HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raleigh and the Triangle Guide and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2012, 07:28 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Hey guys, Lightning fan here with a couple of peaceful questions!

Do the Canes offer any kind of military discount on tickets? Would the fans at RBC treat a couple of visiting marines wearing Lightning jerseys ok? As long as the boys in question were not being *******s?

Also, I looked up the distance between Camp Lejeune and Raleigh. It seems to be a fairly long drive. Any tips you could give about hotels would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Yep, bring your military ID with you on game day, it gets you a pretty nice discount on the tickets http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=65165 ... unfortunately I think that's only valid on game day so you may have to make a day trip out of it. There's plenty to do in and around Raleigh so a day trip out of it won't be too rough.

As far as hotels and the like go though, there's prettymuch nothing around the arena (I think one hotel) so you might want to browse around the Raleigh area to see what you can get for the best price. Briar Creek and the Airport area have a lot more options then the area around the arena and they're only about 10-15 minutes drive away.

Generally the fans are pretty cool to visitors. There're always going to be some dicks in any fanbase, but usually here unless you're being one yourself you're more likely to be offered a beer at a tailgate then you are to get messed with.

Old
07-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Quote:

Do the Canes offer any kind of military discount on tickets? Would the fans at RBC treat a couple of visiting marines wearing Lightning jerseys ok? As long as the boys in question were not being *******s?

Also, I looked up the distance between Camp Lejeune and Raleigh. It seems to be a fairly long drive. Any tips you could give about hotels would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
The Canes do have discounts for the military at throughout the season. With Fort Bragg and Camp Lejueune not that far away, the Canes do a pretty good job with that. More details here.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=65165

Canes fans rarely have problems with any fans with opposing team's jersey's on. Of course it all depends on how the fans act, but wearing a Lightning jersey wouldn't be a problem.

I can't help you much on hotels.

Old
07-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
As far as hotels and the like go though, there's prettymuch nothing around the arena (I think one hotel) so you might want to browse around the Raleigh area to see what you can get for the best price. Briar Creek and the Airport area have a lot more options then the area around the arena and they're only about 10-15 minutes drive away.
Actually, now that I think about it, there are a number of hotels that went up recently in the Cary Crossroads area. That's only 5 miles to the PNC arena and a very easy drive. Plus there is a decent amount of restaurants/bars now in that area as well. I know there's 4 points by Hilton, a Doubletree that were only built in the last couple of years and there's a Holiday Inn there as well.

Old
07-29-2012, 07:42 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Even better. Though it can be a little confusing getting to the arena from that area when there's heavy traffic, but it should be a good option.

Old
07-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Yep, bring your military ID with you on game day, it gets you a pretty nice discount on the tickets http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=65165 ... unfortunately I think that's only valid on game day so you may have to make a day trip out of it. There's plenty to do in and around Raleigh so a day trip out of it won't be too rough.

Generally the fans are pretty cool to visitors. There're always going to be some dicks in any fanbase, but usually here unless you're being one yourself you're more likely to be offered a beer at a tailgate then you are to get messed with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
The Canes do have discounts for the military at throughout the season. With Fort Bragg and Camp Lejueune not that far away, the Canes do a pretty good job with that. More details here.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=65165

Canes fans rarely have problems with any fans with opposing team's jersey's on. Of course it all depends on how the fans act, but wearing a Lightning jersey wouldn't be a problem.

I can't help you much on hotels.
Quote:
Actually, now that I think about it, there are a number of hotels that went up recently in the Cary Crossroads area. That's only 5 miles to the PNC arena and a very easy drive. Plus there is a decent amount of restaurants/bars now in that area as well. I know there's 4 points by Hilton, a Doubletree that were only built in the last couple of years and there's a Holiday Inn there as well.
Thanks guys! Good info, I'll pass it all on.

Not sure why it was so earth-shakingly important to know all of that right away, but "I need to know RIGHT NOW dad" made it seem pretty dire.

I'll tell him to behave himself and he'll get along fine!

Old
07-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Even better. Though it can be a little confusing getting to the arena from that area when there's heavy traffic, but it should be a good option.
If you head into where Crossroads and US 1 meet, then it can be. But where those hotels are, it's not an issue, I drive that way to every game. It's just Jones Franklin Road all the way to Hillsborough street then hang a left on to Youth Center Road and you are there. 10 minutes max even in the worst traffic.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:

Thanks a lot!
I would go to the priority club reservation page. When you search use the discount rate for state government. The holiday inn won't check your ID and if they do show them you military and say you must have clicked the wrong government discount. But I'm on state retirement as a police officer, so I can use it, but they never check my Government ID at the Holiday Inn RDU on Airport Blvd.

That hotel is like 4 miles away and it's 4-5 VERY easy miles. Both PNC and the Holiday are less than .5 mile off 40. Holiday Inn at exit 284, PNC at 289. That holiday inn is nice too. Only 4 years old.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:07 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
If you head into where Crossroads and US 1 meet, then it can be. But where those hotels are, it's not an issue, I drive that way to every game. It's just Jones Franklin Road all the way to Hillsborough street then hang a left on to Youth Center Road and you are there. 10 minutes max even in the worst traffic.
And you go right by the free parking lot using that route. That's seriously the way to go.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

I still remember most of Raleigh pretty well, but I'm gonna have to look for a hotel fairly close to the PNC. I haven't been to NC in a few years, so I'm gonna want to enjoy myself, but I'm huge about not drinking and driving, even if it's only one. So walking distance and//or transit are in my future

Old
07-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
I still remember most of Raleigh pretty well, but I'm gonna have to look for a hotel fairly close to the PNC. I haven't been to NC in a few years, so I'm gonna want to enjoy myself, but I'm huge about not drinking and driving, even if it's only one. So walking distance and//or transit are in my future

Only two walking choices. Comfort Suites and Ramada Inn

Old
07-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Everything on Airport Blvd though is less than $15 cab ride and the hotel shuttle will take you there.

