HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Question about Wiz...

Old
10-30-2011, 10:40 AM
DoggyII

vCash: 500
Question about Wiz...

Or more generally: Left handed shots on the left point and right handed shots on the right point vs switching them around.

Wiz is playing the right side on PPs. I know this means he can cover the blueline boards more easily but it seems like he cannot tee up any D to D passes coming from Tyutin because the puck has to go across his body.

I am not a hockey expert but how about moving Wiz to the left point so he can crank that big cannon of his on the cross pass? Do all teams handle their positioning this way?

DoggyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:41 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Good point, I agree.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:58 AM
BluejacketNut

I was thinking about this last night as our power play continues to suck. Nash doesnt play in front of the net, and wiz is playing the center of the point, more then the left. Its much how we miss used Williams when we had him....we had him at the top point instead of low left to setup his one timer (which him and Commodore practiced at the end of warmups for every game!). Now im not against Wiz at the top at times, but I would expect to see more movement that when the puck is on the right side moving towards the point, he should be rotating down futher to accommodate a one timer from the left side.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:34 PM
EspenK

If I remember correctly Wis played on the right side for Montreal last year, at least in the playoffs.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:37 PM
redsfanhere*

go win tonight for the skipper

redsfanhere* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 05:11 PM
EspenK

Doggy-check out the Canadiens forum under the ex-Habs thread. I asked the question there and got a few reponses.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:35 PM
DoggyII

EspenK, thanks for the idea but they moved the thread and I can't link to it to read it. Not sure why they moved it though. Perhaps any post in English rather than French is automatically moved out of the forum

DoggyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
If I remember correctly Wis played on the right side for Montreal last year, at least in the playoffs.
Because they had PK Subban cranking one timers.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Happy Pony

Watch a successful powerplay, one where possession in the offensive zone is sustained. Entering the zone it will be Tyutin in the left and Wiz on the right, but as possession is maintained the will switch sides and attempt to set up a one timer.

Like was mentioned earlier, they enter then switch because it's easier to gain possession on the forehand, switching also creates movement down low and by the pk, opening shooting and passing lanes.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Palinka

This is why I say that having a hand bias is a bad idea when putting together a defensive corps. The shorter angle and quicker release on a one-timer that doesn't cross the face is offset by a substantially reduced ability to keep the puck in the zone, so it's really a case of either picking one that's important and adjusting accordingly or deciding that there's no inherent advantage.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote