HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Old
04-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Son of Krypton

vCash: 500
After Sweden's 1-2 loss against the Czech Republic yesterday, Aftonbladet caught up with Omark, who was arguably the best skater on Team Sweden.
Here's an excerpt.
Nothing new, really, except the bit in bold type.
Quote:
I don't regret it for a second. Edmonton wasn't that interested. They offered me a rookie salary of $525,000, which is way below the maximum salary for a rookie. I didn't even get the max in the AHL - if I would've ended up there. I got the feeling that they didn't really believe in me. If they'd told me they had plans for me, I wouldn't have hesitated for a second.
I hope to prove them wrong in the World Championships - if I make the team.

Son of Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Peak Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Krypton View Post
After Sweden's 1-2 loss against the Czech Republic yesterday, Aftonbladet caught up with Omark, who was arguably the best skater on Team Sweden.
Here's an excerpt.
If that is true, then the organisation does deserve the flak it has received in this thread. I can understand not wanting to offer the guy bonuses up into the millions of $, but pay the guy the minimum bloody rookie salary for a start.

Peak Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 08:55 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak Oil View Post
If that is true, then the organisation does deserve the flak it has received in this thread. I can understand not wanting to offer the guy bonuses up into the millions of $, but pay the guy the minimum bloody rookie salary for a start.
It's extremely concerning to hear prospects saying, "they weren't that interested", and to hear that it was difficult to reach our guys during negotiations. Who does the negotiations? Is it Rick Olczyk?

Why would you draft somebody if you weren't going to give them the attention necessary to build a strong relationship?

Ville Leino is playing in the AHL right now with Detroit, you never heard any complaints from him about that. Hudler, same thing. With our prospects it's always, "he wants a one-way deal" or "he doesn't feel wanted".

What exactly are these guys doing?

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:16 AM
jnewton91

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
It's extremely concerning to hear prospects saying, "they weren't that interested", and to hear that it was difficult to reach our guys during negotiations. Who does the negotiations? Is it Rick Olczyk?

Why would you draft somebody if you weren't going to give them the attention necessary to build a strong relationship?

Ville Leino is playing in the AHL right now with Detroit, you never heard any complaints from him about that. Hudler, same thing. With our prospects it's always, "he wants a one-way deal" or "he doesn't feel wanted".

What exactly are these guys doing?
Even CBJ is able to convince their Euro prospects to come over - they're able to convince guys like Filatov and Mayorov to come over earlier than most would and play them in the AHL because they're willing to develop them and try to bring them into the big club.

Mayorov is the perfect comparison - a 4th rounder, they even convinced him to play WHL hockey this year if needed (but he ended up staying Syracuse) by giving him a two-way contract closer to the rookie max than the minimum, which apparently the Oilers saw fit to offer Omark....

If the guy's in the AHL he's only making 65k, and if he plays in the NHL he's still under a million which isn't exactly breaking the bank. This is beyond frustrating to hear.

jnewton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:56 AM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
If that's true, then I take back everything I said and yeah it's a major **** up on the clubs part. Sad.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:17 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

525k is a BS offer if that's true.

Look at what some of our plug players are making. Stortini averages .7 and Pouliot averages .825m, Chorney almost a mil.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:21 AM
frag2

For the Oilers, if you aren't a first rounder, you aren't getting paid well...well, relative to most rookies.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Wow. Epic fail. So we want to get bigger. We have a highly skilled small guy, but too many small guys already to they not realize if you sign him you make another smaller guy despensible, making it so you have more tradeable assets.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:38 AM
MerryJ99

Why is everyone so upset, he is still Oilers property. Lets see what he can do in the KHL, and then next year if the Oilers want to make another contract offer based on his performance in the KHL, it is a step up from the SEL.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:50 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
Why is everyone so upset, he is still Oilers property. Lets see what he can do in the KHL, and then next year if the Oilers want to make another contract offer based on his performance in the KHL, it is a step up from the SEL.
Does it sound to you like Omark wants to play for us? Does it sound like he feels a part of this organization?

Old
04-17-2009, 10:57 AM
MerryJ99

Quote:
Does it sound to you like Omark wants to play for us? Does it sound like he feels a part of this organization?
It sounds to me like he went for the Money and not the chance to play in the NHL, it also sounds like he is acting like a spoiled brat who also sounds like he is feeling a bit sorry for himself because he didn't get the big contract he wanted in the NHL, those are earned as far as I am concerned, It is like he thinks he should be entitled in some way to a big contract without proving himself at all in the NHL. Maybe he is good but what if he is a flop in the NHL? He is not entitled to a top $$$ Rookie contract. If you give him the big rookie contract at the max then do you give every rookie a deal like that without every playing in an NHL game or the AHL for that matter?

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 11:22 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
It sounds to me like he went for the Money and not the chance to play in the NHL, it also sounds like he is acting like a spoiled brat who also sounds like he is feeling a bit sorry for himself because he didn't get the big contract he wanted in the NHL, those are earned as far as I am concerned, It is like he thinks he should be entitled in some way to a big contract without proving himself at all in the NHL. Maybe he is good but what if he is a flop in the NHL? He is not entitled to a top $$$ Rookie contract. If you give him the big rookie contract at the max then do you give every rookie a deal like that without every playing in an NHL game or the AHL for that matter?
How about when you're the highest scoring prospect in the Swedish Elite League? Are you not considered a top prospect at that point, deserving of a top level entry contract?

Why is it that it's always all about money? Or all about the player being selfish? If you have an organization that consistently has top end prospects dissatisfied with the level of attention or compensation they're receiving, then at some point you need to take a look at what the organization is doing to build relationships.

Old
04-17-2009, 12:51 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Krypton View Post
Here's an excerpt.
If this is true, Olczyk needs to be fired, like, today. Overpaying almost million each for all of our underperforming vets(Horcoff,Staios, Moreau etc.) is fine, but 300K for a promising kid is apparently crossing the line. Esp when there is no guarantee the kid would even have that count against the cap since the A or Europe were options as well. Hell I promise you we spend more then 300k a year just flying scouts around Europe trying to draft guys like Omark. We are so ********. God this pisses me off.

Mact was a good start but there is still a fair amount of rot to cut out of our management team. Whoever is in charge of contracts(likely Olczyk) needs to be booted next.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
How about when you're the highest scoring prospect in the Swedish Elite League? Are you not considered a top prospect at that point, deserving of a top level entry contract?

Why is it that it's always all about money? Or all about the player being selfish? If you have an organization that consistently has top end prospects dissatisfied with the level of attention or compensation they're receiving, then at some point you need to take a look at what the organization is doing to build relationships.
Scouting and player development were two aspects of the organization that Tambo indicated would be under serious review. I think he has already detected a problem with how we are dealing with prospects.

Hopefully, he'll add a bit of expertise when it comes to dealing with European players and prospects.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Just to play a little Devil's Advocate here...

Before we light the torches and chase Rick Olczyk to the windmill, it's entirely possible that it was Tambellini himself who was generating the "try to sign him, but don't try TOO hard" vibe that could've been picked up by whomever was in direct negotiations w/ Omark's agent.

With Tambo making it abundantly clear that he's wanting to go for a bigger, harder to play against forward group, and with articles from Jason Gregor stating that Tambo had more say in matters this season than what many fans thought...it's not a huge stretch to think that Tambellini's not all that enamoured on Omark's potential at the NHL level.

It would help to know who exactly was doing the negotiating on the Oilers behalf with regards to Omark. Was it Olczyk, Prendergast, or some other peon?

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:41 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Just to play a little Devil's Advocate here...

Before we light the torches and chase Rick Olczyk to the windmill, it's entirely possible that it was Tambellini himself who was generating the "try to sign him, but don't try TOO hard" vibe that could've been picked up by whomever was in direct negotiations w/ Omark's agent.

With Tambo making it abundantly clear that he's wanting to go for a bigger, harder to play against forward group, and with articles from Jason Gregor stating that Tambo had more say in matters this season than what many fans thought...it's not a huge stretch to think that Tambellini's not all that enamoured on Omark's potential at the NHL level.

It would help to know who exactly was doing the negotiating on the Oilers behalf with regards to Omark. Was it Olczyk, Prendergast, or some other peon?
I agree I wish we could know who actually makes contact with these guys. There are a whole lot of complexities involved in player management, and we're by no means experts on the subject, but it seems to me that this whole thing is extremely simple: give your prospects a chance. You draft them for a reason, so commit to them.

Omark didn't have to play here. He could have started on the farm and worked his way in. Tambo could go about his business of getting bigger and stronger, and at the same time, allow this smaller guy to maybe prove he can beat the odds. It's literally a zero risk situation. If the directive is coming from Tambo to snub a top prospect just because he's small (especially given that it didn't necessarily have to affect his roster at all), then I'm even more concerned!

Instead we've got no way of knowing whether this guy can play on an NA rink, no expressed commitment on either side of the fence and bad PR from the rebuke.

This kind of screw up in a no-brainer situation makes you wonder if there's a guy asleep at the wheel here.

Old
04-17-2009, 05:47 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Scouting and player development were two aspects of the organization that Tambo indicated would be under serious review. I think he has already detected a problem with how we are dealing with prospects.

Hopefully, he'll add a bit of expertise when it comes to dealing with European players and prospects.
Ya let's hope so. I really do have a lot of hope with Tambellini's comments this week, but at the same time, this happened under his watch, so we'll see.