Staybridge Suites
Holiday Inn
Cambria Suites
Holiday Inn Express
Hampton Inn
Four Points
Fairfield Inn
Country Inn
Hyatt House

Old
07-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Everything on Airport Blvd though is less than $15 cab ride and the hotel shuttle will take you there.

Staybridge Suites
Holiday Inn
Cambria Suites
Holiday Inn Express
Hampton Inn
Four Points
Fairfield Inn
Country Inn
Hyatt House
Where's the Red Roof Inn at?

Old
07-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

If you stay downtown you can take the free Caniac Coach: http://www.caniaccoach.com/ and you can actually enjoy some uniquely Raleigh things rather than the Hooters on Airport Blvd.

07-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
If you stay downtown you can take the free Caniac Coach: http://www.caniaccoach.com/ and you can actually enjoy some uniquely Raleigh things rather than the Hooters on Airport Blvd.
One could argue that there are SEVERAL unique, Raleigh things at Hoosters

But ya, I'll definetly check out The Pit a few times, and hit up some of my former haunts. Maybe even take an extra couple days and hit up Greenville again and see how my Pirates are doing.

Old
07-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Good stuff! Thanks again guys.

Old
07-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

If you stay off airport you have a few really nice restaurants too. Chop House, La Mez, Travinia, An, Herrons, Bonefish, Ruth's Chris. All with in 2 miles.

Add in the Holiday Inn at $64 and you really can't beat it

Old
07-31-2012, 11:32 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Shared this topic with my brother and sister-in-law for when they move down there (just in case they read this far, hi guys, kiss the baby for me!), and they both seemed pleasantly surprised via the emails I got back from them, so thanks OP and Canes board! Useful stuff.

Old
08-02-2012, 08:41 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

BTW could we add a Chapel Hill restaurant I enthusiastically recommend?

Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe - great Indian food prepared fresh, good bottled beer selection, gluten-free and vegan options, and nice seating out in their open-air courtyard.

Old
08-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Teemu

Does anyone have any advice on things to do, places to go, or (especially) things to eat in Asheville and/or Winston-Salem? We're planning on seeing Biltmore, Old Salem, and the Reynolda House. I know its not part of the triangle, but I figure that a few of you might be from there or travel there often.

Old
08-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Does anyone have any advice on things to do, places to go, or (especially) things to eat in Asheville and/or Winston-Salem? We're planning on seeing Biltmore, Old Salem, and the Reynolda House. I know its not part of the triangle, but I figure that a few of you might be from there or travel there often.
I've been to Ashville a few times. My wife and I like to try different places downtown when we go. Tupelo Honey Cafe was one we both liked and I liked 12 Bones Smokehouse (very casual), but my wife isn't much of a beef/pork eater. She really liked the Laughingseed Cafe (which caters to vegetarians, and even though neither of us are vegetarians, I thought it was good also). There are a bunch of restaurants downtown though and I really have only scratched the surface so you probably can just find one that suits your tastes and check it out.

As far as what to see? Downtown Asheville is a pretty "interesting" place with a many street performers (and some border on vagrants). It's worth walking around in the early evening just to see all the performers.

A drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway is also nice and check out the Grove Park Inn (even if you don't stay there). It's an impressive place.

Old
08-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

If you like beer, Asheville is a great beer town.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:19 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Hit Barley's in Ashville, some of the best pizza in the whole state and the beer selection there is among the best in the country.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:36 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Asheville - DEFINITELY Tupelo Honey, as Boom Boom Anton mentioned. We usually go for a breakfast/brunch there and it's always amazingly good. Brewery tours are always fun as Asheville has some quality ones - Highland, Green Man, Wedge, Pisgah, and French Broad all come to mind. A trip to the Biltmore Estate is always a prerequisite if you're going to Ashevile. There's also Asheville's art deco City Hall, and the Thomas Wolfe House.

Winston-Salem - Places to eat - Village Tavern (my wife's favorite from her Wake Forest days), Bleu, Foothills (another local brewery with a great restaurant as well), Hutch and Harris, Midtown Cafe and Dessertery (another favorite of my wife's). Also in Winston you're close to the heart of NC Wine country, the Yadkin Valley. There's some great wineries up there as well as some good restaurants, Twenty-One and Main in Elkin, especially.

Things to do - tour Old Salem, the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art, and Reynolda House,.

Both Asheville and Winston-Salem have great minor league parks. Asheville's home of the Asheville Tourists, the low-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies. Stadium was completely rebuilt n the '90s, but the site itself is quite historical it was the site of the world's fastest baseball game (all 9 innings were played in a little under an hour), Thomas Wolfe was a bat boy there, it served as the site of Babe Ruth's infamous "Bellyache Heard 'Round the World," and Crash Davis hit his record-setting HR and played his last professional baseball game there (at least in Bull Durham). Winston-Salem is home of the high-A Winston-Salem Dash (affiliated with the Chicago White Sox). Their stadium is pretty new, having been pen for 2-3 seasons now. It's pricey though, especially for class A baseball.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Teemu

Thanks for the advice everyone. What about Lexington? Some of the travel books suggest it add a can't miss bbq stop. Is it worth the half hour drive from Winston Salem?

Old
08-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Guy

vCash: 322
There's sure to be a wide variety of opinions when it comes to NC BBQ. If you've got some time to throw away, I'd say go for it and try it out. I'm not a big proponent of the Lexington style, but I'm not everybody.

According to this, you don't even need to leave Winston-Salem to sample the Lexington style: http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html

Closed Thread