HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Radio-Canada : Habs ARE for sale + possible buyers

Old
04-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Kafka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
The media hasn't exactly been credible this year. Huge scandals that were nothing, making reports that Gillett was selling without proof (if there was proof, that would be a different story), conflicting injury reports. Add to that character assassinations on the GM, coach, captain and just about every other player; not just constructive criticism but outright bashing. And don't forget the fact that they questioned Carbo and turned around to bash Gainey for firing him.

The media has no credibility at this point. There's no really question about this.
I hope you are not including Ron Fournier and the guys at L'antichambre in the "journalists" group. Those are not. It really seems those guys didn't know what was going to be published the next morning by La Presse, and expected it to be related to some rumors they heard over the previous weeks. La Presse article the next day was only bringing information they took from the law court. I agree that it wasn't dramatic, but again, La Presse didn't asked those morons at l'antichambre or Ron Fournier to act stupidly.

Radio-Canada is now confirming that Réjean Tremblay was right a month ago. Christian Latreille is an increadible journalist and has no "agenda" like some of you confabulate.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 05:44 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
George IS selling. Jacques Ménard's premier job is being a match maker. Not an "analyst", like they made him to be in the media. He makes a living doing business deals.

As for the injury reports, they are true. Gélinas was massacred yesterday because of what he said, but it was all true. It's just that Schneider wants to play nonetheless.
If Gainey is selling, PROVE IT. Throwing around a name isn't proof. Is that what the journalism standards have come to these days?

As for Schneider, do they even know what he injured? If it's the shoulder, then that means some reporters who said it was the ribs were wrong. If it's the ribs, then the other guys were wrong. Either way, you have bad reporters.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 05:45 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
I hope you are not including Ron Fournier and the guys at L'antichambre in the "journalists" group. Those are not. It really seems those guys didn't know what was going to be published the next morning by La Presse, and expected it to be related to some rumors they heard over the previous weeks. La Presse article the next day was only bringing information they took from the law court. I agree that it wasn't dramatic, but again, La Presse didn't asked those morons at l'antichambre or Ron Fournier to act stupidly.

Radio-Canada is now confirming that Réjean Tremblay was right a month ago. Christian Latreille is an increadible journalist and has no "agenda" like some of you confabulate.
Sorry if I'm skeptical, but it's something you just develop when it comes to what passes for journalism these days. It's not just in sports or in Montreal either. I'd like to see some hard proof here. Instead of talking about how good buying the Habs is, I'd like to know what their source is. I just don't think there's much journalistic integrity left these days.

Old
04-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Erngueva

I understand your skepticism but journalists doesn't reveal their sources. That's the whole point of calling them sources and not Joe Bloe.

Erngueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Toro

This is another BS story by RDS

Gillette talking to his bean counters....

Hey im a little short of cash at the moment. Can you guys take a good look at all my toys and play things and see where im at? I may need to take on some investers somewhere or something.

Idiots at RDS....

Hey Gillette is going to sell the Canadiens. maybe Serge will but the team?

Print it!!

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 05:55 PM
GNick42

I don't know what to think of Savard buying the team. These consortium groups generally mean not much money behind them.

Savard is quite a sharp business man however. He use to own the Marriot. He must of made good money involved in lotto Quebec, he owns many other industries. Junior hockey teams, race horses, etc...

Ole Senator must be quite old by now...why didn't he make a bid for team back in '01?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 05:58 PM
MonacoBlue

I don't want any "groups" buying the Habs. They either don't have money or they get into disputes. Please just ONE owner who isn't shady, who won't meddle and who will spend money.

Old
04-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Toro

One owner is better then a group of them.

especially one owner who hires the best Hockey people and lets them do their job. As apposed to a group who each guy has an agenda and keeps meddling and ruining everything.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
The media hasn't exactly been credible this year. Huge scandals that were nothing, making reports that Gillett was selling without proof (if there was proof, that would be a different story), conflicting injury reports. Add to that character assassinations on the GM, coach, captain and just about every other player; not just constructive criticism but outright bashing. And don't forget the fact that they questioned Carbo and turned around to bash Gainey for firing him.