Old
04-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Alex87

Blaming Olczyk solely is ridiculous. Second, $525k is low-ball but the fact that Omark is ready to disclose details of what is supposedly a confidential negotiation is a huge red flag imo. Why is he going out of his way to make the Oilers organization look bad publicly? Why should we take his word? I wish people would stop comparing Omark to other European prospects that have signed on other teams and are now doing so well. Omark is skilled, but what about his attitude? Believe it or not, drafting outside of even the top ten becomes pretty hit or miss. At that point, scouts start looking for attitude as much as they do skill. And I heard that straight from Olczyk's mouth- look up the thread I created last fall about the lecture I was at where he was speaking.

Also, this is beating a dead horse but the KHL is a better league than the AHL. Omark isn't good enough for the Oilers and he's very small (not just size, but weight too). He needs to bulk up before he can reach the NHL. This is a good situation for us.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 06:22 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
This kind of screw up in a no-brainer situation makes you wonder if there's a guy asleep at the wheel here.
Yup. I promise you if Detroit had picked Omark, they'd have signed him to the rookie max. Most teams in the league would have too. It's a pittance, that may not even count against the cap, and if you get lucky and he can produce, you can spend in other areas. This is so simple it's mindboggling we messed this one up.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 06:22 PM
jfhlbuffy

I'd really like to hear the Oilers side of this, because this is just beyond ridiculous. I mean, I know our management is stupid, but this is incomprehensible if true.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 06:51 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Blaming Olczyk solely is ridiculous.
I appreciate this, not trying to blame Olczyk, was just wondering if he was the guy in charge of negotiations. I did read your summary of Olcyzk's talk, and it was insightful. Didn't want to make it sound like I was singling anybody out.

Quote:
Second, $525k is low-ball but the fact that Omark is ready to disclose details of what is supposedly a confidential negotiation is a huge red flag imo. Why is he going out of his way to make the Oilers organization look bad publicly? Why should we take his word? I wish people would stop comparing Omark to other European prospects that have signed on other teams and are now doing so well. Omark is skilled, but what about his attitude?
Yes that is the question. Why is he going out of his way to disparage the organization? As soon as he's drafted he's a part of this organization. Obviously he doesn't feel that way though.

Quote:
Believe it or not, drafting outside of even the top ten becomes pretty hit or miss. At that point, scouts start looking for attitude as much as they do skill. And I heard that straight from Olczyk's mouth- look up the thread I created last fall about the lecture I was at where he was speaking.
At what point would you judge a draft pick as a "hit"? how about when they're the top prospect in their league at age 22? You can say all you want about a guy's attitude, the fact is based on results the guy earned a shot in NA. He didn't have to play on the Oilers, we have a farm team for a reason. If he's got a bad attitude it doesn't have to affect the team.

Quote:
Also, this is beating a dead horse but the KHL is a better league than the AHL. This is a good situation for us.
No, a good situation would be if Omark said, "I'll develop in the KHL for a year, and then make my way over."

As opposed to, "Screw the Oilers. They don't want me, so I'm going to sign somewhere else and prove them wrong."

Quote:
Omark isn't good enough for the Oilers and he's very small (not just size, but weight too). He needs to bulk up before he can reach the NHL.
Omark may be good enough, he may not be. He may be too small, he may not be. You don't know that. I don't know that. The Oilers don't know that. They had a chance to find out on good terms with their player, at the bare minimum of risk, and they made a conscious decision not to do that.

A very odd decision any way you look at it.

Old
04-17-2009, 06:55 PM
alanschu

I am a bit surprised Omark is starting to disclose details of the negotiations.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He was drafted in the 4th round. Fourth rounders do not deserve rookie max contracts. I believe he didn't want to play in the AHL and wanted a guarantee he'd be in the NHL.

04-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
He was drafted in the 4th round. Fourth rounders do not deserve rookie max contracts. I believe he didn't want to play in the AHL and wanted a guarantee he'd be in the NHL.
While we still only have one side of the story I think the point is that the league minimum next year will be $500K. Not paying the max does not equate to paying the minimum.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Why is he going out of his way to make the Oilers organization look bad publicly?
Not to excuse it because I do not, but we've seen this kind of behaviour before with other Euro prospects, and even some Euro veterans...they'll play nice with the N. American media and say all the right things, but once they get back on home turf it's like they forget that:

A) The Internet does exist.
B) There is such a thing as online translators.

In that context, I'm not 100% convinced that Omark is going 'out of his way' to make the Oilers look bad, I still think there's a chance it's nothing more than a kid that thinks just because he's talking Swedish to a Swedish reporter, it'll never get back to his NHL club...yes it's dumb, but he may not be doing it in an intentionally destructive way.

Besides, it's not like the Oilers have been needing any additional help these days in making themselves look inept.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote