HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Coaches Show 7pm Eastern, Wednesdays on 1460 The Fan & 97.1 The Fan Act III

Old
01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Sorry for the cross post. I wasn't thinking and posted this in the conference call thread.

As a bit of a surprise, the 97.1 theFAN ran the Coach Arniel show last night. Arniel took calls and made several pointed statements:

1. He realized when they played in Phoenix, that his team needs a veteran presence and has discussed this with Howson. Some of it is due to the vets knowing how to handle situations, referees, etc.

2. When asked if he can win with the players he has, he responded it's his job to coach the players he has and to get the maximum from them.

3. He is discussing specific players with Howson, whether he wants them or not.

http://www.971thefan.com/live/conten...tml?item=88890

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:24 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
1. He realized when they played in Phoenix, that his team needs a veteran presence and has discussed this with Howson. Some of it is due to the vets knowing how to handle situations, referees, etc.

2. When asked if he can win with the players he has, he responded it's his job to coach the players he has and to get the maximum from them.

3. He is discussing specific players with Howson, whether he wants them or not.
http://www.971thefan.com/live/conten...tml?item=88890
Didn't they try to fix the problem in 1 with Clark, Moreau and, to a lesser extent, Pahlsson?

I like that he seems to be hinting at/being vocal about the possible need for a trade by even naming names he'd like to have. Is the "he" in "whether he wants them or not" Arniel or Howson?

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:35 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Didn't they try to fix the problem in 1 with Clark, Moreau and, to a lesser extent, Pahlsson?

I like that he seems to be hinting at/being vocal about the possible need for a trade by even naming names he'd like to have. Is the "he" in "whether he wants them or not" Arniel or Howson?
I took #3 to mean that Arniel is giving Howson his opinion on potential additions to the roster. Is that not what you got from it?

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:39 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post

Sorry- Howson is talking with Arniel about players he might have a chance to acquire and soliciting Arniel's opinion, whether he would like him on his team or would rather Howson didn't acquire him.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:47 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I took #3 to mean that Arniel is giving Howson his opinion on potential additions to the roster. Is that not what you got from it?
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure it started with his own roster. That's where you usually start. At the mid way point you should have a very good idea who is going to fit in with your on-ice plans.

With the upcoming deadline, this is the time where you determine who you want to flip.

Honestly, I'm not sure Arniel is really ready to give too much of an opinion on NHL players across the league yet. Although he probably has a good feel for some of the prospects that might be available.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:05 PM
BluejacketNut

I dont think you can just plop "veterans" in and expect them to all the sudden be the leaders...at least not in the short time we pick them up for (1 or 2 years). I think for that to be effective, they've got to be here a few years and feel they're a part of the teams future plans....I dont think the stop gap veteran thing works as well as they hope

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:10 PM
blahblah

The right veteran can make an immediate impact. It can turn an average team in a cup contender. If the room is in too bad of shape, it will obviously take longer as you indicate.

But sometimes teams are only looking for something to unite them. Sadly the Jackets need more then just that.

Having said that, Clark would not be my first choice as a difference maker in the locker room.

The right veteran could help us fight for the 8th spot. But, in reality, that's about our peak....

Old
01-14-2011, 12:44 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
That's how I initially interpreted it, but it looks like leek cleared it up & it was the other way around.

Old
01-14-2011, 12:50 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Sorry- Howson is talking with Arniel about players he might have a chance to acquire and soliciting Arniel's opinion, whether he would like him on his team or would rather Howson didn't acquire him.
Not sure I'd put a whole lot of stock in Arniel's scouting yet. But I suppose there is no harm in asking.

Old
01-20-2011, 05:39 PM
blahblah

Torg seems to be a lot better host then Rimer. Quick questions and quick answers.

Not writing this stuff down and making dinner, but here are a couple of things.

Florida game: Juice w/ less ice time/moving Calvert up - Didn't like the line even though Vermette and RJ scored. Like how Calvert, Murray, DM were going.

Calvert: Top six potential? - Has a ton of speed, great job working that penality late in the game. Up to him to prove it. They are giving him more and more.

Hardest shots in the team - Wrister - Nash, Slap shot - Klesla, Hardest Most accurate - Clitsome.

Best forechecker - Nash loves to forecheck, hardest, Boll.

Best hands - Juice - League - Datsyuk

Jake/Brass - how close are they? - Both players had great road trips. Learning to game, learning to play the game without the puck. Rounding their games out. From where they are in Sept, really improved their game. By the end of the season he hopes they are close to their potential.

Crappy goal callback - nothing new, said ref said he pushed the goalie back. Wondered if it would be called on stars around the league. It is what it was. Thought it should have been a goal.

All-star game format preference. Throw sticks on the ice in the middle, someone tosses on right/left, whatever side it ends on is what team you are on.

Last edited by blahblah: 01-20-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old
01-20-2011, 07:13 PM
EDM

It would be nice if the veterans we obtained still actually had some good hockey left in them like, say, Ray Whitney, rather than say, Chris Clark or Ethan Moreau who are veterans merely because they have played many yeas not because they actually still have something to teach the younger guys.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:33 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
It would be nice if the veterans we obtained still actually had some good hockey left in them like, say, Ray Whitney, rather than say, Chris Clark or Ethan Moreau who are veterans merely because they have played many yeas not because they actually still have something to teach the younger guys.
I am agree with Moreau but I cannot understand why did we get Clark?

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:49 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
I dont think you can just plop "veterans" in and expect them to all the sudden be the leaders...at least not in the short time we pick them up for (1 or 2 years). I think for that to be effective, they've got to be here a few years and feel they're a part of the teams future plans....I dont think the stop gap veteran thing works as well as they hope
I agree with you, and the last several attempts at injecting "veteran-ness" support your observation.

Moreau was brought in to do this. Yet has anyone ever heard Howson/Arniel mention him as part of the core leadership?

The loss of Foote (regardless of what you think about 'how' he left) hurt us on this issue and on the blueline. And dare I say it: Shelley.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:07 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I agree with you, and the last several attempts at injecting "veteran-ness" support your observation.

Moreau was brought in to do this. Yet has anyone ever heard Howson/Arniel mention him as part of the core leadership?

The loss of Foote (regardless of what you think about 'how' he left) hurt us on this issue and on the blueline. And dare I say it: Shelley.
In the post-Foote era, I got the impression that Peca and Malhotra slid into leadership roles and excelled at them, with Peca being one of the only ones who would challenge Hitch. I always thought Chimera was deserving of an A for his jersey as well.

Of course, they're all gone now. Manny wears an A for the Canucks, so evidently they think he's got leadership in him as well. (On that note, Chimmer's listed as an alternate captain for Washington.)

Old
01-21-2011, 09:44 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:

There is a lot I don't understand about Shelley and Hitchcock or Howson. Shelley played regularly in San Jose, and plays regularly in Philadelphia. I heard in a few interviews that Shelley is part of their leadership group. I don't understand why he was usually scratched in Columbus and then traded for essentially nothing.

It may not be a coincidence that the Jackets imploded when he left
I have to wonder if Hitch or Howson ran off any leader that would stand up to him. Peca, Foote, Manny, Shelley and perhaps Chimera?

Just a thought...

Old
01-21-2011, 09:51 AM
blahblah

Quote:
It may not be a coincidence that the Jackets imploded when he left
I have to wonder if Hitch or Howson ran off any leader that would stand up to him. Peca, Foote, Manny, Shelley and perhaps Chimera?

Just a thought...
Leek, Shelly left in 2007/8. The year before our playoff year. They didn't implode when he left.

Hitch didn't not run off Peca, noticed no one picked him up after we parted ways? His career was coming to an end. Hitch didn't run Manny off. Chimera and Hitch had a fine relationship, there was no reason to run anyone off there.

Shelly got moved because Hitch wanted more then an enforcer. Not because of being challenged by him. Now you can agree or disagree with Hitch's reasoning, but there was nothing more to it.

And Hitch certainly didn't run Foote off. He wanted to keep him badly.

Old
01-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

I think they "mentioned" it when they put that "A" on his sweater. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:46 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Both San Jose and Philly have enough talent to carry a player with skills as limited as Jody. We didn't and don't. As much as some gripe about Boll, he is a much better all-around player than Shelley (though not quite as useful as a true heavyweight with the same skills would be).

And the idea that a leader on the team has to stand up against the coach is flawed, at best.

Old
01-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Crede777
Deputized

I think the leadership is working. I think the problem is the consistency of our young guys, not competitiveness. Also, Vermette, Juice, and Nash need to pick it up.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:54 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Leek, Shelly left in 2007/8. The year before our playoff year. They didn't implode when he left.

Hitch didn't not run off Peca, noticed no one picked him up after we parted ways? His career was coming to an end. Hitch didn't run Manny off. Chimera and Hitch had a fine relationship, there was no reason to run anyone off there.

Shelly got moved because Hitch wanted more then an enforcer. Not because of being challenged by him. Now you can agree or disagree with Hitch's reasoning, but there was nothing more to it.

And Hitch certainly didn't run Foote off. He wanted to keep him badly.
I realize when Shelley was traded. I believe the team was in decent shape for a playoff run until the All Star break. It may have been coincidence, but the team began its death-spiral at the same time. Do you remember we were posting that for the first time in history, the Jackets could be buyers.

Old
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I realize when Shelley was traded. I believe the team was in decent shape for a playoff run until the All Star break. It may have been coincidence, but the team began its death-spiral at the same time. Do you remember we were posting that for the first time in history, the Jackets could be buyers.
That was the year Feds and Foote were traded. Probably more impacting. Seeing as we recovered the following year, I'm not putting much impact to any of those.

I think you have a point collectively it made an impact from leadership, but no this wasn't Hitch running people out of town.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I think the leadership is working. I think the problem is the consistency of our young guys, not competitiveness. Also, Vermette, Juice, and Nash need to pick it up.
Last 6 games Nash has 9 points and is +4 with 13 hits, I agree about Huselius especially, but Nash is playing pretty well right now.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
That was the year Feds and Foote were traded. Probably more impacting. Seeing as we recovered the following year, I'm not putting much impact to any of those.

I think you have a point collectively it made an impact from leadership, but no this wasn't Hitch running people out of town.
Hitch ran Shelley out of town. IIRC, Howson gave him the option of staying around or trying to move him to another team that would play him. Shelley took the 2nd option.

Edit: And I can't go into details, but Hitch ran Fedorov out of town. That was for the better though.

01-21-2011, 01:57 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Hitch ran Shelley out of town. IIRC, Howson gave him the option of staying around or trying to move him to another team that would play him. Shelley took the 2nd option.
ladadeeda

Quote:
Edit: And I can't go into details, but Hitch ran Fedorov out of town. That was for the better though.
Now that's just shocking and not part of the "leadership" thing leek was talking about.

You could follow along with my previous responses.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

As a mod, you should know better than to post unsupported accusation such as this.