The media has no credibility at this point. There's no really question about this.
Actually there's not much things they said that wasn't true.

But I will say this it's comforting to know that this time Quebec-based companies are interested in buying the Habs. I also don't mind a consortium if it's huge companies. Instead of having 20 companies like the Expos/Nordiques, if you have 5 entities with deep pockets owning the club it's pretty manageable.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:07 PM
MonacoBlue

Five is still too many. Hopefully Saputo will buy the Habs.

Old
04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Erngueva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue

Five is still too many. Hopefully Saputo will buy the Habs.
Him or Laliberté would be my first choice, if George is indeed selling.

Erngueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Maximus Taylor

Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:14 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
I'm pretty happy with what Gillett has done... what difference would Savard make as an owner. Just wondering?
Hes French. DUHHH

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Not The One

An ownership group including Angélil, Laliberté, Savard and Saputo would be fantastic.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Hes French. DUHHH
He has liquidities.

Old
04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Schooner Guy

I'm surprised that so many people are excited about the prospects of new ownership. We've had it great under Uncle George Gillett. He doesn't meddle and allows Hockey Operations do their job. He has allowed Mr Gainey to spend and boost our scouting. We now have the most organizational depth that we've had in over 20 years.

It is a different era than the ones where Habs piled up Stanley Cup championships. There are far more teams and there is a salary cap. Players have more power than they used to and can become free agents at a much younger age. The days of dynasties are over and parity is in. Also, most free agents just don't want to come here because of the constant 24/7 media scrutiny.

Gillett has allowed Gainey to build up a pretty darn stable foundation here. Change might be exciting but be careful what you wish for. Things can get A LOT worse under new ownership.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
He has allowed Mr Gainey to spend and boost our scouting. We now have the most organizational depth that we've had in over 20 years.

Gillett has allowed Gainey to build up a pretty darn stable foundation here.
With the Habs performance this year I'm not so sure about this. The current management is VERY conservative and some of the potential owners listed could add some dynamism and risk-taking to the Habs brass. As long as they dont go the Charles Wang and Len Barrie route.

Old
04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
With the Habs performance this year I'm not so sure about this. The current management is VERY conservative and some of the potential owners listed could add some dynamism and risk-taking to the Habs brass. As long as they dont go the Charles Wang and Len Barrie route.
You want risk taking? How about firing the coach and going behind the bench with roughly a month remaining in the season? How about trading your veteran goalie on deadline day and going with a 20 year old the rest of the way? Gainey has balls the size of Saturn.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:14 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

It's easy to be "interested" when you don't even know what Gillette is asking for. The more offers he has to higher he can sell the franchise for.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
It's easy to be "interested" when you don't even know what Gillette is asking for. The more offers he has to higher he can sell the franchise for.
depends... if he needs the money quickly, he might sell a bit lower at those that can cough up the assets needed in no time.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Not The One

Quote:
You want risk taking? How about firing the coach and going behind the bench with roughly a month remaining in the season?
I call that desperation.

Quote:
How about trading your veteran goalie on deadline day and going with a 20 year old the rest of the way? Gainey has balls the size of Saturn.
Risking a fantastic season for a 2nd round pick? I'd say that was a dumb move. Price was so-so against Boston and horrible against Philadelphia. Lots of people were against the deal after it went down. Anybody saying Gainey is not conservative, for better or worse, needs to get new glasses.

Old
04-07-2009, 07:44 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
He has liquidities.
With 4 other guys.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob De Funes View Post
depends... if he needs the money quickly, he might sell a bit lower at those that can cough up the assets needed in no time.
Exactly.

48 hours before an offer is made according to La Presse.

Old
04-07-2009, 07:46 PM
freakerz

Maybe Laliberté sold parts of the Cirque to acquire the Habs... at least we'ld be entertained!!!

freakerz is offline   Reply With Quote