HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber Called Up Janik Sent Down

Old
04-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Best news of the day. We desperetly need a point player...
hopefully Pk Subban if the Bulls get beat out.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Dripper

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
hopefully Pk Subban if the Bulls get beat out.
They have a 3-1 lead

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:29 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Let's hope for Streit 2.0

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

Good news, the only dark spot is Pierre Houde calling him Vebère..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Kafka

Finally! This guy should have receive a call up 20 games ago, even before the Schneider trade. At 19 years old, he is making an amazing job in Hamilton. Two games won't be enough to prepare him for the playoffs at this point. Hopefully, he'll play well enough on the PP.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:41 PM
RE-HABS

Subban isn't signed and I'm sure even if he was signed after the OHL playoffs or they get eliminated he can't play with the Habs because of the collective bargaining agreement. He could sign a tryout with Hamilton, but couldn't be called up and at this point he would only get to play the regular season for the Bulldogs as well since he isn't on their playoff roster either.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Schwang

Too late?

Should have been done in, oh..... NOVEMBER!
Instead we had to put up with Brisebois, O'Byrne and no one on our point except Markov. Gee, maybe the drop to 28th place on the PP should have been an indication we needed help. Sorry, but with 2 games left this desperation move won't make a difference. face it, they blew the games they should have won.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:51 PM
MonacoBlue

You people are crazy. Weber is 19 and you're expecting wayy too much out of him. I won't be surprised if you guys are disappointed in him pretty soon. No doubt, he's going to be a good player, but he's just a prospect. He's not a game breaker whose presence will win us games like some people here think.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:55 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

This is a good move. I don't know if Weber is ready defensively, but the kid registered 100 MPH + in the OHL skills competition last year and he's clearly gifted offensively. At a time when one PP goal can make the difference between playoffs or not, they had to call him up.

Personally I think Janik was more solid than O'Byrne over the last two games, but I think Gainey will move Dandy back on D and we'll see something like this:

Komisarek/Gorges
Hamrlik/Brisebois
Dandy/Weber (with Weber seeing most of his ice on the PP)
O'byrne - healthy scratch

Koivu/Kovalev/Tanguay
Lapierre/Latendresse/Kostopulos
Metropolit/Stewart/Higgins
Plekanec/A. Kost/D'Agostini

Also - I can't take Carey Price any more - the maturity (game wise) just isn't there yet - Halak the rest of the way please.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:00 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up Natey.

About Dandy, I agree with most posters here and I don't understand for the life of me the reluctance to use him on D.

Only thing I can think of is they don't have anyone that really matches his speed up front and he is somewhat gritty in the offensive zone. But overall he should be on D especially now to me it seems so obvious. I'd really like for someone to ask Gainey what his reasoning is behind keeping him up front because it baffles me. He did score our only goal last night though I suppose.
My guess is that now more than ever, having lost 2 important d-men, we would need a true shutdown line that would get the job done. The Metro-Higgins-Dandy was pretty effective at doing just that and BG must be very reluctant to break it up.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
habsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
You people are crazy. Weber is 19 and you're expecting wayy too much out of him. I won't be surprised if you guys are disappointed in him pretty soon. No doubt, he's going to be a good player, but he's just a prospect. He's not a game breaker whose presence will win us games like some people here think.
True. However his puck-moving skills and big shot seem to be NHL-ready. Obviously where he could have an impact is mostly on the PP where a goal or two in a game can make a difference.

habsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:06 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsdude View Post
True. However his puck-moving skills and big shot seem to be NHL-ready. Obviously where he could have an impact is mostly on the PP where a goal or two in a game can make a difference.
Obviously, but saying something like "we should've called him up 20 games ago because he's playing amazing in Hamilton" is a bit much. As if he's perfectly NHL ready and has nothing left to learn. It was the right move to shelter him. Calling him up obviously shows how desperate the D situation is right now. Let's hope he can contribute.

Old
04-08-2009, 02:17 PM

One of Weber, O'Byrne, Brisebois or maybe Dandenault will be asked to play on his offside.

That'll be interesting...it's much easier for a LD to play RD than it is a RD to play LD.

Who will it be?

The fresh face rookie, Weber?
The guy who looks lost playing on his natural side, O'Byrne?
The guy who has played forward for most of the year, Dandenault?
The guy who plays on his natural side, as though he was on his offside, Brisebois?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Finally! This guy should have receive a call up 20 games ago, even before the Schneider trade. At 19 years old, he is making an amazing job in Hamilton. Two games won't be enough to prepare him for the playoffs at this point. Hopefully, he'll play well enough on the PP.
How about just helping our PP first. If he can shoot the puck on net, that's good enough.
This kid is 19 and is playing well in AHL, but don't expect miracles. He's not the one that'll replace Markov. We're talking about a possible Norris candidate here.
If he can take shots on net during PP and make a good first pass out of our zone, then it'll be more than perfect.

Prepare him for the POs??..Let's make sure we get there first.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by newromanceforkids View Post
he has one hell of a shot, he seemed a bit stressed when he came up the first time, but that's normal, once he settles down, with a few chances he can chip in i think
Maybe because Carbo said "you're a forward now, kid!"

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Subban isn't signed and I'm sure even if he was signed after the OHL playoffs or they get eliminated he can't play with the Habs because of the collective bargaining agreement. He could sign a tryout with Hamilton, but couldn't be called up and at this point he would only get to play the regular season for the Bulldogs as well since he isn't on their playoff roster either.
Once the Bulls season is over and Subban is signed if somehow the Habs were still playing, Subban could play for the Habs.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Treal

While I'm not expecting miracles, Weber's offensive vision should be a boost to the powerplay.

Treal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:37 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Once the Bulls season is over and Subban is signed if somehow the Habs were still playing, Subban could play for the Habs.
would be amazing.. but highly probably wont happen..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
Should have been done in, oh..... NOVEMBER!
Instead we had to put up with Brisebois, O'Byrne and no one on our point except Markov. Gee, maybe the drop to 28th place on the PP should have been an indication we needed help. Sorry, but with 2 games left this desperation move won't make a difference. face it, they blew the games they should have won.
It would have been risky to have Weber in the NHL when he needs to get stronger, and improve his defensive zone play. Granted the Habs need help but Weber is in the early stages of his development, hate to see him rushed.

Quote:
Weber is a late '88 so he'll be 21 in sept. But I agree, it's a tough spot to put him in, as the pressure is extreme (since our season is hanging by a thread) I hope to see him have a great game, but boston is not the team I'd have him play against, I would have went with Henry, if we are going to lose, might as well have someone tough in the lineup, Weber has taken some big hits in the AHL this year.

On the plus side, we need a shooter and boy oh boy can he rip em.

Old
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Joe Malone

Just for the record, he'll be 21 in about 5 months......

Not that it makes any difference I guess.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Canucklehead416

All we need him for is 4-6 minutes for the power play. And of course of couple of goals!

Canucklehead416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It would have been risky to have Weber in the NHL when he needs to get stronger, and improve his defensive zone play. Granted the Habs need help but Weber is in the early stages of his development, hate to see him rushed.

Weber is a late '88 so he'll be 21 in sept. But I agree, it's a tough spot to put him in, as the pressure is extreme (since our season is hanging by a thread) I hope to see him have a great game, but boston is not the team I'd have him play against, I would have went with Henry, if we are going to lose, might as well have someone tough in the lineup, Weber has taken some big hits in the AHL this year.

On the plus side, we need a shooter and boy oh boy can he rip em.
Oops, somebody said he was 19 and I went with it. My bad.

Old
04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
habs1988

Yannick Weber

Well, finally we have a good shot at the point. He's offensive, and it's all what I know about him!

For the ones who saw him play in Hamilton, what makes him so special?

I mean, what's the difference between the Weber who was called sooner this season, and the one who has just been recalled?

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
As long as his presence takes Komi away from the PP, it's all benefit.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Well, finally we have a good shot at the point. He's offensive, and it's all what I know about him!

For the ones who saw him play in Hamilton, what makes him so special?

I mean, what's the difference between the Weber who was called sooner this season, and the one who has just been recalled?
His shot is his best asset and it's a heck of an asset, he can fire it and his shots usually hit the net.

As for his one game callup to now, it's hard to say since I'm sure he wasn't very comfortable in his first game, but in Hamilton he's been very good all year in the offensive zone.