HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raleigh and the Triangle Guide and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2012, 11:06 PM
dahlenrules

vCash: 500
It looks like there is $1 hot dogs and bobbleheads(Pitkanen!) for the first 10,000 fans for the game, sweet!

Old
01-15-2012, 11:10 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlenrules View Post
My gf and I will be coming down for the Caps-Canes game this upcoming friday. Read through most of the thread again, but have a quick question. Is there anything in the arena concourse that is unique? It can be food, displays, etc. Verizon center is pretty bland, but every other arena i've been to has some cool things.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll have time to explore the surrounding city as we are taking a bus trip and it seems like we will be getting there with not much time to spare before the game.
Pre-game you've got tailgating going on in the parking lot. I can't immediately think of any displays of real note in the RBC Center, unfortunately, aside from each team's logo painted on glass panes in the upper bowl in the areas near the escalators. Those were painted prior to the ASG last year though, so there's the Thrasher's logo rather than the Jets logo.

In terms of food, your best bet on the concourse is, IMO, the NC BBQ Company stands with Carolina-style pulled pork sandwiches (with both Eastern and Western-style sauces). There's also the Carvery stand down on the lower concourse that has a prime rib sandwich that some around here love (haven't had it myself...it's a little pricey for my blood). Since 'all won't get a chance to stay around too long, if you're a beer fan try to locate a beer stand with a local microbrew on tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlenrules View Post
It looks like there is $1 hot dogs and bobbleheads(Pitkanen!) for the first 10,000 fans for the game, sweet!
You may have to specifically ask for them - depending on who's handing them out, they sometimes assume that fans from visiting teams won't be interested in getting a Canes bobblehead. When my buddy and his wife came down for the Pens-Canes game, he had to specifically ask for his Ruutu bobblehead.

Old
01-15-2012, 11:17 PM
dahlenrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Pre-game you've got tailgating going on in the parking lot. I can't immediately think of any displays of real note in the RBC Center, unfortunately, aside from each team's logo painted on glass panes in the upper bowl in the areas near the escalators. Those were painted prior to the ASG last year though, so there's the Thrasher's logo rather than the Jets logo.

In terms of food, your best bet on the concourse is, IMO, the NC BBQ Company stands with Carolina-style pulled pork sandwiches (with both Eastern and Western-style sauces). There's also the Carvery stand down on the lower concourse that has a prime rib sandwich that some around here love (haven't had it myself...it's a little pricey for my blood). Since 'all won't get a chance to stay around too long, if you're a beer fan try to locate a beer stand with a local microbrew on tap.

You may have to specifically ask for them - depending on who's handing them out, they sometimes assume that fans from visiting teams won't be interested in getting a Canes bobblehead. When my buddy and his wife came down for the Pens-Canes game, he had to specifically ask for his Ruutu bobblehead.
I can see that about the bobbleheads. Verizon hands them out to anyone i'm pretty sure.

Apparently we are leaving near where the Caps practice around 1pm, so hopefully we don't hit traffic. Either way it seems like there won't be much time to do anything before the game.

How is the RBC team store/smaller stores around the concourse. Any unique items to invest in?

Old
02-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Hey guys, wasn't sure where to put this but do you know where, if any visiting fans can see their team leave after the game? I have a friend who's a lightning fan who's friend is coming to see the bolts play the canes and asked me question about it.

Naturally, since I don't live down there, know the setup.. I couldn't really help.

She says that some arenas have places to see the bus leave and stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Guy

vCash: 300
There's an area behind the arena near the player's parking lot where a few fans with gather, and occasionally a few of the players will stop to sign stuff. The opposing team bus leaves out of this same area, but it's rare that any opposing players ever show up out there. I've seen it happen once, and I don't even remember who the Canes were playing, but there was a medium sized contingent of the other team's fans out there and 3 or 4 of their players came out and waved and signed a few things. Seeing as how it's Tampa, I'd rate their chances at "seeing the team" at very low, they might see the bus as it pulls out, but that will be about it.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:50 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Anybody who has not been to Bottle Revolution yet needs to check it out. Great store, they often have hockey on, and you can drink beer while browsing for beer. Over 1,000 different beers all available in singles. It's a beer nerd's dream come true.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:29 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Those were painted prior to the ASG last year though
[nitpick]They're actually stickers. [/nitpick]

Old
02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Perhaps a dumb question, but shamefully I don't know the answer. What are the RBC rules on tailgating? I've never done it outside of a college town where the rules were fairly strict. What is the policy on liquor and glass, and is there anything else I should be aware of?

Old
02-23-2012, 10:40 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Any glass should be smashed on the asphalt before leaving, ideally in the area of a visiting fan's car.

Liquor should be placed inside your front pocket, with the handle visible, when entering the arena.

Hope this helps!

Old
02-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

^FTW

I thought liquor wasn't allowed, but can't find that on the website. Either way I've never seen it enforced.

02-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I'm fairly certain liquor is allowed for tailgating.

Otherwise it wouldn't be tailgating!!

Old
02-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Guy

Yeah, if there's a liquor rule it is 100% not enforced.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I think it might only be NC State events that liquor isn't supposed to be allowed (but always is).

Old
02-23-2012, 03:34 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Anybody who has not been to Bottle Revolution yet needs to check it out. Great store, they often have hockey on, and you can drink beer while browsing for beer. Over 1,000 different beers all available in singles. It's a beer nerd's dream come true.
Indeed. Another really good one is Tasty Beverage in the Warehouse District across from The Pit. They've got a small bar in the back and can "fast chill" anything in the store.

Old
02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Indeed. Another really good one is Tasty Beverage in the Warehouse District across from The Pit. They've got a small bar in the back and can "fast chill" anything in the store.
Have not yet been to Tasty Beverage...I'll have to pay them a visit. My only knock on Bottle Revolution thus far is their rather limited selection of Unibroue beers - I believe they have Ephemere and Blanche de Chambly and that's it.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:03 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Have not yet been to Tasty Beverage...I'll have to pay them a visit. My only knock on Bottle Revolution thus far is their rather limited selection of Unibroue beers - I believe they have Ephemere and Blanche de Chambly and that's it.
Yeah, they have over 1,000 beers as well. You can bring food in too and eat at the bar and they have periodic tasting events. Aviator is there either tonight or tomorrow night. I don't recall which Unibroues they have but almost certain I remember seeing La Fin Du Monde. They had/have Chambly Noire on tap.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I was impressed with Tasty Beverage when I stopped by in January. The location is certainly great.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:39 AM
StormCast

Good article in today's N&O about the local microbrew retailers...

Old
03-26-2012, 11:27 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Realized an edit needs to be made to the OP - the Mudcats are no longer AA and no longer affiliated with the Reds. This season they're the Advanced-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians (in a three city swap, the AA Mudcats were sold and moved to Pensacola, FL and are now the Pensacola Pelicans. The Kinston Indians, in turn, were purchased by the owner of the Mudcats and moved to Zebulon to become the "new" Carolina Mudcats).

Old
03-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

What the hell is Advanced-A?

Old
03-27-2012, 12:13 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
What the hell is Advanced-A?
So Minor League Baseball's classification system has six levels:

AAA
AA
Advanced A (also called High A)
A (also called Low A)
Short Season A
Rookie

Advanced A usually consists of players in their second or third season of professional ball and also a few high first rounders in their first season of play. There are three Advanced A Leagues - the California League, the Carolina League, and the Florida State League. The "new" Mudcats will, naturally, be playing in the Carolina League along with:

Frederick Keys (Frederick, MD; Orioles)
Lynchburg Hillcats (Lynchburg, VA; Braves)
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Myrtle Beach, SC; Rangers)
Potomac Nationals (Woodbridge, VA; Nationals)
Salem Red Sox (Salem, VA; Red Sox)
Wilmington Blue Rocks (Wilmington, DE; Royals)
Winston-Salem Dash (Winston-Salem, NC; White Sox)

Comparatively the "old" Mudcats were AA and in the Southern League. While the level of play/quality of players is greater at the AA level, the Southern League consisted of four teams in Alabama, a team in Florida, a team in Mississippi, and three teams in Tennessee. A team in the Triangle was a clear geographic outlier and IIRC the closest team in the Southern League, the Tennessee Smokies, were as far away from Zebulon as the most distant team in the Carolina League, Wilmington, is now.

Old
03-27-2012, 06:46 AM
TheBigKahuna

Can't wait to see Kenny Powers come to Zebulon with the Pelicans!

Wait, is it the Mermen now?

Old
03-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Guy

AA and High A ball are where you might actually see players that will become impact players in the majors. AAA ball is where 35 year olds hanging onto the dream of not getting a "real job" play. I don't know anything about the other 3 lower levels.

I'm a little disappointed that Kinston lost the Indians though, and hopefully they'll find some kind of replacement team for their stadium, which is currently empty for the year. I used to attend a few Kinston games a year because they had cheap pitchers of beer. Cheap beer is pretty much my motivation for going to minor league ball games, be it Mudcats or Bulls.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:14 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dry View Post
AA and High A ball are where you might actually see players that will become impact players in the majors. AAA ball is where 35 year olds hanging onto the dream of not getting a "real job" play. I don't know anything about the other 3 lower levels.

I'm a little disappointed that Kinston lost the Indians though, and hopefully they'll find some kind of replacement team for their stadium, which is currently empty for the year. I used to attend a few Kinston games a year because they had cheap pitchers of beer. Cheap beer is pretty much my motivation for going to minor league ball games, be it Mudcats or Bulls.
That's not entirely true about AAA, though and it depends on how each organization treats it's AAA team. The Rays have used the Bulls to develop talent and Bulls fans have been treated to the likes of Price, Hellickson, Upton, Longoria, etc. While some teams do treat AAA as a parking lot, that's hardly the case uniformly. Also from what I've seen, the 35-year olds still chasing the dream usually wind up in unaffiliated indy leagues or playing overseas.

Low-A is the starting point for most decent prospects and is full season as well - within NC Greensboro, Hickory, Asheville, and Kannapolis are all Low-A teams. Short-Season A tends to be where college players start out immediately after their college careers end (season starts up in June after the CWS is done) and Rookie tends to be where most draft picks straight out of high school wind up. Burlington is rookie league and that was one of the most painful games to watch in my life. I'd have to take a look at my score sheet from the game but it was the most errors I'd seen occur in a baseball game. It should be noted that not every team has both a Rookie and Short Season A affiliate but will always have at least one or the other (for instance the Pirates have a Short Season A team but not a Rookie team)

As for Kinston there's rumors they'll get a new team. Player Development Contracts are up at the end of this season so that's usually when affiliation/team movement happens. There's been a recurrent rumor over the last few years that two ownership groups in the California League (Advanced A) want out and would be willing to sell their franchises. Meanwhile there's two groups in Carolina League territory (one in Columbia, SC and the former K-Tribe owners) who have expressed interest in bringing affiliated ball back to those cities. Whether that comes to pass remains to be seen but I agree - Kinston has a great old park and I loved the fact that they had Mother Earth beers on draft and available in cans!

Last edited by garnetpalmetto: 03-27-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old
07-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Hey guys, Lightning fan here with a couple of peaceful questions!

Do the Canes offer any kind of military discount on tickets? Would the fans at RBC treat a couple of visiting marines wearing Lightning jerseys ok? As long as the boys in question were not being *******s?

Also, I looked up the distance between Camp Lejeune and Raleigh. It seems to be a fairly long drive. Any tips you could give about hotels would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Closed Thread