HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

How high of a first rounder could kaberle get at draft?

Old
04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Leafs2011cupchamps

vCash: 500
How high of a first rounder could kaberle get at draft?

Personally, since kaberles asking price is a first rounder, a top prospect and a roster player , if the leafs were to trade him for just a first rounder they could get a top 10 pick depending on who they trade with ex. ottawa's 1st for kaberle. thoughts?

Leafs2011cupchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:52 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs2011cupchamps View Post
Personally, since kaberles asking price is a first rounder, a top prospect and a roster player , if the leafs were to trade him for just a first rounder they could get a top 10 pick depending on who they trade with ex. ottawa's 1st for kaberle. thoughts?
I predict they'll get a pick in the 10 - 15 range and a teams top prospect.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:55 PM
boredmale

I think it depends on the team. If it's a team like Ottawa/Dallas who just had a setback this year, I am guessing they could get as high as the #5 pick. If it's a team that's rebuilding, no chance.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:56 PM
sauce

I would be surprised if they even got a first-round pick.

sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Snipeshow

Why would any team that is in the top 10, trade their 1st for Kaberle?

If you're a bad team, why trade your first rounder for a vet defender?

How many bottom 10 teams would be a Kaberle away from the playoffs next year?

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Kaberle's value at the draft will be lower than his value at the deadline... teams still have the UFA option (JBo) where they don't have to give up anything... and most teams drafting high will be rebuild modes anyways, where a high 1st rounder will be given more value than a veteran defender.

if Toronto moves him at the draft, they will get a lot less for him than waiting till the deadline.

having said that, I don't really see Burke moving Kaberle at this point... everyone talks about the Leafs going into "rebuilding mode" but rebuilding today isn't the same as it was pre-lockout... it's a different landscape now with lower UFA ages, and more options available, especially for a team with cap flexibility in a major market. A rebuild in Toronto could be complete at the end of the coming offseason, and instead of dealing guys like Kaberle, you keep him moving forward because he still brings so much value to a contending team - especially with a manageable contract like he's got.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Flapjack*

Kaberle isnt even worth a first rounder, and doubtful a second.

A third round pick, and a low one at that.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post

Well the Sens were a coach and a goalie away, they should still be in the bottom 10 although only barely so. That being said I wouldnt trade the 10th overall for Kaberle, he seems to have lost a step this year.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
BrentZ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post

Wow.....

BrentZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Flashspec

Quote:

Yea...that makes a lot of sense. Based on the price of defensemen that were traded around and before the trade deadline, I'm sure Kaberle will go for a 3rd round pick.

Flashspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post

^^^

This. Umm, if you are so bad that you are a lottery team then a vet dman who will OBVIOUSLY NOT resign with them who will be gone in just 2 years is NOT the way to rebuild a bottom feeding team. If he was so valuable to a team with a top 10 draft pick then why are the Leafs so anxious to trade him. I swear, some people really don't think when they ask questions like this.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:15 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Ya it doesnt make sense for any team in the top 5 to trade for him. For some reason though I have a feeling that if Dallas were to move their pick and something else for Kaberle, it would be great move for them. But I doubt he gets traded. Look for the leafs to make the playoffs next year.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
I predict they'll get a pick in the 10 - 15 range and a teams top prospect.
Chances are extremely slim IMHO.

As mentioned, his value is greater at the trading deadline; nobody "bit" then - why would the "bite" now?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Kaberle alone...... at absolute best 15.The leafs would need to add more to get any higher. no team in the top 14 would move a lottery pick because they need more than Tomas to seriously contend for a cup and with Salary cap tightenings the pick is worth more than adding a $4 million hit.

And DG my friend I believe in loyalty too but even you dont really believe that Tomas can get a top 5 by himself. Come on bro..... I know your smarter than that dont give the flamers the ammo

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:25 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

I don't think Burke will move him, if so I'd guess in the 20 range with a prospect.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:26 PM
powerthirst

I think it's all been said really well already.

Any team bad enough to have a top 10 pick would rather rebuild than get a 30-year-old defenceman for 2 years.

Any team actually looking for a defenceman would try to poach a UFA first, making Kaberle a last resort.

With the cap going down (or flatlining) and with Kab's recent numbers his contract is less of a 'bargain' than a lot of Leaf fans would have you believe, I mean $4mil is $4mil and not a lot of teams can or will be willing to swallow that hit.

His value is lower now than at the trade deadline and no one took him then...

powerthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:28 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Unless a team in the top 10 is looking for a really quick turn around then Kaberle would likely return a pick in the later half of the first round.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerthirst View Post
I think it's all been said really well already.

Any team bad enough to have a top 10 pick would rather rebuild than get a 30-year-old defenceman for 2 years.

Any team actually looking for a defenceman would try to poach a UFA first, making Kaberle a last resort.

With the cap going down (or flatlining) and with Kab's recent numbers his contract is less of a 'bargain' than a lot of Leaf fans would have you believe, I mean $4mil is $4mil and not a lot of teams can or will be willing to swallow that hit.

His value is lower now than at the trade deadline and no one took him then...
Most dmen with Kabby's talent are making over 6 million per season so I don't understand how you can say Kaberle is becoming less and less a bargain. Honestly, your statement makes very little sense.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce View Post
I would be surprised if they even got a first-round pick.
I hope you dont like surprises.

If Kabby goes a first rounder will be involved and if there isn't the prospect will be that much better.

Old
04-08-2009, 02:37 PM
AlMo

Quote:

Look at the guys avatar and his info......how do you take a guy like this seriously.

Old
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Low 2nd rounder I think...similar to Antropov.

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
top 15 pick. team thats on the brink of playoffs but just missed by a little bit and need that little extra to get them in next year. could see florida, buffalo etc move for him, but I'm not sure about their needs. Buffalo doesn't have a lot of puck movers after Campell left.

Enroth+2nd? or their first.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:56 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

the only team in the top 10 or so of the draft that *may* consider moving their 1st pick for Kaberle would be Dallas.

They were ravaged by injuries this season and aren't your typical rebuilding team. They have a few good young players stepping into their lineup (Neal, Brunnstrom) and could use a top dman to replace Zubov with. Kaberle would be a perfect addition to the team, as he's still in his prime, and brings some experience for their other young defenders (Niskanen, Fristic, Grossman and Vishnevsky).

Seems to me that Dallas has some good young pieces that losing a 1st rounder, even a top 10 one, won't hurt them too much, when they are still a team that would otherwise be contending this season if not for huge losses to injuries.

having said that, I still doubt they'd move their 1st... just the only team in that range that I think would even consider it.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:07 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
the only team in the top 10 or so of the draft that *may* consider moving their 1st pick for Kaberle would be Dallas.

They were ravaged by injuries this season and aren't your typical rebuilding team. They have a few good young players stepping into their lineup (Neal, Brunnstrom) and could use a top dman to replace Zubov with. Kaberle would be a perfect addition to the team, as he's still in his prime, and brings some experience for their other young defenders (Niskanen, Fristic, Grossman and Vishnevsky).

Seems to me that Dallas has some good young pieces that losing a 1st rounder, even a top 10 one, won't hurt them too much, when they are still a team that would otherwise be contending this season if not for huge losses to injuries.

having said that, I still doubt they'd move their 1st... just the only team in that range that I think would even consider it.
Ya thats my feeling too. They have zubov and sydor off contracts at the end of the year. thats 7.8 mill and Lehtinen at 4 mill is up too. I can see both zubov and lehtinen re-signing, but not at what theyre being paid now. that makes room for kaberle's salary. It would be a perfect fit, IMO.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:08 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

Kaberle will not get a young NHL player anymore IMO, but maybe a 1st and a team's 2nd or 3rd best prospect.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote