they were the better team.

Their team includes the players that scored 4 goals.
And the goalie that made 40 saves or whatever.

U cant say that the flames out played the canucks...because this is a team game...if the flames were better D through F then they would have won.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:00 AM
  #130
DownInFlames
 
DownInFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NE1-But-Cancuks
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
I can easily say the Flames outplayed the Canucks because they did. It was a great game and I am not upset we lost. We deserved the win. More importantly though I think the Flames showed the playoff intensity that we should expect. Hopefully the intensity will come with some finish in the post season. This game inspires some confidence in the team as they showed they can dictate the game against 'the hottest team in hockey'.

Someone knock up Lou's wife quick.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
  #131
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I think the point is that it will be difficult for Luongo - or any goaltender - to maintain his high level of play if he faced up to 50 shots each game in a playoff series. He'll eventually wear down.
that would require said team to put up 50 shots each game in a playoff series... which never happens because teams tighten up defensively in the playoffs, especially through a series and don't allow those kind of chances through an entire series. Chances are that that type of offensive pace will wear down a lot quicker against playoff hockey - where it's going to be aggressive and defensive every game - than the goalie even seeing 50 shots/game to wear him down.

much more likely that you have a hot goalie through an entire playoff series (as we've seen many times), than one team dominating offensively through every game of that series... especially when the teams really are pretty close overall... I just don't believe it's possible that the canucks let up 50 shots a game through an entire playoff series... forget a 7-game series, they haven't done that even in back to back games for... well ever!

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
  #132
bam09
Registered User
 
bam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
Canucks deserved to win..because they were the better team.

Their team includes the players that scored 4 goals.
And the goalie that made 40 saves or whatever.

U cant say that the flames out played the canucks...because this is a team game...if the flames were better D through F then they would have won.
We outplayed them, quite easily in fact. If it was almost any other goalie, we would have won. Hell if we swapped goalies for a game, we would have won too. They got lucky, that Luongo came to play. Otherwise they would have lost by a fair margin. It's ridiculous to say that they outplayed us.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
  #133
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
We outplayed them, quite easily in fact. If it was almost any other goalie, we would have won. Hell if we swapped goalies for a game, we would have won too. They got lucky, that Luongo came to play. Otherwise they would have lost by a fair margin. It's ridiculous to say that they outplayed us.
Calgary did outplay the canucks, but I think you guys are going too far with comments like "quite easily" ... the flames had some great scoring chances, but they also threw a lot of shots on net from well out that weren't scoring chances at all.

the canucks were outplayed on even strength though... they still outplayed the flames on special teams, owned the faceoff circle all night long and scored key goals when they needed it - including a momentum changing key goal 20 seconds after the flames tied it up.

yes, the flames outplayed the canucks, but the margin of that is not represented in the shot totals alone.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:01 PM
  #134
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
The Flames were the better team last night and should have won the game. Luongo stole the win for the Canucks. Do you disagree with this?
I do and I don't. Luongo didn't score 4 goals for us... Our players did that. So despite the amount of shots on net, our players found a way to beat the goalie... Your players did not.

Yes, our captain and best player really stepped up last night. Fact of the matter is, even if Luongo let in 4 goals yesterday instead of 1 we would have still been in that game and GUARANTEED a point out of it, possibly 2.

Our whole team did their part. We may not have poured the pressure on all game long (you guys did, I can admit that) but as a team we managed to put the puck in your net and keep it out of ours. Was it pretty? Nope! But it happened.

Kipper played great last night too. Robbed us quite a few times. We came out on top this time due to Luongo's stellar play and our forwards ability to beat Kipper (not because he played poorly, again).

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
  #135
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
We outplayed them, quite easily in fact. If it was almost any other goalie, we would have won. Hell if we swapped goalies for a game, we would have won too. They got lucky, that Luongo came to play. Otherwise they would have lost by a fair margin. It's ridiculous to say that they outplayed us.
Buddy, we won 4-1.. Not 2-1.

You needed to score 5 goals to beat us last night. Your argument is extremely flawed.

Our TEAM outplayed your TEAM. We won, simple. Luck? Okay.. I'll remember that next time Kipper plays a good game. MINUS Luongo your team outplayed us? Ya maybe... But we did come up with 4 goals, so something doesn't work there... Maybe instead of firing tons of shots on net you shoulda played some defense.

I'm not trying to be a dick here bu this is what pisses me off about Flames fans.. I come on here and say good game that was a hell of a show and all I hear is b*itch b*itch b*itch... If we switched goalies we would have won! Any other goalie and you woulda lost!

We scored 4 goals.. FACT! Most goalies have no more than a 3 gaa. Are you completely ignoring the fact that this wasn't a 1 goal game? Damn...

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:34 PM
  #136
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 44,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
that would require said team to put up 50 shots each game in a playoff series... which never happens because teams tighten up defensively in the playoffs, especially through a series and don't allow those kind of chances through an entire series. Chances are that that type of offensive pace will wear down a lot quicker against playoff hockey - where it's going to be aggressive and defensive every game - than the goalie even seeing 50 shots/game to wear him down.

much more likely that you have a hot goalie through an entire playoff series (as we've seen many times), than one team dominating offensively through every game of that series... especially when the teams really are pretty close overall... I just don't believe it's possible that the canucks let up 50 shots a game through an entire playoff series... forget a 7-game series, they haven't done that even in back to back games for... well ever!
Well the average shots/game in that playoff run that Luongo had to face was 35... Which is still a lot.

My point was that he sustained a high level of play during those 12 games.

__________________
parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:42 PM
  #137
Ticonderoga
For the Watch
 
Ticonderoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Well the average shots/game in that playoff run that Luongo had to face was 35... Which is still a lot.

My point was that he sustained a high level of play during those 12 games.
Lu was obviously burnt out during the Ducks series..he look tired by the end of it.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:47 PM
  #138
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 44,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
Lu was obviously burnt out during the Ducks series..he look tired by the end of it.
I would say that's pretty accurate. Definitely wasn't in full concentration... Otherwise that gaff in the last game in OT wouldn't have happened.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
  #139
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I do and I don't. Luongo didn't score 4 goals for us... Our players did that. So despite the amount of shots on net, our players found a way to beat the goalie... Your players did not.

Yes, our captain and best player really stepped up last night. Fact of the matter is, even if Luongo let in 4 goals yesterday instead of 1 we would have still been in that game and GUARANTEED a point out of it, possibly 2.

Our whole team did their part. We may not have poured the pressure on all game long (you guys did, I can admit that) but as a team we managed to put the puck in your net and keep it out of ours. Was it pretty? Nope! But it happened.

Kipper played great last night too. Robbed us quite a few times. We came out on top this time due to Luongo's stellar play and our forwards ability to beat Kipper (not because he played poorly, again).
If the Flames would have capitalized on just a handful of their many glorious chances, the game could have been totally different. Maybe Vancouver doesn't score 4 goals because the Flames go into a defensive shell or the Canucks' confidence just deteriorates. There's no telling what the outcome could have been if the Flames scored three goals in the first period.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
  #140
Ticonderoga
For the Watch
 
Ticonderoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
If the Flames would have capitalized on just a handful of their many glorious chances, the game could have been totally different. Maybe Vancouver doesn't score 4 goals because the Flames go into a defensive shell or the Canucks' confidence just deteriorates. There's no telling what the outcome could have been if the Flames scored three goals in the first period.
That is true it would have changed the face of the game who know what would have happened.Luongo stole that game no doubt and our PP sucks ****.

On to Edmonton here is hoping they want to tank to get a better pick and we can win both games.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
  #141
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter
 
cbjerrisgaard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
On to Edmonton here is hoping they want to tank to get a better pick and we can win both games.
After watching the teams who should be "tanking" this year I wouldn't count on it. Just doesn't seem to happen.

Also never underestimate how much the Oil hate the Flames.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:46 PM
  #142
Ticonderoga
For the Watch
 
Ticonderoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz View Post
After watching the teams who should be "tanking" this year I wouldn't count on it. Just doesn't seem to happen.

Also never underestimate how much the Oil hate the Flames.
Gee thanks tips...

it's obviously less then how much Vancouver hates us.

I think we can win both games, we have so much more to play for then them, and they got to be a little demoralized after getting eliminated by L.A.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:25 PM
  #143
Grannys
Registered User
 
Grannys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London, UK
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I do and I don't. Luongo didn't score 4 goals for us... Our players did that. So despite the amount of shots on net, our players found a way to beat the goalie... Your players did not.

Yes, our captain and best player really stepped up last night. Fact of the matter is, even if Luongo let in 4 goals yesterday instead of 1 we would have still been in that game and GUARANTEED a point out of it, possibly 2.

Our whole team did their part. We may not have poured the pressure on all game long (you guys did, I can admit that) but as a team we managed to put the puck in your net and keep it out of ours. Was it pretty? Nope! But it happened.

Kipper played great last night too. Robbed us quite a few times. We came out on top this time due to Luongo's stellar play and our forwards ability to beat Kipper (not because he played poorly, again).
Momentum is also key and if the Flames would of scored on a few of their good chances in the beginning, this might of affected the Canucks so much that they might not even been able to put up more than 1 or 2 goals during the game. Once the game had 10 minutes left, the momentum significantly shifted to the Canuck side which powered them to put a few more pucks behind the Kipper, plus the Flames were loosing their grip on the game.

Loungo stole the game, but my point is if the Flames would of scored early and taken a lead, its not guaranteed that the Canuck would of still walked away with 4 at the end.

But then again none of this matters now... The game is done and the winner is clear.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
  #144
ComixZone
Registered User
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
and the division will still belong to the flames when the dust settles on the weekend.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:16 PM
  #145
Buttonwood
$$$
 
Buttonwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Well the average shots/game in that playoff run that Luongo had to face was 35... Which is still a lot.

My point was that he sustained a high level of play during those 12 games.
A 1.77 GAA still got him a 5-7 record, there is certainly a big difference between 1 GA and 2 GA in a tight playoff series.

Luongo stole the game last night, and I'm not doubting his ability to steal a series. He's shown he can do that. But just because he can (or has) doesn't mean he will again this year. I know what he can do, but at the same time I'm not going to start ******** my pants (as a Flames fan) over one game.

That said a 7 game series with each team playing that exact game, (which obviously wouldn't happen) I like the Flames chances. So basically, even though Vancouver looks better right now (for good reason) I'm not ready to give up on this team yet.

I also feel like with goalies like Luongo the number of shots can be irrelevant at times. I think I'd rather have 10 scoring chances on 20 shots rather than on 50 shots. Some goalies are better the more they get worked, and I think Luongo falls in that catergory.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
  #146
Meganuck*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
If the Flames would have capitalized on just a handful of their many glorious chances, the game could have been totally different. Maybe Vancouver doesn't score 4 goals because the Flames go into a defensive shell or the Canucks' confidence just deteriorates. There's no telling what the outcome could have been if the Flames scored three goals in the first period.
The FACT is they didnt because their forwards couldnt capitalize. And ours did. This wasnt a 1-0 win in oT where Kipper went to play the puck and it bounced off the boards into the net.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:48 PM
  #147
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
Momentum is also key and if the Flames would of scored on a few of their good chances in the beginning, this might of affected the Canucks so much that they might not even been able to put up more than 1 or 2 goals during the game. Once the game had 10 minutes left, the momentum significantly shifted to the Canuck side which powered them to put a few more pucks behind the Kipper, plus the Flames were loosing their grip on the game.

Loungo stole the game, but my point is if the Flames would of scored early and taken a lead, its not guaranteed that the Canuck would of still walked away with 4 at the end.

But then again none of this matters now... The game is done and the winner is clear.
Ya true. And IF Mitchell's shot went in early on and Kipper wouldn't have robbed him maybe we would have gained momentum and you guys wouldn't have had as many of those chances. Maybe if Iginla didn't tie it up 1-1 on his goal we would have kept going... Maybe if you guys would have went up 2-0 we would have stepped it up hard and went into an offensive spurt.

My POINT is there are too many if's... And they all are valid. What we do know is both keepers played a hell of a game, especially Luongo. We scored 4 goals, you scored 1. Call it luck if you want... But those goals did't look luck related to me. Our forwards capitalized on some chances...

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
  #148
special_loob
Registered User
 
special_loob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Ya true. And IF Mitchell's shot went in early on and Kipper wouldn't have robbed him maybe we would have gained momentum and you guys wouldn't have had as many of those chances. Maybe if Iginla didn't tie it up 1-1 on his goal we would have kept going... Maybe if you guys would have went up 2-0 we would have stepped it up hard and went into an offensive spurt.

My POINT is there are too many if's... And they all are valid. What we do know is both keepers played a hell of a game, especially Luongo. We scored 4 goals, you scored 1. Call it luck if you want... But those goals did't look luck related to me. Our forwards capitalized on some chances...
full agreement from where i see it.

i want to see this continued effort going into this weekend, and the PP start to click. 2 wins against the oil and all this arguing is over nothing. (the kings playing spoiler again tomorrow night would be nice too)

special_loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:22 PM
  #149
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by special_loob View Post
full agreement from where i see it.

i want to see this continued effort going into this weekend, and the PP start to click. 2 wins against the oil and all this arguing is over nothing. (the kings playing spoiler again tomorrow night would be nice too)
Like I said, I came on here to say good game, not to gloat over a victory.

Winning the division is infinitely more importantly to the Flames than it is to us. I mean, I don't mind playing Chicago from Vancouver's standpoint. But, if I'm not mistaken you guys seem to do quite poorly against em?

I'd still rather win it and take home ice advantage... But at this point, it doesn't really matter to me who we play.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:37 PM
  #150
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
Gee thanks tips...

it's obviously less then how much Vancouver hates us.

I think we can win both games, we have so much more to play for then them, and they got to be a little demoralized after getting eliminated by L.A.
This is one Canuck fan who dislikes Edmonton a lot more.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.